Three Breweries in Redlands (and some bike riding)

Discussion in 'Trailhead' started by Cyclotourist, Apr 6, 2019.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Ride Name: Three Breweries in Redlands (and some bike riding)
    When: Saturday April 13th
    Time: 10:00 (slightly flexible)
    Where: Auggie's Coffee - State St. Location
    Ride Description or Details:
    I'm going to put a stake in next Saturday... it's going to be 70F and sunny, with some possible showers Friday morning to freshen everything up.

The route leaves downtown Redlands, rides on roads and dirt roads, a bit of a HAB across the Santa Ana flood-plane, and more dirt to Hangar 24. Update: The food truck there starts serving at noon. After a tasting & eating lunch there, 20 miles around town and a bunch of trails to Ritual Brewery. Then a two mile hop to Escape Brewery. I don't think there is food at either spot. Finally four easy miles through town back to the start and pizza. More beer if that's your thing.

I rode the basic route today. If you click on the Strava link, you can see some of the pics: https://www.strava.com/activities/2270178698

Here is the proposed route: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/29654873?beta=false

40 miles with 2,500' of climbing. There are two steepish climbs of significance, but they are short. The rest of the gain is pretty gradual.

There is a very natural alteration that can happen at mile 19.2 to cut out a lot of the dirt, and have a pleasant road ride.
    You can see the change here: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/29654948?beta=false
    There is also the option of a little bit of both! We'll assess on the fly, and have some very honest conversations!

This is a no-drop ride... pace will be set by the slowest rider. The idea is to see the beautiful open spaces, and drink some pints.
    I project five hours of saddle time, and another couple spent at rest stops.
    Rolling at 10:00, and getting back at 5:00. Planning on eating at Gourmet Pizza a block from the start.

To reiterate, this is a casual ride, with changes on the fly based on consensus. Anyone can join on, and peel off and do their own thing. I just wanted to throw something formal together to give everyone a chance to see the green hills before it gets hot. And throw in some fresh beer drinking just for kicks.

It's more of a all-surface/CX/gravel ride rather than a mountain bike ride. But a MTB would be fine if you're comfortable on it. Don't bring a road bike. You can see on the map that the road mileage (in red) is pretty minimal.

~~~~~ Optional Details ~~~~~
    Meet Location:
    Augie's Coffee 300 East State St.
    Nearby street parking is enforced two hour parking, so park on one of the side streets a block or so to the south.

Skill Level: Beginner due to pace, Intermediate due to length
    Ride Pace: Social Cruise
    Type of Ride: Loop
    Rider Limit: The roads are free!
    Anticipated Mileage: 40
    Elevation Gain: 2,500
    Ride Duration: Seven hours
    Possible Bail-Outs: Many throughout the ride.
    Facilities: At brewery stops.
    Food/water suggestions: Water on route. Planning on eating lunch @ Hangar. Bring snacks/calories of your choice between lunch and finish @ Gourmet Pizza.

Hangar:
    h24_interior.jpg

Ritual:
    Ritual-Brewery.jpe

Escape:
    0813_nws_rdf-l-craftbeer-0813-07-jcm1.jpg

2. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    :thumbsup:This sounds like fun!

ricke24, mtnbikej, -ROCKY- and 2 others like this.
  3. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Why have any other kind of ride????

4. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    If my daughter didn't have state cup soccer games I'd go:(:(

-ROCKY-, Cyclotourist and Faust29 like this.
  5. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Hmmm... the two following weekends for me will be harder rides. Maybe a mellow ride on the 13th would be a good idea.

Thanks for throwing this out, David. :thumbsup:

6. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Definitely! Basically some of my buds that couldn't do RSR wanted to come out for a ride. And beer was mentioned. It grew from there! I tried to throw as much dirt together that was basically pretty easy and you wouldn't mind riding after hitting up a brewery. I was aiming for 30 miles, but I kept adding trails on! Lots of dirt, nothing steep, and the hills are beautiful! Very much a cruzy-casual sort of a day planned!

I hope some of you that are curious about the area can make it. It will be a great way to see some of the spots I post a lot of pictures of. And our breweries are really great. If you like beer a lot, you'll love the stops. If you're not a drinker, the environments are very casual, and you can put your feet up and hang out! Escape in particular is one of the best places to stop and sit a spell... I think everyone will really like them!

And the weather is looking PERFECT! I'm looking forward to this one!

7. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Looks like a lot of fun. I'll have to see what's what.

Faust29, -ROCKY- and Cyclotourist like this.
  8. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    I think you'd like it!

9. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    What a fabulous-sounding outing! Way to put it together, D. I haven’t mixed two of my favorite activities in forever...wish I could join.

mtnbikej, UPSed, Cyclotourist and 2 others like this.
  10. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    We're just down the road... we'll save you a spot!

Faust29 and mike like this.
  11. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Sounds fun....except I don't drink beer, and the thought of riding, then eating and sitting, then riding again and eating and sitting, then riding again....doesn't work for my system.

Have fun y'all.

UPSed, ricke24, herzalot and 2 others like this.
  12. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    While being a beer aficionado is a plus for this ride, it's not required. But hanging out for a while during the ride is built into it. I don't think that's the most efficient way to do it, but that's where we're at!

I'm planning on lunch @ Hangar, probably an hour and a half into it.
    https://hangar24web.wpengine.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/New-Food-Menu-copy.pdf
    Then after that, it will be the bulk of the ride. The final two breweries are basically at the end, so it will be easy to finish off after stopping there.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?