This guy took the words out of my mind

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bigringrider101, Nov 30, 2015.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. bigringrider101

bigringrider101 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Berni Avila
    Current Bike:
    Jones Space Frame Ti truss for
    Good read, makes sense and that might be the reason why I'm still riding fully rigid.

If you'd minimize the paragraph below to one word, it would read "Burt".
    Once we’re out on the trail, though, it’s our legs that do the talking. Pushing the pace, smoking the group on a climb, or cleaning that technical section where everyone else dabbed is what gets you respect. Not the bike you showed up to the ride on.

www.singletracks.com/blog/mtb-gear/opinion-theres-nothing-wrong-with-your-bike

2. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Run whatcha' brung!
    I love bikes, all of 'em. That's my problem.
    But as Eddy said:
    quote-don-t-buy-upgrades-ride-up-grades-eddy-merckx-87-11-76.jpg

3. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Dang...I thought the carbon frame on my 29er would make me that much faster. Turns out my legs are more important than ever I imagined...:gag::)

4. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Hmmm, I never thought I would be considered a Luddite by riding my current bike, but I seem to be one of the last people riding such horribly outdated (2013-2015) equipment! Aluminum frame, 26" wheels, 2x10 drivetrain - but judging by the equipment most "hardcore" riders use, I am waaaaaaay behind the curve.

But here's something I discovered and say after almost every ride - my bike is a f---ing BLAST to ride! So, I will keep riding it, and keep smiling, and keep cursing myself for being a slow climber, and everyone else for being faster by virtue of their equipment, frequency of rides, diet, physiology, STRAVA or willpower. I will still beat all y'all down the hill (well, most....OK, some...). One thing is certain - I will have a smile on my face!

And as long as there is a Burt, I will never find a need to upgrade anything.

5. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    How boring would it be if we rode, believed, thought, lived, bought, liked, loved, hated, preferred, harbored, assumed, consumed, applied, worked, drank, ate, saw, heard, smelled, did, touched, inspired, conceived, enjoyed, disliked, thought, perceived, and concluded... the same thing.

I ride a 2012 3X10 26'er and I love my bike. It does not matter to me what the other person is riding as we ride. Oh we may joke, and tease, and brag but that is the social aspect of our common interest.

The beauty of this forum is we are drawn together by one reason... yet it provides the opportunity to share our differences.
    What would be the point of communication, a forum, or a relationship, if we were all the same.

We like cycling, but that is only one of the reasons why we are here. Just like there are so many options for cycling preferences, every post provides an opportunity to commune and interact in our own way.
    The differences, along with the similarities are what drives us to ride what we ride, and then talk about it.

Great post Berni!

I just say,
    Bike On! :thumbsup:

abuck55, gunga din, Faust29 and 10 others like this.
  6. StrandLeper

StrandLeper Well-Known Member

Name:
    Timothy M. Ryan
    Current Bike:
    SC Bronson 1x/Pivot 429 1x xtr
    So true. We all know it is the kit that makes the rider and not all that other stuff!

7. AKAlan

AKAlan Member

Name:
    AKA:Alan
    It's a well written message, but nothing new. I like to imagine that 200 years ago people would size up each other's horse's saddles, or the feathers in their hats, or whatever they were into at the time. The last paragraph takes it home-

"If you find yourself getting irritated by all the mountain bike news, here’s an idea: instead of taking your anger out on your keyboard, turn off your computer and go for a ride."

It's just as bad for someone to judge another's bike because they like to get all the latest upgrades as it is the opposite. Trying out different parts, upgrading, swapping, etc is fun as long as one doesn't fall into the delusion that these things will make them a better rider.

herzalot, abuck55, ridinrox and 3 others like this.
  8. bigringrider101

bigringrider101 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Berni Avila
    Current Bike:
    Jones Space Frame Ti truss for
    A few years back. We took the MRA shuttle to Sherman Pass. To ride Cannell and the Plunge. Somebody in the group was riding "The Bike" at the time, Ibis Mojo. He had the best bike out of the whole group but we all had to wait for him. Wait on the climbs, wait on the descents. We just kept tellim him -You are not worhty of that bike-.
    Kind of the opposite of the article.

DangerDirtyD, abuck55, Mikie and 2 others like this.
  9. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Bottom line.....at the end of the day....a great rider can shred on a shitty bike.....a shitty rider cannot shred no matter how great the bike.

AKAlan, herzalot, abuck55 and 8 others like this.
  10. blixet

blixet Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Transition Scout, TJ Ti
    Saw a picture way back of the hot surfer of the day, maybe Tom Curren, surfing on a door. Like a house front door. Stopped my excuse riddled gob.

AKAlan, abuck55, ridinrox and 4 others like this.
  11. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    In my opinion, a good rider can ride fast on a shitty bike, but to maintain control under such speeds requires not just balance and timing, but also sturdy wheels, brakes, suspension, and welds.

12. StrandLeper

StrandLeper Well-Known Member

Name:
    Timothy M. Ryan
    Current Bike:
    SC Bronson 1x/Pivot 429 1x xtr
    I have what a few people consider to be "the bike." (well, until the new new Bronson was released a few weeks ago). When I decided to get back into mountain bike riding and I asked a friend who was really into it, he suggested "the bike." After demoing one and then getting the green light from the wife, I was pretty well motivated to not be "that guy" on "that bike." That was some good motivation to ride more, and push harder... not wanting to be the last guy up every climb or down every descent and thus "unworthy" of my ride. In fact, I am pretty sure that I am not worthy of my ride yet, but I sure am having a lot of fun (and I am not the last one up or the last one down anymore)! A year, a drive-train, 1200 miles (excluding trainer miles) and a few levels of fitness later, I am trying to figure out this whole speed on the downhill thing... trying to lean the bike lower into turns, pump out of drops, soft hands & heavy feet, stay off the brakes... make it up "whose your daddy" without dabbing (or puking)... clean tight switchbacks, rest while spinning... would I be having THIS much fun on a lesser bike? I don't know. But I DO know, that when I fail at any given task on that beautiful green machine, it is MY fault and MY fault alone. There is something to that.

AKAlan, Cougar, pperrelle and 9 others like this.
  13. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    ^^^@StrandLeper ... :cry:That was beautiful man!^^^

StrandLeper likes this.
  14. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Bert doesn't do much social media and Bernie passed away in a car accident a little over a year ago. :cry:

15. da big hills

da big hills iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    tripple rings are the bomb

16. Y-not

Y-not Well-Known Member

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Pivot Mach 6, Litespeed SS
    They are. Still running a set on the XC bike

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?