The Automobile Thread

Discussion in 'Free Zone' started by buggravy, Oct 20, 2019.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Old&InTheWay

Old&InTheWay Well-Known Member

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    2017 Intense Primer Pro
    In the not too distant future human powered mountain bikes will be declared illegal because 1. the users will exhale more CO2 than e-bike riders and 2. they have no integral power supply for the mandatory tracking device. :coffee:

Sidewalk, mtnbikej, herzalot and 4 others like this.
  2. Luis

Luis iMTB Addict

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    La Diabla
    I’m sure the Europeans are wondering why they can’t bring their electric appliances to North America and just ‘plug them in’ :whistling:

3. Luis

Luis iMTB Addict

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    La Diabla
    It’s easier for the manufacturer to make random coded cylinders and leave it up to the end user to make the changes. Since I work at a evil Honda dealership and have made my living off parts inventories I can offer a little insight.
    Current Honda key codes use a letter plus 4 numerical digits for an individual key code. So imagine all the possible key codes that exist. If key cylinder manufacturers were to identify each code for each available lock, that would mean a different part number for each cylinder in order to identify it on the shelf. Not cost effective.
    What about ordering it based on code? It would add more time for the ordering process. Most people with busted locks are not willing to wait.
    Therefore we offer the opportunity to have the key cylinder recoded by a technician or a mobile locksmith.
    When selling cylinders over the counter we advise the do it yourself mechanics to simply take the lock to a locksmith and have them recode the cylinder to their original key.
    This is just Honda, I know other manufacturers might be different.

4. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Let's not mix countries here. They can keep their stuff over there, far away from here. We crossed The Pond way back when for good reason. :p

Luis and Danmtchl like this.
  5. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    For the short duration that I've owned my Honda, I'd say that I'm your best customer where lock replacement is concerned. :(:facepalm:

6. Luis

Luis iMTB Addict

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    La Diabla
    Unfortunately you’re not the only one helping me keep the lights on :unsure:

mtnbikej, herzalot, Danmtchl and 2 others like this.
  7. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    Appreciate the info.

Interesting. They hadnt mentioned that. I just figure as most cars come with a fob now it would supply a key with the snap top for the fob and not a key from 1985.

I might go to a locksmith and have it changed, but then if this punching of locks for theft is a common occurrence on Hondas then my key may stay as is until ready to sell. I made it work as one unit at least. :) .

20210817_152700.jpg

8. Rumpled

Rumpled Well-Known Member

Name:
    Jim Martin
    Current Bike:
    2018 Specialized Epic Carbon C
    Seems e-cars are following the bike industry in having easy to follow universal standards for their components.

Cyclotourist, herzalot and Danmtchl like this.
  9. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Well... The older keys weren't so great either. When our 2002 Yukon was broken into at the Irvine Spectrum, it was one of 15 GM vehicles that were hit at the same time. I learned that GM tumblers from the 90s all the way through the mid 2000s were an easy target. The door lock only used 3 tumblers, but the ignition used 7... So, if you had a random pile of GM keys, chances are you could open doors, even if you couldn't start the ignition. Good enough to rob the contents... Great if you hit a mall right before Christmas. :(

I learned that the hard way and lost a Canon 20D... The guy a few rows over lost 6 Apple laptops that he put in the trunk before returning inside for dinner. It was comical to see all the GM owners popping up as victims while we waited for the police... Suburbans, Corvettes, Hummers, Silverados, etc... :Roflmao

My 71 can be opened with a coat hanger, so I guess 3 tumblers and a more secure window were improvements... :Roflmao

10. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    LOL...I remember opening the door on my '79 Toyota pickup with a coat hanger on a few occasions. And I could also do my own spark plugs and other maintenance without going to the dealer.

11. Derkderkall

Derkderkall iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
  12. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    I now own TWO vehicles, a 1995 and a 2003. Neither are subject to emissions testing (though I am not a polluter).

13. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
  14. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    They have increased in size so much, certainly not appropriate for city driving. Can't fit in most parking spots, but they try. Round peg square hole kinda thing.

When does the progression to massive monster trucks end......

15. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    When you buy a Tacoma!!

Faust29, mtnbikej, buggravy and 3 others like this.
  16. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    A new Tacoma is MASSIVE compared to a couple decades ago.

Faust29, mtnbikej, Danimal and 3 others like this.
  17. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Jennifer calls those baby trucks!

mtbMike, Faust29, mtnbikej and 3 others like this.
  18. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    My 2019 Tacoma is wider than my co-workers 01 Tacoma. There are other differences also but that is the main one.

I will take my baby truck all day long!!

19. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    I live in a condo, some people are buying new full size extra cab pick up trucks. They're the same ones complaining that there seems to be less parking. Haha.. well your truck is 1.5 cars or more in length so deal with it.
    Now if it could fit in the garage that would be good, but I'm convinced the builder got paid off by Smart cars to make the garage smart car small..

And I'd like me a Tacoma or ranger.....oh yeah.

On another note, in the market for a new car for the wife, if I could convince her a truck is perfect for her...but that ain't happening....... have to get her out of my garage queen car.

20. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

I solve that problem by not going into the city.

My Ram fits into most parking spots.....occasionally we find ourselves somewhere where it's a bit tight....but it usually because the as*holes in the Camaro, BMV or MB can't figure out to park straight or within the lines.

However years ago we were in San Francisco at the UCSF Medical Center....trying to park a Dodge Caravan in the parking structure was an exercise in patience. That little van barely fit into any of the spots....let alone tryin to back out.

Faust29, Danimal, Danmtchl and 2 others like this.
  21. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    My CRV is all the truck I need anymore. It turns on a dime, it fits on a dime sized parking space, it has enough storage for anything two mtn bikers could ever need to bring on a long road trip, and it will get great fuel economy while its getting you from riding destination to riding destination.

Sidewalk, Faust29, Danmtchl and 2 others like this.
  22. Agent Orange

Agent Orange Member

Name:
    Yokel Legend
    Current Bike:
    '98 Specialized FSR Comp
    I had intended to get into a bigger truck by this time next year, but with shortages and inflation and prices climbing so much even on 15-20 year old rigs, I decided to keep my '04 Taco 5-lug (last of the small ones) for a few more years. I've always done all my own work except maybe engine machining, so I guess working on an older truck here and there will just be more of the same.

It's getting a small lift and conservative wheel/tire/gear upgrade this Fall though. That means rebuilding the spare differential with those gears which I've never done before. It's like building bicycle wheels; a "black art" that most people pay someone else to do.

Faust29, Danmtchl, herzalot and 4 others like this.
  23. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    Yep and scumball theif can punch the lock. So don't leave anything you want to keep in it. Like that hat? Take it with you. Camelback? It'll look good on that thieves back as he skips away.

And I really like my CR V, but way to easy to break in. And then the replacement key is from 1985.

Faust29 and Danmtchl like this.
  24. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Nope. I am too less-equal to let people like you razz me about it. And I don't like riding with a clock in my head telling me to go faster.

Faust29, Danmtchl and DangerDirtyD like this.
  25. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    I got in Instagram message today from a guy in Ukraine who purchased my totaled SQ5 here in the states, and had it shipped to him there. He said it's much cheaper to repair there. He just stumbled upon my IG car page after he got the car, which gives me hope that he's an enthusiast who is going to repair the car for his own use. It would be a cool story to follow. He did send me a pic of one of the wheels off the car, which I hadn't seen. Shows how ard the impact was, and pretty impressive to bend like this without cracking.

236BE60B-F031-4F2D-B59C-56F3FC18C578.jpeg

Luis, Old&InTheWay, Faust29 and 12 others like this.
  26. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    Anyone have a good dent repair guy in OC?

my daughter borrowed the Outback to go to the beach, since her car is at the shop waiting for a new motor. :bang: Looks like a guy in a truck that was too big for the parking spot caught the bumper while leaving.

I’ve got one lead for a place, but would like multiple quotes.

Faust29, Voodoo Tom, Danmtchl and 4 others like this.
  27. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    If you want the very best go to sterling collision in Tustin. It'll be as good as or better than new.
    If you want cheap though, it ain't the place.

28. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    The last time someone backed into her, the other person’s insurance covered Sterling. But that was a Cal Poly student with a conscience, not an OC suburban trucker with entitlement issues. So it’s coming out of my pocket.

29. Rumpled

Rumpled Well-Known Member

Name:
    Jim Martin
    Current Bike:
    2018 Specialized Epic Carbon C
    To me it so crazy that shipping it to the Ukraine and fixing it there could save so much $.
    I get labor could be a lot cheaper, but wouldn't decent parts still be pretty much the same cost?

Danmtchl and buggravy like this.
  30. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

I’m guessing Audi parts are much cheaper in Europe than they are in the IS.

Danmtchl and buggravy like this.