Tire width/rim width

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dustyyoungblood, Jul 20, 2017.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Specifically, is a Minnion 2.3 and aggresor 2.3 to narrow for a good fit on ARC 30 rims?

Danmtchl likes this.
  2. scottay

scottay Well-Known Member

Name:
    Scottay
    I think they are ok

Danmtchl likes this.
  3. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    They are fine....if you can maintain 350w for 1 hour.

:D:whistling::Roflmao

TwoWheel Eric, Danmtchl, Luis and 3 others like this.
  4. HA HA H AHA HA Oh thats good

TwoWheel Eric, Danmtchl, Luis and 2 others like this.
  5. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Sounds perfect to me. I've run 2.35 on 20 to 35mm internal width. Zero issues on 35mm. I call 26-30 a good range; wider than that seems like diminishing returns and not the best choice for big days/XC-centric.

Danmtchl, Faust29, rossage and 2 others like this.
  6. I have 2.4 Onza now, and I would call the fit PERFECT. But in the shop the 2.3 Maxxis looked alot narrower in the packaging compared, hence the serious question.

Danmtchl likes this.
  7. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    2.3's on my 29mm internals do just fine. I had a 2.3 Tomahawk upfront for the past year+.

Danmtchl and Faust29 like this.
  8. Makoto

Makoto Member

Name:
    Mike
    May I ask why you aren't going wider?

Also, Maxxis tires tend to look/run on the narrower side of measurements. I'm running a 2.5 Minions DHF WT and 2.4 DHRII on 30mm internal wheels and love them. I just put the DHRII on for a trip to BC just to be sure I had enough tire for any conditions and will be swapping it out for a 2.35 Minions SS as I prefer a fast rolling rear tire. For reference, my 2.5 DHF looks about the same width as the 2.35 Hans Dampf it replaced.

Danmtchl, herzalot and Faust29 like this.
  9. I can't get a confirmation that a 2.5 x 29 DHF WT will fit on my DVO diamond non boost fork.

Danmtchl and Makoto like this.
  10. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    Just put a 29 2.5 WT DHF on my non boost Pike and it has plenty of room. I'd be surprised if my 2014 Pike had less clearance.

Not the best angles:
    IMG_2459.JPG

IMG_2729.JPG

Varaxis, Danmtchl and dustyyoungblood like this.
  11. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Give DVO a quick call. They are very responsive and they might know about the fit of that specific tire.

Or, if you know anyone riding a wide front 29er tire, borrow the wheel for a quick minute and try to fit it in your fork.

Danmtchl and Makoto like this.
  12. Makoto

Makoto Member

Name:
    Mike
    That's a good enough reason for me!

Danmtchl likes this.
  13. So I stopped in the shop milling around holding up tires to each other, and got sold on a 2.4 DHR II 3C Terra, TO USE AS MY FRONT TIRE!!!!! Why didn't I think of that?

14. scottay

Name:
    Scottay
    DHR 2.4 in the front? I'm running one, and it seems a lil loose. But conditions are pretty loose also.
    Was wondering if the DHF was better.
    I think people run the DHF in the rear because its lighter, not sure if others run the DHR in the front...

15. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    While looking at reviews on the DHR II I found a lot of people ran it on the front. Some even ran them front and rear. I've ran the DHF front and rear in the past. Looking at the tread patterns it almost seems like the DHF should be in the rear and the DHR should be in the front. When the time comes I may move my 2.8 DHR II to the front and try a 2.6 DHF on the rear.

16. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    EXO sidewall?

17. RS VR6

RS VR6 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Lee
    Current Bike:
    Banshee Shartfire/Chiner 29r
    Maxxis tire seem to have more of a square-ish profile. If you run them on a too wide rim...it could possibly flatten the tread out and put the side knobs in a place where you don't want it. If you run a rim that's too wide...it'll splay out the side knobs...and also close the gaps between the blocks.

This might be of some help: http://www.maxxis.com/wide-trail-wt-design

With that said...I'm running some 2.35 Hans Dampf on i29mm rims. The HD seems to have a fairly rounded profile. In the pic you can see that the side knobs do not contact the ground...but this in on pavement though. You can also see that the sidewall of the tire is pulled out quite a bit. The widest part of the sidewall is almost even with the side knobs of the tire.

HD.jpg

Varaxis and Danmtchl like this.
  18. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    I was expecting @mtnbikej to beat you to that.

Danmtchl likes this.
  19. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

They are only available in EXO or Double Down DH casings. So it was guaranteed that he'd get EXO at the minimum. :thumbsup:

20. Damn right

mike and Danmtchl like this.
  21. So why the 2.4wt DHR II on the front?

Rational for the tire nuts in the group.

A. I wanted a slightly chunkier knobs then my IBEX 2.4 for some looser trail situations.
    B. DHF comes in 2.5, too big for what I wanted, and 2.3 too narrow for what I wanted.
    C. DHR is ramped, so should roll faster on hardpack. Negative is a little braking traction is give up, but I ride a ramped thread in the front now and no problem.
    D. I wanted to leave my IBEX 2.4 on the rear for 200-300 miles more. So I needed a tire at least as wide as that.
    E. Why Maxxis over Onza? Onza don't make a chunkier tire in 29er than the ibex 2.4. Arrrrgh.

Danmtchl likes this.
  22. Varaxis

Varaxis Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dan Vu
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB5c ('16 Yellow v1)
    DHR2 is my favorite trail/AM front tire because:
    - Low rolling resistance (~25W vs ~45 DHF or 45+ HR2, 45+ e13 Race, etc)
    - Significantly better braking than all of the DHF clones. Marginally better than HR2 clones (ex. Ibex, Morsa)
    - Taller knobs than HR2, makes it more reliable in deeper loose dust/sand
    - Bigger shoulder knobs than DHF allows it to handle more load before folding over
    - Can be altered from round to square profile with tread cut mod, to have similar turn in as the DHF and HR2
    - Maxxis DC works exceptionally well in dry, especially compared to WTB, Spec, Schwalbe, and to a smaller degree better than Bonty. Conti Black Chili and Vittoria come close. Not sure about Schwalbe's Addix.
    - EXO casing is one of the best all around regular duty 60 tpi casings, offering good durability and reliability (ex. resistance to tearing) for the weight
    - Excellent tubeless conversion, especially with the TR version. Holds air well, with minimal seeping* (seeps through plugged punctures, but not through fresh casing)
    - ~$50 for a tire that lasts 2500+ miles, with minimal headaches and minimal want for more. I have to force myself to put in more than 500 miles with other tires, after being spoiled by such good tires.

Up front, it's usually my first choice, especially if I take the time to do the mod. In the rear, it depends on a number of things, like CS length and how much I need acceleration. I really want to try a Crossmark 2 in the back, but there's not really much else that compares to these two outside of the Maxxis line-up. I used to like the Race King ProTection, but Conti's casing quality has let me down too often and their tubeless nuances are a bummer. Vittoria's TNT casing seems overbuilt.

As far as rim width goes, it's not increased volume you want, it's the benefits from low pressures that you want. You just want to address the drawbacks of low pressures, such as roll and rim strikes (and rolling resistance). Wide rims mainly address tire roll. I stuffed my 21mm ID Haven rims with Cush Core** to address all the issues with low pressure, and retained the intended tire profile. I traded a bit of weight (and complications regarding inserting a spare tube or changing tire), but I gained more than what a wide rim offers, including damping and rim protection. I can go with a wider tire too, which offers even more benefit than a wider rim. I'd like to see any good reason to go wider than 27mm ID for 2.3 to 2.6.

** Prob the best deal on these is from Art's Cyclery: VIP17 + Xmas sale gift cards. Figured there's nothing else to spend the cards on, besides tires. Atomik carbon might still be running a 15% off accessories coupon that could work too. Seems like the real deal to me.

23. Ok I got home and mounted the DHR tire with some orange sealant with a floor pump.

Profile looks great on the arc 30.
    It's significantly Rounder than the IBEX 2.4.

The DHR II 2.4WT measures 2.35" at its widest points.

the IBEX 2.4 measures 2.45" at its widest points

Not only is the IBEX wider, but it's got a noticeable larger volume. You see it, and if you grip your hand over the tire you can feel it. I been running 23psi with the ibex, and even down to 18psi some days no problem,

Guess I screwed up and should have got the 2.5" DHF wt

IMG_7488.JPG

IMG_7487.JPG

Danmtchl, Faust29 and DangerDirtyD like this.
  24. Varaxis

Varaxis Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dan Vu
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB5c ('16 Yellow v1)
    Do you really want width? When I get a wider tire, I look for increased overall circumference and the ability to run lower pressures. Bigger wheel = better roll-over. Wider tire = ?? More fun to crush overgrowth? Does having the sidewalls wider apart do anything besides expose them to damage? Compel you to roll over rocks, instead of attempting to roll between gaps of them?

I really wonder... the best I can think of is possibly a reshaped tire contact patch that's wider, rather than longer? In what cases does that help?

Danmtchl and DangerDirtyD like this.
  25. riiz

riiz Member

Name:
    Eric
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Heckler/Killmaleon
    Check back in 24 hours, it might grow?

26. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I think you're hinting at an interview I saw with Maxxis engineers. The advice was to pump to maximum recommended pressure and let it sit for 24 hours to get the maximum possible tire width.

Does anyone here do that? Measurable difference?

DangerDirtyD and Danmtchl like this.
  27. scottay

Name:
    Scottay
    When people try to stuff too big of a tire, say a 3.0 into a frame that takes up to 2.8, they find that it fits initially.
    But after a matter of time the tire grows and they get rub.
    So, yeah, it is something to consider. Kinda in the opposite tho....

DangerDirtyD, Faust29 and Danmtchl like this.
  28. sir crashalot

sir crashalot iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    Details please

Danmtchl likes this.
  29. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
    You are overthinking this...just ride

herzalot, Danmtchl, mtnbikej and 4 others like this.
  30. Complelty splitting hairs. Don't worry, leaving for Santa Cruz in 5,4,3,2.....

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?