The Bomb Squad San Gabes assault!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by Tom the Bomb, May 28, 2018.

1. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb Well-Known Member

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    The Bomb Squad San Gabe Epic #2

#2! A couple weeks ago we did the 3 points to Chantry Epic #1. This week San Gabe Epic #2! These rides have one thing in mind. Epic, long badass down hill! And right in our back yard!

I know this has happened to you. Planned out a dynamite ride, went to bed and just could not sleep anticipating the stoke of the next day. Yep, it happened!

These rides have been in the works for over a month now, thanks to Pat and Ross. Mapping out and picking the San Gabe Master Ross’s brain on the best route with the highest fun factor.

The weather window looked good so the day before the plan went into effect. T-2, Grego, Vincent , The Trail Slayer and I would be the Bomb Squad for the day. 3-4 messages and Emails to Chris at Mt. Wilson shuttles and we were booked and scheduled for the drop off at Clear Creek ready for Single track goodness. The route. Up and around Strawberry, across to Red box , up the road to Mueller Tunnel , Up and over Upper Sam Merrill to Inspiration Point down the front side Merrills, Sunset and out Horsey to Chaney Trail and back to Jpl.

The climb up to Josephine saddle was cool and smooth. We get to the top and Tom notices he has about a single strand of shifter cable keeping his drive train together. Fortunately he has a spare, installs it and we are back on the trail. We climb up and drop in to the sweet trail to the valley boostin , roostin and groovin to the swoopy goodness! We float over the valley floor, crank and push up the back side anticipating the fast and furious down hill to highway 2. Yes it was, fast and furious, smoking through the high speed turns boostin the lips and leaving only dust behind!

Arriving at Red box we are all smiles and high 5s , grab some fuel and head up the road to the front side. We push up and through Mueller Tunnel and pull up to the entrance of Upper Sam Merrill. I give the trail low down to the guys since none of them had ridden this section to see what there response would be knowing that it is not gonna be without a bit of pucker coming down the other side. Vincent had seen some video of the trail and is all go so up we go. We get to the top and it looks even gnarlier than I remember! Nasty, steep, rutted, loose and with a 2 foot drop in the middle that had to be jumped to even a steeper transition to the bottom. Vincent fearlessly dives in first I follow as do Greg and Tom. We maneuver through the 1stsection then slip, slide and tripod through the rest holding it together as we roll to the bottom. Whew! Hairy chit! No blood, no crashes all good! My heart begins to race as I am writing this! Crazy!

As I mentioned before Greg and Vincent had never ridden here so we took them out to Inspiration for the view. Unfortunately a cloud had rolled in and visibility was about 30 feet. We grab a bite, mount back up and head out to some of the best down hill in the Gabes. I lead out keeping all informed of the chunk to come. This is some reeeeaaaallllly good stuff! We bobbed, weaved, swooped and railed all the way to the ruins with a couple of oh Sh*t moments all in one piece and full of pump! Ohh Yah! Vince and Greg are digging it! We climb out to the fire road and again are back to sweetness on Sunset rippin through the forest down to the turn off to Horsey the trail down to Chaney trail. We blast through the berms, jumps and angle the ruts of Horsey down to Chaney, a nice fast trail to a finish our dirt excursion. We then zig zag our way back to Jpl.
    25.8 miles of every facial expression imaginable! What a rush! We could have gone out El P. but we were not sure how long we would be out there. Next time. We also elected not to hit the section from Red box to Switzers since we had just done it a few weeks ago and would have added an hour to the ride. It just did not seem right doing it at the beginning of the ride.
    This ride everyone agreed was AWESOME! A big part of this ride was the adventure! You know, the feeling of accomplishment for successfully completing your plan.

Greg definitely stepped up his chunky game, Vincent just killed it bumping Knobbies with me all the way down and showing us the way down the Steeps! Tom has definitely stepped up his knarly game! A little blood, bumps and bruises with tons of fist pump and MTB stoke! These guys rocked it! Nothing like haulin the mail with your fat tire buddies! Stay tuned for #3!

BaaaaaallllllZZZ Baby!

TTB

IMG_2457.JPG

IMG_2458.JPG

IMG_2459.JPG

IMG_2449.JPG

IMG_2450.JPG

IMG_2451.JPG

IMG_2452.JPG

IMG_2466.JPG

IMG_2467.JPG

IMG_2468.JPG

IMG_2470.JPG

IMG_2471.jpg

IMG_2460.JPG

IMG_2461.JPG

IMG_2462.JPG

IMG_2463.JPG

IMG_2464.JPG

IMG_2455.JPG

IMG_2456.JPG

IMG_2453.JPG

T-2, Jurven240z, pperrelle and 20 others like this.
  2. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS
    Whoa there big guy......back the truck up. Where was my invite? :cautious: Oh, never mind. :rolleyes:

Looks like you guys had a good time on an epic ride. Nicely done. :thumbsup:

3. scan

scan Well-Known Member

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    trek ex 7
    Mine does too reading it! Awesome TTB!!

4. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb Well-Known Member

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    Haha I could say the same!:whistling:

Mikie, scottay, Faust29 and 4 others like this.
  5. Grego

Grego Well-Known Member

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    Epic for sure. Up and around Strawberry I'm familiar with. Not so bad of a fireroad climb then continuing up around and down some sweet singletrack. The rest of the ride, The Merrill's, Sunset, Horsey would be new dirt for Vince and I. I've heard many stories concerning these trails so it was exciting to finally ride them. What a treat! But first Vince would show us some extra credit he found on Youtube called the Steeps.:eek: Then the flowy chunky sometimes exposed singletrack goodness that would be the rest of the ride. Nice tour through the forest, mostly downhill. At times we were bombing so fast it was a workout just hanging on to your bike. I scrubbed a side of the trail at one point but held on somehow. TTB was a great guide keeping us informed on what's ahead. Making sure we cleaned the right hand turn of death.o_O Bombing fun! TTB & T-2 had some interesting stories of previous crashes but rode gracefully all day long. Vince and I had a blast. Only a few pic's...

sb2jpl1.jpg

sb2jpl3.jpg

sb2jpl4.jpg

sb2jpl5.jpg

sb2jpl6.jpg

sb2jpl7.jpg sb2jpl8.jpg

Maddog, T-2, Jurven240z and 17 others like this.
  6. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Yeti ASR5c, SC Hightower
    Outstanding Gentlemen....outstanding!:thumbsup:

7. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    Awesome... I need to get back up there one of these days!

Grego, Mikie, SnakeCharmer and 5 others like this.
  8. Luis

Luis iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    Big Black 29er
    I told ya that Sh!t was fun :thumbsup:

Alex and I are calling that ride the super strawberry loop :)
    Next time you have to go all the way to El P though. No bailouts allowed :rolleyes:
    Great stuff guys!

Grego, Mikie, SnakeCharmer and 6 others like this.
  9. Poofighter

Poofighter Member

Name:
    Noel
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Shortboy
    Thats a big ride and thanks for the ride reports. I did the climb up to Inspiration, Middle, Sunset, Millard, El Prieto the day before and a BIG THANK YOU to @Luis and crew that weed wacked the chit out of the poison oak on Sunset. It was done recently because the clippings on the ground were still green and a nice surprise. I put on a long sleeve layer for PO protection, but didnt need to.

Grego, Mikie, Tom the Bomb and 6 others like this.
  10. Luis

Luis iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    Big Black 29er
    You’re welcome :)

55FB27D4-5DC4-410E-AC07-C7DA5EAD32F2.jpeg

Good thing I have a high tolerance for P.O. :eek:

doublewide, herzalot, Grego and 13 others like this.
  11. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Yeti ASR5c, SC Hightower
    Couldn't this time but want in next time, or the next Tom the Bomb Adventure. Bomb Squad Baby!

Oh! And your first pic at the very top? I would have just colored in the "P"... hee hee hee...

12. T-2

T-2 Member

Name:
    Tom Shaffer
    Current Bike:
    Carbon Stumpy EVO
    Nice write-up Tom. What a hoot linking up these different rides turned out to be.

Tom the Bomb, Grego and Mikie like this.