Talk to me about chains

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by stevers, Aug 29, 2019.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. stevers

stevers Member

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    2018 Kingdom Vendetta X2
    Last year, I moved all my 9-speed Shimano drivetrains to all SRAM 11 and 12 speed. In the 9 speed days, I noticed no real difference between SLX and XTR chains, so I ended up always using lower end chains and replacing them more often. Now with the SRAM PC-1130 11 speed chains, they seem to last about 200 miles each before the stretch meter shows significant wear at 0.75 - 1.0. 1200 miles in the last year, and gone through 6 11-speed chains. I recently acquired a used XX1 eagle drivetrain, including the blingy gold XX1 chain. I thought it weird to use a used chain, but put it on anyways. Now it's been 150 miles on the USED XX1 chain and I'm still between 0.25 and 0.5. Are higher end chains really worth it, or maybe something with eagle chains wearing better? What are your experiences? $80 for an XX1 chain seems crazy, but if it lasts 3x longer, then maybe it's worth it?

2. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    IME, higher priced chains are usually about weight savings. To shave weight from anything, material is removed or lighter materials replace standard materials.

To be stretching any chain at 200 miles is extraordinary. Do you stand and mash on a regular basis?

I recently replaced the Eagle GX chain on my FEX and although I do not know it's actual mileage (I bought the bike slightly used), I figured it had 800-1000 miles on it. It was stretched but just barely. I find that my Eagle drivetrain (Eagle GX) shifts more smoothly than any other drivetrain I have used...BUT... it is also extremely sensitive. It's got to be wiped/brushed after every ride to keep it shifting silky smooth.

3. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    KMC x12 chain. I generally get several 100 miles more out of KMC chains than I do out of SRAM chains.

With the extreme chain lines you get with 11/12 spd drivetrains, chains do wear out faster.

4. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '20 Pivot Firebird 29
    :eek: 6 chains in a year? You must be a beast. Wow!

I think I last replaced my 11 spd KMC chain about two years ago. I haven't noticed any issues yet. Clearly I don't ride as often or as far as many of you,

5. bvader

bvader Well-Known Member

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Stating obvious here keeping chain clean and lubed add miles in my book. Agree that's a lot of chains

6. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower/Yeti 5C
    Wowtch! That is a high turnover in chain consumption. I replace my chain probably twice a year? Was using XX0 but now using Sram GX now and find they work and last just as long on my 12 speed Eagle.

7. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, blue one, black one
    You guys are making me feel like I'm neglecting my bikes. Let's see...
    Pivot Les 11 speed nearing 7,000 miles, put 2 XT chains on it. Admittedly have run this one too far though and will be replacing everything soon.
    Ripley 11 speed well over 4,000 miles with at least 2,500 on the current xx1 chain.
    Hightower has over 2,000 on the xx1 eagle. I'll be changing it soon even though it doesn't show 0.5 wear yet.
    Hmm maybe I should stick with the Rock n Roll gold lube...

8. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Tallboy Upgrade
    You're supposed to replace the chain???

9. stevers

stevers Member

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    2018 Kingdom Vendetta X2
    Actually, it would be 4 chains, since i’m on my 5th and 6th now. Late night math... ::shamed to be asian:: Still, crazy fast wear. I’ll check my chainrings - maybe they're worn and prematurely wearing the chain.

I am 230lbs (and as high as 290), and spend most of the time on the big ring. I lube about once every week, between the bikes that’s every 10 rides/65 miles.

10. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:

I get about 1100 miles on 10 spd KMC chains on the SS.

My GX 12 spd chain burned out in about 950 miles.

11. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    I always buy the cheapest 11spd KMC chains. Usually go through 3-4 chains per cassette. I agree with @mtnbikej 's mileage numbers.
    8spd chain on my commuter lasts forever... Hmmm:unsure:

12. stevers

stevers Member

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    2018 Kingdom Vendetta X2
    I don’t stand and mash, but i am always on granny. I’m thinking it might be time for a new cassette and chainring.

What is the GX level? I’ve used PC-1100 and PC-1130s.

MrGreedom and Old&InTheWay like this.
  13. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
  14. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    Doesn't matter.....don't buy another one.

All my SRAM chains have been replaced with KMC chains. 10.93 spd for SS, 11.93 for my Hightower and X12 for Suz's Tallboy. Even the CX bike has a 11.93 chain on it. All of these can be found for under $25.

stevers, MrGreedom, herzalot and 4 others like this.
  15. Grego

Grego iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    Yeah I'm a little behind in drivetrain maintenance. Haven't replaced the 11s chain on the WFO9 since I broke it on the 2017 Hellacious ride. Got to have at least 3,000 miles on it. No chain checker needed, it's stretched. Don't do what I do.?:confused:

Want to donate to imtbtrails?