The Bomb squad takes on Mt. Lowe

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by Tom the Bomb, Mar 25, 2014.

1. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb MTB Addict

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    The Bomb squad takes on Mt. Lowe!
    Ian, Mark, Tim, Adam, Pat, Ellerton and I cruised in to the Jpl parking lot about 8:15 unloaded and mounted our favorite rides to enjoy one of the best rides in So. Cal. . Definitely one of my top 3 of all time. Ian was sporting a 3rd time demo of the new Specialized Enduro 29r. I think he is ready to pull the trigger, the perfect weapon for this shock pounding trail.
    We made the road ride to Lower Sam Merrill and began the the grunt up to the ruins with Pat and Mark dragging us up the mountain. Every time I do this climb it never ceases to amaze me how long it takes me to get to the ruins but never seems that long. Maybe because there is so much focus on the switchbacks and getting over the rocks it makes it seem shorter. Don’t get me wrong it still hurts and I paid for this one. Guess I had not let the body recover as much as needed from all the rides over the last 2 weeks but what can I say. Take it when ya can. Adam and I got to the ruins and did not see the rest of the crew so we figured they climbed up to the fireroad so we pushed on up. We get to the road and still no one so we continue up another mile and decide to take a fuel break . Another rider rides by and lets us know the others had gone to the ruins to check things out and are on the way up. A few minutes later everyone is back together and we are pedaling up to Inspiration. We hang out, refuel, hydrate, take a few pics, pad up and get ready for sweetness to come. Mark, Ian and I lead out and what a blast of a trail! Rocks , ledges, drops and plenty of exposure to keep you riveted to the dirt, man what a blast. Pat wondered why we don’t ride this trail every week? Tons of fun, we get to the end of Sunset and Ian has to bail because of time . The rest of us slam and hammer through to the campground, eat a bar,down the last of the endurolites and climb over to El Prieto . What a way to end a ride, sweet forested single track to the fire road and out to Jpl. This ride never ceases to please.
    Awesome riding by all, only 2 flats out of 7 riders and no mechanicals. Kudos to Adam and Tim for getting through the chunk on 100mm travel bikes , you guys are tough! Mark , Ian and Pat are always strong and good to meet Ellerton . He is lucky to have this is in his back yard. Good work of the tree drop at the end of El. P. Adam, bet your heart was pounding after that one :)>).
    Keep the rubber side down.
    TTB

all smiles before the pain.jpg

climbing higher.jpg

above the clouds.jpg

niiiice.jpg

into the sun!.jpg

inspiration.jpg

finally at the top, foooood!.jpg

inspired.jpg

selfy and crew.jpg

Don't take your eyes off that boulder!.jpg

uh oh!.jpg

that looks like an endo waiting to happen.jpg

timo.jpg

whoa horsey!.png

I likes dat!.png

Mark, Ya I rode all that!.jpg

Ellington all smiles, whew got through that section!.jpg

Adam Ant too fast for me!.jpg

Patrick lovin it, sporting all his colors.jpg

Timo always attacking.jpg

sweetness.jpg

half way there.jpg

uh oh Adam figured it out!.jpg

Ian's clean sock shot.jpg

Faust29 likes this.
  2. Mikie

Mikie Admin/MTB Addict

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Yeti ASR5c, SC Hightower
    Holy Smokes Bomb-Zilla!
    Just take over the Magazine... You got this! :cool:
    Awesome Ride Report and Fun/Fantastic Pics Doood!
    You guys were having an acceptable amount of fun out there...I encourage this . . . :lol:

Wish I was there Bud!

3. rossage

rossage MTB Addict

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Thanks for not showing the toes. Mikie might get upset with all that "nudity" !!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Great ride report...great trail....

4. hill^billy

hill^billy MTB Addict

Name:
    Doug Lake
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB-66
    Thanks Bomb, nice report!

5. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD MTB Addict

Name:
    Dennis (AKA Dio)
    Current Bike:
    2013 Trek Slash 9 (26er)
    Bomb! Your ride reports make me feel like I was there! Glad you guys had a blast! See you around!

6. Sprockethead

Sprockethead Member

Name:
    Andy C
    Nice report Tom. We must have just missed you guys, we did the shuttle from Eaton. That was by far the most hikers I've ever seen out there. There were 2 big Boy Scout groups on El Prieto we had to get around.

7. Daddy Dirtbag

Daddy Dirtbag Well-Known Member

Name:
    Jeff Johansen
    Current Bike:
    2016 Trek Stache 9 29+
    This ride just keep getting higher and higher on 'my list'.

How is it compared to the Winter Creek/Mt. Zion/Chantry Flat ride?

8. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb MTB Addict

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    Guess we got lucky . Did not have many hikers or shuttlers.

9. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb MTB Addict

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    Oh ya much higher. Seems like this ride just keeps coming at ya,

10. mtbbiker

mtbbiker Active Member

Name:
    Craig
    Tom you keep bagging more & more must do rides! Nice job! I wish I could've made it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD