This is so f'ed up:

Discussion in 'Free Zone' started by sir crashalot, Jan 9, 2019.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Sidewalk, Old&InTheWay, mike and 2 others like this.
  2. sir crashalot

sir crashalot iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    im sorry but the national parks need to be closed to all use until the shutdown is over and they are restaffed.

3. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    A deceptively simple solution which flies in the face of an entitled public and managers that, apparently, aren’t all that keen on managing.

The damage is done and then management reacts. What a clown show.

mtnbikej, Faust29 and sir crashalot like this.
  4. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    JTree has always had a problem with this kind of behavior, before/during/after shutdowns. A majority of visitors treat the park with respect, but for whatever reason it seems to attract more than its fair share of low-lifes - particularly in certain parts of the park that you can access without paying the entrance fee. I have been way back in canyons that one year look pristine - and a year later have a ton of spray-paint graffiti in them. Why would someone want to hike 3 miles back into a canyon and then spraypaint crap on some rocks? It is because certain areas are hang-outs for the local kid population. Much of this abuse comes from the local population. It is a relatively economically depressed area. Most of the open space around the park is an environmental free-for-all, and includes vast tracts of off-road vehicle access. All it takes is a rumor that the rangers are not guarding the castle, and the riff-raff come out in droves.

Again - not saying it a majority of people - but it only takes a small minority to screw it up for the rest of us.

5. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    They did this last time, and the economic impact to communities around the parks that depend on tourism was too great. It truly shut down some cities for two weeks. People were cancelling vacations, cancelling hotel reservations, etc. Then when they started the government back up, all the Federal employees got back pay... but nothing for the local communities. So this time the decision was made to keep the parks open... but pull all the personnel except emergency staffers. Sadly it just shows that most humans can't manage to behave themselves unless they have big Mr. Government watching their every move.

Good news is that as long as you get out of your car and hike / bike 1 mile... you will never see 99% of them.

6. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    You have a spot-on understanding of what’s going on in JT, Greg. Thanks for helping steer this thread toward credibility and away from anecdotal nonsense.

7. sir crashalot

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    Ive noticed j tree going downhill since the early 90's when i used to go tehre a lot.

mtnbikej and mike like this.
  8. sir crashalot

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    Oh yeah. Well then NPS should be considered "essential" and not inactivated during a shutdown. Better yet, no more if this shutdown nonsense.
    Hmmn, which is worse, damage to a local economy or damage to a national park?
    And yeah, so true about the 1 mile or more from parking lot....wife and i have always said (and done) that.

Sidewalk, mtnbikej and mike like this.
  9. Derkderkall

Derkderkall iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
    Let's just hope that the yahoos in charge get settled, so that the yahoos in the wild stop running amok

mtnbikej and mike like this.
  10. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    When you stop to think about it, this is nothing new. There is a reason why the military was called in to protect Yellowstone and Sequoia National Parks back in the early years. General Grant and General Sherman trees were named by Civil War veteran cavalry that were there to stop the Yahoos from cutting them down.

sir crashalot likes this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?