The Bomb Squad San Gabe Epic #3!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by Tom the Bomb, Jun 10, 2018.

1. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb Well-Known Member

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    The Bomb Squad San Gabe Epic #3!

Here we go #3! Bigger and badder!

The Strawberry peak loop through Switzers and the rehabbed Gabrieleno through to JPL.

Ever done a ride and had more in the tank, wish you had gone bigger? Well this would not be it! When we finished we were toast! Mentally and physically! From the back side DH of Strawberry all the way through the Gabrieleno the focus and commitment had to be razor sharp or you are in big trouble!

Booked on the Mt. Wilson MTB Adventures shuttle Rick Old School, Ron Wood , David Dragun, Greg Grego, Vincent The trail Slayer, Kevin Valentine , Adam A. Naz and my self are in for or maybe more than what we are ready for on this one. Rick and I had been reminiscing about the epic memories we have had riding this route years ago before the fires. Honestly, I did not remember much of the trail only that I had had a blast on it . Was I in for a pleasant surprise? Ohhh Yah!

So up we go on the shuttle which would not feel like a shuttle ride at all. Dropped at Clear Creek we begin the climb to Bluebird skies and comfortable temps, for now. Right at the start Rick’s rear tire that he had done a Stans refresh on was loosing air. He airs up and we continue. About half way up another pump up for Rick. Arriving Single file to the saddle and Kevin pulls over and he is flat. He pulls out his tube installs it and it will not inflate! Piss, a hole in that one too! He starts the patch work and Adam offers up a tube to speed things up. Kevin goes to install it and it is looking a bit tight, reallllll tight, WTH! It’s a 26r! Kevin rides a 29r and so does Adam. Hmmmm. Adam grabs another on from his bag a 29r and all good to go. We continue up and then down into the back side valley all smiles. We spin through the valley floor maneuvering through the goods hit the backside climb/HAB pushup to the saddle and pad up for the DH to the road at Red Box. Vincent realizes he is not getting all his gears and gives his dad a complaining jab, Greg grumbling goes to work on it and has him back in business. Gotta have those gears for the DH!

Off we go rippen around the mountain to Highway 2. Niiiiice!

Across the street we go to grab some fuel and Rick has had enough with his leaky Mountain King , a tube goes in and He is ready. Down from Red Box we go, Got the moves like Jaggar! What a trail! If you have ridden it I know you are smiling! About half of us cleaned the waterfall and ride the log with no issues. We are rockin! Riding through Switzers we again are on the trail .

Let me say none of us remembered how much focus is going to be needed on this section. Whoa! Major exposure, super tight switchy’s narrow bar scraping single track, sketchy tight wheel width butt pucker climbs. Jumps, rocks, boulders and surprise drops to flat with Manzanita pulling at your bars with Poison oak to remind you its there mountain! Ron crashed, Adam crashed and David crashed that I know of and you knew it when David was going down cuz he was very vocal! Haha funny as Sh*t!. In one section Vince , David , Rick and I are railing the trail like a high speed Bullet train and all of a sudden Rick hells out oh SH*t as we are launching off a 4 ft. drop to flat off a concrete foundation! I laughed for 5 minutes, soooo funny! David following me around a corner and up a step up got hung up on the ledge and ended up crashing and mashing into the thicket 10 feet down lost in the entanglement, bike on top! Luckily he is a great sport and only minor scratches and PO as we pull him up. That could have been nasty! We navigate the water crossings and remaining trail troll obstacles and squirt out of the Arroyo onto the road out to the parking lot. Whew what an adventure! Badass Mountain biking baby! Over 26 miles , 3200ft of elevation that I swore was double!

Would I do it again? In a heartbeat! This ride works you. But a good work over!

Thankfully only minor mechanicals, scrapes and bruises with just trickles of blood.

What a good group of Bombers. Kudos to Kevin working the tech on a hard tail and Adam working the chunk when he is usually on the road bike. Ron is one mentally tough dude plowing through the goods, , Greg is like the Energizer Bunny and just keeps going and going. Vincent, David and Rick were scraping knobbies and bumpin bars the whole way!

What a ride!

Baaaaalllllzzz baby!

TTB

P.S. I would stay off the rehabbed Gabe till Autumn when it is scheduled to be officially opened, It will have much more flow. There were 3 significant exposed slides we had to maneuver along with quite a bit of PO. All of this is tagged with markers to be cleaned up. I had seen a post on Trail forks about this ride and thought it was good to go. The next time I saw the post there was a review stating it was not open and needed major work and when I went back the morning of our ride the post had been deleted completely. Your call.

IMG_2504.JPG

IMG_2505.JPG

IMG_2507.JPG

IMG_2509.JPG

IMG_2510.JPG

IMG_2499.JPG

IMG_2500.JPG

IMG_2501.JPG

IMG_2502.JPG

IMG_2503.JPG

IMG_2525.JPG

IMG_2526.JPG

IMG_2527.JPG

IMG_2517.JPG

IMG_2519.JPG

IMG_2520.JPG

IMG_2523.JPG

IMG_2524.JPG

IMG_2511.JPG

IMG_2512.JPG

IMG_2513.JPG

IMG_2514.JPG

IMG_2515.JPG

2. rossage

rossage iMTB Addict

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    You know it was a good Bomb run when you're pulling people out of the bushes!
    Good job guys!
    Excellent report and pics too.

luskie, Old Skool, mike and 12 others like this.
  3. Luis

Luis iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    Big Black 29er
    Officially? That section of the Gabrielino is still closed. Yea we know people have been poaching. Runners, hikers and bikers.
    While we were doing trail work today a rude ass biker came by the crew that was clearing and rebuilding the tread at one of the washouts. He came by like a drunk bull in a china shop and almost fell off the trail in front of the crew. :laugh:
    Hopefully the trail will reopen at the end of July :)

4. Grego

Grego Well-Known Member

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    Epic for sure. Met up at JPL with some familiar faces and some new. Loaded up the bikes on the Mt. Wilson Shuttle and up we went. Unloaded at Clear Creek, got our stuff together and up the Josaphine fire road a few miles. Vince lead the group then quickly disappeared as usual. The sun was out. I was having a good climb but towards the end my chain would suck up a branch. Bent derailleur, broken jockey wheel, busted cage stop. Thought I was done and we have only began. And how the hell would I get back? Well some quick adjustments along with some tweaking I managed to get it to work. No longer an 11 spd, 10 will have to do. Up at the top Ron was having tire issues. Looks like its going to be one of those days... Got it fixed, off we went up and around Strawberry. Good clean single track! Great views. Now Vince was having issues with his derailleur. Dad to the rescue. Vince would follow Dave for some time up the rest of Strawberry. Dave clipped his bars which almost tossed him over the edge. Luckily he landed in some shrub. Vince got it on Gopro. At the top, Rick would now have a tire going down, pumped some air... Good flow down the single track to highway 2, smiles all around. At Red Box, Rick would repair his tire issue while we topped off our packs with more water. Down Gabrielino what a blast!! Twisting turning fast flow tech stuff'. Adam would round a corner and we found him sticking in a bush. All good though. Good run down the waterfall. I had to dab the last rock but only because everyone stopped. Continued on to Switzers, more good stuff. Afters Switzers would be new dirt for me. Exposed climbing/descending not knowing what to expect, the feeling of being out in the far. This is what makes it epic for me. Single track greatness doesn't hurt either. Unfortunately Kevin would pull and OTB at a G-out, Dave would sample some shrub (again), Ron would drop a 10' ledge without a bike. Thankfully all were okay, no injuries. Finally made it down to the river near the end of Ken Burton. Familiar dirt for me and Vince. We were all getting a little tired at this point. Through the riverbed, up around the little dam and down to JPL. Fun dh single track with multiple stream crossing's. I mentioned climbing Fern and dropping El Prieto but got no takers. Probably a good thing, I was beat. We all were beat. Great riding with @Tom the Bomb, @Old Skool, Dave, Adam, Ron, Kevin and the kid. Boom!

e3lubhgdxg8.jpg

e3lubhgdxg6.jpg

e3lubhgdxg5.jpg

e3lubhgdxg2.jpg

e3efiumgohef2.jpg

e3lubhgdxg.jpg

Screenshot (164).png

5. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Salsa/Trek/Kona
    ^ Great action shot!!! ^

6. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Addict

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    We don't have to travel far to get into the epic! Great pics!

7. Mikie

Mikie Admin/MTB Addict

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Yeti ASR5c, SC Hightower
    Okay............................................................................................ you guys officially SUCK! :stop:
    I am so jealous! That looks awesome!

I claim Re-Do!

This reminds me I got to get GoPro's back on my bike just for the action pic taking alone.
    Great write up and ride down!
    :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
    (I give it 5 Thumbs up!)

8. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    The write-ups are awesome... But that screen grab is crazy! Awesome stuff...

And, yeah, you guys suck.

9. Tom the Bomb

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9

Wow great shot of David! That looks a bit nasty. I did not know he dumped there!
    By the way I did not stop on the Waterfall. Cleaned baby!

10. Old Skool

Old Skool Member

Hacienda Hgts. (Turnbull Cyn. is My Backyard!)
    Name:
    Rick
    Current Bike:
    Pivot Mach 5.7 C (w/ 650b's)
    Now that was freaking epic day!! I was so beat down tired that I came home and did a face plant on the outside couch and passed out for 2 hours!:sleep:
    As Tom mentioned above, the intense focus req'd. to stay on a narrow, loose and exposed line (and also try to stay on the rear wheel of the TTB/GregO/David/Vince train) was intense, I was physically and mentally beat by the end and basically told GregO to go pound sandO when he started calling for some extra credit to go see the dam at Paul Little Picnic Area:stop: VinceO is in another league of his own and he and David were just blasting everything and throwing whips, hucks and charging everything, even on some very exposed and treacherous ST. If it was'nt for the good Lord placing some very strategically located bushes and trees, we might have been pulling David, the 'Michigan Mauler' out of some much deeper ravines! Love the action shot that VinceO caught of his OTE launch into the bush, it was a long freaking way down if that bush was not there! I always love these TTB adventures and trying to ride TTB's rear wheel is always the best part for me, sometimes I can hang and other times I get dropped, but that is the thrill for me!
    My friend Adam was not quite as impressed w/ the trail as we all were stoking on, I think the big exposure with no room for error was getting to him, my other buddy Ron was also pretty beat down, but as TTB noted, he is one tough dude! I'm still ticked off that I have not cleaned the 'waterfall' yet on the upper Gabrieleno, but was nevertheless stoked that I was able to clean most of the rest of the ride w/ no falls! (that's not like me:confused:) One of the other many highlights for me was taking off my helmet and camelback and laying face down in the stream in the wash to get my core temp. down, I definitely got a boost from that. What an adventure and demanding ride, just how they are supposed to be, right?:cool: Having some trouble uploading my pics, will do later at home.

11. ricke24

ricke24 Member

Name:
    RickE
    Current Bike:
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010C
    :eek: That last pic tells me not to get on that trail, my skills and fear of exposure are why I stay on the Floop most of the time.

12. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Addict

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    And live to ride another day!!!

13. Tom the Bomb

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    Good add on Rick! Yep that's the way they are supposed to be!

14. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    Amazing - and what a horrible place to fall. Thank God for bushes.

Exposure is exhausting to ride. I think @Old Skool's post did a great job of expressing the anxiety and mental energy it takes to ride where a slipped tire can be disastrous and life threatening.

15. rossage

rossage iMTB Addict

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Exposure, the Gabrielino has it.
    From the Bear Cyn split, the trail hugs the cliff with exposure/death drops on your left. All the while throwing rocks and drops and looseness at you. As you get deeper in the canyon, the trail switches sides and you get the right hand exposure just to keep it even.
    The Gabrielino from Switzers to JPL was the first real mountain bike ride I ever did, 1986 or 87. My intro to exposure was acute. Learn, or crash and learn.
    Great job on the ride and reportage.

16. Im Livin the Dream

Im Livin the Dream Member

Name:
    Ben Norman
    Current Bike:
    Jet 9 RDO
    Wow, that is awesome! I have ridden the strawberry peak loop but none of the others you mentioned I don't think. Looks like a rad ride! I'll have to keep my eyes on the trailhead section of this forum so maybe I can hit this up with you guys next time.

17. Old Skool

Old Skool Member

Hacienda Hgts. (Turnbull Cyn. is My Backyard!)
    Name:
    Rick
    Current Bike:
    Pivot Mach 5.7 C (w/ 650b's)
    Last add and caution...We went through a Sh#t load of PO on this ride, I did a good Simple Green wash-down/scrub, followed by a Tecnu Extreme scrub-down in the shower, still ended up w/ just a small patch of rash on my inside fore-arm, consider myself very fortunate. Hope my fellow riders (especially David!!;)) were also just as fortunate? Warning to anyone looking at this ride....lots of the red-devil leaves on this trail!!

18. luskie

luskie Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    Randall Loscutoff
    Current Bike:
    Piviot Mach 5.5
    Wow, great ride report. Missed good one for sure.

19. Grego

Grego Well-Known Member

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    Check out the goods. Vincent's POV following David and @Tom the Bomb. Sketchy!

ricke24, Jurven240z, Mikie and 10 others like this.
  20. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Pick one, got a few
    Oh my that was good stuff:thumbsup:...

Grego, Mikie, Old&InTheWay and 2 others like this.
  21. rossage

rossage iMTB Addict

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Most excellent video. Love the comentary...

Grego, Mikie, Luis and 3 others like this.
  22. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dennis (AKA Dio)
    Current Bike:
    2013 Trek Slash 9 (26er)
    Fatigue is not an option out there! That’s Baaaallllzzzzzz baby!

Tom the Bomb, Grego, Mikie and 6 others like this.
  23. Tom the Bomb

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    Oh yah Vince nice video. Some awesome mtb there! I like the POV in the front of your helmet!
    "Got the Moves Like Jaggar"!

Grego, Mikie, Luis and 6 others like this.
  24. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    Awesome! DIdn't have time to view it all yet, but watched the critical first few minutes.

The narrator's voice (Vince) sounds like mine. It kind of freaked me out once or twice. "Wait, I don't remember doing this..."

And that exposure - I've read about it, seen photos, but seeing it in this video gives me serious anxiety. I thought The Luge was exposed - and it sort of is, but the trail itself is wide and stable. These San Gabes trails are no joke when it comes to steep sides and narrow, slippery and even non-existent trail segments. I'm not sure I could actually conquer my own anxieties with that kind of exposure. Maybe you get used to it? Even sections of Boy Scout a couple of weeks ago made me nervous and apprehensive.

And wow, did David get lucky. :thumbsup:

Tom the Bomb, Grego, ricke24 and 9 others like this.
  25. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Salsa/Trek/Kona
    Extreme exposure is the norm in the San Gabes. We who ride it have got bigballz.

Tom the Bomb, Grego, ricke24 and 4 others like this.
  26. Cisco Roots

Cisco Roots Well-Known Member

Name:
    Cisco
    Current Bike:
    YT Jeffsy 29
    Awesome video! Brings back good memories of that trail and the dudes I rode w there.

That lefty fork pulled him too far left and off the trail! Yeah @herzalot that trail has some serious exposure. Good thing he went down there! I’ve clipped the mountain with my right bar and it sent me left straight off the trail at speed. Luckily there was a bush there to stop me but just a few feet forward and there was nothing but exposure.

Tom the Bomb, Grego, Mikie and 5 others like this.
  27. rossage

rossage iMTB Addict

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Always seems like there is a bush or tree or rock that stops the death-drop. Gravity plays a part-unless you are really moving, you're just gonna dirt sample right there.
    I ride Strawberry weekly and most often solo. The exposure doesn't bother me, but if I feel a twinge of doubt I will walk a section. I guess you get used to it. I did.
    Out here in the San Gabes we ride the edge.
    We have no choice.

UPSed, Tom the Bomb, herzalot and 9 others like this.
  28. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ Well-Known Member

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Specy Epic and Stumpy
    This right here for any type of riding.

UPSed, Stkx66, Mikie and 3 others like this.
  29. Luis

Luis iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    Big Black 29er
    Great stuff :thumbsup:
    So much for my element of surprise if I wanna invite you guys/gals that have never done this ride :ninja:;)
    Of course the video didn’t show the exposure on the way up from the meadow :sneaky::speechless:
    I do like David’s attitude. Fall down, get up, dust off, keep riding at the front of the group :thumbsup:

UPSed, Tom the Bomb, herzalot and 5 others like this.
  30. Mikie

Mikie Admin/MTB Addict

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Yeti ASR5c, SC Hightower
    That Video... ROCKED!
    I'm digging Vince's commentary. That is stepping up to the next level.
    All, go visit Vince the Trail Slayers YouTube Channel! Give the Kid Rockstah some love!

Now I want to go do the ride even more!!!!

Tom the Bomb, herzalot, Grego and 2 others like this.