The Automobile Thread

Discussion in 'Free Zone' started by buggravy, Oct 20, 2019.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    In Cali, SUVs are grocery haulers. The lower, the better. Those grocery bags can get heavy and lifting them into a high clearance vehicle can lead to permanent injury, such as bulging discs. We don't want our wives to have bulging discs do we?

2. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    I just had my new CRV slammed. Looks better, huh?

aSCRV.jpg

Danmtchl and mountaingirl sara like this.
  3. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    IIRC you didn't have black.
    So you painted, changed the wheels, lowered, installed new front bumper cover....etc.
    I call BS....:Roflmao

4. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, black one, Ti one
    Now you gotta install one of those cool fart can exhaust tips...:gag:

5. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Yes, exactly. ;)

6. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    at first I thought you were telling buggravy to put exhaust tips on the e-tron. That would be sweet.

Possibly my favorite part of my EV is smoking obnoxiously loud cars off the line. I like to floor it just long enough so they feel their pride get wounded.

7. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    My 04 Allroad and my 04 Cayenne had adjustable air suspension with 5 different height levels. The highest level on the Allroad gave me about 10" of ground clearance, which I needed on more than one occasion. It automatically lowered over a certain speed. The air suspension was, however, the bane of the early Allroads. $1000 per corner to repair/replace, and the bladders were famous for leaking.

8. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    I’ve heard that about those Allroads. That was such a cool car though. I lusted after one, but it wasn’t even remotely within my reach at that time. That was actually a cool era for Audi. Some really awesome, if temperamental cars. The first RS6 sedan comes to mind.

9. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    Yeah but I love the sound of my factory tuned exhaust. Its like a well tuned musical instrument, the aural sensation excites me. :cool::thumbsup:

10. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    My gas sipper goes "weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee". That is all. CVTs are like that.

11. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    I can't hear mine. I can't hear yours, either. Sound system is on.:)

12. Derkderkall

Derkderkall iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
    Just make sure you stick to the recommended fluid changes, with the Honda cvt fluid.

13. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    Reporter 'Gravy checking in from the LA Autoshow. Not sure who all cares about this, but I have time on my hands, so here goes. Lots of cool stuff at the show. I was really focusing on EV stuff, and there were a lot of cool offerings, though disappointingly much of it was at the (very) high end of the market. Checked out Audi first because it was right at the entrance to South Hall, and I've been dying to see the new RS6 Avant that is finally being brought to North America. Audi threw me a curve ball though, as I was all set to purchase the RS6 in my fantasy life, and then they went and introduced the RSQ8. Horrid color aside, it is one fine specimen of an automobile, the ultimate city to snow high speed transport rig for the well heeled adventurer, and a great compliment to the R8 Performance that's also in the fantasy garage. New e-Tron sportback was snazzy, but I prefer the lines, and definitely the utility of the regular version. Next up was the Bollinger EV truck and SUV. Decidedly spartan and utilitarian. I was really smitten, until I heard a rep talking to a potential customer, and he said they will be aiming for the Hummer, G-Wagon demographic, with a price tag around $125K, and a limited production of around 10K units. More of an offroad than onroad focus, but I can see them being SoCal pavement princesses. From there I went to Porsche and checked out the Taycan. Great looking car, but I guess I hadn't been paying attention to where it was going to fit in in terms of price point. My jaw dropped when I saw it. On a more sour note, the new Vette, which I wasn't a fan of in pics is even more disappointing in the flesh. Total miss for me, though lots of people seemed to be eating it up. Surprisingly, the highlight of show for me was the Subaru display. It was done in conjunction with the National Parks Foundation, and was really nicely done. The even had a live pet adoption going on with OC German Shepard Rescue. I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for Subaru, having owned 3 Outbacks that took me/us on many memorable adventures. They were fantastic cars, with the exception of the last one, an '18, that was plagued with technology gremlins as were many from that year. Hopefully they've got their supplier issues sorted out, as the new Outback was super impressive. Incredibly well thought out, and as always bang for the buck, especially with technology, is through the roof. The Outback takes a lot of flack for it's lack of sex appeal, but I personally think it's beautiful in its utilitarianism.

IMG_5863.jpg

IMG_5862.jpg

IMG_5867.jpg

IMG_5872.jpg

IMG_5874.jpg

IMG_5875.jpg

IMG_5869.jpg

IMG_5870.jpg

IMG_5866.jpg

IMG_5871.jpg

Oaken, Faust29, mtnbikej and 10 others like this.
  14. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    The new Outback has their 2.4L D.I. turbo motor, me thinks. Same motor as in the Ascent. That is an improvement over past powertrains in that wagon.

15. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    I’m pretty sure you’re correct. If memory serves the 2.5 is still in the base trims, but the 2.4 replaced 3.6 in what is now the XE. The 2.5 is a pig in that car, but I really liked the 3.6. It was a dinosaur though, and I get why Subaru retired it.

Danmtchl, mtnbikej, UPSed and 2 others like this.
  16. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    What kind of reporting from the Auto show without a mention of the LEGO Bugatti!! Or the new Ugly Toyota TRD colors for 2020!! I was there yesterday and spent 5 hours just gawking at all the cool Sh!t they have there.977A2BD7-AF72-462F-988C-4DA46A6CB177.jpeg F993AD9C-32A1-47EC-BE6E-B61AB327FF22.jpeg 67B5F53D-4D49-4556-A26A-EFEFBE7B7BA7.jpeg F896C44F-5A8A-4CEF-8935-4460C9745CDD.jpeg A866494B-4F6F-42D9-8E39-5260E071DECD.jpeg

17. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    That first black Audi wagon is sexy :)

mtnbikej, Danmtchl, Danimal and 3 others like this.
  18. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    These first two cause my pants to start chafing me.

mtnbikej, Danmtchl, Danimal and 4 others like this.
  19. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    I actually think that green is kinda cool but wouldn’t want it for my daily driver. The 2020 Sequoia TRD Pro comes in that color but they also offer it in a nice grey that I like.

Starting to look at new cars for my wife and the Sequoia is going to be one we look at. Captain chairs in the second row, good off-road capability, and a roll down rear window. My wife wants to look at the Volvo XC90 and the Lexus GX but I’d like a big brother for my 4Runner.

20. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    The Sequoia is in the picture behind the Tacoma. But that color doesn’t do it for me, and I know a lot of people love it. The new Pro colors for this year are the green and Magnetic Gray Metallic ( I have this color) and probably should have waited for the 2020 model to come out to get the MGM in a Pro model.

21. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    I miss our old XC90. But it did it’s job and saved my wife and kids when they got slammed in to by an unlicensed driver. The left front fender was where the right front fender should be, but the foot well was unaffected and the doors all opened and shut like nothing happened. We replaced it with an Outback, which is ok...I’m over the 2.5/CVT, and I miss my old 4Runner. But I have a college sophomore and a high school senior. Thanksgiving is here, and I’m thankful!

mtnbikej, scan, Danimal and 6 others like this.
  22. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    For reals. I guess I lust after different cars than I did in my former life, but 600+hp, true snow proficiency, and muscle car sounds all make for a very formidable family hauler and grocery getter. The RS6 in particular is about as cool as it gets.

Danmtchl, mtnbikej, herzalot and 3 others like this.
  23. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    I like the green, but do feel like I'd tire of it pretty quickly. Your MGM is the best color for a Tacoma, IMO. I too kind of wish I'd waited for the 2020 for the new MMI (with Apple CarPlay) and seats. I don't care that much about the change to electric seat adjustments, but the odd seating position is my one gripe with my '19, and I was able to get the seat in the '20 into a more comfortable position than I'm able to with the manual seats.

24. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    I love my 19 MGM, but I can get a CarPlay stereo for the fraction of the OEM headunit($4K) and the seats don’t really bother me. But the new LED headlights would have been a reason to wait. I plan on updating the bulbs soon, as I have upgraded the taillights, mirror blinkers and interior lights so far.

25. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Just got back from the Auto Show myself. Loved the entire Audi line. I agree with the Subaru display being the big winner. Toyota hid their trucks in the back, and really didn't promote the one vehicle required of all mt. bikers - the Tacoma. The Bugattis were cool, and there were some interesting wedgie looking futuristic cars at Hyundai and Lexus. The Jaguar F Pace seats were the winners for me. Loved the all electric Porsche Taycan. The white "Turbo S" version was stupid fast - 760 HP and 0-60 in 2.8.

We were hoping to see the Lamborghini SUV that we saw on Magnum PI the other day (and I have seen in Laguna), but Lambo, Ferrari, Aston Martin and many others were not represented.

But as we exited the venue and headed for our car, lo and behold, the Lambo was there - in the handicapped spot. With a roof rack and trailer hitch. The thing will do 130 mph... IN SAND! :eek: A little over 200k for that little beast. I could see myself pulling up next to the VW buses at the surf break, or shuttling Cannell with this Subaru Crosstrek substitute. :sneaky: :thumbsup:

Lambo SUV.JPG

The Maybach back seat was pretty nice too. Pardon the through-the-glass photo. Doors were locked, for some reason.

Mayback back seat.JPG

All in all, it was interesting, but in my opinion, not worth the drive. I get to see all of these vehicles and more prowling PCH between Newport and Laguna, thanks to ridiculously rich, superficial people who have to strut their $1/4 million cars around.

26. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    Oh man, those F-Pace seats were remarkable. Did you sit in the blue one (SVR trim)? I wasn't sure if the seats were specific to that trim, but easily the best combo of supportive and comfortable that I've ever experienced. It pains me to say nice things about a Jag, but that interior seemed pretty dialed

Like you, I see those Lambo SUVs CONSTANTLY around my neck of the woods, and there are 2 separate ones in that awful yellow color that I see almost every morning. I'm not a Lambo fan in general, but the Urus is a pretty great looking car. Though with the RSQ8 out now the Lambo has no spot in my fantasy garage. I haven't studied the specs to compare, but I believe the Urus and RSQ8 are essentially the same car, though I don't believe the Urus has the rear wheel steering that the RSQ8 has.

27. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    0B34FEF8-BF73-4F3B-B8D8-6595EBDD6380.jpeg 3BCA2DC8-4056-489F-A79B-7FFC69B29F50.jpeg That blue F-Pace was sick, I also loved the Alfa Stelvio. The fit and finish on both were too notch. I also loved the Karma and Galpin displays.

28. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Ahhh, should have known that the Lambo was the RSQ8 with slightly more aggressive styling. I know that Audi/Lamborghini are connected (as are Bentley and Audi, plus the long-standing affiliation with Porsche and Volkswagen).

29. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    If it was Florida, the locals can spot you. All rental cars are registered in June. We look for the "06" on the license plate and expect u-turns and other craziness. True...

30. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    This is something that the VW group has been employing for some time. Our 2007 Touareg had the adjustable air suspension... Which is my most missed feature from the newer pavement princess we have now.