Thule T2 Tips and Tricks?

Discussion in 'Bike Racks' started by Rumpled, Jun 17, 2017.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Rumpled

Rumpled Well-Known Member

Name:
    Jim Martin
    Current Bike:
    2018 Specialized Epic Carbon C
    So. I just scored a Thule T2 off of Craigslist (I know, late to the party and not the 1UpUSA I envy - but I'm cheap)
    Any tips and tricks to deal with this rack?

Specifically
    The cable locks out of the wheel holding arm - Are they worth anything? It seems they can only fit around the head tube? Any advice on these?

The one I got is apparently missing the nut welded into the receiver part to make the thing anti rattle. It seems to me that that bolt is pretty pinner anyways. My normal non locking hitch pin seems a bit more sturdy. Tips or tools to make the thing rattle less?

Other tips on locking bikes to the rack and the rack to my truck?

Garage storage? This thing is pretty heavy, how do you store yours? I'm thinking of one of those receiver type mounts on the garage wall - now I would just have to find some garage wall space.

Any other tips or tricks to make this rack function best?

Thanks for any help.

2. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    The cable locks are ok for slight security but still can't rely on that.

Not sure what you mean by the missing nut, do you mean the one that goes on the Bolt through the trailer hitch? That is definitely necessary if so.

I just store mine on the floor of my garage.

Mine used to be out in salt air a lot and I used to wipe it (especially the weld crevices) with wd-40 but now that I live in the hills I don't see any rust spots.

3. Sprockethead

Sprockethead Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    Andy C
    Be careful when unloading the bikes. On my T2, the cable lock at the end of the arm has come apart. The rivet that holds the head in no longer works, I'm in the process of trying to get this warrantied. I do use both the cable and arm locks and it's kept thieves away. I also run a long cable lock through the front triangle of the bikes and then through the square hole that forms from the hitch arms. Give Thule a call about the missing nut, that helps secure the rack tighter into the receiver though you'll never get rid of the wobble.

I keep the rack leaning against the wall in the garage, there's not much I can do about that, but I do support the rack with a piece of wood to keep it level near the rear wheel tray. Other than that, keep it clean, and I grease the locking square pin every year. That's about it. The photo is the broken lock end which the rivet no longer holds in.

Lock End7.jpg

4. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    The built in lock is useless....we broke one off going through the drive through car wash at the gas station.

As for the missing but. For a few bucks a welder should be able to tack a new one in there. I think it does help with the movement.

Garage storage sucks....I just found a spot up against the wall.

Fueledbyex8, Faust29 and Rumpled like this.
  5. riiz

riiz Member

Name:
    Eric
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Heckler/Killmaleon
    Those cables are garbage, dont rely on them. Use your own cable, but again only park where you can see the bikes, the handle-lock and cable is just to slow or deter a thief long enough to get to them.

With storage, I just put mine under my work bench, so it isnt too much in the way.

6. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Mine doesn't have a locking cable. It has a lock that blocks the ratchet lever from depressing. Earlier model, I presume. I think it keeps honest people honest. I use a cable lock through the frame and wheels and pray a lot if I have to keep a bike on there overnight in a motel parking lot.

As for the bolt that goes through the receiver, mine has a washer and lock-washer on one side and a locking device on the other. It snugs it up nice and tight, and can't be stolen (well, not casually anyway). There is no nut that I can see. The threads on the through bolt are on the right (passenger) side of the receiver, the lock attaches to the driver's side.

As for storage, I have no sympathy for any of you! I have no garage. I store it outside, along my fence. I live near the beach, so it does get a little rusty. It's been fine for 12 years or more however.

7. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    I also bought/stuck reflection stickers on mine..

8. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    The cable locks are in addition to the "ratchet lever depression" dealio.

9. RS VR6

RS VR6 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Lee
    Current Bike:
    Banshee Shartfire/Chiner 29r
    I take mine off when not in use. I just set it standing up in the garage. To my wet noodle arms...it is on the heavy side:Roflmao.

As for the locks...I use it on top of a couple cable locks.

It is pretty convenient compared to a roof rack. The foam on the arms are starting to wear through.

10. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Mine is almost always on the vehicle... The 2 bike attachment, however, is resting against the back wall of the garage. Thankfully, the wife's new car is short enough that she can pull in without coming close to it.

It carried two bikes all the way to Oregon last year with no issues- without the cable lock attachment. I went to Lowe's and bought the heaviest lock they had, along with two sections of coated cable. One 3 foot length for just me, and one 15 foot length for multiple bikes. It won't stop someone with a good pair of bolt cutters, but the length wrapped through the frame and wheels will slow them down a bit.

@herzalot - My bike always comes in the hotel room! Wheel that sucker proudly through the lobby! This past trip, it fit snugly against a wall by turning the bars 90 degrees. And I thought of you when I retightened the stem bolts yesterday. :thumbsup:

Rumpled, Luis, DangerDirtyD and 3 others like this.
  11. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    My T2 has survived a serious mud bath in UT that eventually destroyed my car, and survived a road trip to Whistler and back in 2009 with a 45 lb. DH bike and a 30 lb trail bike on it. Many road trips to CO. And yes, I too take my bikes inside at most motels.

12. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    I saw some people leaving bikes on racks in the parking garage at the Westin in Mammoth. My bike was wheeled up to our room through the lobby and up the elevator, even right after a massive downpour when I came in dripping wet and dropping kitty litter all over. I will never trust any locking mechanism for more than a few minutes and even then I'm sketched out.

Rumpled, RS VR6, herzalot and 5 others like this.
  13. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    BTW if you have carbon wheels, make sure they are not in direct line of your exhaust pipe. My brother had one of his wheels melt from the heat.:mad:

Rumpled, herzalot, Luis and 3 others like this.
  14. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Take the rack off when not in use (yeah, I know it's a pain in the ass). No need to expose it to UV rays, weather, road vibration, and road grime when not in use.

Also, technically, if a grumpy cop sees it on your vehicle, you can get cited for having it on if it is blocking a full view of your license plate.

I have this rack also. It's flimsy, but it gets the job done and I couldn't pass up the deal I got on a brand new one.

RS VR6, DangerDirtyD, Rumpled and 3 others like this.
  15. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    I have a T2 with the cable locks on the base, and the arm locks on the extension. Both are pretty useless. The cable locks can be cut easily, and literally ripped out of the base if someone wants to. The arm locks only lock on the wheel, so one quick-release later and you have a nice bike without a front wheel.

That said, I like the rack a lot, although really heavy. I have one of the kids help me carry it out of the garage, especially if the extension is on. Storage sucks, but first world problems and such. I hear they can even be used to carry a tandem!!!

DangerDirtyD and Rumpled like this.
  16. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

YEah, include the 2 Bike Add-On and the rack is an unruly beast.

17. RS VR6

RS VR6 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Lee
    Current Bike:
    Banshee Shartfire/Chiner 29r
    I'm not sure how people can have piece of mind what they leave their bikes unattended like that. We usually stay at the Mammoth Mountain Inn when at MM and I see bikes on the back of cars in the parking structure all the time. I see the same thing at Sea Otter too. Bikes will be in the back of a pickup truck. I went to a Ramen joint in Little Tokyo after a ride. I wheeled my bike into the restaurant. They let me keep it in the restaurant while I ate.:laugh:

DangerDirtyD and Rumpled like this.
  18. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    And reportedly CHP has it in their contract with the Toll roads to issue tickets for obstructed license plate if you have a bike or other rack that does just that. Not sure if that is just if rack is empty or if they also ticket with bikes on the rack. I'm too cheap to drive those roads... but apparently the scam that led to this clause was people using bike racks that obscured their plate to avoid paying tolls.

19. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    I recall reading someone talking about their getting a ticket there, but for the empty rack. IIRC CHP told them the rack had to have a bike in it to be legal, but if not being used then it was an obstruction.

Runs with Scissors and mtnbikej like this.
  20. levity

levity Member

Name:
    gone
    Yep, the T2 is clunky, but it's sturdy and functional. We only carry two bikes, but we used the Thule extension bar to add a storage rack. Put a U-bolt clamp at the hitch-receiver junction, and it has held up well for several thousand miles.

20170503_174055-X3.jpg

OTHRider, UPSed, doublewide and 5 others like this.
  21. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    That's some good thinking there^^^^

DangerDirtyD likes this.