Things you don't want to hear from the guy at your LBS...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MCB2K, Aug 24, 2015.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. MCB2K

MCB2K Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brian Kiggins
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc
    There is nothing more annoying in this day and age than hitting up the LBS and trying to give them your money... only to have the very first words come out of their mouth:

"I can order that for you..."

Do they not realize that I can order it for me too... and have it delivered to my door.

Now I get it, not every shop can carry every item, but the way an employee (or in this case the owner of said LBS) responds goes a long ways towards getting some of my money.

Rant over...

Chevrolegs, herzalot, RS VR6 and 3 others like this.
  2. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    In defence of the shop employee, after getting a diagnosis and recommendation for free, the "customer" takes that knowledge out of the brick and mortar shop and buys the part online. Then the showroomer will complain about how much it costs to install!
    I once had a guy that I fitted for bike shoes that he decided not to purchase. He then went and bought a different brand shoe online and brought them to the shop to complain that they didn't fit properly and it was my fault for an improper fitting. The shoes were from a brand we didn't even carry!!!!

Rant over...but subject to renewal at anytime!!!!!

3. MCB2K

MCB2K Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brian Kiggins
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc
    In this case, there was no diagnosis... the conversation went something like this:

Me: Are these all the tires you have?
    Owner: There's a bunch in those boxes... (pointing to the pile sitting on the floor)
    Me: Looking for a Maxxis High Roller II.
    Owner: I can order it for you Monday, and have it here Wednesday.
    Me: Okay, thanks... (SMH)

This is the same owner that just a couple of weeks ago I had a conversation with, and told him how excited I was that we had a new bike shop in town. That I would give him a shot at future business.

Point is... had it gone something more like this, I'd wouldn't be airing this out here:

Me: Are these all the tire you have?
    Owner: What are you looking for?
    Me: Maxxis High Roller II
    Owner: Man, we can't keep those in stock, they are a great tire and we sell as fast as we get em...
    Me: Yeah, they are a great tire...
    Owner: We're placing an order on Monday, and we'll have some on Wednesday. Want me to put you name on 1 or 2?
    Me: Yeah... that sounds great!
    Owner: Give me your name and number, we'll give you a call when they get here...
    Me: Sweet!

Same content, different delivery... See the difference?

Mikie, herzalot, Faust29 and 5 others like this.
  4. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    That's my buddy's bike shop right there. That's why I go there. My LBS sits on orders for 2 - 3 weeks before he sends them in.

Runs with Scissors and MCB2K like this.
  5. skyungjae

skyungjae Member

Name:
    Kyung Jae
    Current Bike:
    2015 Santa Cruz Bronson C
    This doesn't bother so much, as I usually say, "Nah, it's alright."

My LBS is usually pretty straight forward. "Let me see if we have it in the back... let me check the other store... just get it on eBay."

Mikie and MCB2K like this.
  6. riiz

riiz Member

Name:
    Eric
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Heckler/Killmaleon
    I dont mind ordering parts from the LBS, I like the people there and its another excuse/reason to hang out and bullshit.

The only thing that bums me out, is that my local shop cant service suspension.

Mikie, Runs with Scissors and MCB2K like this.
  7. Rob S.

Rob S. Member

Name:
    Rob Skinner
    Every once in a while I'll stop by my local store to see if they have what I need, and the overwhelming majority of the time they tell me they can have it by Friday. Too bad, because I can pay less and have it at my front door by tomorrow or the next day, and almost always for less.

Mikie, UPSed and MCB2K like this.
  8. MCB2K

MCB2K Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brian Kiggins
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc
    Exactly what happened... I ordered the tire I was looking for, from the comfort of my front seat in my truck, from the parking lot, on a Saturday. I got it for most certainly less than the LBS would have charged, didn't pay sales tax and for a nominal shipping charge (I didn't break the $50 barrier :( ) it will arrive at my front door on the same day my new wheels arrive. This transaction was completed with a large online retailer that may or may not be located in the SLC area and has always provided top notch service when I've had to contact them.

They will continue to get the bulk of my bike business. :thumbsup:

Mikie likes this.
  9. Racer X

Racer X Member

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Kona Explosif
    ...I thought you got the line I always hear when I'm looking at an $8500 bike and the $9 an hour, part time employee walks up and says....

Great bike, I just bought one last week...

10. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    If it's something I can plan for, and not need immediately, I don't mind waiting for my local shop (The Path- Live Oak) to order it. Also- I get to talk to them about it, and they usually give me good advice. The relationship is there, and I might not be so eager to wait if the experiences left a negative impression, like MCB2K had.

I have also never felt the "upsell" there... Which is something I absolutely can't stand.

MCB2K, Mikie, doublewide and 2 others like this.
  11. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    My go to shop is the Path live oak also. I try to buy most times there, ( local business' are the life blood of a community ) they don't up-sell me, and a couple times said I didn't need to replace items I requested. Truly they hook me up and I'm stoke to go there. Great people for sure.

Maybe 10% of bikes items bought on-line. at most.....I like it that way. It ain't all about the money!

MCB2K, Mikie, herzalot and 1 other person like this.
  12. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    This is my experience with Buena Park Bikes. They will do everything they can and if they just don't have it they will say so. And usually point me to where I can get it. Which is why my road bike is there now for four new cables.

skyungjae, MCB2K, Mikie and 2 others like this.
  13. Varaxis

Varaxis Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dan Vu
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB5c ('16 Yellow v1)
    I'm aware of small bike shops that are aware of showroomers. They tend to carry things that can't be bought online for cheap, such as Speedplay pedals and Specialized stuff. Service tends to be what gets them the a reliable source of income, esp if they have mechanics that do things in a fraction of the time an amateur does it in, but if they're blessed with a good location, bikes can be a big money maker. Not so for small towns, due to all the people who get shocked that bikes cost so much and try and haggle. They just can't compete in some areas. It's a load off their mind if they don't even bother to, and to just focus on what they can do.

Faust29, MCB2K and Mikie like this.
  14. RS VR6

RS VR6 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Lee
    Current Bike:
    Banshee Shartfire/Chiner 29r
    I buy a lot of random stuff. Things bike shops will typically not carry. I also wrench on my own bikes. There isn't much reason for me to go to a bike shop. Only thing I can't really do is suspension. I don't have the confidence to mess with that yet.

It is nice to have a local shop you trust to go to in case you are in a bind. There is a small shop that I do use. He's a real nice guy and I go to him when I can...but unfortunately he doesn't stock a lot of parts.

I did have to use a local shop recently that I don't frequent to buy a brake hose...and I paid retail. :Roflmao

15. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    There are two bike shops I frequent in OC that, between them, usually have just about anything I need - and neither charges me full retail. Two recent examples: Got done with a ride and decided to get a new rear tire. I wanted a Maxxis Minion DH R II in a 26 TLR. I also wanted to up-size my Minion DH F. Dropped in at The BikeCo in Lake Forest and they had both. I also picked up new derailleur pulleys for a 10 spd XTR circa 2011. In February, I needed to change my transmission due to wear. I wanted/needed a 10spd rear cassette - XT 11-36, a KMC chain and a 24 and a 36 Race Face Turbine chainrings. The Path had everything but the 36t ring, so I grabbed what they had, headed over to BikeCo and got the 36t chainring. Dropped it all at Stage21 and had it back - installed - that evening.

I almost take this for granted and then I am reminded what most bike shops look and feel like - JAX, Performance, etc. Shops that try to cater to the average bicycle-buying public from neophyte, kids and bike path riders to those starting to get "serious" about riding. Bells, baskets, locks, comfy saddles, cheap tires... Or, little shops that don't carry much but "can order that for you."

When I travel elsewhere, I rarely find a shop like The Path or Bike Co. There's only one (Mojo Wheels) in all of the Denver metro area where you think there would be an abundance. There are none like it in Breckenridge, Winter Park, Keystone, Vail or even Whistler. Those places have a few good pro-shops where you can get some essentials including body armor, but they cater to the one-time seasonal visitor, not the repeat customer. They can usually do repairs on the spot or overnight - they have to.

I understand the Fullerton Bikes and BP Bikes are also like this, so OC has 4 well-stocked and well-stoked bike shops that cater to hard-core cyclists. We are fortunate. I almost never buy online and I never pay full retail. I love my LBSs. :thumbsup:

16. jaime

jaime Well-Known Member

Name:
    jaime
    Current Bike:
    '20 YT Jeffsy carbon 27'5
    I go to my LBS and try to buy there as much as I can afford, once in a while I do buy stuff online, but in my LBS I have a good friendship with all of them, got good advice, sometimes 10% dicounts, and most of the times free adjusments, sometimes I call them to order something and depends on what day I call, the have it for the 3rd day, so everytime I go over the border, 1 case of mexican cokes are brought to them. ohhh almost forgot I'm riding their Reing... Life is good !

ridinrox, Mikie, Faust29 and 2 others like this.
  17. Varaxis

Name:
    Dan Vu
    Current Bike:
    I will say bluntly, that the biggest gunshot wound in the foot comes from bike shops charging ~$10-15 to change 1 flat tire. This turns off so many people*, making them think that bike shops are a rip off. The impression sticks, sadly. Once they learn that they can get tubes cheaper elsewhere, learn to do it themselves, they may swear off ever going back.

* normal people, not bike enthusiasts.

Mikie likes this.
  18. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Specy Epic, Stumpu and Enduro
    10-15 bucks is not to much to have a tube installed. As a business owner myself(not a bike shop) quite a few people in this world are not capable of changing a tire that is where LBS comes into play.

Mikie, Luis and herzalot like this.
  19. Rob S.

Rob S. Member

Name:
    Rob Skinner
    Gotta say, though, that $15 is a more-than-fair price. The employee has to first talk with the customer, write up the ticket and take the bike out back, then actually do the work, and then ring it up on the register. That's at least a quarter man hour and the cost of a tube. Add to that employee idle time when there are no customers, rent, utilities, and the boss' slice of the pie. It's actually pretty amazing that for fifteen bucks you can get anything more than the time of day.

Mikie, Danimal, LLPoolJ and 3 others like this.
  20. Luis

Luis iMTB Addict

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    La Diabla
    Agreed! Whats the average price of a tube, $5.99 plus tax? The rest is labor. The awesome LBS would show the customer how to install the tube themselves. Then the customer can decide if it's something that they can do themselves in the future. Either way the shop would get a customer that comes back to buy parts/supplies or brings the bike in for repairs.

I know it's a oversimplified explanation of a sales process, but being in the retail business myself, I understand that there are all kinds of customers out there.

Mikie and UPSed like this.
  21. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    What would be a fair price for the tube and to have it installed? We charge $5.99 for a standard tube and $5.00 labor, so with tax the total is $11.44.

Mikie, riiz and UPSed like this.
  22. riiz

riiz Member

Name:
    Eric
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Heckler/Killmaleon
    Dont change the price, but turn it into a learning experience at the same time. Tell the customer, "I charge $5 for labor but you're welcome to watch and learn just in case you're on the road/trail and need to change a tube in the future". You might not make any labor after that on tubes, but it should guarantee a repeat customer that might feel grateful for the education.

BonsaiNut and Mikie like this.
  23. Varaxis

Name:
    Dan Vu
    Current Bike:
    That there is the challenge. There are soooo many ways to do it differently that wins customer loyalty.

Imagine, customer takes their broken down wal-mart bike to 1 bike shop. The staff see that filthy thing, not really wanting to stick their fingers on the chain and RD to pull off the rear wheel, etc. That bike shop charges $10+ for the tube + service, based on their basic labor rate. The customer reluctantly pays, perhaps comparing the cost to a dinner or pre-price hike gas tank fillup.

Next flat, they take it to a second bike shop, since they did not have any real reason to come back to the first one. What if this shop offered free labor if you bought something else in the shop $10 or more? Perhaps the customer buys a bike bell, a nice stainless bottle cage, or insulated bottle. You got them to look at your other merchandise that way. Consider it a loss leader, to attract customers. That guy will be coming back, especially if he saw something else that caught his eye. Maybe that shop has a load of other $10 items on the wall, like anodized pink and blue chainring bolts, etc. and if people come out that shop riding their blinged bikes and creates a trend... Might be lucky and be the only shop that carries ano bling.

Or maybe a very creative entrepreneur will create a bike and bar setup with a bike co-op area (could be like Cook's Corner, except for bicyclists). They'd strategically lay out bike mags to freely read, while serving hip cyclist friendly foods and drinks, and other services for cyclists. Can do a reward/point system for paying patrons that show up on their bike. Can treat the bike shop thing as a side-business, with service being primary, offering store "loyalty" credit for purchases (sort of like a % off, but the money saved can be only redeemed on a future purchase). There's usually bike rats around, kids that just like to hang out. Maybe if someone brought in their broken down bike and bought something, maybe they can offer their point rewards and maybe a tip, to the kids to change their tube for them, if the kids were actually willing. Kid's likely going to spend that tip at the shop. Maybe while they wait, they would mingle with the community, and become slightly interested. Reading those mags gets people to want to buy stuff. Seeing people install stuff with the tools in the co-op area, people get interested in that too. Maybe have a community wall area that shows off highlight pics of patrons.

Sticking to the bottom line and apparently doubling the cost of the tube, even though the labor can be justified to be that much, is that much of a shock to the consumer. Shops are losing sight of how the consumer sees things and it's costing them. They could be creating these consumers that are trying to avoid a situation where they feel they're getting ripped off, even if 90+% of bike shops do the same thing, and that's probably why some of them showroom. Shops need to evolve, IMO. Being a passionate cyclist with experience in a shop just isn't enough as an owner. Might have to take some cues from the auto repair shops doing oil changes for $20 or less... maybe have a nice high end bike ready to be taken for a spin at any given time, just sitting there, with a sign that says "test ride me!" If the customer tests rides it while waiting, and discovers just how amazing the bike feels compared to theirs, that gets the customer to open their eyes to the sport just a bit more, perhaps starting small and imagining how much better a pro tune-up gets their current bike running. Like the bar, you're basically getting them to stay in the shop and marketing to them in various ways to get them to buy nicer stuff, and making sure they don't feel bad about spending the money. Marketing that a bike is cheaper than hospital bills for heart issues...

Mikie and MCB2K like this.
  24. MCB2K

MCB2K Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brian Kiggins
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc
    That sir, hits the nail on the head. :D

My experience above was with this exact owner. o_O

Mikie likes this.
  25. doublewide

doublewide iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallcan
    I can't wait for Varaxis to open his shop!!! That place with be SO bitchen! I like to drink beer when I shop for bike parts.......on a couch. Will you have this in your shop? Maybe some snackies? Bunch of TV's with MTB and road bike videos playing? Maybe a small stage for some rock bands or spoken word (bike related of course) MAN, I cannot wait! Where is it going to be located? Close to a good trailhead I hope. Keep us posted! :p

Mikie, herzalot, jaime and 5 others like this.
  26. ridinrox

ridinrox Well-Known Member

Name:
    Roxanne
    Current Bike:
    '16 Giant Trance Advance
    All I know is Fullerton Bikes makes you feel like a Superstar every time you walk in - I don't get that any where else. Franzee and Dino won me over for life!! :inlove:

GregMiester, Mikie, rojomas and 4 others like this.
  27. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Specy Epic, Stumpu and Enduro
    Business owners are not super heroes, they have bad days just like you and I. They say things they don't mean to say, they say things that customers may take out of context. Many walks of life walk through their doors every day, getting every interaction perfect is not going to happen. We as consumers must understand this and give them some slack. The Internet and a price conscious society puts them between a rock and a hard place. They definitely have to evolve but there is not a book to point them in the right direction, its a guessing game.
    What we as consumers think is an easy fix might not be easy at all. This guy wants this that guy wants this blah blah blah. In the end he has to to pick from 1000 of items has sales reps pressuring him to sell this and that. Which is the right direction only a few get it right, the rest struggle to keep the doors open.
    Give it a try for yourself someday. Invest 100grand of your own money and play ball your opinions may change dramatically.
    Just my opinion from 12years of business ownership in the service business.

28. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    We teach customers all the time how to change a tube/tire if they want to know how. We are a new shop and don't have a disposable clientele, so we go far and above what some other shops would do to keep our customers happy. We are growing but not at a fast rate. In the last 9 months alone I have delivered and picked more bikes than I have in all my years working in a shop. We have gone as far a Tehchapi to actually do a repair on sight. Labor is a neccasary charge and we try to keep that to a minimum.

I love to go to other shops and like to check out their setups and especially pricing, Bakersfield as a whole is a lot cheaper to get repairs done than most cities. For example I was up North riding and went to Folsom bike, a basic tuneup is $80. We charge $50 and they get a lot more bang for the buck.

GregMiester, Mikie, ridinrox and 3 others like this.
  29. Andy

Andy Well-Known Member

Name:
    Andy
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    That's not my experience with FB - and I've never set foot in their stores again.
    (This obviously doesn't include Dino, who is totally awesome)

Mikie likes this.
  30. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    As far as the worst shop I have been to, Art's Cyclery in San Luis Obispo is the worst culprit. I have been there many times and every time I have had terrible service. The last time I was there, I was in there picking up some gels and was looking around for at least 20 minutes and was heading to the register before someone acknowledged me. This is typical of them when I go in there.

The best of course is The Path in Tustin, Foothill Cyclery and Wally's in San Luis Obispo are my top three.

Mikie, riiz and rojomas like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?