The coffee lover thread

Discussion in 'Free Zone' started by Luis, Jan 13, 2017.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Sasquatch9billion

Sasquatch9billion iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    trinidad j. mendez
    I have a guy on my team at work that drinks Death Wish Coffee....Man, that guy never stops talking.

Luis, Danimal, SnakeCharmer and 5 others like this.
  2. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

Funny.....I think the same thing evwry time someone posts to the Beer thread too. :cautious:

3. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Wake and bake! 2 cups of French-pressed Costco Sumatra... And a little Jack Herer.
    Good morning!

4. Derkderkall

Derkderkall iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
    Been back in the U.S. about 40 hours now...... Major Tim Hortons withdrawals are happening...

5. Old&InTheWay

Old&InTheWay Well-Known Member

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    2017 Intense Primer Pro
    Do any of you Coffee ( bean) Lovers also consume Coffee Fruit, the pulp of the coffee berry, in any form ? It contains a lot less caffeine but is significantly higher in the other goodies that the bean has to offer. Coffee fruit has one of the highest levels of antioxidants of all foods and is anti-inflammatory. It contains 5 of the 8 essential monosaccharides , necessary for cell health and protection. It promotes production of BDNF ( Brain Derived Neurotrophic Factor ) much higher than the bean. Of course, self pedaling a bike up a mountain on a regular basis can increase BDNF serum levels 300-400%. It is released from the muscles. Very healthy for the brain. This and more from coffee fruit.
    Due to G.I. issues I don't drink coffee, carbonated beverages or beer. Lately though I've been using, in moderation, Vega Sport Sugar-Free Energizer, Acai Flavored.

PWESF-natural-Acai-Berry-tub-nutrition_1280x.jpg
    Good Stuff :thumbsup:

6. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Only in Portlandia...

IMG_20190725_074556.jpg

7. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Tim Hortons has invaded parts of NY... Where the locals won't touch a Starbucks, Tim Hortons is thriving! Along the Lake Erie corridor, you can literally stop at one every 5 minutes. o_O

8. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    You shouldn't have led with "less caffeine." I had a hard time focusing past that point. :whistling:

9. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Stumptown?

Sasquatch9billion and bvader like this.
  10. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    No... little local shop named Extracto

11. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    New espresso machine turns out a good cap!
    IMG_20190804_093614~2.jpg

12. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    New machine? Do tell...

13. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Upgraded from the original version of the Breville Barista to the current new and improved with bold new graphics model. They're great machines and come out with perfect crema. The new one has a better grinder, and I like the frothing wand a lot more as it's one piece instead of two. It's also significantly quieter which is nice.

14. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Pics or... well you know...

15. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    I have it on Strava!

16. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Ha! Is there STRAVA for espresso making? If so, I think @Faust29 probably has several KOEs.

Stkx66, Cyclotourist, Faust29 and 2 others like this.
  17. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I self reported as having the e-bike of the espresso world. All I have to do in the morning is stumble to the kitchen and find the big round button with the coffee cup. :oops:

IMG_2271.jpg

Danimal, herzalot, bvader and 5 others like this.
  18. siata94

siata94 Well-Known Member

Name:
    siata
    Current Bike:
    lazy goat
    I have Illy cups... has the handle broke off on yours? If so, how would you extend your pinkie properly
    while sipping on your capp?

bvader and DangerDirtyD like this.
  19. siata94

siata94 Well-Known Member

Name:
    siata
    Current Bike:
    lazy goat
    I would be near the bottom... typical espressos are made in 30 sec range. Mine are typically closer to the 60 sec range.

DangerDirtyD likes this.
  20. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Can anyone recommend an inexpensive espresso machine?

bvader, Fueledbyex8 and Faust29 like this.
  21. Stkx66

Stkx66 iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower 27+/ 29r
    Do you remember how old you were when you had your first cup of coffee? I was like 5 or 6 years old. The family that was baby sitting me gave it to me in a small green plastic cup.

22. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    If you're not really picky, you can make an "espresso" in a Moka pot on the stove. I have two or three of them around, and still dig them out every now and then. Give me a few minutes with a whisk and a small sauce pan, and I can make a faux cappuccino. :D Moka pots can be found for $20.

As far as inexpensive machines, I haven't paid attention lately... Sorry on that one.

DangerDirtyD likes this.
  23. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I was 10 or 11 and the coffee was Folgers instant. Served in the finest restaurants! :facepalm: :gag: :sick:

DangerDirtyD likes this.
  24. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    My most memorable cup of coffee was when I was 19 years old in USMC boot camp.
    As you entered the chow hall, you grabbed a tray and the first thing in line was the coffee. In huge, stainless steel vats. The color, brown, but translucent. Practically tasteless.
    We were allowed to drink one cup, no cream or sugar, though they were available.
    The overly thick Navy mug, the aroma, the screaming drill sargeants...

25. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    My most memorable cup was from when I was stationed in Germany. My sister was coming to visit, so I took a week of leave and drove her around all my old haunts. We happened to be in Bavaria during Oktoberfest, and there were no hotel rooms to be had close to Munich, so one night we ended up staying at a farm in some small village. My sister was tired from all the touring we were doing, so she went to bed early. I wasn't tired at all, and I knew there was a kid living in the farm somewhere around my age, so I walked down the hall, knocked on his bedroom door, and asked him about local dance clubs. He asked whether my "wife" was going with me, and when I explained I was traveling with my sister, he volunteered to go out with me and show me the best clubs :)

Long story short, we were out quite late. His English was about as good as my German, so the conversation wasn't too deep, but we had a great time regardless. I bought him all his drinks, and even had a girl I was dancing with get mad at me because she thought I was German and only pretending to be American :) "I know you're not American," she said, "because you don't speak English good enough!" LOL!

We eventually made it back to the farm, where I snagged a couple of kittens and put them in bed with my sister :) After that I crashed for the night.

The next morning I went down to the kitchen for breakfast, and the mother of the house looked at me curiously with a wry smile. She didn't speak any English, and I eventually figured out that she was laughing because her son was up all night getting sick because he drank so much :) (the German slang for "hangover" is "ein Kater" or literally, a tomcat). I told her I didn't feel bad at all, so she proceeded to make me the most amazing breakfast. Almost everything was from the farm - the eggs, the ham - the bread was homemade, as was the butter, and she served it with honeycomb from their bee hive. With this feast, she served me a cup of the most amazing chocolate coffee I have ever had. I just sat there in nirvana, eating fresh bread with butter and honey, and soaking up that great coffee, while she laughed at the American GI who made her son so drunk.

Can't remember the kid's name now, but I stayed in touch with him for several years afterwards. We'd write letters back and forth in those days before the Internet. He was taking English classes in school and enjoyed the practice :)

26. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    I think that's an oxymoron. :laugh:

But there's this... $6 at Target.

[​IMG]

bvader, rossage and Faust29 like this.
  27. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I can't see the link... Or image. Maybe that's a good thing.

28. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    What is inexpensive? we

Aeropress is an idea

Moka pot can make some goodness as said.

29. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    19. Working on the grounds crew on a golf course in the San Luis Valley, CO (7000' of elevation). Frost on the greens meant we couldn't get to mowing and cup cutting, so had to warm up in the pro shop. Poured me a cup of Farmer Bros in a large styro cup. Black. Hated the first sip, but I was cold and it was warm. I was hooked by the time I saw the bottom of the cup. I LOVED it. To be fair - it was by all accounts of the coffee drinkers present - a good quality cup of coffee. I've had coffee damn near every morning since - so nearly 20 years! :whistling:

30. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Cafetera. No moving parts but the lid.:thumbsup:

Sasquatch9billion and Faust29 like this.