The Automobile Thread

Discussion in 'Free Zone' started by buggravy, Oct 20, 2019.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    I can't remember if we are still using that stuff at work or not, it's nasty and I'll be glad to see that it's gone. That part of the factory is walled off, you can't even go in without a bunch of PPE. But when I'm working on the roof and the wind shifts, I get a massive headache that lasts me for hours just from the smell of it for a few seconds at a time, because it's all vented to the roof.

Makes me feel worse in 30 seconds than I feel after racing for 30 miles.

2. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    Anyone have any experience with a VW CC? Buying my son his first new car and we saw a CC for a good price and pretty good condition D64805DB-3110-4B76-8678-0A8AD8AD6F53.jpeg

3. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    I just watched an Audi RS Q8 annihilate a Ford Raptor as I was getting on the freeway. The Audi and myself were at the light in the right two lanes. I was on the left and the Audi was on the right. The Raptor was in the lane to my left so I assumed he was going to try and holeshot me so he could cut over and get on the freeway. (His lane went straight). At this point, I wasn't even paying attention to the Audi. I was just planning to make the Raptor use as much fuel as possible to get in front of me. :whistling: Anticipating the light, I power braked the mighty V10 in my package car and when it turned green, I let her rip! I actually got the holeshot but it didn't take much for the Raptor to get past me. It actually sounded quite anemic. Maybe it was the V6 version? Anyways, I think the Audi saw what was going on and wanted a piece of the action. Maybe he thought the Raptor was racing him? Anyways, it was quite fun to watch the Audi just walk away. I had no idea they were that fast.

Obsidian, tick, herzalot and 5 others like this.
  4. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    That makes me smile. RSQ8 is a beast. HP is rated at 590, but Audi is notorious for under reporting horsepower. To my knowledge it still holds the record for an SUV around the Nurburgring.

And launch control on a UPS truck. That also makes me smile.

tick, herzalot, Cyclotourist and 4 others like this.
  5. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    It took me a while to learn the launch mode in this beast. Full throttle from a stop and it will stall. You have to give it half throttle till about 25 mph then put your foot to the floor. It's pretty damn quick for such a large vehicle. There are only three V10s in our building. The rest are V8s. Most of the drivers are clueless when it comes to anything automobile related. When they ask me why my package car is so fast, I tell them it's turbocharged. They're like, wow! :D

Rumpled, Sidewalk, herzalot and 5 others like this.
  6. Agent Orange

Agent Orange Member

Name:
    Yokel Legend
    Current Bike:
    '98 Specialized FSR Comp
    Like this?

7. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    They have poor reliability ratings from CR, but I think that might be overblown a bit. The VW 2.0T prior to '13 has timing chain problems and should be avoided. After that it just has your every day VW problems. The CC was available with a manual transmission which would be pretty kick ass!

My experience with first cars is that the kid will crash it in a few days/weeks/months, and reliability is a non-issue with a totaled car!

8. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    Yeah, I read about the pre 13 problems. I’ve already replaced the window switches, which is a known VW problem. But so far it seems like a nice car.

My daughter wrecked her first car and has had her 2nd car 5 years which is another VW, a Jetta.

Danimal and Cyclotourist like this.
  9. Bluesrider

Bluesrider Well-Known Member

Name:
    Todd
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower
    Awesome!
    As long as its a straight line, could not imagine that in a corner at any speed

Danmtchl likes this.
  10. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    :laugh::Roflmao

Danmtchl likes this.
  11. Agent Orange

Agent Orange Member

Name:
    Yokel Legend
    Current Bike:
    '98 Specialized FSR Comp
    It doesn't stop either. :eek:

Danmtchl, Sidewalk and herzalot like this.
  12. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    My first new package car was a GM Workhorse. It had an LS Series engine in it. The throttle was drive by wire. I was used to always flooring the old POS package cars we had at the time as they couldn't get out of their own way. The LS? The first time I punched it, it stepped out on me! Throttle response was instant and it made good power. Took me a while to get used to it.

Rumpled, Danmtchl and herzalot like this.
  13. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    It should be fine... they have some regular maintenance items that something like a Civic won't have, but not a big deal in my opinion. Glad she got the wreck out of the way!

Danmtchl and herzalot like this.
  14. AKAKTM

AKAKTM Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tony A
    Trying something new, basic and pretty darn cool. Great so far. Well done Ford 47255475-D625-476A-9872-8622E53B9DAE.jpeg

doublewide, Rumpled, Danmtchl and 7 others like this.
  15. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Does it drive/ride like a car or a truck?

Danmtchl likes this.
  16. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    Who the tiny guy standing in the tonneau cover?

17. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    Technically, I have a turbocharged V8.

Factory rated at 140 HP!

Danimal, Danmtchl and UPSed like this.
  18. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Yeah but, how much torque?

Danmtchl likes this.
  19. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    Oops, I was thinking of a different vehicle and realized it when I went to look up the torque. 210 HP and 425 ft/lbs. Which is nothing compared to modern vehicles. F150 with a 2.7 Ecoboost has almost the same torque, and early double the HP!

But I do really love the sound this thing makes, even with the stock exhaust.

Danmtchl, herzalot and UPSed like this.
  20. AKAKTM

AKAKTM Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tony A
    The Maverick drives great. Really nice. It’s more like a car or crossover utility vehicle. Nice features, very solid, comfortable and pretty basic.

Haha on the tiny man on the cover!!

21. Agent Orange

Agent Orange Member

Name:
    Yokel Legend
    Current Bike:
    '98 Specialized FSR Comp
    My folks are looking to thin the herd and I found out yesterday that they might sell (to me first) the Explorer that they bought new in February 1993. It's a Sport (2dr) 5-speed with manual hubs, a veritable unicorn after Cash-4-Clunkers crushed so many. It's also already lifted with plate bumpers, a winch, lights, ham radio, and safari rack. I'd prefer something pre-smog and full-sized truck, but man it's tempting. I know the whole service history and either helped with or did all the major work it's ever had.

If I put a 351W in the Mustang, then the 302 could come out and go in the Explorer...

Danimal, Cyclotourist, Oaken and 2 others like this.
  22. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    As a former Bronco II owner, those things were fantastic on the trail. The Exploder fixed all the weaknesses of the B2. D28 was replaced by the D35. 7.5 was replaced by the 8.8. 2.9 was replaced by the 4.0. They aren't Jeeps as far as capability and available bolt ONS, but the TTB front end is a VERY good compromise over a regular IFS.

V8 swaps are common on both platforms. And a D44 SAS is always a great option too. I'd do an SAS before a V8 though. The 4.0 isn't exactly a monster, but it is plenty enough.

Danimal, Danmtchl, Rumpled and 2 others like this.
  23. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Huh? :confused:

Well I guess if you know, you know, and if you don't, it doesn't matter.

Danmtchl, Rumpled and Sidewalk like this.
  24. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Sounds like @Sidewalk is a car wrencher.

25. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    -D28: Dana 28 model based axle. The Bronco II had a small front axle and it was pretty weak. Fine until you got above 33" tires (like I had), then the little u joints would just snap under high load. D35 in the Explorer had larger axle shafts, and a larger pumpkin which also allowed for lower gearing to run larger tires, 35s would be fine. 35's on that small of a vehicle are pretty good.
    -7.5: rear axle, not a Dana model, but Ford. Ford models are named by the ring gear size. 7.5 could handle all the power of a Bronco II, but the 8.8" also brought other benefits like rear disc brakes. And since it was used on the Mustang and F150, lots of available parts.
    -2.9: Bronco II had a 2.9 liter V6 that made 140 horsepower. Mediocre at best. The 4.0 was basically an improved 2.9 that made it stronger and more reliable.
    -TTB: Twin Traction Beam. Ford's way to try and get the advantages of an independent suspension, and the advantages of a solid axle. Great compromise that improved street handling, but still allowed for a massive amount of suspension travel. Still a compromise, but better (in my opinion) than any other suspension for that purpose. Everything since then has been road focused only.
    -SAS: Solid Axle Swap. If you are going to be serious about low speed off roading, you need a solid axle (like the Wrangler still has to this day). Pretty common even to this day replacing their independent front suspension for a solid axle for better off road capabilities.
    -D44: An even larger axle than the D28 or D35. Stock Wrangler has a D35 in the front, D44 in the back. Rubicon package gets dual D44 axles (what I have). Those are good up until around 37" tires, then you need a D60, unless it is just for looks (like 90% of Jeeps).
    -V8 swap: self explanatory :speechless:

I don't like wrenching much any more. Partially from making it my career, partially because I have gotten so big into athletics so I am too busy, partially because I don't have the resources. But I still prefer to do as much of my own work as possible.

SnakeCharmer, herzalot, tick and 8 others like this.
  26. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    This is AWESOME - Thank you! I had heard of Dana axles before, and I guessed the D44 was a Dana 44 (from my brief interest in 4x4 trail running that I never actually pursued beyond my Nissan trucks, Pathfinders and X Terras), and I assumed TTB was of course @Tom the Bomb!

Rumpled, Sidewalk, Danimal and 2 others like this.
  27. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    I never really thought much about modding my 4Runner. It did the job I assigned it very well, and 32” tires were fine everywhere I took it.

But now as a Wrangler owner, my 33” stock tires just look puny and sad. They really are fine, and I have no intention of taking my wife’s daily driver on Claw Hammer. But a stock Jeep is so boring, I want to put 40’s on there and start breaking parts like the cool kids.

Rumpled, Sidewalk, mtnbikej and 2 others like this.
  28. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    Ha! The reason I bought the Rubi was because it was basically built exactly how I wanted my BII to be. I wanted a solid D44 up front, lockers on both ends, lower gearing, etc.

I went with the "bought not built" and am completely happy with having a warranty, reliability, and way more livability.

My BII was on stock axles, minus a welded read end (so, permalocked), 33's, and mild lift. While I drive it like a dumbass, it did allow me to have a lot of fun.

mtnbikej, herzalot and tick like this.
  29. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    And I checked out your Rubicon, it's sweet!!!

Sidewalk and herzalot like this.
  30. Derkderkall

Derkderkall iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
    I was looking at these online last week. If I was ready to buy a new vehicle one of these would be really high on my list. Sounds like it's working out well for you!

tick likes this.