Tires

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CBone, Jan 16, 2015.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. CBone

CBone iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    I was reading UPSed's ride report and saw that he is running Conti Mountain Kings. I have been looking for some good tires and came across a killer deal for some UST Kings. Thanks to those who answered my earlier post about tires, I had just about settled on Specialized tires, but these would be much cheaper.
    Have any of you run Mountain Kings? How did they handle hardpack, sand, rocks, etc.? I know a couple of people in Utah that are telling me that the Trail King is a much better tire?
    Advice?

2. Varaxis

Varaxis Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dan Vu
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB5c ('16 Yellow v1)
    Older non-black chili rubber Mtn kings are terrible. Had a level of grip similar to "Performance" level Nobby Nics, which was crap. Newer version "MK2" with ProTection (ProTection level models always have the magical Black Chili rubber) is top class, which is what UPSed got. Unfortunately, chances are high that your UST ones are on the former (crappy performance) level, rather than the latter. You really gotta the pay the price for the performance. A dead give away to indicate that you got crappy Conti tires is if the sidewall is crosshatched (Made in Asia), rather than have a cool checkered design (Made in Germany).

Trail Kings are designed to be grippier than Mtn Kings, at cost of extra weight and less rolling speed (AM/FR). Beware there's a budget version and high quality level with Conti tires, with the budget version being drastically worse.

I'd be riding Conti tires only if they were cheaper and had a better reliability record, as their performance is that good. I might be running Spec tires if the dirt I normally rode had a bit more moisture soaked into it. What don't you like about your current Maxxis combo? That's something a more advanced rider would like. If you're not after Strava KOMs, and are that worried about cost, there's always the original Nevegals.

DangerDirtyD likes this.
  3. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    <a class="postlink" href="https://www.biketiresdirect.com/product/continental-mountain-king-protection-29-inch-mtb-tire" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">https://www.biketiresdirect.com/product ... h-mtb-tire</a>

I don't believe you need the UST version. These are TLR and I have never had an issue with them burping. I am 240 geared up and only run 30 psi.

4. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I see the Mountain King 2 on Amazon for $42.92.

I'm leaning towards a Mountain King/X-king combo for the hardtail.... As I watch the factory Rapid Robs deteriorate on every ride.

5. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I'm getting pretty tired (<--get it?) of sidewall tears as of late... :|
    Just got one yesterday of all places on Golden Eagle.
    Been using Hans Dampf trailstars ($28 bucks each) front and rear. I like the grip of them on the front better than on rear. I heard the new reconfigured Nobby Nic for 2015 is suppose to be awesome!
    But who wants to spend $75 to $95 bucks on a snakeskin side wall that still tears!

6. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    Mtn Kings 2.4 came on my Rocky Mountain. They're TLR, and are being run tubeless at this time at about 30psi.
    So far, no problems of any kind. Grip well, corner well, but as they are 2.4's have a little more mass to spin up than I was used to.
    I'll most likely go 2.2 on the rear when the rear wears out, adn keep 2.4 up front.

Before that, I had settled on Hans Dampf on the front. And as Mikie said, 90.00 for a tire was hard to swallow. But having the front wash out a couple times
    figured it was cheaper than medical.

So, bottom line, I like the Mtn Kings, and have no issues. Get the version with Black chili Fo Sho.

7. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    What I want to know is where to get Dampf TS for $28 :shock:

I liked the MKII 2.2 on the back of my 29er. Long wearing and overall good performance. Many or all conti tires have an issue: when you re-mount the tire, often the tire will not mount perfectly straight and have sort of a kink in it. I noticed this on the wife's TK. That's been a deal breaker for some riders.

DangerDirtyD likes this.
  8. Varaxis

Name:
    Dan Vu
    Current Bike:
    Art's Cyclery is a great place to shop online:

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.artscyclery.com/Continental_Mountain_King_II_26_Tire/descpage-CTMK2F.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.artscyclery.com/Continental_ ... TMK2F.html</a> ($45, use SAVE15 promo code for another 15% off + CA tax)

I'm guessing Mikie ordered from a German bike shop, avoiding the US markup, but ordering enough (group buy?) to minimize SH cost: <a class="postlink" href="http://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/schwalbe-hans-dampf-evo-snake-skin-trailstar-29-x-2%2C35-tl-ready-folding-73315" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/schw ... ding-73315</a>

9. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I have been working on that "Killer Dealz" thing for a while. The challenge is shipping from Santa Clarita...
    ...and, the prices are so low on some things I'm not allowed to advertise them. Thus why I am going covert with the Killer Dealz Forum.
    It can only be accessible by members. More details coming soon.

I can get some amazing dealz on some bikes and tires and stuff. But it's shipping that kills us.
    This would work great if we were all local and could pick up (Will Call) in Santa Clarita... ;) I have a location...
    Examples:

Hans Dampf TrailStars for $28
    Hans Dampf PaceStars for $58 :shock:

I now access to 2015 Yeti Bikes, if we buy 3 or more I think we could save over $2k per bike! :eek: :shock:

10. CBone

CBone iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    Thanks for the input guys.
    I have liked the Maxxis tires that came on my bike but they are a bit pricey and I was not impressed with the tread life.
    I rented a bike in Moab a couple of years ago and the shop used Mountain King Protection on all their bikes. I figure that it is in their best interest to put tough, long wearing tires on rentals. After all most noobs, like me, are more likely to shred tires than they are to shred the Pork Rim :D .
    I have read reviews about bubbling, torn knobs, leaky sidewalls, hard to seal, etc. That is the reason I am hesitant.
    Here is the deal.
    <a class="postlink" href="http://www.backcountry.com/continental-mountain-king-ust-tubeless-mountain-bike-tire?ti=UExQIENhdDpNb3VudGFpbiBCaWtlIDI2XCJcdTAwQTBUaXJlczoxOjU6YmNzQ2F0MTQxMTExMDAxOTA&skid=CON0100-FOUSTUBW-S26X24" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.backcountry.com/continental- ... UBW-S26X24</a>
    The question is - are these inferior lots that they are just trying to clear out?
    These are not the protection version but the UST version is supposed to have a strong sidewall.

11. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    One thing I should mention, I used stans on the Mtn Kings and it leaked a little from the bead and lost air over a week or so.
    Had the stans removed and used Conti equivalent ( don't know what it was, the Path did it for me) and poof! No sealant leak from bead or any more air lost over time than expected.
    All's good in the world now...

12. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    After reading quite a bit, I went with an X-King rear and Mountain King front on the hardtail. Both tires are the "Protection" version. The Path set them up tubeless with the Conti sealant... They still lost a small amount of air for a few days, until I took them off and laid them on their sides for a few hours. They probably would have "finished" sealing on their own, but I think I hurried the process a bit.

I have almost 100 miles on the new tires, and I am a happy camper so far. Lots of grip, and they roll fairly fast.

Edited: Post further down!

13. cranky

cranky Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    T
    Current Bike:
    Yeti ASR5c
    I've been riding with the Trail King for a few months now and it's a great tire if you want better control on chunky descents. The 2.4 is so massive that my wheel is more like a 27" than 26 now so with low pressure it feels like an extra 10mm has been added to my shock.

The monster truck look of the tire makes my ASR-5 look a lot more aggressive and like a proper trail bike now. I just wish they kept the old name - bikes and their parts have such pretentious naming these days.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

14. I'm so confused about tires I'm almost ready to give up mountain biking.

I ride a Giant Talon 27.5 hardtail. I currently have Rapid Robs, which came with the bike, on stock rims. I am running tubeless with a Stan's conversion kit and sealant.

I consider myself a "casual" rider. 80% of my riding is on the paved bike path for exercise. 18% is on dirt fire roads and hiking trails in the mountains or service roads in the desert to explore and see the sights. 2% is single track. I am rarely anxious to go fast and use a lot of brake on the descents. I'd rather roll off a drop than jump off. If its bigger than 18 inches, I'll walk it.

I was just about all set on the Hans Dampf tires when I saw a reference to different versions.

Will they serve me?
    What's the story about different versions?

Thanks.

15. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    @Bruceinsocal...

Hans Dampf or any $80 tire is way overkill for your preferred type of riding. You will chew through the HD in a week if you are riding that much pavement. I am sure others can chime in on a good solid all-rounder that won't break the bank, holds up to pavement yet offers enough traction for the style of MtB you describe. One that comes to mind is the Bontrager XR4. Another is the Kenda Nevegal. But both of those will be pretty slow and loud on the pavement. I have no experience with a tire that meets what you are looking for, but I know enough to steer you away from the Hans Dampfs.

In the mysterious world of MtB tires, some of the big companies offer different tread compounds and sidewall "toughness" as well as different widths for the same tire. It can get pretty confusing. So for example you can get a Maxxis High Roller Two, 3C tread compound, Exo Protection sidewall with a Kevlar bead in size 2.4. Don't, but you could. Since your MtB-ing is 2% of your riding, I would get something smooth and comfortable on the pavement and fireroads, with just enough traction to help you scramble up hill on your 2%. Since you are cautious and slow down the hill, you won't really need aggressive sidewall knobs to help you dig into the corners.

Undoubtedly, others will have different opinions. Best wishes and don't give it up!

16. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.

Another perspective... If you are riding mostly pavement and packed dirt, with the occasional trail, why not go with something like the Small Block 8? You won't see it mentioned here very often, but it sounds like your riding style doesn't need something that looks like a dirt bike tire. I have had one on the back of my FS bike for the last year, because I wanted something that rolled fast for longer rides. It has held up really well, and still has plenty of life left. It's been on the bike since before last year's Rwanda, and it also made the Julian Death March. The only time I have traction issues is when it's wet... Other than that, I can make it up and down everything I ride. I would say that it rolls similar to the Rapid Robs, but seems to be much more durable.

Torrent77 likes this.
  17. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    @ Bruce in SoCal
    Herz is giving solid advice although you can get the TrailStar version of the Hans Dampf for $28 bucks and they do wear a bit better than their pricey big brother PaceStar...

I double up on Faust29 's advice the Kenda Small Block 8's as well. They are affordable and fit much more to the type of riding you are doing. Having the low profile uniform block tread you will find it to have enough "enduro" to get out on the trail, yet have a great low roll resistance on pavement. I tried them for quite a while and really like them for general offroad. The "only" thing I have found about Kenda is I have had some frustrating garage events in effort to get them to seal tubeless. That was early on in my tubeless adventures so that may not happen today...

I do use Hans Dampfs for their aggresive grippiness on supah chunk. You have absolutely no need for a tire of that nature for what you have described...

Bike On Bruce of SoCal! :cool:

18. SoCal_Rider

SoCal_Rider Member

Name:
    Ryan
    ^these guys are steering you in the right direction. Run from the Hans. Not what you need.

Kenda SB8 should be fine. If you have issues tearing sidewalls, try the Maxxis Ikon with EXO casing. They're pricey, but a good XC tire.

19. Varaxis

Name:
    Dan Vu
    Current Bike:
    I'd suggest checking out the Geax line of tires (also called Vittoria) for your purposes, Bruce. Maybe a Goma 2.4 front and Saguaro 2.2 rear, or AKA front and Mezcal rear if you want more speed. They can be found for about $30 each and have a rubber compound that's very asphalt friendly.

20. CarlS

CarlS Member

Name:
    Carl
    Current Bike:
    Walmart $50 special
    I'm also currently going round and round with all the tire choices available. So many, I'm getting tired thinking about it. :lol:

but seriously, I can't make up my mind what tire or tires to run on my new XC hardtail build. I'm looking for a 29x2.1-2.3, low weight 600-700, fast rolling, and lasts a while. I liked the Rocket Rons I was using, but the rear wore out quickly and then lost all climbing traction. This bike will see mixed conditions including a lot of pavement in between trails. needs to be tubeless friendly price doesn't really matter but I'm looking for deals if there out there...

I still have a 2.2 Rocket Ron up front with some decent tread life, so for now I guess I'm looking for a good rolling rear tire that still gets climbing traction.

in my list:

Kenda small block 8
    Spec renegade sworks
    Conti x-king blk chili
    Maxis Ikon- not sure which model

did I miss any? what would be the best lasting tire that won't get quickly chewed up on pavement?

21. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Why did the bike have a kick stand? . . . .

. . . . . Because it was two tired.

[youtube]9CdVTCDdEwL[/youtube]

22. Varaxis

Name:
    Dan Vu
    Current Bike:
    When you limit your tire search according to how much it weighs, you're most likely going to end up disappointed.

23. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Reviving an older thread...

I have had a split personality when it comes to the Continentals over the last few months. The Mountain King on the front has been great! It sealed up in a few days, and has been a good performer. It hardly shows any signs of wear. The X-King on the rear, however, has never managed to stay sealed more than a day or two. It has had the "sidewall leaks" since it was new. They are easy to spot, as they look like a hundred white pin pricks in the sidewall after sitting for a night. :( I've really wanted to like this tire, as I like the way it rides. The upkeep, however, has been painful. I'm pretty sure it's possessed by evil spirits... Both of the tires were the "Made in Germany" protection variety.

The rear has now been replaced with a Maxxis Ikon 3C Exo...

24. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    @ Bruce in SoCal
    I recommend the Kenda Small Block 8 for the rear and Kenda Slant Six for the front. Each has "versions" and you should stick with "DTC (dual tread compound)" for weight savings. Avoid the "tubeless" or "SCT (sealant compatible tire)" varieties, as they add substantial weight, and the DTC standard varieties will hold sealant fine after the 1-2 week seeping period (this is where the sealant will seep through the tire sidewall, leak air, and fill the tiny holes in the tire). After about 2 weeks, add sealant to the tire and you should be set...or you can simply run tubes and not have to deal with sealant, seeping, etc. Regarding tire width, that is up to you and is based on your weight, riding style, and rim width, but generally you should run a wider tire in front and narrower tire in rear. I have had the best experience purchasing any Kenda tire from JensonUSA. Good luck!

@ CarlS
    I recommend the 2012-or later Bontrager XR3 front and XR2 rear. Bontrager tires could be purchased online, but they are a better deal at any Trek bike shop where you could work in a discount. They come in "expert" and "team issue" versions and both are "TLR (tube-less ready) with the "expert" generally weighing an additional 50g-100g depending on the width you choose. In my experience, the thicker sidewalls of the "expert" are worth the weight except for race day.

For myself, I run the Kenda Nevegal 26x2.5 DTC in front and Bontrager XR4 26x2.4 expert in rear. For me, the Nevegal corners more predictably than any tire I have tried so far, and the Bontrager tires are actually true to size, well suited for wide rims.

25. CBone

CBone iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    I thought I might revive this topic and give an update on the tires I ended up with.
    My Giant came with Maxis Minion (F) and Maxis High Roller (R) and I liked them but they wore out fast. I replaced once but decided to try something else when they went south fairly fast.

I rented a bike in Moab a couple of years ago and noticed that all their rentals had Continental Mountain King Protection tires. I guess I figured that if they were durable enough for Moab they might be a good choice. I also had heard good things from friends in northern Utah about the Conti Trail Kings. These have a much more aggressive profile than the Mountain Kings.
    After doing some research online, reading the posts in this thread, and talking to folks at a LBS, I decided to go with more of a cross country tire in the rear. Going with a faster rolling tire in the back was supposed to make me faster :)

I ended up going with the Mountain King Protection 2.4 in the front.

In the back I went with the X King Protection also in a 2.4

These are a high volume tire. I had to use some tape to keep my front brake line away from the side knobs.

They are working great on our local trails at P-12 which are mostly smooth with lose over hard pack and just enough rocky stuff to make it a bit interesting. They hook up great climbing or descending. They are very predictable and I feel really confident riding these.

Mountain King.jpg

X King.jpg

26. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I'm still running the Mountain King on the front, and it has been a good tire... And seems to be wearing nicely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

27. knucklebuster

knucklebuster Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Megatrail
    I have an almost new Trail King Protection that my buddy gave me when he went to 29. I finally decided to try it last week. I run tubeless, UST rims, and it just about killed me getting the beads to seat (Dad borrowed my compressor, so a great upper body workout with the pump). I finally got the beads to seat but it leaked out in an hour. Did the old soapy water test, the entire sidewall is pourous, bubbles around the whole thing on both sides. Screw that, this one is back on the wall for now waiting for someone running tubes to use it.

Are you guys running them tubeless, or maybe there is a tubeless ready version? Thanks for the reviews anyway, may use it some day... probably not.

28. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    I've been running the Mountain Kings (Black Chili Protection) for the last 2 years. 2.2 and 2.4. I run them tubeless and they set up with a floor pump. They do tend to weep towards the end of their life but not when new.

29. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    CBone!
    Thanks for the solid review of the Conti's...
    Well articulated.

I have been growing dissatisfied with Schwalbe in general. They are expensive and wear quickly. I have not only got sidewall tears but tears in between knobs which I personally think is pretty unacceptable. Schwalbe has shown no desire or focus on customer service as I have tried to contact them several times.

I have heard a lot of chatter about Mountain and Trail Kings and even contacted as "source" :think: to see if I could get a killer deal on them. Unfortunately he does not have access to them. I think it's time however to give them a try and see how they fair.

Thanks for taking the time to bring this up and revive the Tire Thread. :D

Mikie

30. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    <a class="postlink" href="http://www.biketiresdirect.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">www.biketiresdirect.com</a>
    Great prices on Contis.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?