The Bermuda Triangle of McGill Trail

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by Mikie, Sep 5, 2014.

1. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower/Yeti 5C
    I'm beginning to think McGill Trail is like the Bermuda Triangle of Mountain Biking for me. In near locations on the trail I have broken my chain, broken my collarbone, etc. What is it about this area of McGill . . . ? :|

So the night before, I rode Tapia w/ El Immigrante for a week day training ride to keep up some mileage...

The next morning (Friday) I promised to take Eric Zacher on a ride and we decided to do McGill Trail. I also found out that Scottay and Hill^billy were coming up to ride McGill at 10:00am. Eric had to ride at 8:30 to be back in Palmdale by 12:00. Complicated, I know!

Luckily everything went well on the Eric Zacher up and down the trail. Came across some elderly hikers coming down. Good thing I had my Vaporman Power Bell to warn them!

STRAVA with Zacher: http://app.strava.com/activities/190340098

Got to the bottom to find a note on the Mini begging me to hang around for a shuttle back up to the upper parking lot from Hill^billy, no doubt Scottay (the shuttle king) put him up to it. ;)

I'm kicking it in the car and Scottay, and then Hill^billy pull up from their McGill descent. Scottay stays with their bikes and I Fly H^B back up to his truck and then drive back down to the lower parking lot. We load up and head up for another shuttle.

Scottay takes off first then me, then Hill^billy. Scottay is really moving fast, I'm staying with him but with everything I got in my trail skills.

Best Time evah on the Upper thanks to me chasing Scottay: http://app.strava.com/activities/190340051/segments/4469747531

We ride the whole upper section and hit the first paved section crossing to drop into Mt. Pinos campground. Scottay just put it into cruise mode (to be honest I was confused, especially after blazing the first section). So I take off, Hill^billy behind me, and Scottay riding sweep.

I was pretty jacked to actually be on McGill with guys that can fly, but it was not at the pace I thought we would be at so I just kinda putted and sprinted at will. Just as we were at the lower section of the Bermuda Triangle I decided to pick up the pace and was again at full speed when Psssssss sssss ssssss ssssss sssssssst! What? In STEREO?!?!?!? Yeah, double flat. It was a STANS double golden shower. :eek: :( :shock: :? :roll:

I'm walking my bike down the trail in full anticipation of hiking it out, when H^B passes me asking if I'm alright I said nope, double flat.
    They insisted I fix it cuz 1) They did not want to leave me stranded, and (probably more importantly) 2) I was their ride for their lazy butts up to the truck Ha hah!

I now remember I stopped the time on the Garmin (and forgot to turn it back on :x ). Tubed both tires and headed back out. About a 1/4 mile from the bottom trailhead, who do we come across? That elderly couple on their way down. As I approached I began to get the feeling something was wrong. They were both standing but she was hovering over him as he barley hung on to a root hanging out the side of he hill.

I asked, What's up?"
    She said, "He has been here for over an hour like this. I went down to the car and waited 30 minutes and he was here when I came back up."

I'm thinking heart attack... :|

So Hill^billy and I practically carried him to on outside bend in the trail and got him off the singletrack in case some unsuspecting DH'er comes around the corner and get's themselves both killed. I refill their water supply, she has cell service and calls a friend in Pine Mountain Club who gives her the number to the new fire department that just opened this very day. We make sure they are in the good, and then head down to my Mini and make sure to direct the fire department in the right direction when they pass by. They were there in no time. NICE!

A good thing that came out of it is that they had a new perspective on Mountain Bikers.

"We're not all bad," Hill^billy said as we rolled away.
    "Yeah", the lady said, "Not like those assholes earlier!" (such language out of an 80 year old :eek: )

Hmmm, she couldn't be referring to me and Eric earlier that day . . . . right? . . . . . Bermuda Triangle of McGill Trail. :lol:

mcgill_bermuda_triangle.png

2. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Pick one, got a few
    Wow kind of an eventful ride. Way to pay it forward though cause one day we could be that guy...

3. rossage

rossage iMTB Addict

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Triangle? looks more linear to me.... :shock:
    Quite an adventure, for a shuttle. Ha! Good to hear Doug is back on a trail other than AT.

4. hill^billy

hill^billy Well-Known Member

Name:
    Doug Lake
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB-66
    Yes Ross, your right. I rode AT 556 times this summer, I even tried to ride it blind folded once, not to mention riding backwards. Niether went well so I didn't count those. Very good to be on a different trail, but I have to admit it scared me a little, that's why I'm 111 th on strava :shock: ! Maybe I should stick to AT? ;)

5. jimbowho

jimbowho Member

Name:
    james jim jimmy
    Current Bike:
    12 GT sensor 29r
    Way to represent Mikie. Myself, I would have had to go back like a tracker/scout to find what double flatted me enough to double Stans fail. Are your tires good?

Danmtchl and Mikie like this.
  6. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Scottay did while I was fixing the two, found a razor sharp rock so maybe that was it. Never had a flat in the tread that Stans couldn't seal. This was a first (McGIll Bermuda Triangle :lol: )

Danmtchl and mountaingirl sara like this.
  7. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Is the McGill Bermuda Triangle Growing?

Is indeed the McGill Bermuda Triangle growing?
    Reports have come in that would lead to this as fact. The mysterious Bermuda Triangle of McGill Trail has yet, struck again. But also what plays into this debate is that an odd coincidence that a local named Mikie Watson has experienced numerous events of potential paranormal activity...

When asked to comment on the strange phenomenon's of his trail experience, Mikie commented, "I used to be a professional gardener and I always told folks, Don't plant Bermuda Grass!. It will come back to haunt yah... I guess it's now coming back to haunt me... :( "

The triangle is expanding and now it took the life of my dear Yeti Mistress...

"Curse you McGill Bermuda Triangle! You just robbed me of my Yeti rear Triangle!".....

mcgill_bermuda_triangle.1.jpg

8. hill^billy

hill^billy Well-Known Member

Name:
    Doug Lake
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB-66
    That’s it! No more of this trail for you! I’m sure Cathy would back me on this along with all of IMTB.

9. scottay

scottay Well-Known Member

Name:
    Scottay
    Holy Thread Resurrection Poser!

10. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Addict

Name:
    Edward Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO Plus
    That was my thinking. I actually read the whole thing thinking it was written today.

11. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Addict

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    If only he listened...

12. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Sara Ford
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    Hmm, so the question is do you get back to Pinos and conquer it or just stay clear??

13. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Specy Epic and Stumpy
    We have a spot at Sycamore that I deemed off limits. If you get hurt there from that date on your bad. Dumbass award will be givin.

14. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    After seeing this and considering what just happened to @Mikie, perhaps I will just stay away from there... :eek:

15. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    I say we go back and kick it’s azz!

Redman, scan, CBone and 8 others like this.
  16. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    Or be recipient of same....not the preferred outcome, no.:Roflmao

17. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Dumbass award is better than no award at all...:whistling:

18. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Specy Epic and Stumpy
    In your case a walker was bequeathed.

19. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Point taken...:oops:

20. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Addict

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    the-red-foreman-dumbass-award.jpg

LLPoolJ, Mikie, DangerDirtyD and 2 others like this.
  21. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Sara Ford
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    yeah!!!! But just in case that’s the drugs talking, I’ll ask again in a few weeks :thumbsup::D

scan, Mikie, DangerDirtyD and 2 others like this.
  22. Daddy Dirtbag

Daddy Dirtbag Member

Name:
    Jeff Johansen
    Current Bike:
    2016 Trek Stache 9 29+
    There is really nothing on this trail that is technically demanding, although it's a good idea to scope out the log roll and the one little mini rock garden to see if anything has recently changed before heading into it blindly with pace. It is similar to the F-Loop that way, but otherwise totally different ;~) I have seen newbies rolling it on Costco hybrids with no problem. The issues come with increased speed, which is hard to avoid because the trail is so much fun to rail and goes on like that for miles. I think it's easy to get a little complacent, and that is when it jumps up and bites you.