Too Much for A Mtn. Bike?

Discussion in 'Free Zone' started by Stkx66, Aug 9, 2021.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Derkderkall

Derkderkall iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
  2. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    I am spoiled now. Now that I have ridden top end bicycles, I don't want to go back. I may just stick mostly to the used market, but I don't want a cheap bike anymore. I just spent about $1000 in maintenance parts for my road bike. Maintenance parts (chainrings, cassette, chains, tires, BB, cables, etc). 100% yes that road bike that would probably be $8000 today new rides better than a $4000 bike. A LOT BETTER. But I spent all that money on maintenance parts to keep it riding like a high end bike because I love how it rides.

I got my MTB for a steal at about $5000 new as a leftover model that had an MSRP of about $9000. Would I save up and buy it for $9000? In retrospect, yes. But I also spend a lot on maintaining that bike too. I am keeping both those bikes as long as possible.

My XC bike I bought used for $4000.

Meanwhile I just bought a old motorcycle for less than $2000 for taking to the track. Trying to decide how much I want to spend on a commuter motorcycle right now.

Cyclotourist, Faust29, mike and 9 others like this.
  3. senderos_949

senderos_949 Member

Name:
    Randy Morris
    Current Bike:
    Marin Mt Vision Pro
    Pre-COVID supply interruption, seems like there was a fair amount of blingy, high-end bikes showing up on OC CL that were purchased, frame wrapped in protective tape, and ridden for a year and then sold (before substantial depreciation) to buy the next big thing.
    At least that's my guess based on some the CL listing stories ("I never registered the frame so new buyer can get the warranty") - seems like an interesting strategy to always be riding the "latest and greatest" for the cost of deprecation ($500-$100o) a year.

4. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    BAM!
    I'm right there with you... :thumbsup:

5. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    @Sidewalk, I hope you reconsider commuting on moto. Everything else you wrote I can get behind. :)

6. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    Most of my commuting will still be on the bicycle. But there are a lot of times I want to go run errands, or maybe go for a run somewhere out on a trail or just get away from people and I have to chose between driving the ambulance or my bicycle.

I've been riding motorcycles for 20 years, much longer than I was pedaling. I got into pedaling because of motorcycles.

Cyclotourist, Mikie, Faust29 and 8 others like this.
  7. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    I understand the convenience factor. I’ve been tempted many times to buy a moto.

I’d opt for a Corolla or similar cheap car I can transport a bag of groceries or large items like a bike with if needed. Or bivy in in a pinch.

Sorry to be pushy. I have a dead friend because of moto commuting. Not if, but when became a popular slogan for a reason. I trust your riding; I don’t trust the public’s driving. Take care.

Cyclotourist, Mikie, buggravy and 8 others like this.
  8. Stkx66

Stkx66 iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower 27+/ 29r
    +1 Yep, I bought this car for $3,000. 2007 HHR with 140,000 miles on it. Doesn’t use a drop of oil, chilly coldA/C. We drive the crap out of this car. We don’t worry about dents or dings going to Home Depot, Costco or Vons. We go to dinner in it frequently. The slogan “ when you go down “ is real. I’d also choose a small car over the motorcycle for commuting as well.

39E5B271-D814-4E1B-BC38-CC896B2DC575.jpeg

Cyclotourist, Mikie, mike and 9 others like this.
  9. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    If I had a nickel for every time I heard that. I commuted for over 30 years and covered over 500k miles. Surprisingly, I never went down. I was rear-ended once and sideswiped once. Not sure how, but I managed to stay upright. Now, if you want to count how many close calls I had, then that's a different story. :whistling:

Cyclotourist, Sidewalk, Mikie and 8 others like this.
  10. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals

As stated so succinctly by @UPSed above, I've had several hundred thousand miles on motorized two-wheeled contraptions. My death machine of choice was the Honda Gold Wing - Cadillac of motorcycles. I had three of them, rode them into the ground (none literally).

In 30 years on them I've never been hit. Forced off the road once. Self-destructed thrice, due to boneheaded moves:

Once at 45 mph - the ONE time I did not cross RR tracks at a 90 degree angle. It was drizzling. I was on a Yamaha 125 with knobbies. Front tire followed the tracks. Superman emulation ensued. Minor scrapes/bruises.

Once at 60 mph, my dad was piloting the Honda 450. Two lane road. Rear tire blew out, down we went but luckily to the right of the road. Abrasions, pain, two weeks of "why did I make that particular move." Helmet was unscathed.

Once at 70 mph, after a few brewskies and heading home on my Yamaha XS 1100. Tried to take a cloverleaf onramp from the strip joint on Miramar Road to the 805 south. Damned Pinto gas caps. Lost my moto in the sagebrush. Helmet was thrashed. When I found it the stereo was still playing but the fairing was cracked in two places, windshield was gone, left saddlebag had detached, steering head was deformed. It hurt to ride it home.

Bonus: Riding back to the barracks at North Island one rainy night (11 pm or so) on I-5, I managed to avoid a wicker chair just in time.....

I don't ride motos anymore.

The point of the above is that the average motorcyclist is way more dangerous to himself than any other driver might be. I can't count the number of times I've watched crotch-rocket nimrods create their own possible demise.

If you are reasonably alert, and keep your machine reasonably maintained, the traveling public is not your problem. You are your own worst problem.

Much as with bicycles, the factor of rider ineptitude or culpability is often downplayed or dismissed.

Cyclotourist, Sidewalk, Mikie and 6 others like this.
  11. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Everyone in Buffalo follows this recipe- beater car for the winter! FTW!

Extra credit if you can fit your fist through the rust holes. :Roflmao

Cyclotourist, Mikie, mike and 5 others like this.
  12. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Glad you moto riders lived through it.

I did, too. When the panel truck u-turned left in front of me I had nowhere to go. I was not speeding. Rather than dart straight into it broadside, I managed to lay the 750 down and impact the side of the bike. My FF helmet was still locked on the bike on that side, which broke the helmet but saved my leg. My GF on the back, also helmet-less, ended up with only a knee laceration. Bike was totaled; my dad refused to allow another, which was the right call. Not because I was 16, but because drivers too often don’t look for or see a rider.

Cyclotourist, Faust29, Mikie and 6 others like this.
  13. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Other specifics aside, perhaps using the helmet to protect the left side of the bike wasn't its highest, best use.....

Just sayin.....

14. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    I used to cruise with mine on my elbow. Good thing I never crashed with it there as I probably would have broken my arm.

Cyclotourist, Faust29, Mikie and 4 others like this.
  15. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    You should see what they do in Colorado....if your bike costs less than the rusted Subaru to which it is attached, you are ostracized and made to grovel.

Cyclotourist, Faust29, Mikie and 3 others like this.
  16. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    It was absolutely its best use that day. I would never have walked away or lettered in track without the helmet right where it was. I never made a habit of riding with it there – in fact it was the only time I recall doing it during the short time the bike was my primary ride.

17. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    2010 Honda Civic commuter with 300,000 miles on it. Bought it when it had 110,00 miles on it for $10k. Only defects to date is the cruise control stopped working and the gas cap cover trigger broke.
    Sometimes guys at work ask me why I drive such a beater. I tell them my goal is to get back and forth to work. I'm not here to flash a nice ride. Who at work am I here to impress with what I drive? I would rather spend my money on more important things. Cars aint it for me. ;)

18. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    2003 GSX-R 1000.

Bought from a retired Marine 1stSGT who bought it new as a retirement gift to himself. 33,000 miles, looks well taken care of. 20 years old so it needs some TLC (and a quieter exhaust). Took about 5 minutes of riding to feel like home. Probably take a couple weeks to get used to the power again though :Roflmao

GSXRright.jpg

19. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

Subtle

:Roflmao:Roflmao:Roflmao:Roflmao:Roflmao:Roflmao

20. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    Yeah, it is worse in person. The paint is really nice, but there are A LOT of decals that aren't obvious in the low res photos.

21. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Beautiful little monster. :coffee::speechless:

Sidewalk, Danmtchl and mtnbikej like this.
  22. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Sidewalk and Danmtchl like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?