The Automobile Thread

Discussion in 'Free Zone' started by buggravy, Oct 20, 2019.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Derkderkall

Derkderkall iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
    Looks like I caught the corner of the tranny pan and busted it

2021 vehicle = 450 dollar replacement
    $200 for fluid
    $ $100 for new gasket.

Being dumb is expensive

Danmtchl, herzalot, mtnbikej and 4 others like this.
  2. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Warranty!

"I was just driving along when..."

Danmtchl and Cyclotourist like this.
  3. Rumpled

Rumpled Well-Known Member

Name:
    Jim Martin
    Current Bike:
    2018 Specialized Epic Carbon C
    Still cheaper than grenading the tranny if you kept driving it.

Derkderkall, Sidewalk and Danmtchl like this.
  4. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    Got to spend some brief time behind the wheel of this beast yesterday. So much want. It's easy to say that these overpowered large SUVs are the poster children of excess, but man, I can't imagine a better vehicle for rapidly transporting a family and their adventure gear up the 395, and making easy work of the snow while there (with a wheel and tire change, of course).

IMG_7193.jpg

5. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    Don't you mean HUMMER. Talk about screaming excess.

6. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    That looks fun. RSQ8?

Cyclotourist, Danmtchl and buggravy like this.
  7. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    Yup. I thought about you when I drove it.

8. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    I’d say this one’s pretty excessive in its own way. To each his own, but a zillion horsepower station wagon on donks isn’t exactly “understated elegance.”

9. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    Haha, well said.

10. Derkderkall

Derkderkall iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
  11. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    Still undecided on what I want to buy to replace my Fiesta. Currently leaders are (in no order):

4 door Wrangler Rubicon
    4 door Wrangler most basic version
    Subaru Crosstrek

Rubicon is a pay once cry once (or, every month for a few years) for a turn key do everything vehicle.
    Stripped down version is a pay very little now, no frills, but sky is the limit when I want to play with it.
    Crosstrek is cheap transportation that will get me where I want to run or ride. The smarter choice.

Planning to buy new, hoping this will be my last (and only second) new vehicle.

(My wants are for a toy, like a Miata, Type R or Camaro 1LE, but I am trying to be smart)

12. Sasquatch9billion

Sasquatch9billion iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    trinidad j. mendez
    Type-R should fit your bike in the hatch.

13. Robbie

Robbie Guest

I'm also undecided, time to replace my 2011 Tacoma 4WD TRD. Was looking at the Gladiators...Jeep has some nice stuff...but I seldom use the off-road capabilities of the Tacoma. The Rubicon are too much $$, base model is too basic. Just need something for snow and bad dirt roads to get to trailheads. I might get a Honda Ridgeline, it is an SUV with a truck bed, but much better for pavement driving

14. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    If all of your rides were local I would say either Jeep would be fun. Otherwise, if you travel a lot, the Subaru would be the wiser choice. Pretty sure Jeeps don't get the best mileage.

15. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    If the Ridgeline had a manual transmission, I would be driving it right now.

I used to have a pretty modified Bronco II that didn't have a single straight body panel, I definitely pushed the off road limits of that thing. Welded rear diff was fun.

Yep, which did give me a lot of thought (also why I scratched the Veloster). But I am for one afraid it will turn me into (more of) an ******* driver. And it will have a very difficult time of ANY dirt road. Plus I would need to buy new wheels right away or risk destroying the stock 20's (fine, I can put track tires on the 20's).

Compared to the ambulance, 15 MPG with diesel, any Jeep is good :p

But that is a selling point of the Subie.

16. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    I have a few friends with Jeep’s and they are maintenance nightmares. They always seem to be in the shop for something.

17. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    That is one major downside, quality control, or lack of with Heep. Part of my desire for the bare bones base model.

Also, the base model is easy to work on. Once outside of warranty I can and will do everything myself.

18. AKAKTM

AKAKTM Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tony A
    Order a new Bronco

Danmtchl, Cyclotourist, tick and 2 others like this.
  19. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    Nah, I crossed that off my list a while ago.

-Not excited about a turbo engine on a 4x4. Not a deal breaker, but...
    -They are so backlogged on orders that you won't be able to get one for a LONG time.
    -I'm a life long Ford guy...but they have done a WONDERFUL job of botching new vehicles lately. The RS with the wrong head gasket, bad manual transmission in the Mustang, bad auto trans in the Focus/Fiesta, Bronco Sport rear subframe not bolted in, and more! Who knows if the Bronco will be a POS?
    -I would rather have a solid front axle over IFS. Another not deal breaker, but since I'm really not into it.

As a Ford guy I really want to like it, I just have concerns. And I'm not going vehicle less for years while I wait and see.

20. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    Get the one you will keep. Buying a crosstrek would be sensible only if you think you won’t grow weary of it and move it on in two years...we’re learning that with our Outback: we’re at 6 years and 100k. It should go another 100k and be cheap to own for another 6 years. But we’re bored with it. So we lived through the depreciation years, only to consider starting it all over.

I never got bored with my 4runner.

21. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    As I've watched vehicle prices go north, I've long ago come to the conclusion that a vehicle is a device to get me from Point A to Point B, sometimes via Points X & Y. Maybe Z. I don't get bored with vehicles. The warranty period comes to an end, and I get something else.

This from a guy who owned an AMC Gremlin... and was unashamed. :facepalm::laugh::laugh:

22. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    Funny enough, the longer I had my Fiesta, the more I liked it, not bored with it. It was just a tool, but like your favorite Crescent, I just loved it. Like a Crescent, I used it like a hammer and a lever (track day with 120 HP? Why not? Camping out down dirt roads I shouldn't be on? Let's do it!)

Goal would be to eventually have a toy car, one of the reasons I'm trying to convince myself to get a cheap utilitarian car so I can eventually buy a home, then eventually have a garage for a toy.

But mid life crisis is hard :cry:

23. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    Yep...I was looking at the Gladiators just to learn about them and they are having nightmares with that engine. Several stories online.

24. pperrelle

pperrelle iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ripley V4 & Ripmo V2
    Yep, I used to own a Jeep Grand Cherokee. I got rid of it as soon as the extended warranty ran out. It’s not a good thing to know your service advisor on a first name basis. I replaced it with a Toyota 4Runner. Other than a recall or two it’s only seen a mechanic for scheduled maintenance.

25. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    I had a 1976 CJ-5, and it would die at unpredictable intervals. Engine would quit. It would restart on its own schedule, which was shared with no one. I replaced the entire ignition system - didn't help. Finally sold it at a loss since that saved me money.

Jeeps are badass when they run...just can't count on them running. :(

And the YJ Wanker didn't help matters at all. :rolleyes:

26. AKAKTM

AKAKTM Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tony A
    I've driven a new Bronco Sport Badlands for a couple of weeks and was very impressed and I've had three Gen II Raptors and am blown away by them.

A couple of months ago I went out to King of the Hammers and got to get up close and personal with the Bronco. Really amazing vehicle and the test rides they were giving were not easy and were aggressive both for rock crawling and for open desert running. Though you are right in that they seem to be sold out for the first 18 - 24 months. I put in a pre-order and deposit on one the second day and just leaned the entire first year of orders sold out on the first day so mine will have to wait until 2022. I suppose this has made me a Ford guy.

27. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    I definitely feel aimed at by the Bronco marketing...

they are leaning into Jeep’s research: the most surprising vehicle that’s cross-shopped with the Wrangler? A ski boat.

definitely midlife crisis toys. And I’m good with that.

I was out at my parents’ place on the south side of Johnson Valley for Hammers weekend. It seemed more sedate than usual—the cloud of dust was several thousand feet shallower than I remember.

Old&InTheWay, mtbMike, UPSed and 5 others like this.
  28. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    I wasn't bored with my Q5 after 11 years and 175,000 miles. I bought another, letting someone else pay the depreciation through a 3-year lease.

Enough ground clearance to go off road. Phenomenal in snow. Incredible to drive. Hauls everything I need. But - no macho aesthetic - so dealbreaker for many of you.

29. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    I would consider a Sport...if it had a manual.

Ford abandoning the manual AND car market is just a let down. A new FOcus RS would be hard to turn down. I considered waiting to see the new Golf R, but I hesitate with long term VW reliability and they are a little more than I want to pay. In reality, the Type R is probably the better car.

30. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Okay. Changing my vote to the Type R. Poor mileage for a Civic but who cares? Just don't take it off road. :whistling: