The coffee lover thread

Discussion in 'Free Zone' started by Luis, Jan 13, 2017.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.

If I went that far in the budget, I’d have to sleep with one eye open... The super automatic I bought refurbished is as far as I could safely push the wife envelope. :D :eek:

Although... I’ve recently begun to leave web pages with La Pavonis open on the computer. I’m sure she’s noticed, and we’ll start the negotiations at some point. :p

2. siata94

siata94 Well-Known Member

Name:
    siata
    Current Bike:
    lazy goat
  3. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    Checking it out now, thanks!!

Faust29 and DangerDirtyD like this.
  4. siata94

Name:
    siata
    Current Bike:
    lazy goat
    This may be heresy but a capsule machine such as Nespresso, and I have one, does not produce a "traditional" shot of espresso.
    That's not to say Nespresso isn't good, it just isn't espresso. Sorta like a pourover is not the same as a french press.

Espresso is thick syrupy like used motor oil in most cases. Nespresso is somewhere between a drip and an espresso, prob close to what a moka pot produces.

5. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    Yep, I think that’s why my husband didn’t like it. That and he wants to create the espresso himself:thumbsup: It seems to be an art
    You are a wealth of information, thanks for sharing!

Faust29 and DangerDirtyD like this.
  6. siata94

Name:
    siata
    Current Bike:
    lazy goat
    next thing you know, he'll want to do latte art... :)

cappa3.jpg

herzalot, Faust29, Mikie and 2 others like this.
  7. siata94

Name:
    siata
    Current Bike:
    lazy goat
    For years I was swilling happily w/ a 1-serving moka pot minding my own business. Then about 15 yrs ago, my wife thought it'd be a good idea to give me a $50 espresso machine from costco for xmas. I struggled to get anything drinkable out of that machine, the grinder I had, and the lack of fresh roasted coffee locally and fell into a rabbit hole...

8. siata94

Name:
    siata
    Current Bike:
    lazy goat
    Sara, it's only an art, or should I say a struggle, with an iffy grinder. Changing to different beans requires adjustments and often times, you'd have several sink shots (undrinkable, down the sink it goes) before you can make something that's drinkable, if at all with that particular bean. Even w/ the Pharos/K10, there will be sink shots. More with lesser grinders. I've experienced enough of bags from reputable roasters that all went into the sink, cannot get a single drinkable shot and I'm talking ultra bitter and/or battery acid sour bad. Sometimes they taste that way in their cafes, third wave they may call themselves...

With the right grinder, it becomes routine. Chasing the "god shot" may still be challenging, requires adjusting grind/dose/temp... But once I'd upgraded my grinder yet again, I have never had to pour a shot down the sink the last 5+ years. It may not be great but it's good enough to drink, unless the roast was just wrong, then I gift it away. Haha.

9. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    He is an artist so I’m sure you’re correct!
    I can’t believe how high the prices are for some of those machines:confused: I’d have to get a real job!
    But like the guys said, it’s like buying your first bike..don’t get it at Walmart, even if it’s preowned..get something that’s gonna last at least a little while!

Luis, Faust29, Mikie and 1 other person like this.
  10. siata94

Name:
    siata
    Current Bike:
    lazy goat
    I'd rec that grinder (motorized) should be more than machine. I cannot advocate you getting a real job, he should enjoy the Nespresso :).

11. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
  12. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    Really?? That’s seems backwards to me, but then I have zero knowledge in this realm! What specific grinder make?

Faust29, Mikie and DangerDirtyD like this.
  13. siata94

Name:
    siata
    Current Bike:
    lazy goat
    I've been consistent in my posts... "grinder first". That's why I recommended manual grinders, much cheaper than motorized.

An espresso machine is just a hot water pump, some with very complex functions but let's not go there (temp/pressure/flow profiling). The grinder has a disproportionately larger effect on the outcome than the machine.

Faust29, Mikie and mountaingirl sara like this.
  14. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    You’ll shoot your eye out, kid!

Faust29, Mikie and mountaingirl sara like this.
  15. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    Super info, this quick thread will save me hours of internet research!:)
    @DangerDirtyD :laugh:

Faust29, Mikie and DangerDirtyD like this.
  16. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    The La Pavoni is the only one I have experience with... I had one in my office for a few years and fell in love with it. :inlove:

mountaingirl sara likes this.
  17. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Blasphemy alert!

I had some left over coffee in my press from earlier this morning. Popped the lid and poured in some more boiling water. Swished around for flavor and aroma.
    Then I used it and a hot chocolate pack to make a mocha? Ha! Even had some Reddiwhip...
    Starbucks sucks!
    Now, back to the garage... @DangerDirtyD

Oaken, Derkderkall, herzalot and 4 others like this.
  18. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    My best ever coffee was had summer 2007 at a camp along Beaver Creek somewhere between Tok and Whitehorse. Mamas didn’t know how to make coffee so she just took the gallon kettle with yesterday’s grounds and added more grounds and water and boiled it. The crew said it was the best coffee ever. It must have been a cold and rainy morning.

19. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    What about that time me and you and the Malemute Kid rode the ice flow to getaway from the RCMP?
    That squaw made coffee in a hail of lead along the roiling waters of the Yukon.

Oaken, CBone, herzalot and 3 others like this.
  20. siata94

Name:
    siata
    Current Bike:
    lazy goat
    I see what I did wrong, I don't mean buy the Export, I meant to say try a lever to see if you like it before you buy the LP. But since you've already used the LP and obviously like it...

21. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    You did nothing wrong... And I appreciate the offer. :thumbsup: If I try one though, I’ll really get the itch to buy one... That might not contribute to domestic bliss at the moment. :D

22. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    You remember when we foregathered on the Tanana, [three] years come next ice-run?

23. siata94

Name:
    siata
    Current Bike:
    lazy goat
    Just sharing...

I rarely buy roasted beans but when I do, it's usually from Nossa esp when they have coupons (30% off coffee and free shipping coupons). I only ever get the Full Cycle (owners are bike fanatics) espresso blend, it's roasted on the fairly lighter side. I've ordered Full Cycle many times and I've had great espresso from it and occasionally not so great.

https://www.nossacoffee.com/coffee

Note: total price after both coupons must be over $25 for both to work.

Faust29 and mountaingirl sara like this.
  24. siata94

Name:
    siata
    Current Bike:
    lazy goat
    Just wanted to update...

I haven't been paying attention to the development of modding the Breville 920XL. It seems to be a "player". Even in stock form, it's beyond the capabilities of standard espresso machines 2x its price point if you don't mind its "domestic" appearance. With the simple mods, it can mimic flow/pressure control of much more expensive machine. I believe it's the least expensive machine capable of that. I am tempted to try one...

The 920XL is the only "coffee geek" model in the lineup.

mountaingirl sara and Faust29 like this.
  25. siata94

Name:
    siata
    Current Bike:
    lazy goat
    update: new coupons from Nossa is 20% and free shipping. Actually works better than 30% off for 2lb bag...

26. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    Coffee.. never had a bad cup... even the coffee mixed with dirt was still pretty tasty ...
    Me, "..is that dirt mixed in that bag?"
    Guatemalan dude, "..it makes it taste earthy.."

27. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I had a friend when I was younger... Older German lady. If I brought her coffee from Dunkin Donuts (or anywhere else), she would try it, wrinkle her nose, swear in German about weak American coffee, and then stir in 3 or 4 spoons full of instant until it was a nice gritty sludge. :p

28. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Platoon Sergeant in the Marines would just pour instant coffee into his mouth and swish it down with canteen water. Followed it up with a smoke.

29. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    Makes me jittery just thinking about this.

Got some more kona, this time from Smith farms . Tiny little coffe grower on kina with some trees over 100 years old. Good stuff!

30. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Speaking of jittery
    Screenshot_20200118-165812.jpg

Cyclotourist, Luis, herzalot and 3 others like this.