The Bomb Squad bombs Wrightwood!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by Tom the Bomb, Feb 3, 2018.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    Oh Ya, yes indeed we did! Mikie, Voodoo, Scottay, Oldschool, T-2, Maddog, Redwoods, Bad boy Burt and yes a wild and crazy Hillbilly did show at the Jackson lake meet up. Yes thats 10 and all ready to do some bombin! After a briefing by Mikie, we had the route figured out. Up Boy scout, down Logger, down Leprechaun , up the fire road, up Boy scout again down, the Middle trail, back up Boy scout, and down Boy scout. Sounds good, let do it! NNNNNNNot! Well we got 2/3rds of it anyway. After the second climb up BS we were pretty toast. So we decided to finish with Middle trail and go to the mess hall (Jensens deli). What happened in between was simply marvelous ! Logger was prime for the taking! We just crushed it! So many hoots and smiles. What a run. Up and over to Leprechaun. The trail was in much better shape than a year and half ago when I rode it last. The log roll had been beefed up and was a safe roll as long as you kept off the brakes. About 100 yards later Doug shouts out "let it go Tom" and I knew it was oooooon! Holy foshizzle Bat fans what a sizzler! It was faaaaaaast! We then climbed out and downed some energy and back up to Boy scout. Doug, Scotty and Greg elected to rip back down BS while the rest of us hit the Middle trail. We hit it hard, left hook, right cross ,uppercut and a knockout! I have never heard so much stoke on the trail. Off to Jensens deli to recover and share the passion! No mechanicals, crashes or issues. First time for Pat and Rick. They were bagging on us for not letting them in on the goods years ago (blame that on Doug). They will be back! We saw only a couple hikers on the dh the whole day! With the primo dirt we were able to "Haul the Mail Baby", Melache'.
    What an epic day. Not sure what is up with Strava. Those of us using it logged over 4k of climbing and the guys using Garmins were about 3400. Guess you cannot trust Strava, bummer. Mission accomplished , all back home safe and stoked. Roughly 19 miles and somewhere around 34- 4600 climbing depending on what gizmo you trust. Hey Mikie we likey!
    Baaaaaaalllllllz baby!

P. S. I did not take 1 lousy picture. I know it sucks!

2. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 SC Megaplower
    AWESOME! I will do this some day. :thumbsup::cool::)

Glad you did not take one lousy picture. Now you can post all of the great ones you took! :confused:

3. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    2018 Trek FEX
    No pics is a sign of complete and continuous fun. :thumbsup:

Faust29, Cyclotourist, Luis and 8 others like this.
  4. hill^billy

hill^billy Well-Known Member

Name:
    hill^billy
    Simply a special day in Wrightwood! Cause> Perfectly (on accident) timed snow melt. Effect>how do they say it? Meloche hero dirt pretty much everywhere, spring like weather in Feburary at elevation. Good strong big group whom laughed alot, with a few enthusiastic loud hoots I’m thinking echoed down to Palmdale and maybe reached Lancaster, and smiles period! Special!

5. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, blue one, black one
    Simply awesome day. Who would think that we be hitting Wrightwood and have perfect conditions in early February. Bunch of solid riders and great to meet a couple new guys. Hightower still has me grinning ear to f'n ear. Only took 2 pictures today since my phone died way before the finish.

The meeting before the beating...
    IMG_7061.jpg

And parts of my glow in the dark bike. This bike is so much frikkin fun:thumbsup:
    IMG_7063.jpg

Grego, Faust29, Fueledbyex8 and 18 others like this.
  6. redwoods

redwoods Member

Name:
    Pat
    Current Bike:
    Kona Process 153 G2
    Here are the only ones I got worth sharing.
    Looking down into the desert (north), and looking at the backside of Baldy (south).

IMG_8499.jpg

IMG_8501.jpg

luskie, Grego, Faust29 and 18 others like this.
  7. redwoods

redwoods Member

Name:
    Pat
    Current Bike:
    Kona Process 153 G2
    I've heard of riding in Wrightwood for years, but never knew how good it was. Descriptions were always sort of casually "yeah, it's fun", without sounding very inspiring. Well, they were all correct - it's all-right, no big deal, nothing special, you're better off riding Chino Hills. :sneaky::D:rolleyes:

8. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash
    Sounds and looks choice...way to plunder the goods, guys. :thumbsup:

Faust29, Mikie, Voodoo Tom and 6 others like this.
  9. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Angeles high country in February! Awesome run Bombers!

mtnbikej, Faust29, mike and 7 others like this.
  10. Luis

Luis iMTB Addict

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    Big Black 29er
    I agree, the place is alright. :whistling:

mtnbikej, Faust29, mike and 4 others like this.
  11. scan

scan Well-Known Member

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    Wish I could have joined you guys!! One of my fave rides, pretty close to home

Maddog, mike, Mikie and 2 others like this.
  12. Old Skool

Old Skool Member

Hacienda Hgts. (Turnbull Cyn. is My Backyard!)
    Name:
    Rick
    Current Bike:
    Pivot Mach 5.7 C (w/ 650b's)
    Yeah, what a blast, weather was spectacular, so glad to have come out and bagged some prime dirt w/ the iMTB crew. Got a chance to meet some very cool and solid group of riders. Highlight for me was the bombing run down Leprechaun in wheel-to-back-wheel train w/ Doug on my rear wheel shouting 'Let er roll guys' I swear, I had Doug's knobby marks on the back of my shirt when I got home!! Really good times, loved the group....here are the few pics that I took.

IMG_3562.JPG

IMG_3563.JPG

IMG_3564.JPG

IMG_3566.JPG

IMG_3567.JPG

IMG_3569.JPG

IMG_3573.JPG

luskie, Grego, Cyclotourist and 14 others like this.
  13. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower/Yeti 5C
    With Wrightwood getting some snow (which I never even thought about until Voodoo and I saw it on the way up there) a few weeks ago... and then it slowly absorbing into the trail... the timing of our arrival was perfect beyond planning! Meaning, by far the best Hero Dirt I have ever experienced up there. Carving corners, traction, gription climbing was of EPIC proportion!
    Some met others for the first time. Me? I'm an MTB Slut, so I get around and I knew everyone, ha hah!

There were hooligan among us as usual, in fact they were all hooligans. I'm trying to remember the last place I rode with @Old Skool and I think it was two years ago up at Golden Eagle! That should be a felony in most states. Nobody that rides mtb's should have to wait that long to get back on another ride in my opinion.

But I'm thinking that Wrightwood may have been the final nail in the coffin to get guys from OC back up to ride our Primo goods!

We hit 3 of several bomber trails, Log Jammer, Leprechaun, and Middle Jackson Trail for our descending pleasure. Was hoping to climb Boy Scout one more time so we could drop it for a finale back to the vehicles but some of us didn't have it in us to make that one last climb. Next time! The stoke in the end was infectious! So glad to get a rally in like that to get us ready for the next time! So here be some pics.

Felons! Every last one of them!
    @scottay , @burt , @Tom the Bomb , @Old Skool , @Maddog , @T-2 , @redwoods , @hill^billy , and @Voodoo Tom , with some dudes shadowy fingers photo bombing the pic...

DSCF1996.jpg

Rick-O aka Old Skool
    DSCF1997.jpg

Scott aka Scottay, Tom aka T-2, Patrick aka Redwoods
    DSCF1998.jpg

Some of the reactions to Log Jammer at the end...
    DSCF2001.jpg

DSCF2002.jpg

DSCF2003.jpg

DSCF2004.jpg

DSCF2005.jpg

DSCF2006.jpg

When Tom the Bomb attempts to ride a mortals bike...
    DSCF2007.jpg

Burt saying... "We could actually be RIDING our bikes right now, dahmeet!"
    DSCF2009.jpg

Burt aka Burt, Doug aka Hill^Billy, and Greg aka Maddog
    DSCF2010.jpg

Tom the Bomb, Old Skool, and Voodoo Tom

DSCF2008.jpg

The circle of "Stoke Recollection"

DSCF2011.jpg

How many times have we said, "A perfect day with perfect friends on perfect trails in perfect conditions"?
    Apparently we need to say it a few more times, because it was...

We cruised into Wrightwood and hit up Jensen's, a Food Market. They had a Deli inside that made these KILLER sandwiches on Mexican bread that were amazing! Grilled Ham, Bacon, Swiss Cheese, Jalapeno's, and other stuff. Yowzah! Talked some more schmack talk then we parted ways. It's awesome to have the common thread of "bicycles" to bring such amazing folks together like this. I think the rest of the world just needs to get bicycles, then everything would be ohh-kay!

Bike on my imtbtrails brothah's and sistah's! Bike-On!

14. T-2

T-2 Member

Name:
    Tom Shaffer
    Current Bike:
    Carbon Stumpy EVO
    I was not believer in Wrightwood until yesterday. Thanks Tom for putting this together, Thanks Mikie for the most excellent route.

15. Maddog

Maddog Well-Known Member

Name:
    Greg Madison
    Current Bike:
    Intense Tracer 275
    Not much to add to the descriptions of the ride. Like @redwoods said, nothing special, just the ordinary post-thaw conditions as well as a pack of dogs with their almost in control owners on Boy Scout to deal witho_O! I did take a couple pics on a rest stop at the Fenner junction on Boy Scout. Caught some of the wild life in action! I'm trying the desktop to drop in method as suggested by Faust. Here goes!

IMG_0948.jpg

IMG_0953.jpg

IMG_0952.jpg

IMG_0947.jpg

Wow! It actually worked!:geek: Now somebody tell me why the text is in the middle when I typed it first and then did the pics:confused:. And why Voodoo Tom has a twin brother all of a sudden!

16. scottay

scottay Well-Known Member

Name:
    Scottay
    Congrats MD! Welcome to 2018!

17. hill^billy

Name:
    hill^billy
    Madboy unleashed!

Maddog, mike, Faust29 and 6 others like this.
  18. hill^billy

Name:
    hill^billy
    @Old Skool > I determined you to be flying on a trail you had never been on before, you seemed quite trustworthy for someone I had just met, that dirt had something to do with it also! Solid run! Normally I don’t do that.

19. scan

scan Well-Known Member

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    One of @Maddog's rare ballet poses!!!:Roflmao:Roflmao

Tom the Bomb, Maddog, mike and 3 others like this.
  20. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Congratulations! You have taken a big step into a larger world.:whistling: I fixed it for you...
    You would think with all those kids in your P.E. classes who DON'T dress out for gym, that you would be learning from those with their noses in their cell phones.:rolleyes:

Actually pretty stoked you took some pics and posted them. Thanks @Maddog !

21. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, blue one, black one
    Dang my twin brother had a pretty rad looking bike :Roflmao

22. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    Success!

Thank God... I can unpack the typewriter I was getting ready to mail @Maddog . :whistling:

23. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Yes! And the Gift Card to PhotoMat I was going to give him...

24. burt

burt Member

Name:
    burt
    Great ride guys!

25. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    One o' these days I simply must get my a$$ up to Wrightwood. :oops:

26. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Specy Epic, Stumpu and Enduro
    Drive 30 min more around Baldy and Wahla your in paradise.

27. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon 60%

Perfect!!!

Tom the Bomb and Mikie like this.
  28. Maddog

Maddog Well-Known Member

Name:
    Greg Madison
    Current Bike:
    Intense Tracer 275
    Thanks! I still think I'm better suited to 1988! I could take anybody off the dribble (now I can only do that to guys slower than me of which there are very few) and I could program a VCR faster than hill^billy can pour a bowl of cereal:gag:!

29. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    Oh, I've been to Wrightwood. Just not on a bike. :rolleyes: Come to think of it, riding to Wrightwood would be one hell of a ride. :thumbsup:

Tom the Bomb and Cyclotourist like this.
  30. Maddog

Maddog Well-Known Member

Name:
    Greg Madison
    Current Bike:
    Intense Tracer 275
    When the trails are that good, I can't stop the feeling so I just dance, dance, dance:laugh:! You should've seen the rest of the number:thumbsup:!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?