Tools

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by TwoWheel Eric, May 27, 2017.

1. TwoWheel Eric

TwoWheel Eric Member

Name:
    Eric
    Current Bike:
    TallBoy 3 29"
    Hey All,

So I've decided to replace some old tools in my box...some are old (since high school) and cheap and I finally asked myself, why don't you treat yourself to some quality stuff. Now, I have some decent tools purchased in recent years, mostly craftsman and a pretty good selection of bike tools, but I would some some general tools, such as adjustable wrenches, metric box wrench set, nice allen wrenches, pliers, and wire cutters, digital tire inflator, cord reel and the such.

I know Park has a great rep for bike tools, but what about for their general tools such as above? US made and lifetime warranty. So opinions on buying, Park, Craftsman (any good these days since Sears has run into financial trouble?) or something else? I'm willing to spend the extra money to have something really nice like Park but probably not going to spend the mega bucks for Snap On for example. I've got my Amazon cart full of Park and ready to go.

Also cordless drill suggestions....makita, dewalt, porter cable, black and decker or??

Bvader, how's the park allen set working out?

Thanks for any tips.

Danmtchl, mike, Cyclotourist and 5 others like this.
  2. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    If Craftsman still has a lifetime warranty, then they're good - and I have never, not once, had to warranty a Craftsman tool.

For bike-specific stuff Park is great, though expensive. But then, I'm old enough to go quality instead of cheap. My 2 cents.

Adjustable wrenches are of the devil. Avoid them.

Personally, I abhor cordless tools. Battery power is never enough, and dies too soon. That's just me. I want to be able to plug it in since I'm working in my garage, and not somewhere else.

3. Danmtchl

Danmtchl Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2015 Devinci Troy Carbon 27.5
    There are a few tool companies now other than Park Tool. Pedros, Birzman, Abbey Tool, to name just a few. Obviously Park is the most common.

As for power tools, i am extremely biased because i was a rep for Ryobi, Rigid and Milwaukee. Those would be the best

4. rossage

rossage iMTB Addict

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    I use Park for most applications. Got Pedros ball end Allen wrenches and chaintool. Craftsman socket set
    Park TS 2.2 truing stand and PC-10 workstand.

5. Redman

Redman Well-Known Member

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Nomad CC 27.5
    For bike tools I use Spin Doctor (performance brand). Unless they don't make what I need, then I go with Park. I have had really good luck with the spin doctor stuff. Non bike specific tools are craftsmen & snap on depending on the tool itself. My bike stand is a spin doctor that I've had for probably 15 years and it's still going strong.

6. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS
    Do not buy any non-bike specific tools from Park/Pedros/etc. You are just paying extra prices to have matching handles.

For Hex wrenches Bondhous is the way to go. Lifetime warranty on them rounding off. Plus they offer metric with ball ends. My 15 year old set is still perfect.

Abbey makes some really nice bike specific tools.....but the prices are crazy, especially for a home mechanic.

Park/Pedros stuff is nice. Most of it will last you years of work in your garage.

7. Redman

Redman Well-Known Member

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Nomad CC 27.5

Good point on the bondhous!!!!

8. MolarM

MolarM Member

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    I like Park and Pedro's for bike specific, Craftsman for general.
    I recently treated myself to a pair of chain masterlink pliers- they're awesome! After years of rigging things to separate the link- this works perfect. Everyone will love this

http://www.parktool.com/product/master-link-pliers-mlp-1-2

mike, TwoWheel Eric, Danmtchl and 3 others like this.
  9. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    Yeah, I picked that up a while back because I prefer using the proper tool for the task. Best $12 I've ever spent. :thumbsup:

10. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dennis (AKA Dio)
    Current Bike:
    2013 Trek Slash 9 (26er)
    Bosch for cordless drill. I typically use Kobalt for the general stuff.

11. Danmtchl

Danmtchl Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2015 Devinci Troy Carbon 27.5
    Who couldn't use an Abbey Carbon/ Ti hammer in their tool box?carbon Ti hammer.jpg

12. da big hills

da big hills Member

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    I use a B&D cordless 18V. It is awesome. I also use Porter Cable cordless set. I rebuilt my cabin in the woods using this stuff. I love my cordless tools, and take them on the big jet airliner when I go work on my old cabin.

TwoWheel Eric and Danmtchl like this.
  13. Oaken

Oaken Member

Name:
    CeeJay
    I too dislike the battery tools - although they have come a long way since they were first introduced.
    As far as hand tools - I enjoy going to estate sales in nicer neighborhoods.
    Once in a while there will be a wonder garage. Lots of old Craftsman made with US steel to be had. :thumbsup:
    I collected enough to kit out my kid's toolbox, which he got for his 18th birthday.
    I used his great-grandpa's Craftsman toolbox for it (which had cheapie tools in it.)

14. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Pick one, got a few
    Dad taught me how to wrench on stuff as a kid. We were poor and I was small enough to fit under the vehicles so there was a method to his madness. At about 16 I did a clutch replacement job for one of my dads buddies. This guy seriously weighed just about as much as his car and was in no shape to do it himself. Never even talked about payment with him but when the time came he showed up with boxes & boxes of tools, I mean good tools like snap on & Proto everything. Seems he had a job for the city as a purchaser and spent other peoples tax dollars getting his car fixed. Worked out to be a pretty darn good deal for me as I still have em all some 30+ years later.

tick, HBkites, littlewave and 11 others like this.
  15. RS VR6

RS VR6 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Lee
    Current Bike:
    Banshee Shartfire/Chiner 29r
    I have some Craftsman socket wrenches. I buy a lot of random stuff from Harbor Freight. Yes it's cheap...but I won't feel too bad if end up losing it. I have yet to have one of their tools fail or ruin a part. Cordless drill...I have a Makita. I had a Snap On socket wrench. Nobody but me touched it...then I lost it.

Bike tools I just get the Park Tools. They are fairly common and reasonably priced...sometimes. I also have a Titan Price Point house branded torque wrench...that I used one time. For my bar, stem, seat clamp bolts I have a Topeak Torqbox and Ritchey Torque Key.

Friend of mine has to have the fancy bike tools...I just use whatever gets the job done.

16. Racer X

Racer X Member

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Kona Explosif
    My 2 cents (or 7 cents with CA tax)

For bike tools, I've had good luck with Park but I only buy when it's a needed bike-specific tool

Wiha makes some nice screwdrivers with hard tips. I've had Klein and Craftsman screwdrivers fail, soft tips.
    https://www.wihatools.com/screwdrivers/microfinish-non-slip-grip

Cordless Drill, I'm also in the market to get one. Wait for Father's Day specials. Father's day and Black Friday have the best deals but watch out for the cheapie specials where tools are just low grade to get you suckered into a brand. Amazon already has $20 off $100 on certain Makita and DeWalt tools. Home Depot is already offering some lower prices on the $99 stuff and free batteries for some Makita and Milwaukee combo sets but you have to dig in their site to see the free battery offers. Brushless is the new buzz in cordless. It's supposed to increase battery life and last longer, but costs more. Get a tool that is comfortable and fits your needs. I see people use 5 pound, $400 drills to fix a door hinge because that is all they have. Overkill.

Check out charge times and battery costs too when comparing tools. Watch out for $99 drill specials with one battery. A second battery will be $70 but a kit with two batteries in the first place is always cheaper...some even include a second tool and battery at a $150 price point.

---------

Stanley, Craftsman, Porter Cable, Black and Decker, DeWalt are all owned by the same parent company.
    Ryobi, Ridgid and Milwaukee brands are all under TTI.

Just examples of free battery:
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauke...12-6-0Ah-Battery-2407-22-48-11-2460/301560573

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072L3NVKX/?tag=imtbtrails-20

Or $20 off $100
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LZ5I02O/?tag=imtbtrails-20

On sale and on special
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0183RLVSQ/?tag=imtbtrails-20

Good luck!

17. TwoWheel Eric

TwoWheel Eric Member

Name:
    Eric
    Current Bike:
    TallBoy 3 29"
    Thanks everyone for the advice. Definitely going to get the Park chain link tool! And I like the look of the Pedros allen keys since the set also comes with a torx-25.

So how do I place an Amazon order so that IMTB gets the credit? Do I just add this. /?tag=imtbtrails-20 to the url and then place it in my cart?

mtnbikej, Danmtchl, MolarM and 2 others like this.
  18. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dennis (AKA Dio)
    Current Bike:
    2013 Trek Slash 9 (26er)
    Click on one of the Amazon links below and search for your items through there.

TwoWheel Eric, mtnbikej and Danmtchl like this.
  19. emejay

emejay Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    jay elliott
    Lots of good advice here on this thread....I have found it wise to buy the highest quality screwdrivers, hex keys, and wrenches as they "bite" precisely and don't "round off". Park Tools are worth the $$ for specific bike use, and I like the pretty blue color. Harbor Freight is good for disposable or several use items (like a brass wire bristled brush).
    As much as I like precision and quality, I buy junk cordless drills at Harbor Freight ( under $30, and less with a coupon) as the battery lasts me about 4-5 years then you toss the whole damn thing. I was shocked to see what they charge for a replacement battery for my old Makita....although a superior product compared to the HF, I don't use a cordless drill it enough to justify the cost.

Danmtchl and mtnbikej like this.
  20. Racer X

Racer X Member

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Kona Explosif
    Home Depot started their Father's Day sale today on many tools.

Danmtchl likes this.
  21. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara Well-Known Member

Name:
    Sara Ford
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    Looking to buy a bike stand but I don’t want to shell out $200 for Park Tool brand...any suggestions? :)

Danmtchl likes this.
  22. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS
  23. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara Ford
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
  24. rossage

rossage iMTB Addict

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Unfortunately, that's the price for a good work stand these days. I would recommend the Feedback sports stand over the Park Pcs-10 but they both cost about the same.

25. Diytypeofguy

Diytypeofguy Member

Name:
    Henry Sanchez
    Current Bike:
    XC
    Go on offerup. I got my stand brand new for $35. That’s the going price and it gets the job done. I’m not paying $200 for a stand. I sometimes see used park stands for $75 and even cheaper but the best deals are gone quick..

-Henry

Danmtchl and mountaingirl sara like this.
  26. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara Ford
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    Never heard of that brand, will look it up, thanks:thumbsup:

Danmtchl likes this.
  27. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara Ford
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    Thanks Henri, I can do $75..I’ll look for preowned!

Danmtchl likes this.
  28. HBkites

HBkites Well-Known Member

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    Why Cycles S7
  29. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara Ford
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
  30. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS

Feedback Sports is the one I linked above.