There's more to leading a ride than leading the ride

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mike, Jul 27, 2017.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    I get the feeling some think that leading a ride means going faster than everyone on the team. If anything, the ride leader should be sweeping or otherwise keeping his flock together, not leaving stragglers behind.

I think this would be common sense, but it isn't IME. FWIW. WTF. TFR.

2. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Great post. In the past when I was asked to lead a ride I would politely decline as I was the slowest climber in the group. Turns out I was always riding with a great group of guys. I led a ride and everyone had fun. Of course this was before Strava. :gag:

3. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    And now...you go the extra mile to shun the influence of social media and look after your peeplez like a boss, right?!?!? GOOD WORK, ED :)

4. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    I believe if you show up to a ride I post without explicitly saying I will take care of you, you should take care of yourself. Remember @mike when we and @rossage scared off the warpig with our night ride in the walk-in freezer?

I won't abandon anyone unless he or she is an ass, but please don't ruin my opportunities to ride.

My last SART ride was a mission failed because Booges bonked, so @burt had to ride solo the entire day. I didn't abandon Booges, but I abandoned Burt. If the ride is not advertised as a community ride or no-rider-left-behind ride, it's not the ride leader's fault; it's the guy who shows up unprepared.

Also, the Bomb Squad is not a babysitting service.

All I'm saying is there are rides for the community and then there are rides to get the demons out of our souls.

5. doublewide

doublewide iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallcan
    That's why I choose to not ride with any of you guys, ya'll are asses! :Roflmao

Except @mike I'd ride with Mike.

6. pperrelle

pperrelle iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ripley V4 & Ripmo V2
    I have to agree with @mike on this one. I think if you post a ride invite on a public forum, you should accept some responsibility for the riders that show up. You almost have to expect that the ride may be over one of the riders heads or someone will have an issue. The alternative is to ride with your usual group of guys where you understand everyone's capabilities and readiness. I guess you could explicitly state that it's not a no drop ride and each rider is on their own once you pull away from the trailhead, but then why post the ride at all? I don't post a lot of group rides on here, but I did when I used to dirt bike a lot. The rule was always that you were responsible to make sure the rider behind you made all trail splits and the group as a whole went as fast as the slowest rider.

7. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    The ride invite is a good tool to let others know what is expected. The one inviting should hold to what they say though. I once went on a ride that stated there were several bail out options, but when I asked for a bail out option during the ride, the ride leader was lost for words?!?!? Times I've put out a ride invite as far as the route, I'm usually very open to suggestions and/or changes/options as the ride progresses.

8. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    I've done "drop rides" where it was advertised that if you can't keep up, be prepared to take care of yourself. But those are rare, and advertised as such.

Most group rides I do we regroup after climbs and descents. And if there are multiple line options, guide the less skilled riders to the easier lines.

Group rides where you try to stay in front is called a "race". I'm all for racing, but don't call a "race" a group ride and vice versa.

kioti, DBMX119, Cyclotourist and 11 others like this.
  9. Maddog

Maddog Well-Known Member

Name:
    Greg Madison
    Current Bike:
    Intense Tracer 275
    I completely agree with @mike and @pperrelle! I've been the slowest rider on nearly every group ride I've joined. I can tell you it's no fun when I ride for several miles without seeing anyone from the "group". I'm not unprepared or incapable of finishing the ride, I'm just slower than most. I believe group rides should be only as fast as the slowest rider unless advertised as a hammer-fest. Wait at the top of climbs, trail splits and the bottom of descents just to be courteous, decent and check for problems. If you don't like long waits, don't ride so fast:thumbsup:! For safety, nobody should ever be dropped or abandoned even if they are a :poop:!
    On those rare occasions when I'm not the slowest and I find someone riding behind me, I always pause to check on them regularly. To me that's being civil to another rider and is something I do whether I was the ride leader or not. People on this site do many rides for faster riders in small groups which is completely appropriate. But when a cattle call goes out for an open ride invite, the ride should always be no drop, frequent stops to reassemble, and considerate for even the least among us regardless of who's the leader.

10. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Maybe that is why no one ever shows up for my rides :rolleyes:o_O

To a point, the ride leader has a certain amount of responsibility to the group/ride. That usually starts with making sure that all the attendees understand what is expected.

I know my rides are clear....you are responsible for you. Come prepared. Know your limits.....don't show up for an Advanced ride if you are a Beginner. Don't show up for a 60 mile mtn bike ride if all you ever ride is 1 loop of the Fullerton Loop once a week. I don't believe in holding your hand through the ride. If you show up, put your big boy pants on take responsibility for yourself.

The ride leader is usually responsible for setting the route, the time, the pace, they set the terms of the ride. Do they have to lead from up front....nope, but it is usually how it works out. I have swept rides that I have led. I have also ridden out front on someone else's rides. Everyone pedals at different speeds.....I believe in the regroups along the way, but I also like to keep moving....so I prefer to keep the regroups short. I'll also slow the pace down so that the wait time is shorter from the front of the pack to the back of the pack.

I also don't like to interfere with someone else's ride. If I am having a bad day, legs are bonking, feel like crap, in a bad mood....I keep it to myself. Don't expect the whole ride to turn around because you are having a bad day. Our 4th of July ride on Holy Jim, I decided to turn back early.....tried to talk the others into continuing on....I didn't want their ride to be affected by mine. In the end it was up to them....but I felt bad.

Most of the time someone will offer to sweep....that is their choice....nothing wrong with it.

Putting a group ride together then going out and blowing up the group from the front, kinda defeats the purpose of the group ride. Then again, riding from the back and pushing the pace is kinda fun.

I know.....kind of all over the place with this one. Maybe it's why I don't put beginner social rides together.

Lots of good opinions from everyone above. :thumbsup:

11. Maddog

Maddog Well-Known Member

Name:
    Greg Madison
    Current Bike:
    Intense Tracer 275
    Glad those "drop rides" are rare! What if you can't keep up because you crashed into some rocks and your leg is pointing 4 different directions:eek:! Guess you're on your own!

12. wc_surveyor

wc_surveyor Member

Name:
    Dean
    Current Bike:
    Giant Anthem SX
    +1

Mikie, mike, pperrelle and 1 other person like this.
  13. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    If I want to talk to myself or ride fast (for me...), I don't put it out on the forum. Easy enough. If I do put something out for the group, I try to be clear about bailouts, time expectations, and any other requirements. If we go past time, though, it doesn't bother me. Things happen... Anyone want to hit Motorway for the first time? Ask... I'm fine if it takes 4+ hours. We'll talk and have fun. :thumbsup:

As a rider, though, I do my own research, and I think most others do as well. If someone puts out a new ride (like Cannell...), I watch videos, read ride reports over and over, study the elevation charts, and use Google Earth to identify landmarks. I do not want to be the guy who's causing trouble at mile 10 of a 30 mile ride.

14. bigringrider101

bigringrider101 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Berni Avila
    Current Bike:
    Jones Space Frame Ti truss for
    I think I got you on this one. At least @Faust29 shows to some of your rides. My rides are always a one man band.

15. Evoracer

Evoracer Member

Name:
    "That Guy"
    Current Bike:
    HBall SS, N9 old SS
    I can't hang, so I ride solo most of the time at my own pace. Though, I'm missing some great opportunities to hit new dirt with a group.

16. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    I prefer solo or small squad tactics, less the 5 riders. But once, I had 6 people confirm for a ride and 17 showed up. When the group gets large, I tend to migrate to the rear, delegating someone else to stop at trail crossings and feed stops while I run sweep. You can only go as fast as the slowest rider so just put it om cruise control and take lots of safety breaks.

17. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    I am wondering what you guys think if everyone in the group taking a turn at leading on any given ride, or on every group ride?

You may say- what is some of the riders are unfamiliar with the ride they are participating in?

My reply would be- good, maybe they will get us all lost, if only for a little while, to add to the adventure.

18. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    Safety first! :thumbsup:

[inhale]:whistling:

19. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Too many Chiefs, not enough Indians...

20. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    Taking turns leading the ride is usually how group rides occur, at least with the Bomb Squad. Don't get me wrong, I'll wait for the last guy; hell, usually I'm being waited for (recalling those of you who rode the Cannel #2 kamikaze ride, plunging in the smoke). All I'm saying is don't show up unprepared, like that Barney with the 1.75"-wide tires on Palm Canyon. I was the guy guiding him to circumvent Indian Potrero to Rock Creek Wash and back to Dunn Road; where was the rest of the group, you ask? They were already at the Hahn Buena Vista trailhead. It's all good.

21. shawndoh

shawndoh Well-Known Member

Name:
    shawn
    Current Bike:
    I ride all the bikes!
    Good thread.
    I feel responsible for being true to the ride description. I also understand that it's pretty inevitable, someone will show up who either didn't understand/read the description, who overestimated themselves or just wanted to push themselves. When that happens, I need to facilitate a happy medium, between the ride description and the riders. That happens in many different ways, I just need to be flexible and considerate. I think the number one thing to me is that once a group of people assembles, there will be an organic outcome that may not have been parallel to the plan.
    Group rides are just like life? It's not my ride, it's ours.
    deep thoughts...
    :)

22. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    Yea man! Pass the dutchie!

23. Luis

Luis iMTB Addict

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    La Diabla
    I have yet to lose a rider on any of my rides. :thumbsup:

I think :whistling:

24. RS VR6

RS VR6 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Lee
    Current Bike:
    Banshee Shartfire/Chiner 29r
    Lol...I've been in pretty much all situations! I got dropped to to holy heck on my very first road group ride back in 2008. The guys at the shop kept telling me to go and that the pace is "not that bad". Well...it was that bad. I ended up getting dropped, lost and arrived back at the shop 30 mins after everyone else. After that I went full roadie and it took me about a year before I was able to keep up with the back of the pack:rolleyes:.

I've also led beginner road rides from my shop days. For that you really need patience to keep yourself from riding off the front and losing the people behind you. The constant stopping was the hardest part.

The best thing you can do for yourself is to try and know what you are about to get yourself into...and beware when people tell you it's not that bado_O:poop::cautious:.

Cyclotourist, Mikie, herzalot and 9 others like this.
  25. scottay

scottay Well-Known Member

Name:
    Scottay
    I remember a pissed off dude admonishing some of us after he asked us to wait before the last turn/DH section after a long climb on new dirt .
    We got over eager and no one waited.
    "Do any of you feel the least bit ashamed of yourselves?!" or something to that extent. We had finally stopped to wait about halfway down.
    I noticed I had lost my camera on the trail. Guess who found it? Yep....he didnt tell me until he got done with the tongue lashing tho.
    I think H^B waited every quarter mile after that!

Cyclotourist, Mikie, herzalot and 9 others like this.
  26. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Worthy input here as expected.

Agree, riders joining rides also have a responsibility. Safety in numbers is essentially a misconception. In some ways it's the opposite. Nobody can make you pedal when you can't, but if you have a PLB you can do something about a life-threatening situation wherever you are.

Cyclotourist, Mikie, mtnbikej and 6 others like this.
  27. Maddog

Maddog Well-Known Member

Name:
    Greg Madison
    Current Bike:
    Intense Tracer 275
    Hopefully, the group members learned something after that experience:thumbsup:! This example shows that you gotta make sure everyone makes the crucial last turn; and then you can bomb down the trail:p!

28. sir crashalot

sir crashalot iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    ah, the joy of riding solo...

29. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    Right!? I'm always on time for those rides!

30. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

I luv you Maddog!

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?