TR-Overnight Bikepacking Trifecta

Discussion in 'Bikepacking' started by Walleye, Jun 24, 2019.

1. Walleye

Walleye Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    Bill P.
    Current Bike:
    Trek Fuel EX7
    Longtime lurker, 1st time poster. Love this site, & thought I might add a minuscule amount of beta (YRMV). End of May/beginning of June, the wife was out of town on 3 successive weekends, so I did quickie bikepacks up in Big Bear, SLO, and Wrightwood. A loaded bike is a good thing!
    The Big Bear loop was 5/18-19, starting & ending at Glass Rd. (thought I might add a bit of SART at the end, but weather conspired against me). Seven Oaks Rd. & up Radford got the blood moving; locked gates, downed trees, and a large boulder on Radford meant I had the uphill all to myself.
    upload_2019-6-24_22-26-20.jpeg
    Took Skyline west & north, & down to Hwy 18 circling BB Lake.
    upload_2019-6-24_22-28-26.jpegupload_2019-6-24_22-31-46.jpeg
    Near Fawnskin, the Grays Peak trail was closed for Eagle nesting, so I took 3N14 up to Delamar Mtn Rd., then over to Holcomb Valley & down Van Dusen Cyn Rd back to the lake. Up to Bear Mtn., Plumbers took what little gas I had left in the tank! Set up camp near the top of Radford, and slept like the dead until morning, and this:
    upload_2019-6-24_22-48-41.jpeg
    It was a cold & wet (snow turned to sleet) ride down to Glass Rd & the car!

Round 2: San Luis Obispo overnight on May 25-26. Started at Cerro Alto Campground near Morro Bay, & rode up the Bridge & C. Alto Summit trails to the TV Tower Rd, on Cuesta Ridge overlooking SLO:
    upload_2019-6-24_22-57-41.jpeg
    upload_2019-6-24_22-59-2.jpeg
    Found a cool little campsite west of the Botanical Area, set up my gear, & took my lightened bike down Botanical-Morning Glory trails, then up Shooters to the Tower rd, & back to my campsite.
    upload_2019-6-24_23-7-18.jpegupload_2019-6-24_23-8-9.jpeg
    It rained during the night, then off & on again all morning. Back down at Cerro Alto (paid some campers to let me park at their site overnight), I drove over to Montana Del Oro State Park, where Oats Peak trail goodness, more rain, & a shiitake-ton of PO awaited. Thanks to Dawn dish soap & Handiwipes after, I dodged the horror that PO can wreak! (this time)

Last One -Wrightwood overnight on June 1-2. Parked at Inspiration Pt., left my tent & gear in the car, and rode up to & then down Log Jammer (2 downed trees), then on to Leprechaun (2 more downed trees), up the fire road (1 BIG downed tree) to Jackson Lake. Boy Scout was great, as was Fenner Saddle, then it was back over to Inspiration Pt.
    upload_2019-6-24_23-29-25.jpegupload_2019-6-24_23-31-9.jpegupload_2019-6-24_23-31-40.jpeg
    Put on my bags, then rode Blue Ridge TT past Guffy, & found a nice camp spot east of the Acorn trail junction.
    upload_2019-6-24_23-36-49.jpeg
    Had a beautiful ride out the next morning; still lots of snow on Baldy & Pine Mtn.:
    upload_2019-6-24_23-38-53.jpeg
    Now, if only my lovely wife would get more weekend work trips! (she is a Flt. Attendant)

I want to thank Mikey for this fantastic site, and all the hooligan posters for the great trail info and camraderie shared -there is not another mtb site like this, anywhere! One day I aspire to go on bigger and better adventures like Evdog (esp. on the Colorado trail); until then, these overnights are the ticket. Cheers!

Danimal, Mikie, tick and 24 others like this.
  2. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    Outstanding!!! Check in more often. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Mikie, Walleye, Danmtchl and 5 others like this.
  3. evdog

evdog Well-Known Member

Name:
    Evan S
    Great first post! I do plenty of quick overnighters locally in SD. Great way to get away for a short time.

Mikie, Walleye, Old&InTheWay and 6 others like this.
  4. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    Welcome and thank you for sharing this! Great stuff!!! :thumbsup:

Mikie, Walleye, Old&InTheWay and 4 others like this.
  5. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash
    Excellent!!!! TFPU! :thumbsup:

6. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    Holy Sh!t! What an entrance... I'm glad you decided to step out of the shadows and join in the madness directly. :thumbsup:

Mikie, herzalot, Walleye and 7 others like this.
  7. Sasquatch9billion

Sasquatch9billion Well-Known Member

Name:
    trinidad j. mendez
    Wow, That is a fantastic lurker post!

Mikie, herzalot, Walleye and 7 others like this.
  8. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    That's a pretty light bikepacking rig! I see a tent, a bag, and not much else! Did you pack any clothes or food? Any pad?

9. Walleye

Name:
    Bill P.
    Current Bike:
    Trek Fuel EX7
    Thanks, all! I will be forever indebted to this site for clueing me in to the glories of Wrightwood -I love those trails, and even the fire roads (yup, the grinder road coming up from the end of Manzanita!). I'm hoping to get a chance to do the Wrightwood 50 this year, & snag a PBR from the cooler as well as the coveted DFL! You all may not realize the effects your storytelling has on the wider mtb world -I'll wager there are plenty of other riders out there who are getting a kick out of your smack-talk, and appreciating your varied ride info & gear chat. As for my rig, I've got a small backpack, too (clothing & food; no stove needed on overnights), but I'm trying to unload as much of its contents onto the bike as possible. I'd love to see Evdog give a gear list & pic, for the stuff he uses on his epic rides!

Danimal, Mikie, herzalot and 8 others like this.
  10. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, blue one, black one
    Fabulous @Walleye just fabulous, thanks for stepping up to non lurker status...:thumbsup:

11. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    Wait a minute? People have actually read those WW50 reports? People beyond the posters here?!?! I thought we wrote them just to give @herzalot something to scroll past and use the face palm emoji. Who knew!

I'll be out there for the WW50 again... Last year did not go so well, but I totally blame the gears on the bike. I plan on being back in full blown single speed shape by then. Nothing like pushing your bike up from Manzanita after 34 miles and 7500 feet. :gag: :D

Mikie, tick, herzalot and 8 others like this.
  12. Marty657

Marty657 Member

Name:
    Marty
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz TB2C
    Killer adventure and report! Looking fwd to your next one.

13. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

Maybe this year will be cooler.

At least one could dream.

14. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    I like this @Walleye guy! What a great entry. True, he's another one of you strange/demented people who like climbing, but in mentioning the Wrightwood 50 - his target is DFL! Now you're talking my game! And the prized PBR... :thumbsup:

Welcome @Walleye - great first post. Jump in waaaaaay more often please!

15. Walleye

Name:
    Bill P.
    Current Bike:
    Trek Fuel EX7
    Thanks, Herzalot! Funny story on the DFL front: I rode this year's Pioneertown ride, after reading the great reports of rides past on this site. Signed up for the Pusscake 25, as my knee was still swollen from skiing Mammoth 2 weeks prior (my son, who works there, conned me into skiing runs off the top I had no business doing, again & again!). I may have even started the ride lined up next to the illustrious Faust29, though I was too gunshy to confirm. Anyway, was having a great time, hit the 12 mi. station & all felt good (even after HAB-ing the long sandbox stretch), pressed on to the 17 mi. station, & thought, why not do the full 50? Got to the final aid station just before 1 pm, out of Tailwind (thanks for the sale, Mikey, it's good stuff!), and so quaffed some of the Boone's Farm berry sh%t they had (very kind of them, but no bueno for me). Headed back w. berry drink but no water, didn't drink, got cramps, natch, & cruised/limped back to P-town. The aid station volunteers were wonderful, & at the final station I was told several riders behind me had taken sag-wagons back to town. So, I finally made it back to the check-in, to find everyone was closing up shop, and that I'd won the coveted DFL! My first, but maybe not my last. There's a certain freedom in bringing up the rear!

herzalot, Danimal, Mikie and 4 others like this.
  16. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower/Yeti 5C
    I JUST caught up to this thread.... Fan flippin Tastic entry!
    Ahhhh! So YOU are that Bill. :thumbsup: Glad to be of service amigo! You got style brothah!
    Yeah, please don’t be a stranger, @Walleye .
    That was a sweet report.

Thank you.
    Mikie

Walleye, Voodoo Tom, mtnbikej and 2 others like this.
  17. Danimal

Danimal Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Waiting for the GG Pistol!
    Hey @Walleye thanks for the post! Enjoyed the RR. Jump in and have some fun, and continue posting. :thumbsup:

18. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    "Boone's Farm berry sh%t..." :D :thumbsup: :gag:

Mikie and mtnbikej like this.