The thousand sit-up challenge!

Discussion in 'Free Zone' started by BonsaiNut, Apr 12, 2021.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    So I'm trying something a little different this summer.

Back when I was in the Army, one of my buddies used to box for our unit. I only bring this up because many times when he would swing by my room to say hi he would lay down on the floor and do some sit-ups while we were talking. He did this because he made a point of knocking out 600 sit-ups every day.

I was thinking about it the other day when I realized how weak my core had become. So yesterday I did 10 sit-ups. Today I did 20. I'm going to increase the count by 10 each day to see how far I get... but my goal is to do it 100 days and make it up to the final day of 1000. Of course by the time I get to 200 or so, it should be pretty easy just to keep climbing the reps.

Anyone with me? :)

JordanHMay, ~JB~, mike and 6 others like this.
  2. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
  3. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I used to do 50 before bed every night- along with 25 inverted pushups... I stopped after the Kokopelli crash and never got back to it... :thumbsdown:

4. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    When I was in Basic and Advanced Infantry Training, they used to require you to do 10 push-ups every time you entered or left the barracks. By the time I got to Airborne School, it became 20 reps each time in or out. It adds up... morning formation, 40 push-ups; breakfast, 40 push-ups; training, 40 push-ups; lunch, 40 push-ups... etc. I don't even know how many I would do a day. Takes less than 15 seconds to do 20 good push-ups, so the point is to make sure you are always doing them :)

5. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    I joined the army at 18. I could do 20 push-ups, 20 sit-ups and almost one pull-up. Two months in I was doing 60 push-ups, 50 sit-ups and 30 pull-ups. I could actually climb the rope with upper body strength only. I wish I could motivate myself into doing more core exercises. I doubt I could ever be in that kind of shape again but I know it would help tremendously.

6. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    I think I have better endurance now... but nowhere near the short sprint / anaerobic capacity. I know that back then I wasn't going out for four hour bike rides :)

7. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Any way that one can stay motivated is good! Numbers games can be fun.

I used to like situps. Three months after my appendectomy I broke my junior high record for situps in a minute with 66. Steep/overhanging climbing gives some thorough core exercising. Mostly because it's fun, and you don't realize the damage you're doing to your finger pulleys, rotator cuffs and elbow tendons... Moderation.

Spine condition not favorable for joining you, but I applaude your initiative and will likewise cheer for anyone making the effort!

herzalot, Danmtchl and BonsaiNut like this.
  8. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    I hit a thousand situps years ago. :rolleyes:

Oh, wait you mean at one go.....

Used to do 100/minute back when PE was a thing. Nowadays I just ride my bike instead.:thumbsup:

9. HBkites

HBkites Well-Known Member

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    Why S7, Revel Rascal, Spark RC
    IMO the slower you do the push up and sit-up the more effective then are.
    Slow down and focus on form do 10 -6 pushup (or sit-up) per a minute, and you will realized that by slowing down the descent you are substantially increasing the difficulty of each rep.

(FYI - I'm not the guy in the clip ;-) )

10. Derkderkall

Derkderkall iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
    Yup,
    Or when you are down low in the pushup, hover there going up down an inch or so....

HBkites, herzalot and Danmtchl like this.
  11. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    LOL scissorman.

@HBkites, sounds like some real torture. And my wrists went numb just looking at the guy!

Power to you shining examples of athleticism. I got too many hard miles and mishaps...why do ya think I roll around on an inline wheelchair?

12. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    They used that as a punishment in boot camp....nose three inches from the floor, and hold it. For 5 minutes. :sick::eek:

BonsaiNut, Derkderkall and herzalot like this.
  13. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    There are many "core" exercises one can and should do, not limiting it to sit ups. Variety is refreshing and you can try to get more than just one part of the core.

BonsaiNut and herzalot like this.
  14. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Trust me, I'm not trying to suggest this is a perfect core workout. Rather it is easy to do... easy to remember... and that means it just might happen. Too often I see people create the "ultimate" workout, but the moment it requires you to use equipment or step one foot out of your house, the participation rate plummets.

If you used to be able to do 100 good clean military sit-ups in 3 minutes, that means by the end of this challenge you will be doing 30 minutes of fast sit-ups every day. That's a LOT of high intensity sit-ups, I don't care who you are :)

scan and UPSed like this.
  15. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    Bingo!
    I teach/practice high plank, knee to nose 100x
    Prone core workout is better for me as I tend to rely my hip flexors too much for sit-ups/ boat pose.

HBkites likes this.
  16. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Much harder to do sit-ups if you place feet flat on floor and don't tuck them under anything, and feet can't leave the floor during exercise. Also, hands to either side of head - but not touching head and not interlocked behind the head. Then, smooth controlled motion up, stop, controlled motion down, stop.

Not telling you anything you don't know, but just like push-ups, the difference between a good sit-up and a bad one makes a huge difference in getting the most out of the exercise.

herzalot, HBkites and scan like this.
  17. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    Great topic! IMO a strong core can eliminate or at least improve a multitude of ailments.
    Especially low back related.
    Hello @mtnbikej ;)

herzalot, BonsaiNut, HBkites and 3 others like this.
  18. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Yeah, Jennifer tells me I should stretch after every ride. I go for the beer instead. :whistling:

19. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    Welp, that may help with blood flow so....whatever :D

UPSed likes this.
  20. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Today is 50 day... much harder to join once we get past this point :)

My sister is doing it, and my local biking bud. I'll let you knock when I can strike a match off my abs :)

mike likes this.
  21. H2oChick

H2oChick Well-Known Member

Name:
    K-Oss
    Funny, I stumbled on this thread while doing my routine core/sit ups.
    I’ll never get to 1000 and I’ll never have abs like Halle Berry, but as long as I’m on the floor doing crunches, sit ups and get to pet the dog I’m good with that.

DB855252-EE3D-4D9C-A715-A09B524F2F55.jpeg

herzalot, mtnbikej, Danimal and 2 others like this.