Thunder Mountain is Fun, Flowy and Magical!

Discussion in 'Videos' started by deocguy, Feb 9, 2019.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. deocguy

deocguy Member

Name:
    JB
    Current Bike:
    Specialized
    My video editing hardware was no longer working. That's why it took me awhile to edit all videos. Now I've got a new one. It's time to share it with friends! ☺️

This is a late post. The footage was taken in November 2018.

I hope you guys enjoy!

2. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    Nice vid! Rode Thunder Mountain and Gooseberry :inlove: with @herzalot back in 2008. One of my most memorable rides!
    I'd known him for just a few months at that time...thankfully he wasn't a serial killer, and I'm thinking he's glad I wasn't.

Looking at this I think another trip is in order but will be sure to allow myself to acclimate to the elevation for a couple days next time. :confused:
    Thanks for Posting the Vid @deocguy!

3. MrGreedom

MrGreedom Well-Known Member

Name:
    Ryan
    Current Bike:
    BH Lynx6
    Im 60mi from this trail right now. But Im bording, so this is going on this Summers todo

4. deocguy

deocguy Member

Name:
    JB
    Current Bike:
    Specialized
    So you thought herzalot was a serial killer? You are too funny. You gotta come back there for sure.

5. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    After I picked up @Danimal and headed for UT for that trip, I got to thinking "I know nothing about this guy, and he's starting to tell me some colorful stories of his past...hmmmm..." I think he was probably thinking the same thing about me.

Turns out @Danimal is one of the kindest people I know. And I am hoping he discovered that I am not a serial killer, merely a serial smartass.

I believe a have some video footage of that trip, Dan.

6. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    Sorry Hrz, Found the Vid, had to rotate it ( this took the net to learn how) , had to save it, now it's not supported. Another reason apple sucks...
    Then I thought I had it on photo bucket, but man that site has gone to crap....45 min on a 14 second video. :facepalm: :laugh: obviously I'm not very proficient on these things.

Anyway here's a photo of @herzalot at Gooseberry on the tiny wheeled bike. We both had Yeti 575's at the time. Dang I liked that bike.

Utah pics 012.jpg

scan, UPSed, Faust29 and 9 others like this.
  7. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    What a great trail! And that scenery... this moved onto my to-do list! About how many hours did it take to do the entire loop?

Faust29, Danimal, Mikie and 2 others like this.
  8. Luis

Luis iMTB Addict

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    La Diabla
    Sweet!

Me gusta

Mucho

9. MrGreedom

MrGreedom Well-Known Member

Name:
    Ryan
    Current Bike:
    BH Lynx6
    Its a 15mi loop

10. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    Cross couuntry... essentially flat but lots of up n down... feels longer than 15..might shake a tooth out...

deocguy, Faust29, Mikie and 3 others like this.
  11. deocguy

deocguy Member

Name:
    JB
    Current Bike:
    Specialized
    That picture looks awesome. Dang...I almost forgot there was 26er before 27.5 and 29er :D. It must be a long time ago. You guys are Rock. You both went there when 26er was ruling the world.

12. deocguy

deocguy Member

Name:
    JB
    Current Bike:
    Specialized
    It's 15 miles loop. How many hours to finish the ride all depends how fast can you go and how many stops you gonna take.

We went there as first timer. We took our time to really enjoyed the ride and enjoyed the scenery. It was amazing to be there and riding at the same time. ☺️

13. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Wow! Great video!
    I have not ridden Thunder yet. But I am now!

Faust29 and Danimal like this.
  14. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    It looks like the kinda' thing you could make a day of. Especially if you're driving out from Hurricane. This moved way upon my list. Thanks for putting this up!

Mikie, deocguy and Faust29 like this.
  15. Fijirob

Fijirob Member

Name:
    Rob
    Looks like I may need to hit that on the way back from Moab in May. Thanks for the video!

Mikie, Old&InTheWay and mtnbikej like this.
  16. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    Hey fijirob..our group is thinkin of going in may to moab for first time... u think whole enchilada will be open.. if upper sections closed still worth doing...may is good time?
    U recommend any trails to hit for sure?
    Thx fo any info..

Mikie and Cyclotourist like this.
  17. deocguy

deocguy Member

Name:
    JB
    Current Bike:
    Specialized
    Exactly what he said.
    If you start from Dixie National Park, you'll ride gradually climb at bike path for 5 miles then continue to ride 2.1 miles on fire road to trailhead, and the trail is all about singletrack back to parking lot.

Mikie, Cyclotourist and doublewide like this.
  18. deocguy

deocguy Member

Name:
    JB
    Current Bike:
    Specialized
    Yes. It took almost 2 hours driving out from Hurricane. It's the same like you are going to Bryce Canyon National Park, we parked at the Dixie located at the very beginning of the scenic road.

Mikie and Cyclotourist like this.
  19. Fijirob

Fijirob Member

Name:
    Rob
    Hey Konakc - The whole enchilada should be open, as we are riding that on our last day of the Bikerpelli tour of the entire Kokopelli trail in early May. Hopefully we will have good weather at the time, but only Mother Nature knows for sure. From what I hear the average temps that time of the year are ideal (high 70s low 80s), but I have heard they've had snow and 100 degree temps. I pray for us to experience the average temps!

20. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    Some *part* of TWE will be open in May but definitely NOT the entire ride. If you're very lucky, you'll be able to get dropped at Hazard County but most likely Kokopelli or possibly even Upper Porcupine with all the snow the La Sals are getting this year so far. Aside from the top section after Burro Pass thru the forest, I personally think Lower Porcupine is the best section out there and it will be rideable for sure. Avoid Coyote Shuttle unless nothing else is available as they use older VW's which have a cool factor but are sloooooowwwww going up.

If you have more time when you go ride Thunder Mountain, check out the Casto Canyon ride as well. Supposedly, Butch Cassidy had a hideout back there. It's more challenging overall than Thunder Mountain because it doesn't get ridden as much but a great ride. We rode it after riding Thunder Mountain and a couple of the loose, chunky climbs worked me over in the heat but I'm glad we did it. https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/7045477/casto-cassidy-rich-losee-loop

herzalot, konakc, Mikie and 1 other person like this.
  21. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Definite maybe.

Fijirob and Mikie like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?