The Weather Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Cornholio, Oct 24, 2016.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    That's purty!

mike, Mikie and mtnbikej like this.
  2. da big hills

da big hills iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    I saw snow on Mt Waterman and Mt Pacifico from work today. San Antonio was wrapped in clouds

mike and Mikie like this.
  3. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    Both my ambulance AND my motorcycle are sitting on the curb, but I ride the damn bicycle in the rain instead :facepalm:

Old&InTheWay, Mikie, mike and 4 others like this.
  4. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Seems odd the imtbweather cam is showing some black hole of dryness out in the Barstow area... What's REALLY going on out there??? :unsure:
    upload_2021-12-20_15-43-46.png

5. blixet

blixet Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Transition Scout, TJ Ti
    Cow farts?

Sidewalk, ~JB~, Mikie and 2 others like this.
  6. redwoods

redwoods Well-Known Member

Name:
    Patrick
    Current Bike:
    Ridin' heavy
  7. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    The hand of GOD? :eek:

Tom the Bomb, herzalot, ~JB~ and 3 others like this.
  8. Y-not

Y-not Well-Known Member

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Pivot Mach 6, Litespeed SS
    Wellllll, I guess I'm going to give ride reports from my stationary bike. Rain until next year with temperatures in the 30's, so the trails won't dry out either.
    I may have to road trip to "The OC" and ride.

Tom the Bomb, tick, Danimal and 5 others like this.
  9. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Looks like I'll be doing some road miles on my gravel bike while I'm on vacation next week.

10. Agent Orange

Agent Orange Member

Name:
    Yokel Legend
    Current Bike:
    '98 Specialized FSR Comp
    We had torrential rain last week that caused all sorts of mud flows near burn areas. I had to turn around here and the road was closed for several days. It also got the forest closed again around the area.

20211214_0738211.jpg

The little sprinkle of snow here last week caused the LADPW to again spread ridiculous amounts of volcanic gravel just where TFE. I'm not exaggerating when I say that the amount of gravel is more dangerous than ice. I went down on it several years ago and got a screwed-up bike and shoulder. This is where a vehicle crashed on dry pavement because of it:
    DSC019755.jpg

So slab rides are not a given until they quit slopping it everywhere. March maybe? Rain forecast through the weekend, so maybe I'll get some mileage out of my Zwift trial.

Old&InTheWay, mike, herzalot and 4 others like this.
  11. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    Merry Christmas! No weather problems here, but you know a hurricane is lurking around the corner somewhere :) One of the few winter weeks where we may out-perform the OC on weather :)

tm.jpg

mv.jpg

mike, herzalot, mtnbikej and 4 others like this.
  12. Y-not

Y-not Well-Known Member

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Pivot Mach 6, Litespeed SS
    There's blue sky up there.
    Didn't last long.....

87054.jpeg

Fueledbyex8, Mikie, bvader and 6 others like this.
  13. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Beeeyoooteefulll!

Mikie likes this.
  14. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Never been much of a “snow guy”…
    But I have to admit, I’m really enjoying this.
    7E268BCE-6E3C-4702-A32B-6F29B0422617.jpeg

8E5A2643-FBC5-4A10-A667-98E82439B23F.jpeg

Fueledbyex8, ~JB~, Faust29 and 12 others like this.
  15. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    @Mikie.... It snows in Arkansas?

Mikie likes this.
  16. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    ^^^ Hell has frozen over!

In other news, there was no rain in the forecast for today. But it's raining here right now. Forecast now says .2"

mtnbikej, Mikie, RIGID and 1 other person like this.
  17. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Yeah, I'm thinking I need to hightail it out of here if I don't want to get wet.
    Screenshot_20220115-080336_AccuWeather.jpg

18. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
  19. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, black one, Ti one
    I was thinking the same thing till I looked outside and saw how hard the wind is blowing.:thumbsdown:

mtnbikej, Mikie, UPSed and 1 other person like this.
  20. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    Right? Same here. I was on the way to the trail and it started pouring. No warning. I am glad I did not get caught in it on the trail though.

mtnbikej, Mikie, evdog and 3 others like this.
  21. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    It was howling like crazy here. Fortunately, by the time I left, It had died down quite a bit. Ran into a few sprinkles up on Albertson so I decided to cut it short and head back.

22. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    herzalot likes this.
  23. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    If the tsunami comes up another 147', I will have to scramble for high ground!

Obsidian, CBone and Mikie like this.
  24. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    I hear that there has been flooding in Hawaii that beached some boats! :eek:

News says low level parking lots have water in them here along the coast.

Old&InTheWay and Mikie like this.
  25. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Boom! There it is! Boom! There it is!

26. blixet

blixet Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Transition Scout, TJ Ti
    Just started raining a little while ago. Looks like it's going to be a no go for a morning ride today. Darn it! Maybe it'll pass through quickly and dry up a bit in an hour or two.

Mikie, DangerDirtyD and Faust29 like this.
  27. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I've seen many versions of this story over the years... In some the protagonist moves to Florida at the end. :laugh:

The weather forecast called for 1 inch at my mom's house today. As of this morning, they are at 18 and counting... Hard to tell for certain, though, with the 40 mph winds. :laugh:

December 8 - 6:00 PM
    It started to snow. The first snow of the season and the wife and I took our cocktails and sat for hours by the window watching the huge soft flakes drift down from heaven. It looked like a Grandma Moses Print. So romantic we felt like newlyweds again.

I love snow!

December 9
    We woke to a beautiful blanket of crystal white snow covering every inch of the landscape. What a fantastic sight! Can there be a lovelier place in the whole world?
    Moving here was the best idea I've ever had! Shoveled for the first time in years and felt like a boy again. I did both our driveway and the sidewalks. This afternoon the snowplow came along and covered up the sidewalks and closed in the driveway, so I got to shovel again.

What a perfect life!

December 12
    The sun has melted all our lovely snow. Such a disappointment! My neighbor tells me not to worry- we'll definitely have a white Christmas. No snow on Christmas would be awful! John says we'll have so much snow by the end of winter, that I'll never want to see snow again I don't think that's possible. John is such a nice man, I'm glad he's our neighbor.

December 14
    Snow, lovely snow! 8 inches last night. The temperature dropped to -20. The cold makes everything sparkle so. The wind took my breath away, but I warmed up by shoveling the driveway and sidewalks. This is the life! The snowplow came back this afternoon and buried everything again. I didn't realize I would have to do quite this much shoveling, but I'll certainly get back in shape this way. I wish l wouldn't huff and puff so.

December 15
    20 inches forecast. Sold my van and bought a 4x4 Blazer. Bought snow tires for the wife's car and 2 extra shovels. Stocked the freezer. The wife wants a wood stove in case the electricity goes out. I think that's silly. We aren't in Alaska, after all.

December 16
    Ice storm this morning. Fell on my ass on the ice in the driveway putting down salt. Hurt like hell. The wife laughed for an hour, which I think was very cruel.

December 17
    Still way below freezing. Roads are too icy to go anywhere. Electricity was off for 5 hours. I had to pile the blankets on to stay warm. Nothing to do but stare at the wife and try not to irritate her. Guess I should've bought a wood stove, but won't admit it to her. God I hate it when she's right. I can't believe I'm freezing to death in my own living room.

December 20
    Electricity's back on, but had another 14 inches of the damn stuff last night. More shoveling! Took all day. The damn snowplow came by twice. Tried to find a neighbor kid to shovel, but they said they're too busy playing hockey. I think they're lying. Called the only hardware store around to see about buying a snow blower and they're out. Might have another shipment in March. I think they're lying. John says I have to shovel or the city will have it done and bill me.
    I think he's lying.

December 22
    John was right about a white Christmas because 13 more inches of the white sh-t fell today, and it's so cold, it probably won't melt till August. Took me 45 minutes to get all dressed up to go out to shovel and then I had to go pee. By the time I got undressed, went to the bathroom and dressed again, I was too tired to shovel.
    Tried to hire John who has a plow on his truck for the rest of the winter, but he says he's too busy. I think the a--hole is lying.

December 23
    Only 2 inches of snow today And it warmed up to 0. The wife wanted me to decorate the front of the house this morning. What is she, nuts?!! Why didn't she tell me to do that a month ago? She says she did but I think she's lying.

December 24
    6 inches - Snow packed so hard by snowplow, l broke the shovel. Thought I was having a heart attack. If I ever catch the son of a b-tch who drives that snow plow, I'll drag him through the snow and beat him to death with my broken shovel. I know he hides around the corner and waits for me to finish shoveling and then he comes down the street at a 100 miles an hour and throws snow all over where I've just been! Tonight the wife wanted me to sing Christmas carols with her and open our presents, but I was too busy watching for the damn snowplow.

December 25
    Merry freaking Christmas! 20 more inches of the damn slop tonight -Snowed in. The idea of shoveling makes my blood boil. God, I hate the snow! Then the snowplow driver came by asking for a donation and I hit him over the head with my shovel. The wife says I have a bad attitude. I think she's an idiot. If I have to watch "It's A Wonderful Life" one more time, I'm going to stuff her into the microwave.

December 26
    Still snowed in. Why the hell did I ever move here? It was all HER idea. She's really getting on my nerves.

December 27
    Temperature dropped to -30 and the pipes froze; plumber came after 14 hours of waiting for him, he only charged me $1,400 to replace all my pipes.

December 28
    Warmed up to above -20. Still snowed in. My wife is driving me crazy!!!

December 29
    10 more inches. John says I have to shovel the roof or it could cave in. That's the silliest thing I ever heard. How dumb does he think I am?

December 30
    Roof caved in. I beat up the snow plow driver, and now he is suing me for a million dollars. The wife went home to her mother. Nine more inches predicted.

December 31
    I set fire to what's left of the house. No more shoveling.

January 8
    Feel so good. I just love those little white pills they keep giving me. Why am I tied to the bed?

28. CBone

CBone iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    So, this is the lake effect we hear so much about

Old&InTheWay, Mikie, herzalot and 2 others like this.
  29. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    The lake is about 13 miles wide where I lived. You could watch fast moving storms form over it... In the summer and winter. Pretty cool, but it didn't allow for much warning. Probably one of the reasons that there are a couple thousand shipwrecks lying on the bottom.

And for extra credit, they built an open air football stadium that faces the lake... :laugh:

Mikie, herzalot and CBone like this.
  30. Rumpled

Rumpled Well-Known Member

Name:
    Jim Martin
    Current Bike:
    2018 Specialized Epic Carbon C
    $1400 to repipe a house?
    Where is that plumber? I need to hire him.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?