The Automobile Thread

Discussion in 'Free Zone' started by buggravy, Oct 20, 2019.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    I was reading that there was no space in the back of a Z. I was interested in one until I read a bunch of comments about space being so limited. If you can get a bike in there, I'll have another look (though if I recall, I couldn't find any manuals).

I agree about the roads. I had too much fun in my little Fiesta getting up to Big Bear. Though I would sometimes get a little too stupid, in my opinion. Why I was planning more track days, get it out of my system. Worked for me back in my motorcycle days.

mtnbikej, Cyclotourist and UPSed like this.
  2. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    I would have to order the Jeep. The only ones around are loaded with luxury items that add 10k (or more!) to the price tag of an already over priced vehicle.

I really should just admit to myself that I am not a new vehicle person. I just thought, maybe this once, I'll buy new and be happy with it.

3. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    I have no idea about the 400Z ... which will be very important to me if I want one or not. However, The 370Z can easily fit a 27.5 Intense Tracer with both wheels in the "hatch". 29er ... I am not sure.

4. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    Well, at least means I should give it another look.

mtnbikej and Danmtchl like this.
  5. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    If you act like a serious buyer, they will find you a manual. Plus, let them do the work.

6. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    No interest in a Toyota 86? Not enough power? My MTB would fit with the wheels off.

mtnbikej, Cyclotourist and Danmtchl like this.
  7. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    If you don’t need a car immediately, this is just about the worst time in history to go shopping. You’ll have better luck finding a bike as finding the exact right car.

8. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    Painfully sloooooooooooooooooow ... the new 86/BRZ looks like it has potential.

9. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Danmtchl, Obsidian and UPSed like this.
  10. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    86/FRS/BRZ seems like the worst of a Miata, and worst of a sedan. Horrible engine (not just power, but the torque curve!), heavy, no soft top, kinda pricey when you think about what you are getting. I want to like it, but I don't. And the new one gets more pork, so that's an immediate turn off.

Conclusion I have come to. I am going to wait. I still have an insurance settlement coming eventually and I told myself I would wait for it, but I started getting impatient with spring arriving.

11. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    Though I’d recommend a spin in a Bolt if you want something that’s like a Fiesta ST but better—with decent tires it’s a solid autocrosser, if you can stand the torque steer. And it’s a 1-speed, so call it a manual if it helps. I know the electric thing is a non-starter for some, but I honestly don’t miss the gas station or oil changes. We have a second car that handles road trips over 350 miles, so I get why it’s more acceptable to me than to others.

Danmtchl, Cyclotourist, UPSed and 3 others like this.
  12. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    I guess this is the part where I'm supposed to concede that it's just a car, but I just don't have that kind of relationship with my cars, especially this one. Kind of gutted right now. Most importantly I wasn't in the car when it happened, and the Uber driver (with an empty car) who apparently fell asleep at the wheel before plowing into my car walked away mostly unscathed. At least I know a guy who can give me a good deal on a new one.

IMG_7305.jpg

IMG_7301.jpg

Faust29, RIGID, scan and 8 others like this.
  13. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    That really sucks.......at least you guys weren't hurt.

On another note....I really despise all these rideshare businesses.....non professional drivers trying to be professional drivers. Just a recipe for disaster.

Sidewalk, Faust29, Danmtchl and 5 others like this.
  14. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    OUCH!! :(

Sidewalk, Faust29, Danmtchl and 3 others like this.
  15. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    Glad you were not hurt, but that sucks. Its resale value just went way down through no fault of your own. CarFax tells no lies.

That is a pretty badass shade of blue though.

Faust29, Danmtchl and Cyclotourist like this.
  16. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    I sure hope it gets totaled out. 3 panels of body damage aside, the rear axle is about 3 inches fore of where it used to be, there are air suspensions parts and sensors hanging everywhere, there's a crumple in the C-Pillar, and I have to think the frame is bent. Guy never hit his brakes, and my car ended up about 8 feet from where I parked it, after it bounced off the curb. It will never be the same if they try to repair it. I'm probably in for a fight.

Actually, the impact was hard enough that it triggered the SOS system, and since I wasn't in the car to answer that I was alright it called in the cavalry. Police and fire were there within 3 minutes of impact.

Faust29, Obsidian, herzalot and 2 others like this.
  17. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    Yep. He is actually an Uber AND Lyft driver, who have been more or less working around the clock. The cop asked him when was the last time he slept, and he responded that he didn't know.

Sidewalk, Faust29, RIGID and 3 others like this.
  18. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Sorry @buggravy Glad you and the fam weren't in it at the time!

Rideshare companies suck. But so do taxi companies. More people should just ride a damn bike.

Sidewalk, Faust29, RIGID and 5 others like this.
  19. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    Glad you and your family weren’t in it. Hope that UBER driver gets canned.

Faust29, RIGID and mtnbikej like this.
  20. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    I didn't know you still had the SQ5. What a disaster. As others have said, glad you weren't in it. I know that car was a labor of love for you. I too hope they total it for you. No way to recoup what the car was worth.

21. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    This actually is/was a newer SQ5. I missed the old one so much, and was painfully bored with the E-tron, so I ended up trading it on this one back in November. I'm a bit worried that the higher value with it being new is going to really motivate insurance not to total it.

Faust29, Danmtchl, RIGID and 3 others like this.
  22. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    I will be shocked if that gets totaled. Sucks ... but I had $11,500 damage on a 4 year old car from an 18 year old girl rear ending me on the 405 and they did not total it. They fixed it with a nice CarFax report. I will be curious to see the outcome of this.

23. RIGID

RIGID Member

Name:
    bandman
    @buggravy Glad there were no serious injuries involved.
    Sucks that it was parked at the wrong place at the wrong time.
    Hopefully the collision center will consider it a loss.
    No one wants to ride with 10lbs. of Bondo in the back.

Danmtchl, Faust29, Obsidian and 2 others like this.
  24. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Sounds totaled to me if there's that much damage.

25. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    I don't have anywhere to charge, so that means MORE time at a gas station compared to now.

For around town use I ride a bike. I drive when I need to get big items, or take my bikes places. At times when I am traveling solo in good weather I will travel with the car (Mammoth, Big Bear, Sedona, etc) as my alternative to driving my ambulance. At least that is the idea. And I would like to be able to trailer, and I don't want to stress the ambo with that (though a lot of people do).

Every time I drive the ambulance though I just like it. So much character. Damn 7.3 Powerstroke is so smooth after all these years and miles.

THAT is what jumps out at me.

26. Derkderkall

Derkderkall iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
  27. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Any car mechanics here? My wife's '08 Civic EX started acting up a few days ago.

Two things:
    1) It will drain a brand new battery dead overnight, so I am pulling the negative cable off when it's parked.

2) Rough idle and drops low momentarily enough to almost stall it when any switch is turned on (overhead light, power door locks,...)

I had the alternator and starter tested for power drain/function at two places. Each passed both times.

herzalot, Danmtchl, Luis and 2 others like this.
  28. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals

You need a new bike.

Probably a short somewhere. Maybe the electronic version of whatever the distributor became.

Sidewalk, herzalot, Danmtchl and 2 others like this.
  29. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    I think it's got the covid, get it a vaccine.

Seriously though, if you have the time, take your time and pull a Fuse and see if it continues to drain overnight. If no change,, Then reinstall and try another one, until you narrow it down to a circuit.

You should be able to check current flow from the battery with a meter, and watch for any change as a Fuse is pulled and save the overnight wait.

Maybe the trunk light switch is broken and stuck on or such. Little crap like that is a bitch to figure out.

Sidewalk, herzalot, mtnbikej and 5 others like this.
  30. Lost Kiwi

Lost Kiwi Well-Known Member

Name:
    Simon
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    What @Danimal said, get yourself a multi-meter and pull the fuses. You'll be able to narrow down the circuit thats a problem and then go from there. Shouldn't take to long.