Tire plug

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Derkderkall, May 21, 2020.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Derkderkall

Derkderkall Well-Known Member

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
    What's a good kit to carry on my pack? Any to avoid?

2. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon 60%
    Mikie, rossage, Faust29 and 5 others like this.
  3. jimbowho

jimbowho Member

Name:
    james jim jimmy
    Current Bike:
    GT sensor 29r
    Wet & dry patches, tubeless plugs, sidewall-stickies n stuff. The green twig lets air out. No presta for me, all Schrader even tubeless stems are Schrader. Ear swabs to clear dry goop from stems. "no kit". thumbnail.jpg

4. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Stan's Dart. I was skeptical at first. Got a small slice that Stan's wouldn't permanently seal. Pulled out the Dart. Push in and pull out then rotate the tire so the Stan's can do the rest. Boom! It's that easy.

https://www.notubes.com/DART

Mikie, Cyclotourist, HBkites and 11 others like this.
  5. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 SC Megaplower
    Here's a second endorsement for the Dart. I've never had a flat since going tubeless in 2015 - until a couple of weeks ago. Standard rock puncture within the tread zone (not sidewall). The (fresh) Stan's alone didn't seal it. Two strips of bacon didn't seal it. @Bill suggested I try his Stan's Dart. OK - well the Dart sealed it and is still sealing it. I'm sold. They claim it reacts chemically with the Stan's sealant. Not sure about that, just sure that it worked. I ordered a Dart and refills as soon as I got home. 'Spensive compared to Bacon ($25 for the tool and two plugs, and another $20 for a box of refills). And the tool is a little bulky compared to bacon - but it saved the day.

6. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    2 SC and a STDM
    The Dart looks interesting, but I've never had any issues with the cheapie one that David listed above. Sometimes it takes 3 or 4 plugs depending on the hole, but I've always got it to work. If there is a reaction with the sealant, though... that's a plus. I just threw out a tire that had 3 plugs in one hole since October 2017. When I get a plugged tire home, I usually take the trail side plugs out, clean the hole and reapply fresh plugs in the garage. The kit looks just like a mini version of the plugs I used to put in tractor tires as a kid... And I carry a similar one in the truck.

As far as Stan's... Two bikes went into storage with Finish Line. They were there over 30 days. When they came off the moving truck, they hadn't lost any air. Zero. The bike I kept with me in the apartment was the new Kona. It had Stan's in the tires because that's all the Path had when I got it. Two weeks sitting in the apartment, and it had two flat tires and dry sealant. First order of business in the new garage was getting Finish Line into the tires.

7. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 SC Megaplower
    OH - that's good to know. I've never considered changing sealant since I've never had a problem. But that's a strong endorsement right there form a person I trust - wait, well, it's a strong endorsement anyway! ;) :thumbsup:

Mikie, Cyclotourist, mike and 4 others like this.
  8. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    2 SC and a STDM
    Full disclosure... The Path stopped carrying it because people complained it didn't work. The number one complaint was that they couldn't hear the sloshing that they've been programmed to hear with Stans.

There is no sloshing... It just works. It turns to jelly and stays put. The benefit is that it seals the hole without the rider usually knowing that he had one in the first place, because it's already in place. Sorta like sealing the hole before it happens... No stopping and shaking the tire to get the liquid to find the hole and no need to add air.

I find that it's worked when I'm in the garage the next day and I see all the little wet spots on the tire. The first time was coming down Trabuco during VQ. I heard the "hiss" and then it stopped. I never lost a beat... which is good, because there was another single speeder a few minutes behind. :p

9. scan

scan Well-Known Member

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    Curious, was the Stan's due for an addition of fluid, you know running low before it sat for 2 weeks?

herzalot, Mikie, Cyclotourist and 2 others like this.
  10. Derkderkall

Derkderkall Well-Known Member

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
    On a related note, my new wheels came with orange seal, but I still have a large bottle of Stans,

Bad idea to add Stans to a tire with orange seal..?

herzalot, Mikie, Old&InTheWay and 4 others like this.
  11. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    2 SC and a STDM
    It was only a couple months old... Is that old for Stan's?

With Finish Line, I put it in when I mount the tire, and it's still there when the tire wears out. I've gone well over a year... I don't ever think about adding or topping it off. I also don't check the tire pressure regularly. There's no need...

Finish Line didn't have the name recognition, and they got savaged in reviews... But there are others out now that are really similar. Bontrager's new formula from what I've read is pretty much the same.

herzalot, Mikie, Old&InTheWay and 4 others like this.
  12. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    2 SC and a STDM
    If you really want to switch, I'd take the tire off and clean it.

13. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Yeah don't mix those two. But you don't have to get all clinical and remove whatever's stuck to the sidewall-unless you like peeling.

14. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Tire irons FTW. :thumbsup:

The Dart looks cool, but any of the holes (slices) I have not been able to plug with bacon would be too much for any plug including the Dart. Genuine Innovations has worked well. If I was going to add any plugging capability it would be a Dynaplug kit for those bad holes that take multiple strips.

15. Obsidian

Obsidian Well-Known Member

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    2017 Intense Tracer
    I have had Finish Line sealant in my front tire for almost a year now (since June 2019). No flats and who knows how many times it sealed since then. I finally got a slow leak about a month ago and added more. However, I am not sure if a front tire is a good endorsement for sealant as I have never had a front tire flat regardless of what sealant was in there.

The best part about Finish Line is that is does not seep through the sidewall like Stan's. My rear tire is a mess with Stan's seepage.

mtnbikej, herzalot, Mikie and 7 others like this.
  16. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    I tried Finish Line when it first came out. Never got any flats so not sure if it was working or not. I went back to Stan's as I'm a tire whore and swap tires out quite often. I've finally found my unicorn tires so maybe I'll give Finish Line another chance.

17. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9, Santa Cruz Hightower
    I was big on the Genuine Innovation’s and Bacon Strip plugs, but I have quickly lost my enthusiasm.
    In the beginning they worked great! They have sealed every leak I have had that Stans could not. However, I have noticed the bacon strips go bad, actually fairly quickly. Mine have tuned to mush and are impossible to load in the applicator. Yeah they are cheap, but apparently... they are cheap. So I’m back on the market for a replacement...

18. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    So I just went and looked at the Dart system by Stans. Is it really 25 bucks for a tool and two plugs and 20 bucks for the refill of two plugs? Does that seem pricey to anyone?

19. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    The refill is 5 plugs. The nice Dynaplug system is $60. I think it's reasonably priced for the size and convenience of the tool.

herzalot, Cyclotourist, mike and 2 others like this.
  20. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    2 SC and a STDM
    Hopefully they're using the profits to fund R&D on their hubs. :p

21. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Open the prongs up just a tad. Close em back down if you need to. I can’t be the only guy skilled at getting his little thing in a slot, you got it. :)

22. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Roger that! I’m saying that the bacon strip after time turns to like jello! :(

Old&InTheWay and mike like this.
  23. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    2 SC and a STDM
    You don't really need to even get the bacon in the slot... Just lay it over the end and it'll work.

Old&InTheWay, Mikie and mike like this.
  24. Rumpled

Rumpled Well-Known Member

Name:
    Jim Martin
    Current Bike:
    2018 Specialized Epic Carbon C
    I've not needed a plug yet. But, just in case I just got a MUUL. Small thing that mounts to bars holding a bacon strip ready to go.
    Will report back if I ever use it.
    A friend who is new to tubeless just used a Dart and was amazed how well it worked.
    YMMV

Old&InTheWay, jimbowho, mike and 3 others like this.
  25. jimbowho

jimbowho Member

Name:
    james jim jimmy
    Current Bike:
    GT sensor 29r
    I had to look that up, never heard of it. I think if you get a squirter especially in front you can stop and put your finger on the hole in ten seconds-ish then QuickDraw the plug. Thanks Jim, now I must have this trinket or I won't sleep.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?