The Utah Parks, Spring 2018 “Fun Hog Tour”

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by levity, Jun 1, 2018.

1. levity

levity Member

Name:
    Larry
    Current Bike:
    Stumpies (+/- e)
    Mrs levity and I make regular pilgrimages to Utah in May and September for spring and/or fall biking/bikepacking, hiking/backpacking, canyoneering, river SUP camping adventures, and just enjoying the outdoors. The hard part is deciding which activities to focus on. This winter we had taken a leap of faith and bought (gasp!) e-bikes: Specialized Levo mountain bikes and Vado road bikes. Originally intended for desert sand (Levos) or"leisurely" recovery rides (Vados), they turned out to be much more fun than we could have imagined.

When it came time to plan our '18 May trip to Utah decisions had to be made - what do we want to do and which bike(s) do we take? We decided to make it a 4 week trip stopping at several Natl and State Parks and to go all-in on biking taking our regular bikes (Stumpjumpers) and both e-bikes. It was time to hitch up the Yakima trailer and add more racks!

I was concerned that with six bikes it would be more hassle than fun, but things went smoothly once we got it all set up. We visited Zion, Bryce, Kodachrome, Capitol Reef, Goblin Valley, Dead Horse Point and Canyonlands. It was fantastic! Other than 2 storms we were able to ride 24 of 26 days, including all travel days in Utah, and sometimes twice a day. Because there doesn’t seem to be much luv for pedal-assist bikes on this forum, I’ll only show pics from some of our Goo-powered Stumpjumper rides.

First stop - Zion. Here’s our site in Watchman Campground, cluttered, but nice views.

W1.jpg

It rained a couple of days after we arrived, but we were able to get in some fun hikes in the canyon.

Z1.jpg

Here’s a shot from a nicer day after we rode up Kolob Terrace Road and hiked out to the Northgate overlook

Z1b.jpg

The Wire Mesa trail is nearby above Rockville and Grafton and affords great views back toward the park

Z2b.jpg

The JEM trail system near Virgin also combines good fun and views

Z3.jpg

Z4.jpg

The main road up Zion Canyon is paved but the scenery is gorgeous. Can you make out the climbers on the wall near the center of the pic? (looks like they’re on Ceberus Gendarme, but I’m not sure which route)

Z5.jpg

About half of our time was spent in Moab/Canyonlands area. Camping in Dead Horse Point State Park gave us quick access to the Intrepid, Horsethief, Navajo Rocks and Mag 7 trail systems. There were super views of the Colorado River and side canyons from overlooks along the Intrepid trails:

M1.jpg

M2.jpg

Some pics from playful sections along the Chisolm and Escape trails:

M3.jpg

M4.jpg

The Big Mesa was aptly named:

M5.jpg

Ramblin’ had lots of fun slickrock and gaves views of Monitor and Merrimac Buttes and the 7 Mile Rim area we’d ride later:

M6.jpg

2. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    It's southwestern Utah. Well, yeah! Outstanding RRs and pics.

levity and Mikie like this.
  3. siata94

siata94 Member

Name:
    siata
    Current Bike:
    lazy goat
    Amazing!!!

levity, Poofighter and Mikie like this.
  4. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Yeti ASR5c, SC Hightower
    I would love to move to Utah!

levity, Stkx66, pperrelle and 2 others like this.
  5. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Pick one, got a few
    Moab... just sayin:thumbsup:

levity, pperrelle and Poofighter like this.
  6. Poofighter

Poofighter Member

Name:
    Noel
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Shortboy
    You have a great eye for pics and are always a joy to view. Thank you for posting.

7. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    Thank you for your consideration of your audience. Great photos and awesome adventure!

(See? Six responses and no mention of the.... ____ bikes).

levity and kioti like this.
  8. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    Amazing as always... I think you'd get a pass if you posted a few of those "other" photos.

levity likes this.
  9. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara Well-Known Member

Name:
    Sara Ford
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    Vacation perfection! I need to show the hubby, maybe he’ll be inspired:thumbsup:

levity and Faust29 like this.
  10. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    Search the forum for their other adventures... Worth looking through.

levity and mountaingirl sara like this.
  11. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara Well-Known Member

Name:
    Sara Ford
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    Genius! Thanks:)

levity likes this.
  12. mike

mike iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Smash
    Righteous!!! @levity, you always harvest the plums...and kick ass with the reportage. Way to lead...TFPU!

levity likes this.
  13. levity

levity Member

Name:
    Larry
    Current Bike:
    Stumpies (+/- e)
    Hey, thanks for the kind and generous comments. I certainly enjoy RRs by others here and like to share ours.

We're on another trip now (Tahoe, Bend), but I'll dig thru the Utah pics when we return. I'm sure I can find some "other photos" (@Faust29) that discretely emphasize scenery and landscape rather than bikes.

mike, Poofighter and Faust29 like this.