The "Combined" Poison Oak Thread :-)

Discussion in 'Health' started by Mikie, Jun 15, 2016.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    :thumbsup:

2. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, black one, Ti one
    What, I was wondering why I didn’t see a Wednesday workout on strava. Your right there was lots of poodle dog. We didn’t trudge through it and it didn’t look like it’s normal pretty flowery self so I never thought twice about it. I’m pretty sure I’m immune to it and PO and could probably eat the stuff for lunch after some of the riding we’ve done where there was absolutely no way to avoid it. I agree with RWS though, BEER is always the answer. Hope it clears up soon.

3. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    In just the matter of a couple of hours the back of my leg looks like it is wrapped in bubble wrap. I don't think it's poodle dog. I didn't make contact with it. I think it's something local from a ride I did the Monday before last. Anyways I put some Ivarest on it and I am two beers in.
    20190404_173127(1).jpg

4. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    The problem with poisonous plants is that unknowing victims rub through the plant and then transfer the oils onto other plants where they can be transfered on to you. Call it second hamd contamination. So, you think you are being safe by not rubbing on the bad plants but you end up getting contaminated by other plants that the oils have been transfered to.

And yes, some are not as reactive, if at all, to these plants as others.

So far this year I seem to be less reactive but I think that the fact that I take a daily antihistimine plays a role in that.

5. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    @UPSed, after a closer look, I think your rash is more likely poison oak. I hope that’s all it is.

I dip in the ocean has killed it off fast for me in the past as well. Dunno what it is about seawater that did it, though but it has worked on more than one occasion.

6. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

And your bike.

7. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I let mine (poison oak) go too long two summers ago and ended up on steroids for a month to clear it from my system.

If it gets any worse, I’d go see a dermatologist. Mine gave me a boatload of steroid cream for future issues... i now use it after any prolonged mustard encounter.

8. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    Because remember....you said you were immune to it. Which is good, until you are not.

9. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    40 years and I hadn't had it! I even rolled around in the damn stuff... @hewhodoesntdoforums jinxed me! :cautious:

10. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Mustard?

11. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    Like PO....Mustard is a weed.

12. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Well the Monday before last I was rolling around in it. I know it's a weed but does it have the same oil as PO?

13. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Yes... Many are allergic to the plant. It's nowhere near as severe a reaction as poison oak, but I break out and get a mild itch after contact. This year is going to be bad.

14. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    It is NOT too late to scrub. You can even scrub several days after contact. If you don't get the oil off, it will continue to get worse and may even spread.

Best thing I have found is to wash the area very thoroughly a couple of times with a degreaser like Fast Orange or GoJo, then take a hot shower.

fast-orange.jpg

15. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    You are allergic to mustard?! Perhaps you ought to give up outdoor sports? :rolleyes:

@UPSed, I highly doubt your rash was caused by mustard plants.

16. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    No... His wasn’t caused by mustard most likely, but the cause is largely irrelevant for treatment. The dermatologist spent all of 3 seconds wondering what caused mine, but he cured it with the same methods that cover all allergic reactions.

If it gets worse, get off the forum and see a dermatologist...

17. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Another common tree (invasive noxious weed) that people don't know causes similar skin reactions:

Brazilian Pepper Tree (which is closely related to poison oak and poison ivy, even though people have it growing all over their yards)
    https://plants.ifas.ufl.edu/plant-directory/schinus-terebinthifolia/

sciter3.jpg

If you are doing yard work and have any of this in your yard and several days later you come down with a rash on your legs or arms, the odds are good that this is what caused it - not poison oak on a bike trail that you don't remember brushing up against. I have removed it from our yard, and kill it whenever it pops up from adventitious seeding, but my neighbor has removed ALL other trees in their backyard EXCEPT Brazilian peppers(!)

18. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    And in our wilds, some are allergic to Sumac.

19. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    California sumac is not only non-toxic, but edible.

https://www.kcet.org/home-garden/8-ways-to-use-california-sumac-for-the-holidays

Don't get me wrong - there is a plant called poison sumac that is every bit as bad as poison oak. However poison sumac doesn't grow in California (additionally, it isn't even a true sumac). I have seen California sumac on the trail margin on Harding Truck Trail at about mile 8.5.

20. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    I'm not allergic to anything except maybe poison oak. :eek: It's definitely poison oak I just wish I knew where I got it. I'll pay more attention in the future.

@BonsaiNut I scrubbed last night before I applied the Ivarest. I'm hoping I'm on the backside of this crap.

21. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Yeah, people should understand that most treatments treat the symptoms and not the cause. The cause is the plant oils - and your body's reaction to them - and as long as those oils are on your skin, the best you can hope for are medicines that mute your body's auto-immune response. If you don't remove the oil, you can have a reaction that lasts weeks... until the oil physically wears off, or the contaminated skin flakes off as part of the standard natural growth process. The oil is invisible and particularly tenacious, and if it is on a part of your body that you normally don't scrub with soap (like the back of your leg), it can stay somewhat indefinitely.

I love my plants :) When we did the Holy Jim / Trabuco loop a couple of years ago, @Mikie , @mtnbikej and @MattB got a forced lecture on white sage :) Perhaps that is one reason why they kept riding away from me :)

22. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    If it’s been mentioned, I missed it...

I’d also wash your truck seat... especially the lower part where your leg comes into contact.

23. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Ah, my mistake.

Good ahead, eat some.:gag::laugh:

24. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    I took some cleaner to it yesterday when I got in. I will do it again this morning. Current condition....

IMG_20190405_082218_881.jpg

25. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    It wouldn't be the first time :) It's amazing if you take some wilderness survival classes how much stuff out there is edible. You can make an amazing tea from birch bark... in fact, I prefer it to regular tea. They actually sell it on Amazon now :)

If you eat poison oak however... it can kill you :(

26. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Perfect pic to see while I'm eating bacon...

27. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    It did nothing to enhance my spinach omelette, either. :gag:

28. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Nummy!!

29. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    Dude, that's gnarly.....
    :gag:

Hope it gets better soon!

30. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Hope it doesn't feel as bad as it looks!