This is so Awesome haha, Christopher Walken doing the new YT Jeffsy ad...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kazlx, Jan 10, 2019.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    And that's why it's great...

kazlx, mike and Cyclotourist like this.
  2. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Walken is related to someone in the YT company.

You guys kill me. You seem to want everything to be the same, within narrow parameters of marketing tripe. No, the ad will not make me want to buy a YT, but no ad makes me want to buy a particular bike, because they all say and show the same things. The ad is surreal, and completely tongue in cheek - and that's the point.

kazlx, mike, DangerDirtyD and 2 others like this.
  3. Sasquatch9billion

Sasquatch9billion iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    trinidad j. mendez
    My guess is that they got a hold of his agent under the guise of a voice over gig and then threw some crazy number$ at him for the on camera work:) I'm just curious what the number was...

mike and Cyclotourist like this.
  4. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    Minimums for most work are all union wage. Maximums are... well... whatever you can negotiate. Generally speaking, you are prohibited from working for free in the case of commercials. But I don't know what the rules are if this ad was only produced for the Internet...

Aside from Christopher Walken's fee, this was a very cheap commercial to shoot. Static scene, generic living room (might even be Walken's own), bike leaning against a wall. Shooting action shots of bikers - particularly pro bikers - is costly and difficult. If it was anyone other than Walken, it would be a real snooze-fest. 3 minutes of someone droning on about friendship? Count me out - I'd rather be biking :)

Heck, even DOG talent for a commercial can run over $100K. Taco Bell Loses $42 million Chihuahua Ruling

Nope. I just want an ad that does its job. This ad is a great example of the #1 sin of bad advertising - creative people get lost in their art and let their egos take over, and the ad that they produce is unique... but doesn't do its job. And all the ad execs get together and stroke each other at awards ceremonies, while the client spends millions and doesn't see jack from their investment.

I'll guarantee you they aren't doing any quantitative research on this. Numbers are the enemy of ad agencies :)

Cyclotourist, mike and Old&InTheWay like this.
  5. riiz

riiz Member

Name:
    Eric
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Heckler/Killmaleon
    YT must have saved a bunch money from letting go of Gwin to have hired Walken.

6. kazlx

kazlx Well-Known Member

Name:
    Joe
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB5.5
    Well, actual metrics aside, clicked on YTs channel. Little over 100K views in 3 days, the second most viewed vid is with Gwin and has 73K views in give or take 2 months...

7. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    That's a metric!

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?