Trabuco - Yeager Mesa

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by knucklebuster, Jun 14, 2015.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. knucklebuster

knucklebuster Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Megatrail
    My first time doing this loop, wow. Hardest 11.5 miles ever... 3127 ft gain... This was the easy option today :crazy:

Met Mike-O and JB coolbreeze at Holy Jim lot and off we went around 8:15. Already warm and humid in the canyon. it turned to hot going up Trabuco. And I sucked, worse than I ever remember. Lack of riding/conditioning and heat felt like near bonk and dehydration/weakness for much of the climb. Lots of breaks and hiking... thanks to the guys for waiting and cheering me on.
    011c.jpg
    Big bird shell and hand model
    009c.jpg
    Views are nice
    014c.jpg

After a break at Main Divide we head up Los Pinos. Flies are nuts by then so the head nets come out.
    020c.jpg
    Every good ride has one...
    023c.jpg
    Reached the high point, Los Pinos Peak. Garmin in the sun said 111 degrees. The air was probably mid 90s. We didn't stay long. The Bell Ridge trail that we're taking splits off just before the peak.
    027c.jpg
    030c.jpg

The upper section of Bell Ridge has some really fun, steep, techy sections, then after a mile or so, one more brutal HAB, and we make the turn onto Yeager Mesa trail. Not allot of photo ops because if you stop it's really hard to get going again, because it's steep and loose and takes toto concentration. A couple pics where we decided trying to ride would not be in our best interest :wtf:
    Looking down a sketchy section, a sharp turn at the bottom...
    035c.jpg
    And looking up from the bottom...
    036c.jpg
    Doesn't look that bad, but...
    034c.jpg

One section was especially funny/crazy, tho I got no pics, I'm sitting on my rear wheel, both brakes locked up, tripoding and sliding down the trail, just no traction. I see a bike but I don't see Mike, ah he's another 15 feet down climbing back up. Then JB comes behind me, tried to get off and slides on his butt right up to me. Steep and loose...

Finally made it to Yeager Mesa, the easy part
    037c.jpg

And like I'd have any energy left to try this (ok I wouldn't likely try this if I was fresh). There's a natural spring that fills the drop on the right with mud, so up and over is the only way.
    039c.jpg

Yeager dumps out to Trabuco trail and there's a nice fast flowy downhill back to the trailhead, nice change and happy ending after all that excitement. Post ride beers in the shade of the lot to cap it off. Great time out there, lots of suffering for me on the climb, but recovered enough to enjoy the thrills of the Bell and Yeager downhills.

2. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    2 SC and a STDM
    Nice! Mine hit 91 in the sun. That seems quite chilly compared to your run!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mikie likes this.
  3. Cougar

Cougar Well-Known Member

Name:
    Craig
    Current Bike:
    '14 Turner Burner
    I've done that loop once, and it was tough. I enjoyed Bell, but Yeager Mesa trail is no joke. I think I slid/walked most of the steep parts.

Good pics :)

Mikie likes this.
  4. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Yeager Mesa is best done during the winter months, a day or 2 after it rains....at least then, you kinda have a very small amount of traction. This time of year, it is just super dry, dusty and loose. Throw in hot and buggy as well.

Fun ride though.

knucklebuster and Mikie like this.
  5. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9, Santa Cruz Hightower
    I can see why you are a hand model... :shifty:
    ...you and George Canstanza, huh?
    Your ride report was good too! :thumbup:

6. knucklebuster

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Thx, I remember that Seinfeld episode... but not my hand, that is the hand of Mike. Mine would have callouses and cuts and a pinky pointing out a weird angle :D

Mikie likes this.
  7. spicolli1976

spicolli1976 Member

Name:
    Eric
    Great RR. One of my favorite loops!!

DangerDirtyD and Mikie like this.
  8. sir crashalot

sir crashalot Well-Known Member

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    Nice, glad you finally got out to yeager! Ill ride that loop it with ya soon...er i mean after summers over haha

9. knucklebuster

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Re-visited Yeager today with Mike and Gary sir crashalot (his first time). Perfect day for a ride in the mountains, cool/cold to start (patches of frost and crunchy frozen dirt), never got hot, dirt was gobs of traction goodness. Much different and way better than the last time in summer heat and dryness. A few pics..

"Wild" turkey in the parking lot, think he was looking for a handout. Surprised he made it through thanksgiving being such a good looking bird.
    IMAG1337.jpg

Taking a break at the Christmas tree on Trabuco. Well decorated, though a few ornaments blew off, so we re-hung them.
    IMAG1342.jpg

Gary at Los Pinos peak, Santiago peak in background
    IMAG1345.jpg

Views don't suck from los pinos peak. Los Pinos ridge and trail on the right, the pointy one on the left is Sugarloaf I think, the one that San Juan trail skirts around below cocktail rock
    IMAG1349.jpg

At the Yeager turnoff on Bell Ridge, looking back up at Los Pinos where we just came from
    IMAG1360.jpg

Someone drug this 50 pound bell up to Yeager Mesa. Wish I would have gotten a vid with sound, the thing is loud. Mike has his game face on...
    IMAG1363.jpg

That's all I got, great day in the mountains with good buddies, on super tacky challenging trails with great views. Stoked to get back up there soon.

10. ridinrox

ridinrox Well-Known Member

Name:
    Roxanne
    Current Bike:
    '16 Giant Trance Advance
    Well done gents!!

knucklebuster, Mikie and mike like this.
  11. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    Vendetta/Smash
    Props to SirCrashNot for rallying and stepping up after literally months off the spokes...nice effort, pal. :thumbsup: Good to ride again after a good long time. Way to keep the rubber down!

And, also despite not riding a lot lately, knuckles crushed and made every crux look easy, both up and down. Welcome back, bro :thumbsup:

Good team, good trail, good conditions. What a killer day...get on that shite!!!

12. sir crashalot

sir crashalot Well-Known Member

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    Thanks mike, glad you guys pushed me to do the whole loop, that was epic. Sorry I was a little indecisive at the point of no return, I think i tend to underestimate my fitness. Actually felt better later except for the quad cramping. Legs arent even that sore today.
    You both kicked a$$ on yeager and made it look easy! my favorite part was riding along bell ridge with the view down into both canyons. Parts of Yeager were bit steep for me had to walk some of it but ill do it again, still awesome.
    Holy crap i look stoned in that last pic!

13. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9, Santa Cruz Hightower
    Love that golden reflection off the ocean... priceless!
    Thanks for adding to the RR. Good to see a refresher pic of mike and Pics-O-Gary!

knucklebuster likes this.
  14. knucklebuster

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Picture slot machine jackpot. Dang I miss Trabuco-Bell-Yeager, and riding with @mike . Hoping to get back at it somewhere with sir crashalot next week :)

Want to donate to imtbtrails?