The Bomb Squad triple threat!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by Tom the Bomb, Apr 13, 2018.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb Well-Known Member

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    Ok I’ve been slack’n. The last 3 weeks and 4 rides.

PCE to Art Smith! OOOOhhh yeah! We had just been out the week before and climbed Art Smith to Hans to Claire Burgess and the goat trails. Lots of HAB but lots of goodness to the end. We were all talking about getting more out of Art Smith descending so Pat and I went back to enjoy the fruits of last weeks labor. We hauled the mail to the wash in 60 degree temps , survived the climb to the the Oasis and attacked Art Smith. Still a tough climb to the half way point but fun and challenging techy lifts and ledges, then we hit the good stuff. Really good stuff! What a blast the the last 3 miles of Art Smith is! We will definitely hit this route again. I had done this route about 10 years ago and could only remember how everyone hit the wall and cramped up. I was passing out endurolites and rationing out the last bit of water I had to save the squad so I did not really have an enjoyable recollection of this route. It was also very warm that day. This day was the way it should have been. BAAAAALLLLLZ BABY!

Iron Mountain. I rode this trail with Ellie Lane as a finish quite a few years ago and remembering how chunky it was I was wanting to hit it again. Just so happens I was going to San Diego to visit family and figured it was on the way so I’m in. Yes just the way I remember it. Chunky! Too chunky! 80% hike a bike up. The descent was fun but still had to walk over a few sections because the boulders were just to big for bottom bracket clearance. I hit Ellie Lane and had to turn around because most of it looked like it had not been worked or brushed in quite a while. Bummer.
    I would not go back , to much time off the bike.

The next day my Son in law and I hit up The Elfin Forest. T-2 had just been up there hiking with the family and was talking it up big time. Lotsa chunk to keep you focused. And he was right. Lots of techy climbing but again quite a bit of portage. After about 2 miles of techy climbing we get to the next section which is not as techy and a bit more on the bike. We finally get to the top descend Mazanita and the chunk on the way down the way up trail. That was fun but again I would not climb this trail again, just off the bike too much. A couple other MTB guys stopped to talk and find out what we were going to ride that morning and they mentioned they were going to climb somewhere just east of where we were. Now I know why. 6.5 miles and it took us 2hrs. Better than yard work though!

Last weekend it was back to The San Gabs. Newcomes to Hilliards to Chilao to hilliards and back. Silver Moccasin sweetness. T-2 and Redwoods had not done this ride so I was about to become the favorite riding buddy. Miles of smiles and new dirt. The SM trail is sooooo fun!

Enjoy the pics. I have no pics of the Newcombs ride. Pat and Tom will kick those in.

TTB

IMG_2216.JPG

IMG_2217.JPG

IMG_2220.JPG

IMG_2221.JPG

IMG_2222.JPG

IMG_2223.JPG

IMG_2224.JPG

IMG_2225.JPG

IMG_2226.JPG

IMG_2228.JPG

IMG_2230.JPG

IMG_2232.jpg

IMG_2233.jpg

IMG_2241.JPG

IMG_2242.JPG

IMG_2243.JPG

IMG_2244.JPG

IMG_2245.JPG

IMG_2247.JPG

IMG_2248.JPG

IMG_2249.JPG

IMG_2250.JPG

IMG_2251.JPG

IMG_2255.JPG

IMG_2256.JPG

IMG_2257.JPG

IMG_2258.JPG

IMG_2259.JPG

IMG_2260.JPG

IMG_2263.JPG

IMG_2266.JPG

IMG_2268.JPG

IMG_2269.JPG

IMG_2270.JPG

IMG_2271.JPG

IMG_2277.JPG

IMG_2279.JPG

IMG_2280.JPG

IMG_2281.JPG

IMG_2282.JPG

IMG_2283.JPG

IMG_2286.JPG

IMG_2291.JPG

IMG_0945.JPG

IMG_0950.JPG

2. Grego

Grego iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    Cool report(s) and pic's Tom. Your slack'n is better than my routine rides. :thumbsup:

3. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, blue one, black one
    That Iron Mountain looks like the real frikkin deal. If it looks chunky in pics then it surely looks worse in person. Good stuff @Tom the Bomb...:thumbsup:

4. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    Pics, or it didn't happen. :confused: :eek:

Oh...

Nice rides! :thumbsup:

Grego and Tom the Bomb like this.
  5. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah