To Pad or Not to Pad... That is the Question...

Discussion in 'Shorts' started by Mikie, Jun 2, 2021.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

?

Do you wear a pad in between yo azz and the saddle?

1. Yes! Always

69.2%
  2. Yes! Only on Long Rides.

11.5%
  3. Nope! I'm a hardazz, maybe in more ways than one...

19.2%
  1. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    I have always worn a pad since I can remember, but when I was a kid growing up in LA, I’d ride my bike to the beach in boardshorts and never had a problem. I may have give it a try and see how it goes.

2. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    Why, yes he did. We still need to get the iMTBtrails hotties poster in the hands of the masses.

Cyclotourist, Danmtchl and Mikie like this.
  3. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    I remember that one. There are many many threads on MTBR that are facepalm worthy. That one really rose above. I wasn't shocked that people don't wear a chamois but was definitely shocked at how much vitriol they can spew against those who do. Anti-maskers alive and well long before covid.

Maybe this pic from the shorts @Mikie recommended would have helped MTBR sort out that discussion. @Faust29 can we have a translation?

[​IMG]
    diaper.jpg

4. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    That's hilarious...
    To be honest, the top guy is how I feel wearing baggies in general with a separate chamois. Personally, I preferred Pearl Izumi Attack Lycra roadies wear. Light, tight, way cooler in hot weather, no hang up on the nose of your saddle, did not droop down to show your plumber's crack on climbs. Baggies only serve one purpose. To look good before and after the ride, to drive to and from the trailhead, and to hold your wallet and keys when getting Tacos and a Brew afterwards. But you can change into those before and after the ride. Baggies are a fashion statement, not a performance product.
    I prefer Lycra, but Hooligan peer pressure demands Baggies...:(

But the above Baggies do rock! :thumbsup:

5. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    I wonder if these things would offer adequate padding comfort? It sure would be nice to not have to stop to pee. :D

7CD07E36-9AE6-4F3D-97D7-51A4CE4255BB.jpeg

Mikie, Faust29, Cyclotourist and 2 others like this.
  6. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    The problem is you’re wearing it wrong

A4AA37A8-384C-4EFD-BEB5-37D5109656B3.jpeg

Mikie, Faust29, Cyclotourist and 4 others like this.
  7. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    I’m down, @Mikie.

A pad can be useful if forced to wear a monster pack. Otherwise, it Depends.

Meaning the sponge will saturate, wash away skin oil and damage unprotected skin. Maybe you don’t sweat.... Even without, say, a leather saddle, you can use any seat that’s decent and get away with it if you start doing it.

I haven’t diapered up in who knows how long. Wool/synth boxer briefs and shorts. I believe you can train your contact point to perform better just like other aspects of your body. I know you can beat nerves into submission. Like ballet dancer and climber shoes and feet.

Riders reluctant to explore their pain threshold get to be diaper slaves. Start gradually and be liberated.

FWIW, I’ve had best success with:

WTB Volt 142mm wide
    WTB Pure V 148
    Selle Anatomica Titanico X leather
    Smartwool wool/synth boxer brief, Ex Officio synth boxer brief

Used for bikepacking, endurance trail riding, commonly over 10 hours a day. Freedom!!!

Mikie, Faust29, Danmtchl and 6 others like this.
  8. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Just got an Ergon SM. (Not meaning Small). Wish me luck!

And yes - I am not quite cool enough to explore the pain threshold, so I will be a diaper slave.

Mikie, Faust29, Danmtchl and 5 others like this.
  9. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    The weez is doing it, too. So it isn't about being a man, Adonis. :geek:

Mikie, Faust29, Danmtchl and 3 others like this.
  10. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Congrats!!!

I changed it for you.

Mikie, Faust29, Cyclotourist and 4 others like this.
  11. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    I have the SM Pro saddle and love it, probably the best one I’ve owned.

Mikie, mtbMike, Faust29 and 1 other person like this.
  12. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    That's funny... Up top is: Attached Pad, Not separable, Dressed like a diaper, I'm so ashamed. Bottom is: Comfort and Complete Freedom!

Mikie, Old&InTheWay, herzalot and 4 others like this.
  13. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Well.... it Depends.... :sneaky:

herzalot likes this.
  14. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    All of that was very well said!
    Since everyone has a unique shaped azz, saddle recommendations are always subjective. But I am willing to wager that with the right saddle that meets personal pref’s, it would only take a little time to go sans Stay FREE! :geek:

Cyclotourist, mike and Faust29 like this.
  15. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Stay Free is a bad choice of words considering the discussion and the area involved.

Mikie likes this.
  16. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    ...and precisely why I chose it! :sneaky::laugh:

herzalot likes this.
  17. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    :rolleyes:

Mikie likes this.
  18. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    I was pleasantly surprised riding with the very minimal shamwow in triathlon bibs. It definitely beats cheap shorts that have very squishy padding that just becomes a chafe zone.

(I know the old time legends would do Ironman in a Speedo. But not me....)

herzalot, Mikie and mike like this.
  19. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    I'll be the last to bet against you. Most of us have experimented through the years to figure out what works. I never had sit bones measured, but I believe Special Ed shops have a device for it. That could expidite the search.

Obviously leather saddles have the reputation for ultimate comfort, if you get a shape that agrees with yours and maybe break it in some. I lucked out with mine out of the box. But the shapes of most of these saddles, mine included, are not good for tech riding where you are all over the saddle, and possibly terrible for standing over the bike with a pack that has any straps/cordage on the back. That's where I go to a WTB saddle. But honestly, as I inferred before, I think you (I) can train that contact point to take more, and at that point the exact saddle is not as critical.

Not to be overlooked is leg power. Mashing vs spinning takes an unbelievable amount of weight off your ass, likewise obviously with standing breaks and SS riding. On tour I'll get beat up the first day or two then it subsides as I get stronger. I have a lot of spinner DNA, so it took some discipline to pedal harder. The singlespeed has been a great tool there – it's literally helped keep me off the diaper.

Human-powered disciplines are more fun with an edge, but getting/keeping it takes a commitment. Ditching the pad is part of that for me. To me the MTB pad is a leftover convention from road biking. The last straw might have been that video of those guys gunking their pad with a half tube of Butt'r and sliding it on while whincing. Fukking gross, man!

Cyclotourist and Mikie like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?