The coffee lover thread

Discussion in 'Free Zone' started by Luis, Jan 13, 2017.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    Ok Guys, Nespresso Rocks!
    We have the Pixie from around 2013 and it still works perfect. However the water tank lid for some reason not longer closed ( I not saying why though), and so the tank wouldn't seal and let us brew.
    I was going to order online but the wife said " hang on, I'm calling Nespresso". o_O good luck getting a real person on the phone these days.....
    Anyway she did get a real person! My wife told the rep about our issue and asked if we could buy one. No problem, but she mentions the system is down can I call you back? Of course!

About 45 minutes later the phone rings, the lady from Nespresso said that since we've been such a good customer ( a good caffeine addict more like it..) they dropped one is the mail for us no charge as a one time customer appreciation benefit. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

And I'm almost out of pods.....time to order more....and trust me it more than pays for the tank.
    Moral of the story? Being nice and pleasant to the customer service rep pays off...and Nespresso Rocks!! :coffee::coffee:

2. Luis

Luis iMTB Addict

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    La Diabla
    Gonna use you as a reference in case my little machine ever breaks down :)

3. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    My Pixie died last year when we were in Saint George for True Grit. It was a little embarrassing! I couldn't make @horsebikerider her espresso shots. :thumbsdown: Pretty sure that's why they let me tag along and I failed to deliver. :( :p :eek:

In the Pixie's defense, it was really old and there's no telling how many shots it made in its lifetime... It has since been replaced with the plastic cheap version. Not as nice as the Pixie, but it has the same pump... And it's main duty is as a backup to the big machine.

The Puerto Rican is my new favorite by the way... :inlove:

4. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    A shot of Puerto Rican and a pastry from a local landmark. Life is good.

IMG_2604.jpeg

5. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    Went to Nespresso today and bought a few sleeves....they were out of Puerto Rican. I'm guessing the Steve drained their supply.:coffee::cool:

6. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Dang - that place is so old they're not even in color yet!

Oaken, Luis, rossage and 5 others like this.
  7. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Porto's? (I know they're not technically Puerto Rican, but it's almost exactly the same).

8. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    The Puerto Rican is the Nespresso shot. :)

I knew you’d get the Porto’s... :thumbsup: Only 17 minutes from the house. That could be bad. :eek:

9. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    If I hit all of the lights red, it's 7 minutes, maybe 8, from my house to the Buena Park Porto's. :facepalm:

Faust29, Luis, heyitsdave and 2 others like this.
  10. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Pretty big fan of Onyx

shawndoh likes this.
  11. Dirtrider....

Dirtrider.... Well-Known Member

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley V4
    How does the Aeropress compare to a french press for taste and clean up?

rossage likes this.
  12. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    I used a French press for many years before switching to the AeroPress. I still use the press for making large batches of coffee. The AeroPress makes espresso-like shots.
    I purchased the AeroPress for travel and camping but was immediately blown away by the flavor and texture of the espresso. I am no expert, palate-wise, but the taste is way better than the press. Less oils, less bitter, less heavy sediment.
    The AeroPress is more sensitive to grind size than the press. Too fine and it clogs the filter, too coarse and the flavor is weaker.
    For clean up, the press is the winner, but not by much. Just dump the grounds and rinse and you're good to go. The AeroPress uses a paper filter that can be rinsed for re-use or tossed with the puck of coffee that's produced. The rest is just rinse and brew.
    The AeroPress goes where I go. Simple, durable, light, small, and flavorful.
    Highly recommended.
    :thumbsup:

13. siata94

siata94 Well-Known Member

Name:
    siata
    Current Bike:
    lazy goat
    I get nervous anytime my stash falls below 50lbs...

green coffee beans.jpg

14. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
    :coffee:

15. Nag

Nag Member

Name:
    Noah
    Current Bike:
    Niner Rip
    Oooh something I can contribute to! I may be just catching up on the mtb thing (I have an fs!), but I'm an advanced intermediate coffee drinker. Happy to see some Flores in there! Great place, good coffee (great diving in Komodo - the lizards are cool too). The family and I spent the last 8 years in Bali, so I'm partial to the Indonesian coffees. I'll take anything, but Bali Kintamani (the real deal, not the powder), Papua (so hard to get) and Toraja are my faves. I'm also a pour over guy. Have an aeropress and like it, but pour over is the jammy jam. I will also shout out to the french press - if you get it dialed (exactly 4 mins, etc.) you can still get the goods.

shawndoh, clydes001, Luis and 4 others like this.
  16. siata94

Name:
    siata
    Current Bike:
    lazy goat
    As my primary prep method is espresso, I've never had much luck w/ all the Indonesian brewed as single origins. I've tried many, Java, Sulawesi, PNG, Sumatra and without roasting darker than I'd like, can never get a decent cup. I know... don't blame the coffee, blame the barista...

That said, Bali Kintamani is an interesting coffee. The greens have totally different colors, not the usual drab green, and the bean sizes vary probably the most, from tiny to ginormous, so it's challenging for an advanced beginner roaster like me to get a nice even roast, esp at a lighter roast level. It's impossible for me to use for espresso but it makes a nice pourover (which I rarely ever do), it's like drinking fruit loops tea. And some like some Sumatra that I've tried has way too many defects, takes way too much time to sort them out and end up throwing away 3 or 4 out of 10 beans.

If you plan to come near Tustin/Irvine, let me know a few days in advance, I'll have a fresh batch of Flores waiting for you.

shawndoh and Faust29 like this.
  17. littlewave

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
    Take him up on this, he roasts a delicious brew!

18. siata94

Name:
    siata
    Current Bike:
    lazy goat
    I'll pay you later Brett!

19. Nag

Nag Member

Name:
    Noah
    Current Bike:
    Niner Rip
    Sold! I might have to find another reason to get down that way, aside from the coffee - good biking? If travel ever becomes a thing again, I'll be headed back to Indo and will try to pick up a few of my faves to share. But yeah, not as espresso. Coffee culture has really taken off in Indonesia and it's easier to find a great cup of coffee in most Indonesian cities than it is here in the US of A, I'm sad to say.

Faust29 and Luis like this.
  20. siata94

Name:
    siata
    Current Bike:
    lazy goat
    No need to go far and wide nowadays... New crop will arrive around Oct/Nov... But a lil still exists, I'm told there's 4 lbs left.

I'd rec ordering from here... a trusted drug dealer and great prices when most vendors have gone to 12oz bags for $16+. Even cheaper when buying in 2 or 5lb bags from various roasters...

https://www.theexcellentcup.com/coffee/bali-kintamani-natural/

Faust29 and Luis like this.
  21. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Lil' cup of awesome juice.

00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200829082231756_COVER.jpg

22. clydes001

clydes001 Member

Name:
    clyde
    Current Bike:
    cannondale m400 (classic)
    awesome, I’m a home roaster myself! I’m sipping a cup of Columbia Inza Veredas Vecinas. I picked it up from SweetMaria’s and it’s about a City+ roast level!

I love when hobbies collide!

Cyclotourist, siata94 and Luis like this.
  23. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Screenshot_20200901-054227.jpg
    Get some!

Cyclotourist and Faust29 like this.
  24. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    @Faust29 had mentioned he saw some stainless steel filters for the AeroPress online. I was introduced to Prima-coffee.com, and ordered two right away.
    Got the regular and fine. Regular works great. Little bit of sediment in my Americano, little bit more oils. Cleans up easy.
    IMG_20200831_164707__01.jpg IMG_20200831_164923__01.jpg IMG_20200831_164837.jpg
    This is the regular.
    You can barely see the holes in the fine screen

Cyclotourist, Oaken and Faust29 like this.
  25. littlewave

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
    Been using this for a couple months now:

https://fellowproducts.com/products...cA5ZU5zZ7oCORL0IQUKgcXSnQs8G4cOUaAtq2EALw_wcB

Faust29 and rossage like this.
  26. MTB Rad Dad

MTB Rad Dad Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    Adam Miller
    Current Bike:
    Intense Tracer
    My buddy uses a aeropress, I need to think about picking one up.

I like to use a pour-over or french press when I'm out camping.

Faust29 and herzalot like this.
  27. ddmansprty

ddmansprty Member

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Trek Fuel
    Getting a new coffee maker for my 50th birthday, because caffeine is part of getting my old fat ass out of bed in the morning. Looking for suggestions with a cap around $300. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

28. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
  29. siata94

Name:
    siata
    Current Bike:
    lazy goat
    Grinder first... I assume you have at least the same amount set aside for a quality grinder.

DangerDirtyD and rossage like this.
  30. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    They have raised almost $2.9 million and still only a prototype. You would think that by now production would have started. o_O idk.....

It does look like a really Cool way to get espresso on the go though.

DangerDirtyD and rossage like this.