The Bomb Squad fly's into Palm Canyon

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by Tom the Bomb, Nov 23, 2018.

1. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb Well-Known Member

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    The Bomb Squad fly's into Palm Canyon.

Ross, Mikie and Voodoo meet at my place and we carpool out to Vons where we meet Triple D, Oldschool, Adam, Oc Mark and his group . We load up in a bit of a rush on the Crazy Bear shuttle and guess what ? I left the pink panties in my bag! Pissr! Oh well next time. Xavier makes a couple more stops along the way to pick up a few more shuttle riders and we arrive at the drop off shortly after. Unloading looked as busy as I have ever seen. Crazy Bear had 3 vans running and all full. It was a pleasure to see Clinky and Kenton since I have not seen them in a loooong time.

Temps were to be a high of 76, as it would turn out it would not be to be to bad at all.

We dive bomb into the start full of stoke and fully amped, haulin the mail baby. That top section is sooooo fun. There are quite a few new doubles with one having a big boulder as a landing transition. Not for me. I hit a couple and rounded the rest. We climb out from the stream and proceed to hammer to the wash. In route we hit all the favorite sections slinging dirt and rearranging the furniture. In one steep off camber rocky section I saved a flying W that would have been a nasty crash. All good with the save though. Oldschool would have his best run through it as he normally samples dirt in this section.

We buzz into the wash with Mikie and Ross leading out with the rest of us close behind. Up to the Oasis for some grub with lots of Turkey fixins pulled out for fuel.

On to Hans we go. I lead out and it was a screamin mail delivery service !. Dan could hear us hootin and whoopin it up all the way down. The trail was in its usual condition , loose and rocky! We were railing on the ragged edge! I swore I was going off the edge a couple times. Everyone I know bags on Ardents but I lovem. They have hooked up and saved my bacon many times!

We then climb out to Dunn, zip down to the connector to Wild horse and push the techy climb up to the top of the ridge. As we are climbing up we cross paths with a 3 guys coming down and guess who I see? Steve AKA Aquaholic! Funny thing I had just been thinking about him and was wondering if he was still riding! Way cool. The Danimal then leads us on a happy ending through the goat trails, to the water tower and a superman finish which was AWESOME CHUNKY GOODNESS!

Back at the Bomber mobile we pack up and hit Rubios for some much deserved PCE tasties.

An hour and a half later we are back home and lovin the stoke!

Mikie broke a chain, Adam ripped a tire but that was the extent of the mechanicals. A few oh Sh@t moments a few knuckle scrapes, a couple cacti engagements and a lot of cat claw scratches. We all had blood. At one point I thought I had ripped open my arm as I got caught by the thorny flesh ripping bush and it just about pulled me over. And that was with pads on! Seemed to be much more of it than usual.

All the Bombers bombed it today! A great ride and wonderful group. I am so thankful to have such good friends!

No pics as I thought everyone else was clicking with 2 go pros hooked up. Turns out all had battery issues. Hopefully someone got something.
    28.2 and 2812 felt like 6000!

Happy Thanks giving All, enjoy the feast!

TTB

~JB~, luskie, FizzyCola and 29 others like this.
  2. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Smash
    Reads like a perfect day. TFPU!!! Nice ride, guys!!!

3. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 Times SC, Oh My.
    All right, all right... You done good! It's at least a tie with the overseas report from @Lost Kiwi ! :D I can't wait to hear what the others have to say. :thumbsup:

Tom the Bomb, mtnbikej, Mikie and 7 others like this.
  4. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Sara Ford
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    Sounds like a blast! Glad you guys had fun with no major injuries! I’ll be ready for this one next yr:thumbsup:

5. rossage

rossage iMTB Addict

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    I think the Canadians were the only ones taking pictures...

Jumped into the shuttle van and sat down next to Craig-@calepic, haven't seen him in a long time. Didn't see him on the trail.

Right from the start, I knew blood would be shed because the trail was fast. Loose, fast, dry, and sandy. The cat-claw was in early season sharpness, the cholla is making a comeback. All of us left our DNA out there...@danimal was the top bleeder, with an off-trail excursion into the cat-claw that left him looking like he tried to bathe a cat!

I blew a loose corner and literally kicked a cactus as I rolled through. I knew I got stuck but I didn't dare remove my sock-because it was pinned on! Not a cholla, but I now have 4 itchy pin pricks on my ankle. And as @CBone said, there's probably more.

At one of the innumerable down/up drainage crossings, there was a left-side roller into the transition. Unfortunately, my speed and the loose traction had me set up wrong, I over-corrected and went right... 3ft straight down into the sand... But I didn't crash. Might as well of. I bottomed out my 120mm fork and stuffed my saddle into my liver. Still feeling that one this am.

Once we passed the gate at mile 6 or so, we hit the long, fast, loose, rocky, section down to the Potrero split. This section is downright dangerous fun! Hoots and hollers down the canyon...
    As we waited at the trail split, mile 10, @Danimal looks down at my bike on the ground and says, "You're on a hardtail!"
    Thanks for reminding me.

After I hit a creosote bush on the Hans downhill I decided to reel it in a little.

After the re-group on Dunn road, it was a visual feast as 8 of us rolled through the desert in a dusty blur of whirring gears and smack talk-awesome!

I thought the Wildhorse switchies were the last real tech challenge but @Danimal had an exit planned that surprised everyone. Within sight of the Vons, he steers us onto "Superman" and man, it was good. The steepness of the Boulder-filled rut and the psycho switchy at the end was the perfect end for the ride.

Rubio's fish tacos took care of the post-ride hunger.

Special thanks to my good friend, @Tom the Bomb for lining this up and driving from Rancho. This is one Black Friday tradition I can really get into. And thanks to @Danimal for the local trail knowledge and promises of more...

Get some!

6. Danimal

Danimal Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Rocky Mountain Altitude
    Nice RR!
    Much as I'd like to have been there, the danimal of which they write is not me. But with no photos to prove anything actually happened.... :whistling:

7. rossage

rossage iMTB Addict

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Well then, who was that guy? Does anyone know him? Or... was he even real? Or just just an apparition? A gift from the Cahuilla to guide us?
    Nah, just a cool dude on an mtb.

8. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    A conjuring? :eek:

9. rossage

rossage iMTB Addict

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Just pulled these out of my tires... Not my ankle! Sealed immediately by Orange Seal.
    IMG_20181124_080229.jpg

10. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower/Yeti 5C
    Even my worst day of mountain biking is better than my best day at work. So how can I complain about a day with the Bomb Squad doing the Palm Canyon Epic! Yet I had "some" frustrations. All of which were technical. :(

Right off the bat my GoPro was malfunctioning. It's a GoPro Hero 3 Black edition and I have never really been happy with it. I like the concept of the GoPro Sessions. One button. On. Off. Simple. If I want to take a picture I'll use a regular camera. Today's anomaly believe it or not was NOT the camera, but the camera case! The Start/Stop button after you hit the On/Off button was actually "sticking" engaged. In other words you push the button and it would be stuck down. So after a minutes and 3 seconds it would think you were turning it off!:mad: Didn't figure that out until nearly the end of the ride and could do nothing about it anyway. So I got nothing! I REALLY wanted to capture the day and get back in to doing videos.

I only took a few pics as it was a fast day. That technical is something you just don't stop in the middle of to turn around and take action pics.

The second wahhh is my Supah Bike Hightower was shifting funny which eventually ended in breaking my chain. Thank the Lord above that Tom the Bomb forgot the pink panties! Even after fixing it it was not shifting well. @rossage messed with it and got it much better after the Dozer stop on Hahn Trail. And... yes, I have one more... My head tube was creaking like a haunted house. I tightened it, it went away, then came back. So I'm thinking it was the Saturday on Horn Trail that beat my bike up and I did not catch it in my bike prep...

Okay! Now that my bitching is out of the way...:rolleyes:

upload_2018-11-24_9-36-43.png
    What an awesome day of riding! The trail was loose and fast. The technical seemed more technical and the weapon of choice in my opinion was a Santa Cruz 27.5 Hightower. That is, if you went to plow technical and have fun fun fun! And fun we had! I'm not a big group guy on rides like this, and I can't remember how many were "actually" in our group at the start, I'm thinking 15 was the number :eek:... But a faction of that said no worries about them, they knew the way. So we pretty much ended up at 8 Bombers. That even got strung out a couple of times. If there were crashes, I never saw any. Anyone in front of or behind me certainly held their own on the crazy stuff. But there was plenty of blood! MAN! I wish my GoPro worked!

@rossage continues to be the man of the ride in my opinion riding a hardtail! :notworthy:
    We would get done with a crazy section and I would be feeling good about myself, then look over to see Ross sitting on his Chisel. Wow! What a rider!

It's all been said, and even though I sound bitchy, I thoroughly had an awesome day. How can you not when you are in the Bomb Squad? Mechanicals are a downer no matter how you look at them.

Everyone rode like a champ! Fish Taco's at Rubio's with 2 dollar beer's afterwards never tasted so good!

Blurry because of low light. The meet before the meet. Loading up the Blast Mobile at Tom the Bombs. Rossage, Tom the Bomb, and Voodoo Tom.
    DSCF2586.jpg

@Old Skool (Rick) and Adam
    DSCF2588.jpg

@Voodoo Tom and @rossage
    DSCF2589.jpg

@DangerDirtyD and the imposter @Danimal ... You know... I was confused about that from the beginning. One, I have met Danimal and this guy never really acknowledged me, and two, Tom the Bomb said he was a local and I know that the "REAL" Danimal lives in the OC.

DSCF2591.jpg

@Tom the Bomb . What more needs to be said...
    DSCF2590.jpg

The Dozer Break area after the Sand Wash Climb. I followed Ross up the sand wash. Him on his hardtail and me on my Sherman Tank. It was work and I asked him to slow down a couple of times so I could hang.
    DSCF2594.jpg

Hmmm. A familiar site on the Palm Canyon Epic. Triple D hit the ground "again" this time after a Safety Break. He thinks we are going to make an imtbtrails Calendar so he often does these poses. When we pulled up at Vons for the shuttle he was jumping up and down like a Jack Russell Terrier when he saw us!

DSCF2595.jpg

Hahn Trail. At the top ready to bomb it. The "other" Danimal which I will now call Dan had already dropped. This has been a traditional photo spot for at least me since the first year I rode PCE. From left to right:
    Voodoo Tom, OldSkool, Rossage, Tom the Bomb, Adam, and Danger Dirty D

DSCF2596.jpg

Swap of the Camera Man. Tom the Bomb took a pic adding some guy off to the left...
    DSCF2599.jpg

The weather was absolutely perfect and so was the roster. What was really nice was the long drive home traffic was really good! In fact, Voodoo and I almost missed the freeway change in Pasadena as we were flying and chattering like school girls about the day! When I transferred my stuff at Voodoo's I actually stopped at El Pollo Loco and got two Tamales for the drive home. Was just hungry I guess. When I got to Gorman it was misting rain and did that all the way home.

Another Epic under the belt!
    It was great to hit the trail with these guys again. Great to see Rick and Adam and ride with the crazy Triple D, Tom the Bomb "IS" the Bomb, and Ross is no less than amazing. Voodoo is well... Voodoo Tom! I'm so lucky to have such a great rider live in Canada who I get to ride with almost every weekend! We go and do anything that has adventure possibly in the name. For me... Life is pretty good! :thumbsup:

~JB~, Fueledbyex8, luskie and 24 others like this.
  11. rossage

rossage iMTB Addict

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
  12. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    I can do that!

13. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Actually be easier to Photoshop me in the first one...

14. CalEpic

CalEpic Member

Name:
    Craig
    It was good to see you guys at the start. Our group of 6 hung back, played around on the jumps for a bit, then enjoyed a beautiful day out there. I was thinking that it didn't rain in the desert, and the sand wash would be a day at the beach, but it turned out to be nice and packed down along with a gentle, cool breeze for the 3 mile slog. Our original plan was to hit HBV which we did, over to Dunn and back up the Oasis to finish with Art Johnson. Once we made it back to Dunn, there weren't enough takers for the climb back up so we finished with Cindy's (Cathedral Canyon). No mechanicals and no blood, so it ended up being a perfect day on one of my favorite trails.

15. Old Skool

Old Skool Member

Hacienda Hgts. (Turnbull Cyn. is My Backyard!)
    Name:
    Rick
    Current Bike:
    Pivot Mach 5.7 C (w/ 650b's)
    I did not get too many action shots, but below are a few of the pics that I took. I have to say, that as tired as I was when I got home, I could not sleep last night, as I was reliving all the stoke we had on PCE yesterday. What fun and fast group, we were all pretty jacked up at the start and probably hit the trail at an incredible pace, I finally had to stop and let my heart rate slow a bit! As TTB mentioned above, I was extra stoked when ANaz, Mikie and I charged through the chunk on that techy section on Indian Potrero that I rarely clean, not this time though, all three of us carried a good pace and aced it, lots of whoops coming out of me after that section. another highlight was Hahn Buena Vista, always one of the best sections, TTB headed out first followed by Dennis, Ross, then me. Mikie was having some GoPro issues and shoved off a little behind the lead group. Our front group of four were WFO down this sketchy narrow ST, I looked back at one of the switchbacks and there was no one to be seen. we continued to drop the hammer and Rossage had a small bobble that broke the flow a bit and on re-starting, freaking Mikie was right on my tail! Where the hell did he come from I was thinking, dude made up some serious gap on us, and we were moving pretty darn good. props to you on that one Mikie. Not too many action pics this time, but here is what I shot:
    IMG_4316.jpg IMG_4317.jpg
    IMG_4322 (1).jpg IMG_4321.jpg
    IMG_4329.jpg
    Dennis after a little dose of 'medicine' from Dr. Ross
    IMG_4331.jpg

~JB~, Fueledbyex8, luskie and 18 others like this.
  16. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2013 Trek Slash 9
    I will be stoked for a good while after yesterday's ride. The bike felt great, the froinds are awesome, and whatever was in Rossage's saftey gear is still giggling, heehee!
    Pretty much we showed up, CrazyBear did his thing, and we rode like bandits. All strong riders, the impostor Danimal approved, and we lived to tell the tale. I have so many thoughts swirling, but I cannot express even one. However, at the end of my stoke, I keep coming back to this ride, and the original, which is where I met you hooligans (https://www.imtbtrails.com/forum/threads/2013-palm-canyon-trail-epic.985/). Five years of stoke, and here's to many more!

17. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    For a quick composite it didn't come out too bad!
    The new group shot.
    palm.canyon.group.composite.jpg

~JB~, Fueledbyex8, Stkx66 and 16 others like this.
  18. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    This is pretty much an action shot... :rolleyes:

img_4331-jpg.46628.jpg

~JB~, Cyclotourist, scan and 10 others like this.
  19. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, blue one, black one
    Looks like the guy in the back seat was a little scared haha.
    FD868D3F-4560-49E7-A8A0-331E0BBCE2C4.jpeg

20. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ha ha ha ha! Maybe he is a wanted man in Quebec?

~JB~, Cyclotourist, scan and 7 others like this.
  21. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    In regards to Hahn Trail... Rick, I guess I should be pissed off at my GoPro more often. You guys took off, I'm trying to get the GoPro going, finally yelled Ef It! And applied pressure to pedals... hah ha!
    upload_2018-11-24_11-21-57.png

~JB~, Cyclotourist, herzalot and 9 others like this.
  22. rossage

rossage iMTB Addict

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    You talk Sh!t, you gonna get hit!

23. MrGreedom

MrGreedom Well-Known Member

Name:
    Ryan
    Current Bike:
    BH Lynx6
    Can we have the file of you cropped out that we can drop into all of our photos? We can start a game of Where's Mikie.

24. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb Well-Known Member

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    Mysterious Dan is Dan Bartlett from Thousand palms. Met him at Exploration .

25. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara Ford
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    All this ride is missing is a female to represent imtbtrails :rolleyes:

~JB~, Luis, Stkx66 and 12 others like this.
  26. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Addict

Name:
    Ed Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    You should probably keep your road bike on the pavement.

:Roflmao:Roflmao:Roflmao:p:D:D:D

27. mtbMike

mtbMike Well-Known Member

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Intense Tracer & Primer
    Great reports by all. We have a group filling two vans with Crazy Bear next week. It will be the biggest group I’ve organized and I’ve already told them, no way we’ll all stay together so we’ll split up into at least 3 groups.

28. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
  29. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara Ford
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010