Tour of the White Mountains

Discussion in 'Trailhead' started by Mikie, Jun 14, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

Added to Calendar: 10-13-18
  1. CBone

CBone iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    :cry:

Mikie likes this.
  2. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Okay, I’m rapidly cheering up... :whistling:

3. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    I can give you 50 miles if you want. Plenty of options down here.

4. H2oChick

H2oChick Well-Known Member

Name:
    K-Oss
    Bummer! But I agree with you Mikie on pulling the plug and your frustration. Time is precious and driving that far for a gravel grind ride just doesn't cut it for some of us. Fortunately there are some 50+ rides coming up for those who are into that stuff so that will cover you for miles ... and the company should be quite entertaining.

herzalot, Mikie, Voodoo Tom and 4 others like this.
  5. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    It's currently 11 degrees with 30 mph gusts there... Although it reminds me of home, I think I'll pass. :p

herzalot, Cornholio, kioti and 5 others like this.
  6. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    So it's a little nipply...don't let your inner SoCal weakness show! :thumbsup:

7. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    Sorry to hear, Mikie. I wouldn't drive out there to ride 50mi of gravel either. Some of the roads out there can become a sticky mess too. Much as it sucks I am glad to hear they didn't run the race on singletrack. An organizer in SD did exactly that right after a rain a few years back and made a complete mess of that trail network.

As for race organizer receiving free money, sure you could look at it that way. But also look at it from the organizer's point of view. He was never going to make much money from this event to begin with. And he's had to front a lot of the costs for organizing, setting up, and any merch ordered. He won't get those costs back either. If he had to refund everyone who didn't want to show because of bad weather or because they don't like the revised course he'd have EVERYONE backing out, and he'd lose a massive amount of money. No one would be willing to take on that kind of risk. Events like this would simply not happen. Dealing with the weather is an unfortunate part of signing up for these events. Sometimes they are perfect, sometimes they are not. Personally I don't like to pay to ride and don't like big events like this where people expect support and many need hand holding. Free also makes it easier to stomach bailing on a ride when conditions are bad.

And this: https://rockyroad5050.wordpress.com/

They don't offer refunds either, but I don't think you'll mind when you see the price

herzalot, Mikie, kioti and 3 others like this.
  8. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    And the organizer and his girlfriend hang out and share a beer afterwards! Can't beat that... :thumbsup:

Mikie, LLPoolJ and DangerDirtyD like this.
  9. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    At WW50 maybe, not AES...there's usually no one left by the time I finish those rides

Mikie likes this.
  10. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I don’t feel sorry for them, they chose the business. I don’t think ride organizers do this for the fun of it. They have to make money or they would not do it. Show me another business that can take your money and then deliver less than promised and see how long they stay in business. I still would not drive 10 hours for a dirt road ride, but if they offered a voucher for so much off another event I would at least feel some customer satisfaction. As it is, I paid full price for 50 miles of organized supported Singletrack and I get instead circles on a dirt road as a consolation? How can anyone feel good about that as a consumer?

Epic Adventures will neither get more of my money nor my support in the future.
    Lesson learned.

11. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Specy Epic, Stumpu and Enduro
    I know Rim Nordic makes very little money from there operation. They do it for the community and passion for the outdoors.

mtnbikej and Mikie like this.
  12. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Hope you did not give up to early on this ride @Mikie. I am gonna take the risk and hope the weather reports are misguided as usual. Enduro Sunday in Prescott here I come. If it rains still gonna have a great time doing something.

DangerDirtyD, mtnbikej and Mikie like this.
  13. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I did give up, still 30% chance today and 70% race day. That’s a 70% chance of them saying we are switching from the Tour of the White Mountains to Tour of some Brown Dirt Road. Was not willing to drive 20+ hours for those odds.
    I’m inconsolable right now, just pissed off. Took a day off from work today for travel, was really looking forward to this ride. I’m usually a pretty up person but just feel I got dealt a Sh!t sandwich for 230 bucks. Wahhhhhhh! :cry::(

DangerDirtyD, LLPoolJ and mtnbikej like this.
  14. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    It's just money my friend, you will make more tomorrow. Cheer up buttercup!

mtnbikej, DangerDirtyD and Mikie like this.
  15. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    Or the White Mountains in NH.. add a 2 in front of that 30mph and now you’re talking Mt. Washington numbers.

0708C357-3D95-4F74-87D1-894A2B4D8A70.png

16. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Is that you at Tuckerman?

Mikie and Cornholio like this.
  17. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name: