Talk to me Goose

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Obsidian, Oct 6, 2021.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    Mikie, Danmtchl, Cyclotourist and 6 others like this.
  2. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Let's see where it goes.... Frankly, I think it's the fork that could use the technology first!

Mikie, Danmtchl, Cyclotourist and 2 others like this.
  3. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    In my experience Suspension lockout is seldom used. Haven't needed it with the new sus types in many years. Now if you're a dual crown DH friend that like to climb than it might be useful.

Fox talas, seldom used it.
    Rear lockout, tried it on each bike once it twice. Then not again.
    Rear trail mode, occasionally.
    Front lockout, nope.
    Front trail, nope.

New shock with auto..nope.

YMMV.

da big hills, Mikie, Danmtchl and 3 others like this.
  4. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I read the Pinkbike article yesterday which had more details... The system isn't just a lockout, but has an on-the-fly adjustment range of 0-100, and takes sensor input from the fork, shock, and cranks. Three little computers. What could go wrong?! :laugh: Pretty interesting, though... I'll never use such a complicated beast, but I'm sure others will. The part that really caught my eye was the rubber pucks in the new forks which supposedly reduce chatter. All that electronic wizardry, and the 6 cent rubber bits will probably have the most impact.

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/review-rockshox-flight-attendant.html

When I read it, I thought of the Canyon Strive... Which essentially does sorta the same thing, but manually and not in real time. Not a new concept, but their iteration seems to have market staying power.

https://www.canyon.com/en-us/mountain-bikes/enduro-bikes/strive/

Mikie, Danmtchl, Cyclotourist and 3 others like this.
  5. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    Perfect for the eBike crowd! Batteries for everyone!

The SSers, not so much.

Mikie, Danmtchl, Cyclotourist and 3 others like this.
  6. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Put me in the group of "no thanks".

Eventually everything on your bike is gonna have to have a wifi connection to work.

The more electronics, the less it becomes a bike.

7. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    Fair enough. Other than dialing in excessive rebound, I have no idea what I am doing with the suspension. I just want someone or something to set the bike up and I just want to ride ... Kimi Raikonen style.

@UPSed understands. :laugh:

8. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Yes! How cool would that be? Set your air pressures and let the electronics do the rest! One day maybe....:whistling:

9. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Pretty soon the computers will adjust the fork, shock, gear ratios, air pressure in the tires, and the rider's feeding tube!

10. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    Are you not the one one running AXS? I mean, I lock my shock out constantly. It is the only way I can get my shitty Costco bike up the ups. I suck at riding though, so do not listen to me. I am all about computers telling me what is best.

da big hills, herzalot, Mikie and 4 others like this.
  11. senderos_949

senderos_949 Member

Name:
    Randy Morris
    Current Bike:
    Marin Mt Vision Pro

I thought this from Pinkbike was an interesting insight for those that like long-travel bikes:

"With Flight Attendant, any concerns I may have had about the Enduro's pedaling efficiency were completely erased.
    At one point, thanks to a slight miscommunication, I ended up on an XC ride with two buddies, one on a Specialized Epic and the other on a Transition Spur. To help bridge the gap I bumped up the Flight Attendant's Bias level to the firmest position, which made it so that it placed more of a priority on being in the fully locked out setting, and then proceeded to pedal my brains out.
    Did those electronics completely level the playing field? Definitely not, but they did take one of the advantages of those shorter travel bikes off the table. The Enduro's weight and geometry meant that it still wasn't an even match, but it was nice to be able to stand and sprint without any mushiness, and then when the suspension automatically opened up on the descents I was able to reap the benefits of bringing that big bike along."[/QUOTE]

herzalot, Mikie, Danmtchl and 2 others like this.
  12. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    I'm constantly locking/unlocking my shock, and would really like something thumb actuated like they have on the Spark or Blur. Not into electric bits and pieces though... KISS!

13. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    I received an email from YT this morning telling me that they already have Capra's and Jeffsy's with this active suspension.

Unrelated .... mostly ... but who is super excited for Top Gun II? Me!

14. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Needs more Tomcat.

herzalot, Mikie and Danmtchl like this.
  15. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    I think it's @Danmtchl that has AXS.
    Me, I'm all analog shifting, no electricity here.
    I saw one of the intense Costco bikes on the trail the other day, not bad for the money. But thinking you're not being "accurate" in your riding abilities :sneaky:

herzalot, Mikie, Obsidian and 2 others like this.
  16. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    [/QUOTE]
    # https://www.imtbtrails.com/forum/threads/chilao-after-dark.10374/page-2#post-262845

Mikie, Danmtchl and Cyclotourist like this.
  17. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    I do have AXS XX1 and man I could not be happier with it. The shifting is perfect every time. I’ve never had an issue with it, in the 9 months I’ve had it. It is expensive but thankfully I get an EP discount or otherwise I’d probably of waited for the GX AXS to come out.

I know it’s not for everyone and my other bike is mechanical ( 8 speed XTR) and there is nothing wrong with it since it still works just fine.

The flight attendant stuff looks cool, but I was wondering if you could run just the fork or do you have to run the fork, shock and crank to make it all work. I still have to do the testing for it and see how it works. I’d wait a few years for them to dial it in to purchase it if I was still interested in that type of thing.

Old&InTheWay, Mikie, Obsidian and 5 others like this.
  18. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    I luvs me Spark!!! 3 position lockout , simultaneous front and back. You can't beat it for efficiency at your fingertips. If you geek out on efficiency you would appreciate it. Even with some of the modern suspension systems there is a certain trade off between soaking up chatter and good climbing. No batteries needed, wifi, etc.
    Nino likes it....so there's that:thumbsup:

Cyclotourist, Danmtchl, Mikie and 2 others like this.
  19. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Probably in the No Thanks column.
    But I lock out Fluffy all the time. I even lock out my fork on the DV9 on climbs and on flow trails.
    No surprise this tech would begin to appear.
    I just wanna ride my bike. :geek:

20. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    I *never* touch my fork but will flip the climb/firm switch on the shock if I know I'm in for a long haul of a climb. I'm less likely to flip the switch on my DB Inline of the Ripley and more likely to flip it on the Float X2 on the HD5.

Mikie, Cyclotourist and Danmtchl like this.
  21. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Monkey motion while climbing seems to come mostly from the fork, since rear suspension designs are really good these days. When I had a three-position switch on my fork (RCT3, or Fox CTD, etc) I used it to calm the fork climbing - especially on fireroads and pavement. But my current forks don't have anything to calm them down, so they bob along and suck up energy.

That said, I am really not interested in auto-limiters, computers, chips, or other do-hickeys to think for me. Just a three-position switch - that's all I need. And this lamp...

Danmtchl, Redman, mtnbikej and 3 others like this.
  22. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I can name that movie in 3 words, Bob!

herzalot, Luis, Danimal and 6 others like this.
  23. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    Love the reference @herzalot ! Mikie was right on it too! We just need an Optigrab equivalent for shock lockouts LOL.....or not

Mikie, Luis and Walleye like this.
  24. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    That's it! 4K climbing routine with a lockout!

herzalot and Mikie like this.
  25. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    As many things as they got wrong in the first one (almost as bad as "The Final Countdown,") I admit to having zero desire to see this one.

Mikie likes this.
  26. da big hills

da big hills iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    [/QUOTE]
    I tend to use my full travel on most rides. Thus my shocks are not all that soft, not a lot of bob when out of the saddle. I also love compressing the rear and popping up big bed rock on the trail. It comes in handy when climbing things like the back of Chumash and the Bird. I tend to make the trails a little wider tonight. Um every other night. Once Lord willing I get my FAA clearance and I return to the saddle I may dial it back a bit and maybe slow down. I probably will not fly as much but I do not believe Mikie my hero has slowed down. I love my Enduro; long travel, large diameter stanchions means my front wheel never washes out. The heavy beast has served me well as it runs over everything out off the edge and allows me time to return to the tread. A few times crushing the chaparral taller than me. Lucky me only chaparral a few times but the sage scrub is no match for the wrath of the Enduro.

Mikie, Obsidian, Danimal and 2 others like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?