Too Much for A Mtn. Bike?

Discussion in 'Free Zone' started by Stkx66, Aug 9, 2021.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Stkx66

Stkx66 iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower 27+/ 29r
    Fueledbyex8, Mikie, HBkites and 7 others like this.
  2. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Whatever the market will bear. I think it'll bear a lot... :eek::stop:

Mikie, Danmtchl, Voodoo Tom and 3 others like this.
  3. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Too rich for my blood. :eek:

Mikie, Danmtchl, Voodoo Tom and 2 others like this.
  4. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    Similar to Dell computers, the majority of bike manufacturers don't make bikes. They make frames, and hang parts on them.

If you look at this build, you can easily price out the SRAM xx1 drive train, the SRAM G2 brakes, the Fox Factory Live 34 fork, the wheelset, tires, etc. Then choose the carbon frame of choice and add it in... and it ain't $13K.

To put it in perspective, my 2019 Santa Cruz Hightower CC (carbon) with SRAM XX1 drive train, Shimano XTR brakes, Fox Factory Float 36 fork, Race Face ARC 27 wheelset with DT Swiss 350 hubs... etc... cost $6,216 after tax and delivery. Granted a couple of components weren't quite at the same level as the prior build (primarily those fine carbon rims) but still. The prior bike isn't worth more than TWICE what my bike cost.

Maybe it's the Covid effect. Given all the insanity, I think I'm going to be riding my bike for a long time...

Mikie, Cyclotourist, Danmtchl and 2 others like this.
  5. Agent Orange

Agent Orange Member

Name:
    Yokel Legend
    Current Bike:
    '98 Specialized FSR Comp
    Nobody needs a $13,000 bicycle. They want it.

To be fair, KTMs are grossly overpriced as well.

Mikie, HBkites, Cyclotourist and 5 others like this.
  6. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo

Mikie, Danmtchl and Faust29 like this.
  7. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    Bite your tongue!! As somebody who owned almost every major brand in 40+ years of riding dirt bikes (no Suzuki's though), KTM is in a league all by themselves for people that like to get off the beaten track. I can honestly say I never once took one of my 4 stroke KTM's in for a repair. They were bullet-proof. Besides, no knowledgable buyer pays retail. I used to buy at end of season and usually from a dealer in AZ. I have multiple friends that have the KTM posted in the original post. It's one sexy bike.

Mikie, Cyclotourist, Stkx66 and 4 others like this.
  8. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I like being able to see the edit history of messages. :Roflmao

~JB~, Mikie, Danmtchl and 6 others like this.
  9. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    Meh. BikeCo posted this today ... I almost jumped on it because I initially thought it included the cassette. Allegedly. :Roflmao

upload_2021-8-9_19-52-25.png

Mikie, HBkites, Danmtchl and 5 others like this.
  10. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    Oh..i did not know that :laugh:....

On topic though, I wouldn't pay 13k for a bicycle, but been known to spend half that. :sneaky:

Fueledbyex8, Mikie, Danmtchl and 4 others like this.
  11. Stkx66

Stkx66 iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    8-9K maybe.. I could understand but 13k? No. Don't you think that KTM has far more of an investment in parts and technology, manufacturing than a simple mtn. bike with electric shifting? Where's the beef? It's a mountain bike! My neighbor bought a used 2019 Nissan Leaf for 12K with less than 10,000 miles on it for example. That Pivot is way over priced.

Mikie, Cyclotourist, Danmtchl and 3 others like this.
  12. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Call me frugal in my older age......I don't think a $6000, let alone a $13k bike is gonna ride any better than a $4k bike.

I'd prefer to buy lower and upgrade as I wear Sh!t out.

Don't bother with the comparisons when it comes to other items.....we are talking bikes here.

13. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    An expensive surfboard is $1000 now.

SnakeCharmer, Mikie, HBkites and 4 others like this.
  14. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    I want a new bike. Not sure what to buy though. I hardly ever ride anymore, so something for a relative fattie.

Fueledbyex8, herzalot, Mikie and 6 others like this.
  15. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Singlespeed will knock fifteen years off your fitness while you have cheap fun. :)

Fueledbyex8, Mikie, Obsidian and 2 others like this.
  16. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    My new surfboard would have cost that, but I new someone who knows someone…. and I only paid $650 with a set of fins

herzalot, SnakeCharmer, Mikie and 2 others like this.
  17. Stkx66

Stkx66 iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    I own a 2010 KTM 530 Six Days Dual Sport. I rode it last year July in Richfield, Utah for about 150 miles. Recently I took it to 3 Bros Racing for an idle issue but having 7,000 miles on it was due for a top end rebuild after failing a leak down test. That cost me about $1,600. My KTM has been sitting for more than a year unused. I'm considering parting ways with it because I like mountain bikes a whole lot more. At least 2 riders in my Enduro Club have the new 2021 KTM 500 Dual Sport and really like them.
    I suppose it may not be fair to compare what one might pay for motorcycles and cars against a mtn. bike. I'm guilty of having spent a bunch on mountain bikes. No regrets! Suppose that Pivot was 2k less. Still to much. At least for me. I'm done spending big bucks on mountain bikes ( at least for now :cautious: ) But if I read another article calling my 2018 S.C. Hightower a great Dad's bike well...:cool: ( I'm still going to ride it after all I've made my bed and I still have another frame in the box waiting to be put into service ) If I can find that article I'll post it. :rolleyes:

Mikie, Danmtchl, Old&InTheWay and 6 others like this.
  18. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    I totally get it. When I finally sold my last bike (450XCF), the flame has burned out. I just wasn't getting the "rush" from dirt biking any longer. I'm sure part of it was having to travel such long distances to enjoy the backcountry riding I enjoyed but I also don't miss putting all that gear on for every ride. We may get a SxS next year as they are street legal here.
    I'm with you on MTB's as well. Luckily, that's all I spend money on as I don't have 3-4 other hobbies to support. All my bikes are in the $7-8000 range if I bought them built "was is" but in reality, I usually buy a new frame and move parts around. One set of NOX wheels are on their 3rd bike. Selling old parts to make some $$ back has been much easier during COVID as well. RIDE ON!!

Mikie, Cyclotourist, Danmtchl and 5 others like this.
  19. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    And no worn out tires, brakes, cassettes, bearings, chains to deal with. Not to mention that there arent any hikers or all those pesky rocks that get in the way.

But you do have the cougar/bear equivalent swimming silently below you. To bad I'm not a huge fan of getting in the ocean.

Mikie, Danmtchl, herzalot and 4 others like this.
  20. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    There are a metric Sh!t ton of other surfers at times all vying for the same wave, and yes, there are plenty of rocks. My feet get cut up or bruised almost every time I surf Trestles due to barnacle covered rocks. And many surf spots have rocks above the surface to navigate. But yes, surfboard maintenance is pretty simple. Throw some wax on it. $1.50 a bar. There wouldn't be a "What have you done to your surfboard recently" thread on a surf forum.

But N+1 is FIERCE in surfing. I only need/want one bike, but I always "need" another board desperately! So y'know, 5-7 boards and you are now in new MtB territory financially.

Mikie, Sidewalk, mtnbikej and 4 others like this.
  21. Agent Orange

Agent Orange Member

Name:
    Yokel Legend
    Current Bike:
    '98 Specialized FSR Comp
    I didn't say they were bad, just overpriced. Kost Too Much.

22. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Meh....what doesn't that's worth having? I saw a Ford F150 on display at Costco the other day....$71000!!!

Danmtchl, Stkx66, Mikie and 3 others like this.
  23. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    I agree. However I can state definitively that a gold cassette makes you faster than a black one. And if your cassette is silver... you may just as well stay home :)

herzalot, tick, Mikie and 4 others like this.
  24. HBkites

HBkites Well-Known Member

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    Why S7, Revel Rascal, Spark RC
    These silly conversation are always amusing...

If it is too expensive don't buy it!
    If you decide that something is too expensive don't judge someone else who is willing to spent his money on something you think is "over priced".
    Markets and products' prices adjust to supply and demand. When you spend you are supporting current prices.
    For me, life is about the choices you make, and the consequences of your action.

(If you read my post and think it's a bunch of BS... I agree)

25. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Two grand above a $4k price tag will shave some weight and get carbon parts to absorb some vibration. So, despite my assertions in the last couple of years that bike weight is over-emphasized, I do believe that there is a performance difference at those price points. All else being equal, less weight and more comfort means faster/farther and easier recovery. How much? Not a lot. Worth the money? You decide.

26. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Awesome! :whistling::p

27. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Uhhh...
    it's a forum... :whistling::D

28. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
  29. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Which isn’t to say that a different iteration of the same topic we’ve discussed dozens of times is not silly and amusing… :geek::p Faulty memory helps keep the topic fresh. :gotnothing:

Cyclotourist, Mikie, herzalot and 5 others like this.
  30. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    You’d be surprised how many people buy $10K + bikes. Most of those models sellout before lower end models. I’d be willing to bet we sell a few a month. We Just sold an S-Works Epic to some guy in Wyoming, who is coming to pick it up, from Wyoming….

Cyclotourist, Stkx66, mike and 9 others like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?