The Automobile Thread

Discussion in 'Free Zone' started by buggravy, Oct 20, 2019.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Rumpled

Rumpled Well-Known Member

Name:
    Jim Martin
    Current Bike:
    2018 Specialized Epic Carbon C
    Put a deposit down to order a Tacoma today. It could take up to 3 months. Best thing is sale price is supposed to be MSRP. I have a friend who is a Toyota sales manager, but he can't even get me to MSRP. Normally MSRP would be a crappy deal.

I had really wanted to get a Ranger, but it is really dated and underequipped. Should get more on a +$40k truck. (Tacoma is also dated)

Ideally, I'd like a diesel like on the Chevy, but too much extra cost and they have even less availability than Ford and Toyota.

I did just rig a rear fender on my CX bike to continue commuting during my wait for the truck to arrive.

(Anyone want a 2006 Dodge Dakota with a bad engine? Probably going to karsforkids by year end)

2. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    Congrats! MSRP is no small accomplishment these days. Tacoma is kind of a dinosaur, but a charming one. I miss mine dearly.

Danmtchl, Rumpled, herzalot and 7 others like this.
  3. Agent Orange

Agent Orange Member

Name:
    Yokel Legend
    Current Bike:
    '98 Specialized FSR Comp
    US-market Rangers have always looked dated though. It's a feature.

4. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    I love my Tacoma, but your right it’s a dated truck. I wish Toyota would put in features most current vehicles have nowadays. The 2020’s finally got power seats, CarPlay and LED lighting. Too bad I have a 19. CB1BAD3F-66F3-40EC-90FF-94B7E0459CA0.jpeg

5. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Looks like I'm fully back in the Bavarian Brotherhood of Bimmerness! We went out to San Pedro and picked up a 2007 328XI wagon this morning. MUCH better commuter than my wife's current GL450 gas guzzler. That's a great family vehicle, but stupid commuter. This new one isn't the perfect commuter (really, we should both be in Nissan Leafs), but fun, well put together, and pretty damn cheap. Cheaper than many new bikes! And I gotta' say, I LOVE how it matches my 330i!!! Fun day out on the peninsula, and an easy drive home. Gotta' refresh a lot of the fluids, but other than that, in turnkey condition!

51740160871_cb76d57361_3k.jpg

51739339667_2e91f240a0_k.jpg

51739342167_75dec75118_3k.jpg

Sidewalk, herzalot, Rumpled and 12 others like this.
  6. Sasquatch9billion

Sasquatch9billion iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    trinidad j. mendez
    Really good-looking cars you've got there!

mtnbikej, Cyclotourist and Danmtchl like this.
  7. Agent Orange

Agent Orange Member

Name:
    Yokel Legend
    Current Bike:
    '98 Specialized FSR Comp
    Dumb luck and dumb weather next week have forced me to fast-track some plans for the truck that I had hoped to postpone until the holidays when I'm off work.

nailed_it_000.jpg nailed_it_001.jpg

Despite having nearly a millimeter of tread left, I'm going to forgo getting it patched and just put on the new set of 29s.
    yo_coop_001.jpg

The part I was trying to put off is having to install a lift, new rear end gears, and do an alignment to accommodate the taller tires. Sunday is going to be busy.

Sidewalk, herzalot, buggravy and 10 others like this.
  8. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Well this happened:

51761998855_ae79b38973_k.jpg

Firsborn took his eyes off the road, and natural consequences ensued. He's okay, but mentally shook hard. Nobody else hurt. Car is a big question mark... liability only, so have to decide how much money/time I want to throw at it. Beyond the body panels, I thiiiiiink it's only the subframe and control arms that are bent. If not structural, I can swap those out along with the steering rack which is ripped apart and probably get it running for $1,ooo in parts. Then scour the pick a parts for the remaining body parts to swap out over time. It's okay, I'm not busy with anything else.

9. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    Ouch....^^^^^
    When I first bought my 335is (used) I pulled up to a Starbucks and parked. Got an espresso, hopped back in the car and backed up. Rrrrrriiippppp.....WTF?

The front bumper cover was lower than the curb and hooked it.
    Front bumber cover, 2 headlights, 2 front fenders, paint. $7k.
    But damn, it was perfect when completed. And I don't think it was the first time it had happened.

Best of luck on the repair.

10. siata94

siata94 Well-Known Member

Name:
    siata
    Current Bike:
    lazy goat
    aw man, that's a huge bummer. Glad no one was hurt. On the bright side, that's a relatively cheap price to pay for some father-son quality time.

11. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Yeah, these front ends are looooow, and that's just the stock ride height! I'll eventually need a bumper cover, and maybe some of the support pieces, but fancy xenon lights are okay (I think)!

I actually like wrenching on cars (and bikes!), and it's sorta' therapeutic to be lying under one. But nobody is hurt, and the car was cheap ($5k), that's why we got it. Right now I'm into it $350 for the parts I just ordered from Pelican... I'll try patching it up and see from there! Steering rack is the next biggie, as it somehow shattered. But this first round is it just get it to the rolling point. At any point I can call it quits and sell it on CL to get a little something back.

Steps: 1) Right side Christmas re-build (just ordered parts that arrive Thursday/Friday)
    2) Get it rollable and have proper frame damage check and confirm if front diff is damaged.
    3) Steering rack R&R
    4) Airbag/modules/sensors/belt tensioner
    5) Drive!
    6) Front fender, passenger door, front bumper cover
    7) Good as new!

upload_2021-12-21_15-18-36.png

12. siata94

Name:
    siata
    Current Bike:
    lazy goat
    Also consider FCP Euro because their prices are both competitive and they offer no question asked lifetime warranty on all parts, even wear and tear stuff like rotors and pads. Some actually use that warranty, I wouldn't. Occasionally will also get from Pelican (drove to the pickup window last month) and Rockauto as well if it's the same exact brand/part.

13. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    What did he hit? Front wheel and tire look dirty, but not damaged....He didn't try to drive up Motorway did he???

14. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Thanks, I agree!!! I split between FCP and Pelican. I LOVE FCP's site and ordering process, but they are slow AF coming from the East Coast. Pelican has a crap website, but incredible call support which I've used a few times. And they ship from South Bay, so it usually gets here next day or two at most. I want to get this bolted together while I have a few days off and see what needs to be seen. I need to get a steering rack now, and am going to tempt fate and look for a used on ebay.

Crazy story: He first side-swiped a parked car. Just enough to hook the tire and bend it back. Didn't damage the front bumper or rearview mirror even, just the tire, door panels and fender. But he then over-corrected and somehow slingshot himself up around the parked car and into the driveway where he rear-ended another car. That did the front end damage and popped the airbag.

If his was a regular RWD car, it really wouldn't be that big of a deal. But stupid AWD system that we don't want or need bumps this up. More parts and harder to find. Regular RWD parts are a dime a dozen, but the fancy AWD stuff is a bit more precious.

15. siata94

Name:
    siata
    Current Bike:
    lazy goat
    When I replaced my steering rack, I found that BMW didn't sell new units anymore and they were all reman'ed. Ended up getting same exact one at Autozone for like $250 when dealer wanted around $1k.

16. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    I just bought a 79k mile one off of ebay... fingers crossed!

I had a '65 Mustang and while in the shop for a transmission problem, the steering rack disappeared! Someone actually lifted it from the damn car! The shop gave me a hard time about it, and didn't want to replace it. Finally did, but it took months!
    They're out of business and I'm still here!

Danmtchl, Sidewalk, tick and 4 others like this.
  17. Agent Orange

Agent Orange Member

Name:
    Yokel Legend
    Current Bike:
    '98 Specialized FSR Comp
    That's a PITA to do with pre-'68 Mustangs. I'm not even sure it's doable without the car being several feet in the air. Probably an inside job.

Danmtchl and Cyclotourist like this.
  18. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    VERY much was. They were rotten.

19. Rumpled

Name:
    Jim Martin
    Current Bike:
    I do not currently own a vehicle.
    Wrong time of year to be a full time bike commuter.

20211229_090259.jpg

20. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Uh oh. First - I hope everyone is alright. Second - what's the story? If you told it above, I forgot and I'm too lazy to search.

Danmtchl and Obsidian like this.
  21. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Saw this lineup at the Fashion Island valet in - where else - Newport Beach.

Decisions decisions...
    OnlyinNewport.jpg
    There's really only one choice for our active lifestyles, right?

22. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    Yup. Not a Lambo fan in general, but the Urus is a seriously cool vehicle.

23. Rumpled

Name:
    Jim Martin
    Current Bike:
    The Merc is totally unrelated, just was on the truck that took my truck away.
    My truck had the engine go out. 2 cylinders with large compression losses. Not gonna dump more $ into it. So, it got donated. I have a new Tacoma on "order" and it could be 2-3 months.

24. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    I’d still prefer the Audi version, I think. RSQ8

buggravy and Danmtchl like this.
  25. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    Nice but none of these would interest me, I saw this the other day at the VW dealership while getting my daughters car serviced. A Lotus Evora GTD9719B8A-E2BF-46E9-9E57-6A54D3C4B806.jpeg7E9B1318-B3FD-46FF-9B24-C85475A2CC0B.jpeg

26. Lost Kiwi

Lost Kiwi Well-Known Member

Name:
    Simon
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    I had the pleasure of a ride in one with some work colleagues on the autobahn. The way it effortlessly chewed through the miles at a very rapid rate well north of 100 mph with 5 people and luggage on board was staggering.

27. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    As would I :thumbsup:.

I haven't had the pleasure of driving one as it should be driven, but I found it equally impressive driving around city streets and parking lots. Rear wheel steering makes it surprisingly agile in urban maneuvering for a vehicle of its size.

28. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    On a very different note, I got to fiddle around with a surprisingly cool vehicle today. Shop manager at my LBS got a Ford Maverick. He was raving about it, and I've read positive reviews. Despite its diminutive exterior proportions it felt as spacious inside as I remember my Tacoma feeling. Looks like it could be a fun/practical runabout for a mountain biker, and a good value in the mid level AWD trim.

Sidewalk, Danimal, Voodoo Tom and 9 others like this.
  29. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Yeah, those are actually growing on me even though I swore that I'd never own another "truck". I saw one in town the other day and it looks nicer in person than in a picture on a page in a magazine.

30. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    It was a lovely few weeks we had together...

51793989987_cc3ac62a59_h.jpg

Sidewalk, Danmtchl, mtnbikej and 7 others like this.