The Negative Side of Ebikes

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mtnbikej, Sep 5, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    I saw this on the other site......yes, it could very well have been a non ebike, but from the sounds of it, an ebike made it possible for this unable rider to go someplace bikes aren't allowed:

"From camping area at Horseshoe Meadow, Caramel and I go as far as it is passable on Trail Pass Trail with my fat-tire electric bike while my dog takes squirrel breaks. Video has background drone views and zoom views of the rare and beautiful state fish in the Golden Trout Wilderness. For 4K resolution, go to YOUTUBE PAUL EMUS."

And his response to some criticizm.

"...my rant in another group: National Forest is not National Park. And at least my bike doesn’t leave piles of horse poop. I have a little osteoarthritis, and I need my “mobility vehicle.” A Highway Patrolman saw me coming off the trail with my bike. I didn’t get any complaints along the trail. Regs may be just kept in the “back pocket” in case of big complaint. Some people can’t think out of the box. I don’t want to get into a negative argument, but I’m all for healthy discussion. I think the “no bicycles” is more of a warning because of the rocky conditions. I’m not a noisy dirt bike. My impact is not unreasonable. Why don’t people complain about the far more damaging horses, cattle grazing, and fishermen? Many city and county parks welcome drones for the publicity. Switzerland is very drone friendly because they like to show the beauty of their country. National and State Parks are unreasonable for banning this new form of photography. They just want “CYA — cover your ass.” People wanted to outlaw horseless carriages. I’ve talked to rangers, and they don’t care about National Forest (not National PARK) as long as you are not near an air strip. If anything, my videos promote appreciation and preservation of the area. Rules are made to keep us on safer side. Then comes the people who are interested in taking risk by going beyond certain rules and excel in the field. So rules are meant to be broken for the people who have guts to break them and achieve what they desire, unlike others, who live a normal life following a certain set of rules throughout the life. “If you follow the rules, it will lead you where other want you to reach. If you break the rules, you will reach your own created destiny.” It means that rules stifle creativity and progress, so it is important to break the occasional rule in service to those efforts. It does not mean that all rules should be wantonly abandoned for the sake of fun. There is what is known as “de juris” and “de facto.” So, in reality, if I get a ticket, it’s worth it to pay it"

So, for those that don't know where this is. This trailhead is at over 10K' and takes you into the Cottonwood Lakes Basin in the Sierra, then on to the Golden Trout Wilderness. You can access Mt. Whitney from this trail and beat the crowds going up the front. FB group Eastern Sierra & Scenic 395

konakc, mike, Mikie and 10 others like this.
  2. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    He obviously knows it's illegal and doesn't care. Paying any fine he may get is worth it in his eyes .

So I guess if I destroy his ebike 20 Miles from the trail head and he can't walk out, it's ok as long as long as I'm good with the fine. But hey, it's only illegal if I get caught.

mike, Mikie, Faust29 and 10 others like this.
  3. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    Aren’t there plenty of legal trails he can ride on that ebike thing?! Maybe I’m not one to talk, as I regurlarly
    ride a trail that bikes aren’t allowed on, but there’s a very small handful of us locals up here who use it and we absolutely stay off of it during thru hiking season because we respect the hikers, nature and the trail. In fact we help to maintain it in the off season. If there was ever a problem with erosion or destruction we would all quit riding the trail in a heartbeat!

4. Dirtrider....

Dirtrider.... Well-Known Member

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Its sad to see the arrogance of people these days who break laws and just laugh at those who abide by them. I see Emtn bikes almost every time I ride in the OC parks. I asked a pair of riders on ebikes in Santiago Oaks last week what will they do when the rangers or LEO actually begin cracking down on them... they just shrugged and said they'll deal with that when it happens. I really hate giving the naysayers more ammo against mountain bikers. just sheds a negative light on all of us.

I see the appeal to use ebikes and can appreciate that... but if its a law that says you cannot ride them on trails in certain parks, then spend your time getting the law changed instead of just breaking the law.

5. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I gave it a thumbs down, commented, and flagged it and reported it to YouTube as recorded illegal application of operating a motorized vehicle in a non motorized area.

I suggest you do the same.

6. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Per the other site:

"Forwarded link to Inyo National Forest."

"Matter has been turned over to law enforcement per contact at Inyo N.F."

7. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    I'm confused because he switches from bikes to drones. Which is he complaining about? Which is he using to violate the law? Maybe both, I guess.

This all seems to be about drones:
    Many city and county parks welcome drones for the publicity. Switzerland is very drone friendly because they like to show the beauty of their country. National and State Parks are unreasonable for banning this new form of photography. They just want “CYA — cover your ass.” People wanted to outlaw horseless carriages. I’ve talked to rangers, and they don’t care about National Forest (not National PARK) as long as you are not near an air strip. If anything, my videos promote appreciation and preservation of the area.

8. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I just took a gander at his Facebook... It's enlightening, to say the least. I did feel the need to leave him a little critique, though. He was not taking criticism of his drone well from other trail users, so I added:

Paul Emus- Your arrogance and disregard for the law is beyond astounding.

https://www.facebook.com/paul.emus1

9. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    The world is going mad. People are sick of be led by crooked, dishonest, self-serving leaders. Hypocrisy has become the most common human trait. People are tempted to see what they can get away with. The DAILY high speed police pursuits and the DAILY hit and run reports on the news are proof of this. I hate to sound negative but I think that we all know this deep inside and I have no idea what we can do to change the tide. There will always be hope, though.

10. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Reading farther down, his wife is a few sandwiches short of a picnic, as well... They are both nuts.

11. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    Well... you can only control you. I try to operate by the maxim "treat others as you would want to be treated".

I admit to one major violation: I often run or bike with a dog off leash. In over 20 years of doing so I have never had a problem. However I do NOT take my dogs anywhere dogs are not allowed (for example Aliso Creek / Wood Canyon).

So that's my official "mea culpa". But otherwise I think I am pretty squeaky clean. I don't cheat on my wife. I don't cheat on my taxes. I don't steal. I have found money and credit cards and wallets lying on the ground - and I either call the person to return their property, or turn it in to lost and found :) I found a camera on Harding Truck Trail a few years ago... and by looking at the photos and with the help of social media, we actually found the owner (a hiker)!

It allows me to sleep at night with a clear conscience.

12. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
  13. CalEpic

CalEpic Member

Name:
    Craig

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?