TR - Sierras exploring

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by evdog, Sep 12, 2019.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. evdog

evdog Well-Known Member

Name:
    Evan S
    Headed up to the Sierras for Labor day weekend. Will turn this into an ongoing TR thread as I have a bunch of other recent and older sierrras trips that could be of interest. Any omissions of ride locations is intentional!

Labor Day weekend 2019:

As usual had a list of way too many rides I wanted to do, and even toward the end of the drive up had still not decided which ones to hit or in what order. Finally pulled off the highway and had to flip a proverbial coin.
    Downieville would be up first.

Had left after work so it was now late at night. Needed to find a campsite as well and there is not much right around Downieville. Also wasn't sure if the road I'd be going up next day was even driveable - Trailforks listed it as 4wd road, so figured I'd drive up a ways and check it out, and hopefully find a campsite. Turned out the road was great but not many good campsites. Next thing you know I'm at the top and there was a nice flat pullout, so I crashed out there. In the morning stashed the bike away and drove back to town to set up the self shuttle.

Dropping my truck at the river. 8am and already warming up, was tempted to go for a swim

IMG_3948.jpg

Moto shuttle back to the top. Best part about doing a moto shuttle is the shuttle part is like another bike ride.

IMG_3953.jpg

Great views right off the bat

IMG_3955.jpg

There was a bit of a doubletrack traverse to start with some steep climbs and descents. When I stopped to get a photo here I could hear something huffing in the bushes below the trail. Never saw the bear but he wasn't pleased I was there....

IMG_3956.jpg

Wasn't sure what Chimney Rock would be like. It is moto trail and follows a ridge top so was expecting steep in places, but mostly it was pretty good rideable grades

IMG_3968.jpg

Some turns were armored. I loved the toothy rock edges to keep riders from cutting the corners

IMG_3974.jpg

Climbing higher views really opened up

IMG_3981.jpg

Looking back

IMG_3983.jpg

I guess this is the Chimney rock

IMG_3988.jpg

Had to break my no-selfie rule for this sweet pair of shades I found. Not being cool enough to pull these off, I left them trailside.

IMG_3990.jpg

Trail got good beyond Chimney Rock

IMG_4001.jpg

Most of the climb was good and the views were outstanding. After some more traversing and a pretty stout climb I came to the turnoff for Empire Creek trail. Empire was 100% descending, once again on moto trail. Nothing mind blowing, just a fun decent. Lots of small stream crossings and paver sections. Would not want to climb it (under my own power!)

IMG_4017.jpg

The singletrack portion of the descent was around 5 miles, ending with a wider stream crossing that I barely cleaned without getting feet wet. A couple miners were camped there and watched hoping I got wet. Sorry to disappoint! Then there was a couple miles road descent before being dumped onto the Downieville DH route above First divide. Got my fill of the DH route back into town and then got my fill with a burger, after going for a swim. I definitely liked the route. Fun as the descent was the highlight for me is the traverse on Chimney Rock with its amazing views and ridge top riding. You don't hear of many people riding it which is a shame. But of course, the shuttles don't go there so what do you expect.....

IMG_4024.jpg

After retrieving the moto I decided to head over and check out Mt Hough near Quincy. Its a ride I've wanted to do for a few years but never got around to, being a haul from Downieville. This time dropped the moto at the bottom and headed up the hill.

IMG_4040.jpg

Got to the top just in time for a golden hour descent. Saw a few motos headed down the road while I was nearing the top, otherwise had the place to myself.

IMG_4046.jpg

Super fun flowy trail. All the trail sanitizers in Socal need to go up and ride this trail, as it is their holy grail of strava-hero buffness. Maybe they'd get it out of their system and stop pulling rocks out of every trail in socal. /rant

IMG_4054.jpg

This marked the end of the trail

IMG_4056.jpg

Sunset on the moto ride back to the truck. Super silty/dusty...glad there was no other traffic

IMG_4059.jpg

Lots of other trails nearby, looks like I have a reason to come back. The shuttle is pretty short time-wise, so these other trails would turn it into a full day adventure. Would do Mt Hough again for sure... Great day on the bike!

IMG_4063.jpg

2. buggravy

buggravy Well-Known Member

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity The Smash
    So good. Thanks for taking the time to put this together. Can't wait to see this thread unfold.

3. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash
    Excellent fun mining, Evan. TFPU.

See you guys? Ev is not really a dog.

4. mtbMike

mtbMike Well-Known Member

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripmo & Intense Primer
    We had a blast on Mt Hough last year as well. Sierra Buttes is currently working on a more difficult trail up there which should be ready next season from what I've been told. Based on the investment that Yuba Expeditions has made in Quincy, I expect trail building to continue in the area. Look familiar?

SfmAP6b+Ry2DLgYjwbHIng.jpg

Luis, mountaingirl sara, mike and 8 others like this.
  5. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Tallboy Upgrade
    Always thoroughly enjoy your RRs, @evdog !!! Thanks for taking the time to put them together for the vicarious riders!

6. scan

scan Well-Known Member

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    Great pics and report, as always!!

mountaingirl sara, mike and evdog like this.
  7. evdog

evdog Well-Known Member

Name:
    Evan S
    Great to hear. I love how these areas are building so much new trail, there is always something new to draw you back on top of the existing stuff

mountaingirl sara and mike like this.
  8. evdog

evdog Well-Known Member

Name:
    Evan S
    Day 2

Following the ride on day 1 I spent a few minutes going over my ride list and trailforks as I still hadn't decided what to ride the next day. Given the distance back to Downieville, that area was out. I've been wanting to ride Donner Lake Rim Trail for ages and that was pretty close by. There is also the new-ish Big Chief trail above Truckee that is supposed to be fun. And...DLRT ends close to the start of Hole in the Ground. Could I combine those three into one big ride? Looked promising! So I started driving down towards Truckee, and eventually found a forest road off the highway where I could crash for the night.

In the morning I dropped my moto off at the end of HITG, and made the drive up to Big Chief

IMG_4066.jpg

First rock feature

IMG_4071.jpg

Second one. Noticed the high line as I rode through and had to go back and ride it.

IMG_4073.jpg

Nice view!

IMG_4074.jpg

Impressive sidewalk building.

Didn't take many photos after this. Big Chief was kinda fun. A bit of an odd trail though. Like it couldn't decide whether it wanted to be a flow trail or a rock garden with tech features, and in the end didn't do a great job of either. I'm sure I'd have more fun if I could ride it a bunch of times to figure out the flow better. But on my one and only lap it seemed too pedally and too rocky to get the speed you wanted to carry to really have fun.

IMG_4078.jpg

After finishing that part of the ride out on Sawtooth Trail and a few blocks of pavement through Truckee, it was on to a paved bike path that led up the hill right to DLRT

IMG_4081.jpg

A bit of climbing through the forest soon led to this view over Donner Lake

IMG_4084.jpg

I'd been expecting miles of techly granite and slickrock on DLRT. What I got instead was miles of contouring climbing.

IMG_4085.jpg

Back into the trees

IMG_4101.jpg

Still climbing. I was now approaching what would be the high point

IMG_4109.jpg

Almost there. Still on flowy contouring trail

IMG_4114.jpg

A fun switchback descent later and I was back climbing again

IMG_4122.jpg

Finally, here's my granite!

IMG_4125.jpg

The last mile and a half from Summit lake was rocky goodness. It was also where I saw the most hikers. Fun riding, just wish there had been more of it. It was also painfully obvious by this point I had ridden DLRT the wrong direction as it mostly climbed up from Truckee. That was hard to see on trailforks since this trail is split into 3-4 segments. I hadn't thought it would matter having assumed lots of tech riding but I won't be doing this one in that direction again.

IMG_4133.jpg

Done with DLRT and motoring right on to Norcal's BEST trail according to MTBR, Hole in the Ground

IMG_4238.jpg

Jumbo fungi

IMG_4248.jpg

Forgot how rocky this trail was in places, interspersed with nice buff sections

IMG_4249.jpg

So inviting....this was one of the few sections of HITG I remembered from riding it years ago. It's a fun trail, but the ending on dirt road and the stair step trail kind of ruins it.

IMG_4251.jpg

Finished not long before dark, stashed the MTB and hopped on the moto to go retrieve the truck. Took the scenic route.... Grabbed the truck and made it back down into Truckee in time to get dinner at Firty Fifty brewing. Great day on the bike!

DSC04750.jpg

9. scan

scan Well-Known Member

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    BEAUTIFUL!!!

mountaingirl sara likes this.
  10. evdog

evdog Well-Known Member

Name:
    Evan S
    Day 3

After some more hemming and hawing I decided on rides to round out the trip. I have an insatiable urge to explore new stuff, especially off the beaten track trails, but these are not always the easiest rides to pull off. Sometimes on trips you have to put them off for a later day. The rides I'd done so far had been put off numerous times, as had the others I now planned to hit. This trip was turning into a mission to knock long-standing bucket list rides off my list!

Wanted a shorter ride for day 3, and opted for some lines on a map I'd been staring at for some time that could be worth it...or not. Never seen much attention given to these trails. Only one way to find out!

The only certain thing was a steep price of admission

IMG_4143.jpg

Steep, about to get steeper

IMG_4149.jpg

Views opening up after some world class hike a bike. This was seriously some of the harder hike a bike I've done, and I've done plenty

IMG_4157.jpg

But totally worth it for this view alone

IMG_4165.jpg

About to cash those HAB chips in

IMG_4169.jpg

Second impression, what looked amazing was surprisingly difficult to ride because the trail was so loose and slippery

IMG_4172.jpg

More hike a bike coming up. Trail would go straight up and over the north peak

IMG_4180.jpg

Lookin' back

DSC04754.jpg

Dropping off the peak was super steep and loose, then it mellowed out as I traversed around back to the south. Every time it got nice there'd be a stream crossing, rocky chute, or something else to keep you on your toes. Great backcountry riding....

IMG_4207.jpg

Nice view down into a lower basin

DSC04759.jpg

Lots of streams flowing

IMG_4216.jpg

And lots of flowers growing

IMG_4219.jpg

There was a super steep descent down to the bottom of this basin, and then an equally steep push back up. Views were great the whole way so I didn't mind the slow pace. Was getting a bit toasty though.

IMG_4228.jpg

I've been wanting to head to Colorado in July to see the wildflowers, now I don't need to.

IMG_4232.jpg

The reward for doing the super steep HAB first was a fun descent down a less steep, but chunky and fully rideable trail, to exit the area. Then some crappy pavement riding to close the loop. Great day on the bike and turned out better than I could have hoped.

Headed down toward Lake Tahoe. Since I had plenty of time, thought I could drive up Tunnel Creek Rd and do an easy out and back on the Flume Trail. But late afternoon, and the road was blocked by a closed gate with private property signs and cameras??? Did I just miss closing hours or is this road not open to the public? WTF. Had to settle for some lake views from the highway. Of course being Labor day weekend the whole place was a shitshow of cars parked everywhere. Oh well.... Still got in a great sunset.

IMG_4256.jpg

Poofighter, Walleye, Luis and 6 others like this.
  11. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Addict

Name:
    Sara Ford
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    You know you’re killin us with those views and scenery ;)

evdog, Old&InTheWay and herzalot like this.
  12. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash
    :thumbsup::thumbsup:

evdog and Old&InTheWay like this.
  13. evdog

evdog Well-Known Member

Name:
    Evan S
    Day 4

Had to start mega early as I had a long ass drive in front of me to get home.

This would be another ride I'd been wanting to hit for ages. On the trail just after sunrise

IMG_4269.jpg

Impressive tree

IMG_4273.jpg

Trail was nice so far and continued to look promising

IMG_4281.jpg

Post ride swim looking was promising as well

IMG_4286.jpg

A bit of hike a bike never hurt anyone. This part would be fun coming down - a bunch of it later would be a hike downhill too

IMG_4290.jpg

Some fun tech riding followed

IMG_4291.jpg

Had to choose between 3-4 options up top. Went right to do the outermost loop, thinking I'd come back again and do the inner loop next. Nice trail here....

IMG_4298.jpg

The trail dropped me down to a lake. I'd already seen on satellite there would be a short bushwack over to where an old road ended, and I was not disappointed

IMG_4315.jpg

Lake looks inviting. Swimming would have to wait though

IMG_4323.jpg

Outflow of the lake

IMG_4328.jpg

The road wound through this canyon above the stream

IMG_4333.jpg

After a wet crossing there was a bit of a climb then a long dry stretch to the far end of the valley

IMG_4340.jpg

Another wet crossing. It was hot out by this point so I left shoes on to help keep me cool

IMG_4342.jpg

Took a chance on another line on a map which turned out to be some tough but scenic singletrack to close the loop. Great ride. Decided it was too hot out to do lap #2, so it was time for a swim.

IMG_4346.jpg

Since I finished early I decided later I'd have time for a lap on Lower rock creek near Mammoth. Had been a few years since I rode that. Ditch the mtb at the top and drove down to run the shuttle.

Visitor at the lower TH

IMG_4360.jpg

I thought the place would be packed being Labor Day but maybe it was just too late in the day already?

IMG_4361.jpg

I always look forward to this grove of pine trees lower down

IMG_4364.jpg

Got rained on briefly but it held off

IMG_4367.jpg

Still a ways to go. I don't ride this trail often enough to remember everything so got hung up on a few rocky turns. Went back and cleaned them. Such a fun trail.

IMG_4369.jpg

Cool view on the drive back up

IMG_4370.jpg

I'd made great time so far and got back on the road. This would be a world record for me, drive back from Tahoe area and get in 2 rides, and not be home at 3am.
    Until... traffic comes to a dead stop south of Lone Pine. Of course this was just out of cell service so I couldn't tell how far traffic was stopped. Moved maybe 500ft in 15min. The caravan of overlanders ahead crossed the median and turned back north to get onto the LA aquaduct road. Seeing them moving prompted lots of other drivers to do the same. I'd heard of drivers being turned back on the aquaduct road trying to bypass traffic jams but I saw on my garmin there was a separate powerline road that went for quite a ways. Some people were on that too. Time for some XC!

IMG_4393.jpg

Stopped traffic far as the eye could see. Some passenger cars had to go return to 395 as the dirt was too rough for them in places. At one point saw vehicles on the aquaduct road heading back north too, so maybe they did get turned back.

DSC04774.jpg

Eventually had to turn onto an old rail grade which eventually brought me back to 395. Pretty good victory passing miles and miles of slow traffic. The highway was back to 1 lane each way, and when I got a bit of coverage could see the slowdown ended in a mile or two at Olancha. Given the short distance I stayed on 395 rather than jump on another dirt road up to the aquaduct like some other drivers. Looks like the whole slowdown was due to lanes reducing from 2 to 1, and made longer by drivers taking Hwy 136 to 190 to bypass but then having to merge back in anyways.
    #winning, I guess. Arggghhhh...... So much for getting home early. Is 395 usually like this? Guess I don't see it since I usually come through much later.

Awesome trip regardless!

Speed sign says it all....

IMG_4398.jpg

CBone, herzalot, Walleye and 4 others like this.
  14. luvmammoth

luvmammoth Member

Name:
    DW
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallboy3
    We got stuck in the Burning Man traffic a couple of years ago and did the off road thing as well. However, this year we went around the lake at Lone Pine and it only added about 10 min to our normal drive. People were all doing 80mph and we pulled right up to the merge at Olancha

DangerDirtyD likes this.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?