The Automobile Thread

Discussion in 'Free Zone' started by buggravy, Oct 20, 2019.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    Nice, Ed. I've never driven one, but the FR-S/BRZ look like really fun cars.

Sasquatch9billion, Danmtchl and UPSed like this.
  2. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Like I said it's no RX-7, at least out of the box, but from what I've read the boxer motor is built to handle 450hp with no internal modifications. As is it puts out 200hp but you have to put your foot to the floor several times before it unleashes it. I'm guessing the computer adapts to your driving style to get the most mileage it can. I have the 6-speed automatic and in eco mode it's in 4th gear by the time it hits 25mph. Thankfully it has a sport mode that will hold the gears like a manual under acceleration and it actually blips the throttle when it's downshifting.

3. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    Rotary engine right?? Pretty good motor I've heard!!
    Toyota FTW:thumbsup::thumbsup:

4. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Yes. 1.3 liter twin turbo rotary. I ran the piss out of that car and put over 130k without issue.

Danmtchl, DangerDirtyD, scan and 2 others like this.
  5. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Rotary engines have super smooth power. My friend had an older Mazda wagon with a rotary. He'd put it in second gear (manual) and drop the clutch and take his foot off the gas. It would just crawl along at almost no mph and not stall.

6. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    Got my baby all put back to stock. Felt all kinds of wrong, and I had a lot of pangs of regret this week while she was under the knife. My wife rolls her eyes at the sentimental attachment I get to inanimate things, but this car has a lot of energy and relationships rolled up in it as well. End of an era in a way. Or maybe I’m just being melodramatic again. Either way, if you know of someone that could give a low mileage well cared for super quick compact SUV a home, holla.

4412A9F7-6E35-4568-A1B4-13890AFE330E.jpeg

Danmtchl, Faust29, pperrelle and 5 others like this.
  7. Derkderkall

Derkderkall iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
    I'm kind of disappointed in my Elantra hatchback. Average 26 mpg. In eco mode. East Pasadena traffic on 210 is the biggest culprit.

8. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Bring it on Saturday. We'll swap. I want to keep my tires and wheels, my rack, my sound system and my trailer hitch. Let's do this! :eek: :thumbsup:

9. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    Haha, barring something unforeseen I will no longer own it by that point. Not getting a lot of bites for a private sale, so it will go to Vroom.com by the end of the week if a better offer doesn't present itself. Murphy's law, I had it listed for sale with all the mods for over a month, and not so much as a nibble. Got it put back to stock and had 3 separate people contact me at the end of the week saying they were very interested in the car with all the mods.

Luis, mtnbikej, BonsaiNut and 6 others like this.
  10. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    My new ride made me smile this weekend. Solid 34+ MPGs (CC set at 70) for the drive to and from the Central Coast. I am digging the adaptive cruise control, too.

I really need to get a tow hitch receiver for it though. Pulling the front wheel of my bike off to put it inside is a real drag. I have a set of splash guards for it now which I may install this morning.

Luis, DangerDirtyD, Faust29 and 7 others like this.
  11. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    Yeah, adaptive cruise is SO nice for burning up the highway. We had it on a Subaru Outback, and it was a fantastic system. I actually have it on my Tacoma as well, but it feels like a much more ham-fisted system. Still nice, but it does behave weirdly at times. Glad to hear you're enjoying the ride. Re: trailer hitches, U-haul will install them fairly inexpensively. I used them for my Outback and I was happy with the hitch. If you don't want the visible U-Haul logo, I'm pretty sure their hitches are just rebranded Draw-Tite, which you could probably get installed for about the same price.

12. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Thanks. I will likely order a receiver from ebay and install it myself or have my mechanic do it.

13. pperrelle

pperrelle iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ripley V4 & Ripmo V2
    I’ve always found good deals here for hitches. Install is usually pretty simple.

https://www.etrailer.com/

14. CBone

CBone iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    The talk about adaptive cruise control got me thinking about my wife's car. It is a loaded 2006 Avalon and has lots of bells and whistles, including adaptive cruise. What it does not have is bluetooth for hands free phone calls. Do any of you have experience with aftermarket bluetooth systems?

DangerDirtyD, Danmtchl and UPSed like this.
  15. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    Faust29, mtnbikej, Danmtchl and 2 others like this.
  16. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    Faust29, mtnbikej, Danmtchl and 3 others like this.
  17. Rumpled

Rumpled Well-Known Member

Name:
    Jim Martin
    Current Bike:
    2018 Specialized Epic Carbon C
    Faust29, mtnbikej, Danmtchl and 2 others like this.
  18. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    Gonna resurrect this, as I just spent a week in a rented Prius, and did not hate it. the rental car spec was cheap, and the armrest wasn’t in the right place, but 58.4 mpg over a week, and the acceleration was better in this updated model. I don’t like the looks, and gas was $2.20/gallon in the south, but it did all the car things well enough.

And I spotted a couple pre-production Tesla Model Ys in a parking lot. One had a pitot tube on the hood. They look better in person than in photos.

Faust29, mtnbikej, Danmtchl and 5 others like this.
  19. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    And you didn't start cutting people off right,like all those Prius drivers do, lol

Faust29, Danmtchl and tick like this.
  20. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    I was in the south, where there are no cyclists to endanger. But I was in an unfamiliar town, so I was making all kinds of late unsignaled lane changes.

Faust29, Danmtchl and Cyclotourist like this.
  21. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Sounds more like a BMW driver.

Faust29, Danmtchl and tick like this.
  22. Derkderkall

Derkderkall iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
  23. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
  24. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    New Ford BEV looks good, but hate the name. #notmymustang

25. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    Lots of exciting stuff coming out of press days at the LA Autoshow. Think I'm going to head over there Sunday morning. One month of life with an EV has proven to be quite pleasurable. I still wouldn't want to be without a gas powered car for road trips, but I'm sure the "fueling" infrastructure is going to explode over the next couple of years, and hopefully the ability to quick charge will also.

Got the e-tron personalized a bit, but not much else that can be done via after market at the moment. There is a module that's available to further lower the air suspension, which is tempting, but with the car weighing a very portly 5,700 lbs I worry a bit about the stress that would put on the bags.

5EB83A1D-D456-4516-8564-92D8C8BC5FD3.jpeg

26. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Lowering your suspension on any vehicle (except maybe a track racing car) is like riding your bike without tires. Stupid. Ride quality suffers, traction suffers and it does absolutely nothing for performance. It's a SoCal fashion.

27. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    Depends on how you lower it. I get what you’re saying. Lots of folks just throw shorter springs on stock dampers that are then operating out of spec, and yeah, it rides like hell. I lowered my SQ5 2” using properly matched springs and shocks and while the ride was more firm in a sporty way, it was also better damped and less jarring than the stock ride. Lower center of gravity, less body roll, meant it handled like a sport sedan instead of an SUV. Trade offs, sure, but definitely more than a fashion statement if done properly. With an EV there may be some nominal efficiency gain at highway speeds as well.

Redman, Faust29, DangerDirtyD and 3 others like this.
  28. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Thanks for that @buggravy - but still don't get why someone buys an SUV for the height and ground clearance advantage and then lowers it. I guess most in SoCal don't buy SUVs for those advantages, they buy them for the grocery/Costco carrying capacity?

BonsaiNut, Faust29, mtnbikej and 3 others like this.
  29. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    Correct on that herz, SUVs aren’t really bought for ground clearance for most people these days (esp in SoCal), they are really CSUVs (crossover SUVs). My wife drives her sporty SUV for the extra cargo, rear gate rather than trunk style. My 4Runner is what we drive in snow and when we will be doing any off-roading.

Faust29, mtnbikej, UPSed and 2 others like this.
  30. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    I think a lot of it comes down to the fact that wagons don't sell well in the US market, so most manufacturers don't offer them here when they do in other parts of the world. So a lowered SUV can provide the utility of an SUV/wagon with the driving dynamics of a car. Certain SUVs definitely lend themselves to it much more than others though, and yeah, the concept can seem ill conceived on the wrong vehicle. In the case of the e-Tron (and an increasing number of other SUVs/CUVs) they actually come with an adjustable air suspension so you can get the advantage of clearance when needed, but also enjoy the better driving dynamics of a lower COG when the clearance isn't necessary, which is really the vast majority of the time. Because of the entrance to my driveway, and clearance issues therein, I'm limited in the types of cars I can own, so a lowered SUV that still has more clearance than a sedan or sports car is really the only way to get a sporty ride and still be able to park in my garage. The modded SQ5 was so perfect for that. I'd have a Golf R if I could get it in my driveway, but alas.......

Faust29, mtnbikej, UPSed and 3 others like this.