The Bomb Squad Road Trip Ohhh Yah!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by Tom the Bomb, Jan 8, 2020.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    The Bomb Squad’s GPS coordinate……….Tucson!

Rossage, Hillbilly and I had been throwing around the idea of a road trip and we finally settled on a date. Unfortunately Rossage would not end up making the trip due to some urgent family matters. Soooo Hillbilly and I began the search for lodging in the area with Doug finding a sweet condo in a nice quiet private community. Doug met me at my place, we loaded up the Bomb Squad mobile and we were on the road. About 8 hours later we arrive at the condo unload and settle in for 5 nights and 4 days of our road trip. The weather was looking good with highs in the low 60s and since there were just the two of us we saw no need to get up at the crack of dawn and ride in low 40 early morning temps.

Day one we would get a feel for the locale and hit the 50 year trail Middle gate loop. I had learned through past trips that if you can find a local to show you the goods you will usually get the best the area has to offer and that is exactly what we did. Andrew would be our guide through this wonderful single track in the desert. New dirt baby and we were stoked. Lotsa twisty windy trail with fun little lifts, drops and pops to keep you grinning. A word of caution that immediately came to our attention. Do not touch anything bordering this trail! It will stick you , stab you and make you cry! Lots of prickly, sticky, pokey plants that are there to make sure you stay on trail. Andrew was a good rider and new the route well so we got a first class ride. No mechanicals , no crashes and a successful run at the 50 year Trail.

That night at dinner we were ready to turn it up a notch. I had been prepping Doug on the epicness of South Mountain and he said lets do it!

I dropped Mike O. a text, we worked out a route and he had his GG ready to go before we got off the phone! Mormon, National, Holbert, up the road to National and dowwwwwwwwn baby!

Day 2 we pull into the lot and meet Mike and up we go. Lotsa techy climbing, tricky switchys , just steep enough to keep luring you up the mountain. We get to the top, grab a bite and over to Holbert. Now the chit gets serious! Duuuuude! Way serious! This trail rocks, I mean big rocks. It was a challenge to say the least. Mike and I both sampled dirt (I mean rock) but luckily no bad results. We bounced and bobbed and dropped from one section to the next . It felt like the trail was 3 time longer than what it was. Relentless tech! Crazy stuff! We had a blast taking turns showing each other how to do it. Turns out Mike had the biggest set of balls. He cleaned some nasty chit! At the bottom we refuel a bit , and let the stoke settle back down. Up the road we go to the Buena Vista lookout to finish the goods on National. Well you know what is on National about a quarter mile in? The famous Waterfall! This spot is not for the faint of heart. You either are all in or you are in trouble. Mike has his line dialed and starts his roll in off a high side ridge, slides into a rut tightens up the butt cheeks and nails it. I come in off the right and see my line and roll through.
    Doug was not sure right from the first sight when we climbed past it on the way up. He pretty much had decided he was gonna pass coming down. Nooooooootttttt! He took his time scoping the lines and roll ups. 1st attempt and he gets half way through and stops on a ledge. Mike slaps him on the back and says “you had it man now get your azz back up there and dooooooo iiiiiiiiit!” It looked like he was confident now and bambam drop and pop with a little nose wheelly to boot! Yaaaaaayah! Success!
    On we go hootin and whoopin the rest of the way down hot on Mike’s tail, all good and full of stoke back to the car. What a route! Kudos to Doug for getting through. Mike and I had been down National before but this was Doug’s first time to S.M. and he killed it! Fist bumps, pics, hugs and we are back on the road to the condo.

Day 3 was to be back at 50 year trail and bag the upper loop of Upper Cherry tank , Cowboy slick rock and finish with Middlegate.

We had heard this route had some good tech with some very cool boulder rolls. We would not be disappointed. We hook up with a couple local riders Czar and Jason. We chased czar all day, this guy could get after it. He had all the best lines and trickiest routes. We had a blast in addition to the amazing views and you guessed it even more cactus! We were cleaning all the goods and then it started to catch up to me. You know when you start to get the flow and get a little cocky? Yep I swooped a corner and felt something hook my jersey sleeve, ripped a hole right in it but luckily no blood. 20 min later something hooks my bandana and tries to rip it right out from under my helmet. Whew, that was close. No cuts no blood. 100 yards further down the trail we are motatin though the back side and bam a huge bottle brush cactus bounces off my helmet narrowly missing my cheek! Ok getting a bit to cocky so I backed it off a bit. Thankful for the near misses we finish out the rest with no issues and a great ride with some cool local dudes.

Day 4 would be a finish with some sweet mellow single track out on the Honeybee Preserve. This is a great place to ratchet up the gears and get some high speed pedalling in. A pretty flat area where the trails run for miles. We had a blast just railing through this area and it was very close to the condo.

We had a great time with much more to explore. We did not hit The Lemmon drop which is definitely on the return list. The weather was perfect, the accommodations first class only minor crashes and no mechanicals.

Balllllllllz Baby, we will be back!

TTB

IMG_1171.jpg

IMG_1178.jpg

IMG_1179.jpg

IMG_1182.jpg

IMG_1161.jpg

IMG_1162.jpg

IMG_1163.jpg

IMG_1165.jpg

IMG_1166.jpg

IMG_1167.jpg

IMG_1168.jpg

IMG_1169.jpg

IMG_1157.JPG

IMG_1147.JPG

IMG_1148.JPG

IMG_1150.JPG

IMG_1151.JPG

IMG_1153.JPG

IMG_5349.jpg

IMG_1131.JPG

IMG_1132.JPG

IMG_1133.JPG

IMG_1134.JPG

IMG_1135.JPG

2. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    Vendetta/Smash
    Road trip clinic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! TFPU, Tom. :thumbsup:

Our SoMo romp was one of my most memorable rides of 2019. Props to you and @hill^billy for making it happen! Until next time... :)

PS: Love the pigs!

3. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    PV3 & FEX
    Wow, I can feel the fun through the pics!!! :cool:

4. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Missed out on a good one...Next time.:thumbsup:

5. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    hill^billy
    I'll start by saying Ross you were sorely missed, but it's understood. Also let me apologize for my complete fail of forgetting my go pro for South Mountain, I will be kicking myself in the balls for a long time for not documenting the highlight of the trip!!!!!!!!!! South Mountain!!!!!
    Well for me this was one of those trips that is etched! As I said before our team was solid, but quite lucky considering what was ridden, those couple of over the bar moments that for both, I had a front row seat. Mike's OTB is etched because I had chose not to roll the all rock, one place to pinpoint the front wheel at perfect slow motion speed switchback that lead right into a steep rock shoot which he fell down on with a thud that even I felt! It was an oh Sh!t moment for me.
    As soon as he determined he could stand, he snatched up his bike and proceeded to give me a clinic on tenacity that lead to his success! If I recall he made it on the third try. This moment would come into play later on the National Trail for me.
    Holbert is hands down the craziest trail I have ever ridden, I would say I rode most of it and opted out of what I thought would break me.
    It's been quite awhile since I have felt good, strong and ready to take on a ride like this, and with strong bombers like these guys!
    As Tom mentioned I talked myself completely out of rolling down the waterfall after looking at all three lines, told them I wasn't going to do it, no way! That was before Holbert, Holbert set me up for the water fall. I got to the waterfall first, got off my bike to watch Mike make it look easy, and then Tom made it look easy, both taking different lines. I was so caught up in the moment that I did not take video? I feel bad about that!
    Anyway I don't believe I am exaggerating when I say the waterfall is really intimidating , this brings to mind that Mike had said his lady cleaned it, I would like to ride with her some day? My first attempt I failed but managed to stay off the ground. After seeing the boys make it look easy, also Mike ordering me back up to do it again, I thought of Mike's clinic so I cleaned it, needless to say I am pretty stoked that I made it down the falls, craziest thing I've done on a bike!
    I would not normally post my own video but I'm proud of this one.

As for the rest of our rides they were great, but did not compare to South Mountain.
    Still had a good time on the other rides with the bomb but the one ride was a little choppy with the local Zarr stopping at everything to explain what it was, although without him we may have gotten lost and not have done as much, none the less we still had fun! Got some vid of that stuff.
    I will post up another vid when it’s finished.

Luis, evdog, Sassyquatch and 14 others like this.
  6. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 SC Megaplower
    Great stuff. Thanks for posting! :thumbsup: :cool:

7. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    Vendetta/Smash
    @hill^billy, sweet vids, man. TFPU! :thumbsup: You were way solid!

Two of the best MTB moments of '19 for me...the weez and the h^b sending National Waterfall after grappling with intimidation. Skill, focus and a little bit of aggression...you two both made the perfect cocktail for success. Pure stoke and amazing riding, I say. :geek::thumbsup:

8. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    2 SC and a STDM
    That's great and all, but next time someone sees @mike , could you tie him up and throw him in the truck? Just bring him back to Socal for a little visit. We'll let him go after that... :D

Awesome reports, Guys... Freaking fun just to read and watch!

9. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    Vendetta/Smash
    :laugh: I’d put up token resistance. :cool: More CA and less elsewhere could be in my future...

First...another SoMo ride. :cautious::thumbsup: Week of 1/19 I’ll be nearby. So if you’re bummed you missed the Holbert-Natty ride, ping me and let’s carve out a time for a ride. Midweek is ideal; I’m flexible on timing and the route.

10. Tom the Bomb

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    Mike you hit Kiwanis yet? Been a long time since I hit that one.

Sassyquatch, mike and hill^billy like this.
  11. Tom the Bomb

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    Nice @hillbilly. thanks.

Sassyquatch, mike and hill^billy like this.
  12. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    Vendetta/Smash
    I'll take that as a TTB Reco™ :thumbsup: I have not done it. Hmm... :)

13. Tom the Bomb

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    Similar to Holbert from what I remember a little more flow.:geek:

Sassyquatch, mike and herzalot like this.
  14. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    hill^billy
  15. scan

scan Well-Known Member

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    NICE!!

Tom the Bomb and mike like this.
  16. Sassyquatch

Sassyquatch Well-Known Member

Name:
    Sam
    Love seeing this stuff...got some meetings in Scottsdale last week of Feb and hoping to get out for some of the above goodness w Smashy...maybe some Sedona action if the stars align....

17. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    Vendetta/Smash
    Tom the Bomb and DangerDirtyD like this.
  18. Sassyquatch

Sassyquatch Well-Known Member

Name:
    Sam

Mini GG meetup! I’m down!

Tom the Bomb, DangerDirtyD and mike like this.
  19. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    Vendetta/Smash
    I'm into it, Sam! Keep me posted on your available day(s) and I'll plan to be there.

The ride we did in the OP would make a better weekday outing because of the 7-mi road section back up. It's a terrible road for bike-car sharing but almost no traffic on weekdays. Lots of options, though. Holbert and east Natty in one ride will be hard to beat for a technical extravaganza, I think, but check out Geronimo, too. I'd call it as hard as Holbert. A bunch of obscure stuff also, check Trailforks. AYE!!!! :thumbsup:

Want to donate to imtbtrails?