The bomb squad is back!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by Tom the Bomb, Mar 4, 2014.

1. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb Well-Known Member

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    Ohhh myyyyyyyy! Baaaaaalllllls baby. The Paaaaaaalm Caaaaaaaanyon Epic at its finest!
    Of course it never could have happened without my Mtb buddies!
    Tuesday I was mulling around wondering if the rain was ever going to stop, thinking I might have to go to Palm Springs to get my weekly knobby fix and a text comes through from off the edge, out of control, you’ll never drop me, one of the Doobie Brothers Dennis! Those of you that know Dennis know exactly what I am talking about ☺. I think Dennis likes riding the PCE more that I do. Nooooot!! Of course he has done all the meteorology and figures it is going to be.... Melache baby! He’s got the moves like Jaggar, got the moves like Jaggar! HaaHaaa. You had to be there. So we start the logistics. Do you have a shuttle driver? Ya, but turns out he is a spoiled, cash sucking, opportunist that thinks he can take advantage of addicted mountain bikers that have to get there ride fix at any cost to make his fortune. We have news for him, keep your fat opportunistic ass on the couch and stay broke Faucker cuze we have imtbtrails and str resources baby! I make some urgent gotta act now phone calls and voila we are in. Now only if the weather holds out we will be in the dirt. Thursday rain, Friday heavier rain, Saturday rain everywhere. Palm Springs has flash flood warnings. I remember seeing the canyon washes waist high in water, with guys crossing, bikes overhead and freezing for the next 20 miles. Sunday 50% chance of rain at Mountain Center and no rain in Palm Desert, temp at 71 deg. Yes! I send out the invites get the trailer confirmed, (bummer T-2 could not make it. Seems like every time I steal his trailer he can never make it) get the bike and wardrobe ready and head over to Tom’s to get the trailer.
    If you remember it was still raining Saturday night . I get to Tom’s for the hookup. His backyard backs up to an alley way with a quarter acre of open land behind his house on a gentle slope towards the dirt alley . I start driving up to turn parallel to the house and start to spin. Ohh a little soft hmmm. Back up move over pull up some more spinning again, hmmm. Go to backup again, spinning, uh-oh. Tom comes out says I am up to the axle in mud! Piss! Turns out his back yard drains right where I was driving up. After numerous boards, digging and spinning we finally get out but not without you guessed it spraying his mug with mud in the process. I had to laugh! Thankfully he laughed with me, what a guy. The stuff we do to ride. We decide to pull the trailer out by hand and with the aid of T.J. we are hooked up and good to go. Whew, are we there yet!
    Pat and Ian show up at 6:15 we head over to Ont. Mills to pickup Greg, Dennis, Danny and Derek. Off we go driving straight into the black clouds to the East. After about an hour we emerge from the cloud cover and are greeted with sparse clouds and suuuuuuuuun! Sweeeeet! The shuttle driver jumps in, we stop to tap a kidney at Mickey D’s and of course Dennis has to eat. Reload and arrive at Pine rd. the upper entrance to the Pce. Temp 50, partially cloudy ,lock and load and ready to rumble.
    Now if you read the last Pce. Report the ride was great including the Crazy Bear Shuttle but Jeff had 6 flats and 3 others flatted, making the ride a little looooooong! Everyone got fair warning, no skinny tired bikes and lotsa stans behind the rubber! This ain’t gonna be no floater ride. (See Ian, told you you were good ☺) All 7 badass riders hit the trail with primo conditions. Melache baby! Swooping and railing, dodging cacti, up and down, barreling through the rocks and ruts, we stop at about mile 6 and regroup for a bar. Danny gets off the bike checking the rear derailleur and sees that the cable is sheared off. Says it happened a few miles back but no biggy I am not going to be the heal of this epic! What a guy, he knows what its all about and a great rider to. You rock Danny. We zip tie the cage up so he is in the middle cog and he has 2 gears to work with. After about 3 miles we run into a group we had been exchanging leads with and he offers a cable to Danny but he declines the offer and says he’s good. Later he admits he shoulda accepted but oh well. We get to the wash in record time , huffing and puffing, smiles a mile wide, Yaaa baby! The only way to ride that last section is fast and the pace was hot! If you remember there is a double track section that is down hill, fast and littered with babies heads and rutts. We were bombing through there so fast my eyes were watering, I don’t know how I held it together!
    We are now at the wash and ya Danny has to ride that thing without a granny, bummer. He pushes on and we get through fairly quickly , even with the rain it is still tough but a bit firmer than usual. Dennis gets stuck as I pass him and mutters something about beat you to the dozer! Ha you should not of said that. Found my secret s/t paralleling the sand and I was gone. No Dennis to be found as I motor into the oasis. Maybe next time buddy! Yaaya! Turns out he would get his revenge, stay tuned. After refueling and buzzing over the last 16 miles of heaven along with near misses and almost crashes it’s up to Hans for the bikercross d/h. Here we gooooooo! This is what everyone rides Pce for! Dennis mutters another beat your ass to the bottom phrase but he made a big mistake. I’m out front! Duuuude! We hauled the mail baby, kicken ass and taken names. Dennis loves to suck up to your tire and press your ass all the way so I twisted the throttle to the max and stretched it out! I would not say I dropped him by any means though, this guy can ride! Knuckle bumps all around what a rush. When was the last time you rode with 7 and everyone is within a couple seconds of each other. Awesome. And no flats so far! The climb out to Dunn was uneventful but I could feel the legs starting to buzz. A couple of us had to drop some endurolites and mustard to ease the pain, all good. Down Dunn to the turnoff to the ridge line ride. This is the toughest part of the ride with some steep climbing up to a high ridge and this is where Dennis gets his revenge…. At this stage of the ride we are in survival mode just getting to the top with a bit of energy to spare so we can rail the north side of the goat trails home. Frieken Dennis has a safety break, downs a gu, kick starts his motor and hammers up the whole thing! He leaves are dragging asses in his dust. We get to the top and Ian wants to know what the hell was in that bowl? Danny says something about high, Dennis chuckles and points to his legs, says second wind and jets down the ridge with all in hot pursuit. With a tight line of expert riders we navigate the last 2 miles of chunky, flow into and through the north goat trails out to 111 and back to to the trailer. Wow, what a ride, you know its good when you look at everyone and they have that look on there faces like what the hell did we just do? Palm Canyon Epic baby! Ballzzzzz!

Kudos to Danny for finishing with 2 gears and never a whimper. New to the trail Ian and Derek. Greg, Pat with no superman's and his toothy smile back. He healed up quick from the San Juan endo. And Dennis got his revenge! One of the best PCE rides I have ever had.
    Thanks guys,
    Till the next one,
    Tom the Bomb over and out!

Palm_Canyon_14.jpg

Palm_Canyon_13.jpg

Palm_Canyon_12.jpg

Palm_Canyon_11.jpg

Palm_Canyon_10.jpg

Palm_Canyon_09.jpg

Palm_Canyon_08.jpg

Palm_Canyon_07.jpg

Palm_Canyon_06.jpg

Palm_Canyon_5.jpg

Palm_Canyon_04.jpg

Palm_Canyon_03.jpg

Palm_Canyon_02.jpg

Palm_Canyon_01.jpg

2. El_dano

El_dano Newbie

Name:
    Danny
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz nickel
    Great review tom the bomb. Great ride. You forgot to mention the old dude on the 80lbs foes that killed it! That dude was unreal

DangerDirtyD likes this.
  3. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower/Yeti 5C
    Wow Tom the Bomb! I didn't know that you KNEW that many words!?!?!? You mustuh still been all strung out on adrenaline when you wrote this. I couldn't read it fast enough. Felt. Like I rode with you guys. Next time a wrecking crew goes on adventure at THAT pace, I GOTTA GO!

Great write up! Makes me want to be there!

Wut up wit duh pics? Lemme know if I can help MAC-Boy!!!
    Excellent Ride Report!!!

~Mikie

4. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    GU Roctane, baby! That's the magic ingredient....and the Department of Safety in session!

Could we have asked for better riding conditions!!? Well, maybe a little tailwind through Rock Canyon (Death March Wash) wouldn't hurt, but I dont think anyone without a motor strapped to his bike could have caught TomTheBomb (AKA Sensi, AKA Xijan) on this one.

5. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Yeah-another stream of consciousness spilled onto the keyboard. :D

Told you there ain't nothing like a little "medicine" to help out on the trails. :cool:

6. Tom the Bomb

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    Ya that guy just kept motoring along. tough dude and he just did it on Friday too!

7. Tom the Bomb

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    I do not know will try on the pc. Would have been great to have you Ross and Doug.

8. Tom the Bomb

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    Awesome ride buddy.
    (Sen sei, Shi han) :cool:

9. Tom the Bomb

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    I get inspired once in a while, only after riding though :geek:

10. imtbtrails

imtbtrails Guest

Feegured out your crazy azz Macintosh secret code pics maze and "weeded" (<--dude) pics and put them in PC language. I hope I got them in the right order for you. Yeah . . . . I'm a good dude... :cool:

11. Tom the Bomb

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    Mikey you are da man . The shin scrape is from my pedal. New shoes missed a click in. You are good Mikey.

12. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash
    Nice one, TtB and all! Way to get it Dunn...

Hey, Tom, allegedly there's some other OC rider who goes by the TtB moniker. I think he's a bit younger than you, so, time to assert some seniority!

13. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower/Yeti 5C
    There's only one Tom the Bomb . . . . Control? Call in the trail snipers...

14. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    For the record, the MonkeyPiss crew recognizes only one TtB, AKA Sen sei, AKA Shi han. He has been a mythical figure throughout the San Gabriel Mountains for as long as I've been riding, and his legacy reaches far beyond the Transverse Ranges! Special K, TheRossage, and Hi5 crews can testify! Now...if we could only catch that FAHqer!

IMG-20130202-00069.jpg

10-10-13_Only_A_Dream.jpg

Cathedral_City-Palm_Desert-20140302-00388.jpg

SturtevantTrail2.jpg

15. Tom the Bomb

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    No way how is that possible?
    I must meet this masked man!