The Good News Thread!

Discussion in 'Free Zone' started by Derkderkall, Oct 23, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    I think your doc jumped the gun, personally. Running is high impact. Clearly there is still some sensitive soft tissue in there that isn't ready for that. Perhaps pedaling in a standing position (low impact) as much as possible would have been a better way to progress to the next step.

Heck, Sara, this may be a perfect time for you to become a singlespeeder. You could hang out with the big boys.

Faust29, Danmtchl, mike and 1 other person like this.
  2. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    Thanks guys. It’s settled that running may be quite a ways off..gotta say tho, I’ve been running for more than 20 yrs, the idea of not running does not compute. A man stopped me yesterday and asked about my knee brace, turns out he’s a Podiatrist, he asked what kind of running shoes I wear(minimalist), he suggested Hokas:gag::sick:, but if that’s what it takes I’ll do it.
    SS may be fun, anyone have a junker to loan me:whistling:
    :inlove:Thanks for the kind words fellas

3. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    I thought Single Speeds were notoriously hard on the knees? I know my knees hurt like hell whenever I try to push too big a gear up a hill.

4. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    SS may be a few months away, but I like the idea of diggin’ in when it’s time:thumbsup:

5. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Not as hard as direct contact with the ground. Tires supply a surprising amount of cushion and that it why cycling is considered low impact.

6. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    I have a friend who has ran several ultras and he loves his Hokas. Jennifer recently picked up a pair and is getting used to them. Best of luck on your rerecovery. :)

7. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    Yeah, for the Leona Divide 50mi Race, those Hokas are everywhere! Thanks much Ed! :)

8. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    I think if the running happens on a uniform and padded surface, it's not a bad thing to do or to ease into. But trail running, every step a potential issue, I would put that well down the line and see how it goes. The inline wheelchair is your friend, Sar, ready to help you have fun and fitness while giving the pegs a break. :geek: Demand a new bike to mix it up and keep your interest piqued? Cheaper than healthcare in the long run...

I'm a living testament to a full outdoor life after running. Don't let changes – even big ones – intimidate. There's always a new, fun challenge somewhere/somehow. I'll repeat: Always. It's purely mental. Embrace the idea that capabilities diminish in time. I used to think the athletes pushing the edge were the naz. Now I'm far more inspired by someone doing a lot under limitations, on any level. These badasses are everywhere, including all over this forum.

Loudly into the night we go! :sneaky::thumbsup:

9. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    “You don’t quit running because you get old, you get old because you quit running” (Mc Dougall) I suppose one could insert any discipline in there:thumbsup:. I completely agree with you Mike, if an athlete(or anyone for that matter, artist, teacher etc) can’t do their thing...find another!!! Just don’t quit! Thanks for the inspo, you always have a good perspective :thumbsup:
    I’ll hit the trainer for a bit and see what the knee has to say about it.
    We will heal, and we will RAGE!!!

10. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Hilarious... all I can say is proper recovery is key and its a balance between Active Recovery and going to early... many of us on this forum have a gene that wants us to go early... but in the end... that just elongates the process.

I gave up running... 1000s of B-Ball game on hard courts, crappy shoes, Tennis, Many Many Running Miles, Tris, Marathons etc.. etc.. I *loved* running, best bang for the buck for workout and endorphins, I had decent form but not great, I was not a natural... but alas those days are done (I have worn out the knuckle of my big toe... knees used to sound like gravel pits they have actually have gotten better even with a complex Meniscus tear) ... its why I cycle... I want those part to last in to my 90s.. (or be in good shape to replace)

My doc... who keeps me moving finally said .... "Steve Running is no longer for fun and exercise... now it is merely to escape danger".... :)

11. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    Welp, all that physical stuff is better than deteriorating on our sofas right!? Sorry you can’t run, but glad you get to use two wheels!!! Here’s to moderation in the future :thumbsup::whistling:

12. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Amen "Movement is Life"

Or one of my favorite other sayings from Indiana Jones....

"It's not the years honey...it's the mileage
    "

yeah I was never a natural I look at some of my gazelle friends and you can't even hear them run other than them breathing there so smooth me I sounded like clop clop clop... :)

13. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    SS is hard on your knees if technique is poor. Sitting and trying to grind out steep/big climbs on too hard of a gear will tear your knees up. This has been the only time my knees have acted up.....and even then, it's been few and far between.

14. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I thought the same thing when I "tried" it... But you're in a stronger and more stable position standing than sitting on your butt. Even though I've been running gears the last couple months, when I start to feel it on a climb, I go 2 or 3 cogs harder and stand. Everything slows down, and you focus on breathing, control, and momentum. It's much more zen, and a lot less hamster on crack.

15. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    Lol, “hamster on crack”!! That’s what I feel like when my roadie friends tell me to spin more..it’s such a foreign concept!

mtnbikej, Faust29, Danmtchl and 4 others like this.
  16. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    That makes perfect sense, it’s pretty easy to tell when you’re trashing your knees. I think it would be an awesome way to get back into dirt riding, but we’ll see when the time comes.

mtnbikej, Faust29, Danmtchl and 2 others like this.
  17. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Funny, I always referred to my friend's super fast cadence as "caffeinated hamster." Same ball park. He would spin 100 gleefully. Not my comfort zone at all. I'm more of a 60-70 kind of cadence.

I totally agree that standing and riding up a hill is TONS easier on the knees, and does require a few clicks higher on the gears. Seated climbing in a hard gear is murder on the knees and back.

18. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    I'm not a singlespeeder, but it's my riding style. I can't - simply cannot - sit and spin the pedals for hours on end. I have to drop a few gears and stand every now and then (I also do this on the road bike). To me it's just natural.

19. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    Ditto that^^^

mtnbikej, Faust29 and mike like this.
  20. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    I used to stand in my younger days but that was before I broke my femur, tore my meniscus (never recovered), ACL, MCL and LCL on the same dirt bike crash in 2009. Nowadays I sit and spin along at a nice comfy pace; definitely not a spinning hamster. I rode up San Juan to Cocktail Rock today and only stood up a few times to get my a$$ off the seat for a few brief seconds. I'm pretty much 30 minutes slower than I used to be in my younger days of doing this same ride on a 22 lb Trek Fuel.

DangerDirtyD, bvader, UPSed and 7 others like this.
  21. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    I assume you’re done with dirt bikes?!

DangerDirtyD, mike and mtbMike like this.
  22. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Yeah but only because I got tired of having to drive countless hours to get somewhere legal to ride. I rode for a couple years after recovering, even started going to MX tracks but the that "passion" flamed out when my kids left for college. Once I move to AZ full time, I'll be getting a Polaris RAZR to explore around. As with many things, they have soooooooo much more freedom over there.

23. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Before much longer, those things will outnumber regular vehicles in the state. The dust storms caused by them in Havasu on weekends rivals Haboobs. IMO, that is not good news! :eek:

24. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    I only see about 3-5 per weekend in Prescott. I think the demographics are too "old" for them to take off up there.

mike and mountaingirl sara like this.
  25. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Agreed

26. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    Very sorry to hear, but thank you for posting. Gives me valuable perspective, as I find myself in the similarly precarious position of some substantial progress lately making me feel like I can do more than I can probably safely do.

27. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
  28. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    It’s hard to know sometimes, but yeah..erring on the side of caution is a smart move!
    Take it easy and heal completely!!:thumbsup:

mike likes this.
  29. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Why are you up so early?

30. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?