The "Epicness" of Epics: Today on Golden Eagle

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by Mikie, Apr 5, 2015.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower/Yeti 5C
    Chapter 1
    If you are awaiting the talk of shredding, the "amazing trail", the long grinding climb, the countrified "goodness", the steep and chunky, the fast and flowy . . .
    This is the wrong ride report for you today.

I'm here to talk about the people that make any day on the trail . . . . . Epic.

Epic today is riding with UPSed who was in the hospital just last week with his awesome fiancee, both from a vehicle crash that totaled their vehicle on the way to Keyesville, that could have totaled our lives from the potential loss of our brother and sister in MTB, but didn't. He was at Golden Eagle today and we got to reunite in a ride of Epicness... (A fast and speedy recovery to Jennifer, who we all love so much so that she can be back on the trails with us).

Epicness was upon us when Bluesrider, our buddy Todd, picked up UPSed and brought a vehicle to the day's ride that could haul all the stuff that was in the totaled Titan I had housed at my place until Ed and Jennifer were on their feet.

Epic today is rossage driving over from Alhambra to spend a day riding with me because he feels so bad that he had to bail out of going to Kokopelli due to justifiable family issues overseas. But he brought me himself, (and seven bottles of Sierra Nevada) that we could rejoice a day on Golden Eagle and toast to it afterwards in a day of Epicness...

Epic today was finally getting to ride with KTMTOM who's commitment to his career is admirable, and has been preventing us from riding together, and that Mountain Biking has brought us together even though we knew each other and our lives had crossed when I remodeled his home years ago in Frazier Park made today a day of Epicness...(oh by the way, he was killing it on the climbs :? )

Today was Epicness when I finally got to share Golden Eagle with Eric Zacher who I have been trying to share this ride with for months on end, even to the point of last weekend heading up the trail, getting a flat myself and having to turn around because I forgot a spare (idiot! :roll: ) and having him come and get me and haul my sorry azz back to the trailhead. That made today, a day of Epicness...

It was Epic that I finally was able to get my good buddy Dan Mitchell up from Bakersfield to ride GE and to meet some others of the imtbtrails brotherhood and share a trail with him I've been bragging about for so long... That made today feel like Epicness...

...And how about this!

To FINALLY get to meet Lynn Luckoff, STJunkie (Scott), and Pain Freak (Mike) both of these guys from the early days of STR; and the LEGENDARY dstepper (Dean) of Mountain Bike Bill fame and probably every Mountain Bike Forum on the planet! I felt like a kid in a candy store!

Trails of dirt that run through all the mountains in all the areas we ride is good stuff. But what makes a trail . . . Epic, is the people we ride it with...

Oh! And we rode another perfect day of Golden Eagle... :D
    IMG-20150404-03146.jpg IMG-20150404-03144.jpg IMG-20150404-03143.jpg IMG-20150404-03142.jpg IMG-20150404-03141.jpg IMG-20150404-03140.jpg IMG-20150404-03139.jpg IMG-20150404-03138.jpg IMG-20150404-03137.jpg IMG-20150404-03136.jpg IMG-20150404-03135.jpg IMG-20150404-03134.jpg IMG-20150404-03133.jpg IMG-20150404-03132.jpg IMG-20150404-03131.jpg IMG-20150404-03130.jpg IMG-20150404-03129.jpg IMG-20150404-03128.jpg IMG-20150404-03127.jpg IMG-20150404-03126.jpg IMG-20150404-03145.jpg

Yes . . . another day of perfect weather, perfect trail, and most importantly . . . perfect MTB friends...
    For me, today... was another Epic day of Mountain Biking not because of the trail I rode, but because of the company I got to keep.

Bike On!

bvader, UPSed and Runs with Scissors like this.
  2. dstepper

dstepper Member

Name:
    Dean Stepper
    Current Bike:
    2014 Turner Czar
    Excellent meeting you Mike. Also good to see some folks I had not seen for awhile like Todd, Ross, and Ed. There would have only been a couple of places where are paths would have crossed and I am thankful it happened. I do get out that way often and had forgot what a long downhill GE is.

Dean

3. Danmtchl

Danmtchl Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2015 Devinci Troy Carbon 27.5
    The climb got me , but I enjoyed the ride. Thanks again

4. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Unforgettable day on GE.It was an mtb love fest and full of bad jokes and even worse humor-I loved it.
    Oh yeah Mikie-STJUnkie's name is Scott, not Paul! Doh! :eek:

5. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Re: The "Epicness" of Epics: Today on Golden Eagle

Wow! Just when you think Mikie has written an epic ride report he writes another one and knocks it out of the park! It truly was a good day. At one point on the climb we had regrouped about halfway up. I was standing about 10 feet from Mikie where he was sitting on his MTB leaning over the bars. I walked over to give him a hug and tell him how thankful I was for all he did for Jennifer and myself in our time of need. I immediately broke down into tears and realized how great it was to have such a wonderful friend and be able to be on such an epic ride with a great group of people a week after my accident.

Very nice to meet Tom, Eric and Dan. Nice to see Dean and crew after so many years.

Looking forward to the inaugural imtbtrails So Cal chapter ride. Hopefully there will be at least 50 in attendance!

Thanks again Mikie for all your help and Todd for helping me retrieve our belongings.

6. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, blue one, black one
    Mikie my friend, while I may not make them all, you can bet I'll be on many more of these rides. I'm starting to realize that working every Saturday is way overrated and I need to get my priorities straight.

7. Bluesrider

Bluesrider Member

Name:
    Todd
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Nomad cc
    What a fantastic ride out there. Way to many years have passed since I rode GE trail, thats gonna stop. Great ride with some good folks and good to see some olds friends

8. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Tracer and/or Who Knows?
    Jealous - but I have no one but myself to blame for not joining this ride. I did ride with a friend from Vancouver yesterday, and she would not have joined a GE ride.

Great ride report and you hit the nail on the head. It's about the people...

(OK that and the quality of the downhills)

Your group was just the right size. Much bigger than 7 people and you don't get time to talk with everyone, and the progress of the ride is always lengthened by the number of people in the group.

Thanks for letting me sort of re-live your ride through your rr. I get a sense of the emotion that was involved. Call it sappy - I call it life worth living. :thumbup:

9. erjzacher

erjzacher Member

Name:
    Eric Zacher
    Current Bike:
    2015 Intense Tracer DVO
    Mike I can't thank you enough for sharing this ride with me. It was an epic ride and a new trail that I hope to ride many more times. I must also thank you for introducing me to all those awesome mountain bikers that I hope to see on the trails again. And I need to thank you one more time for using your connections and getting me that awesome loaner bike from The Squeeky Wheel Bike Shop in Palmdale. It has changed my opinion on 29ers.

10. driffter33

driffter33 Member

Name:
    Warren Hornaday
    Current Bike:
    2013 Giant Anthem X 29er

What a cast of characters! As always great RR.
    But tell me more about this So cal chapter ride!!!! [emoji102] [emoji2]

11. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO

I was just throwing it out there hoping Mikie would bite! Hopefully sometime this year.

12. driffter33

driffter33 Member

Name:
    Warren Hornaday
    Current Bike:
    2013 Giant Anthem X 29er

Maybe he will bite if we ride Santiago Oaks with a post ride gathering at the Tustin Brewery. Or Whiting/Luge with a detour to Cooks Corner. Or Cooks/Old Coamp/Luge/Cooks. Or maybe it will take the Epicness of a Fullyloop ride followed buy a stop at Roscos or Hero's. [emoji39] Are you out there Mikie? [emoji350] [emoji482] [emoji344]

13. sheclimbs

sheclimbs Newbie

Name:
    Lynn
    Nice to meet you Mikey. That was a beautiful day to ride Golden Eagle. I was riding with my core OG crowd. I don't think anyone knows me by name but maybe my screen name. I've been riding with Steppie, Painfreak,and STJunkike for many years. It's a rare treat when I get to ride with them all together and amazingly on a trail that we hadn't ridden befofe. Hope to get back up there before things heat up too much. See you all on the trails sometime soon.

Poofighter likes this.
  14. erjzacher

erjzacher Member

Name:
    Eric Zacher
    Current Bike:
    2015 Intense Tracer DVO
    If there really is an inaugural imtbtrails ride? If there is I am definitely down for that ride wherever it is...

15. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    Pic Slot/Time Machine strikes again!!! Great to read these again.

There was an inaugural imtbtrails ride......And I got to go on it.:cool:

Faust29, DangerDirtyD and UPSed like this.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?