Tailwind...

Discussion in 'Health' started by BonsaiNut, Sep 25, 2017.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    See....I've gone upwards of 10-11 hrs on just TW with no food. That is the simplicity that I like.

And you are correct, while TW isn't cheap....it is cheaper than buying bars, gels and other electrolyte mixes combined.

Faust29, herzalot, Voodoo Tom and 5 others like this.
  2. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    I'm here to tell you somebody got that totally wrong. :sneaky::devilish:

Faust29, herzalot, Voodoo Tom and 8 others like this.
  3. StrandLeper

StrandLeper Well-Known Member

Name:
    Timothy M. Ryan
    Current Bike:
    SC Bronson 1x/Pivot 429 1x xtr
    I am a fan. I will be using it for the dawn to dusk Whitney assault with my son coming up soon. I have gone 50-100 miles in a day, 5-12,000 feet of climbing with Tailwinds and I can only remember cramping one time (the climb out of Old Camp after the Joplin drop after the time up Maple Springs (and doing a Motorway drop) for my New Year's day 50 last year) - and I chugged some TW and it went away. I think J rode this with me (or better, I rode it with J). Light posting and riding lately. Massive new portfolio of MBS litigation that my firm is handling - fun fun fun - gonna need my TW at work!

4. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    Just got a new bag yesterday. I think @UPSed rode it out here after his regular route just to make sure he wasn't having a placebo effect. He's posted this morning so it must work!

Redman, Faust29, herzalot and 7 others like this.
  5. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    I knew I was forgetting something. I forgot to post in I "road" my bike today. :D:p:gag:

Faust29, herzalot, Cornholio and 3 others like this.
  6. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    Settled science.

Faust29, Cornholio, Mikie and 3 others like this.
  7. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    Just having it in my house, I have noticed a dramatic improvement in the ease with which I can complete 12 oz. curls!

Sidewalk, LLPoolJ, Faust29 and 11 others like this.
  8. Luis

Luis iMTB Addict

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    La Diabla
    Tailwind you say???

9. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    If you see a great movie... you share it. If you found a great restaurant... you share it. I found a great product... so I shared it. You don't want to use it? I don't care.
    That's not what is going on here. If you don't believe it, then don't use it. But the naysaying that it does not deliver or it's just like the rest of the stuff out there without trying it is bogus. My only gripe.

Sidewalk, riiz, DangerDirtyD and 8 others like this.
  10. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I don't exactly agree with that statement.:eek: People go for clinical testing and are told they are receiving something to alter something. They do not know if they are getting the real deal, or an imposter. But based on the presumption they are getting the real deal they may be fooled into thinking they have indeed received the real deal and may convince themselves of some element of change.

Tailwinds is not a placebo. Tailwinds is different then anything I have ever used. It works, it delivers, I have found nothing to replace it and quite frankly I stopped looking.

Folks, please DO NOT use Tailwinds, especially @scan and @rossage! It just means there is more for the results oriented open minded mountain bikers.:thumbsup::rolleyes:
    :coffee: That is all...

11. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    You personally told me I should try it after a long soliloquy as to its many benefits.
    I don't want to use it and I don't care either!

scan, Cyclotourist, Faust29 and 4 others like this.
  12. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Please do not use Tailwinds. Thanks!:thumbsup:

riiz, Cyclotourist, herzalot and 3 others like this.
  13. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I think he should try it. My mother made me eat my vegetables growing up. Why should he get a pass? :p

Old&InTheWay, kioti, scan and 8 others like this.
  14. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    Oh you guys are in for it now. Ride report coming up tomorrow... the TAILWINDS version!

Sidewalk, riiz, Cyclotourist and 6 others like this.
  15. Luis

Luis iMTB Addict

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    La Diabla
    I got to google three words today :geek:

Proselytizing :devilish:
    Placebo :coffee:
    Soliloquy :mad:

Next up: Erythropoietin :speechless:

16. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Don't forget invidious.

Sidewalk, kioti, Cyclotourist and 4 others like this.
  17. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    See, I would never tell @rossage to try Tailwinds, because whatever he's doing obviously works for him...I'm pretty sure he could ride me under his tires. And then there's the whole van thingy...

DangerDirtyD, kioti, scan and 5 others like this.
  18. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    Wow, stirred up a hornets nest!!!

First of all I don't discount he benefits you are telling me and the other 3/8's of imtb (lol). I BELIEVE YOU. It's the same way I feel about pickle relish, mustard packs and Airborne for colds. They work for ME, maybe not for you. So I'm not challenging your belief in the product.
    Ross said it well , the idea of "proselityzng". There are so many products out there!!! Kind of like diets!!

The main thing that makes me a skeptic is because of the INGREDIENTS.......There just about the same as many other sports drinks!!!!

You mention a viable FOOD source above, but all it is SUGARS, calcium, magnesium....very common in other drinks!!!

I went to a course for work and the head MD of the orthopedic dept of UCLA commented on Glucosamine chondroitin. It is an over the counter "nutra ceutical" unregulated.
    He said "If you take it and it works great! If it doesn't then you have expensive URINE"

So products can work and may actually benefit us, but again the placebo affect can't be overlooked. If it works great!! I'll still take pickle relish, mustard (although there have been some studies of the possible mechanism with regards to cramps) and Airborne because they work for me!

Sooo it just puzzles me that the ingredients give you such amazing results......but they do and I BELIEVE the work for you.

"Tooalk amongst yourselves"

19. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.

Those guys doing the Leadville 100 on foot should just pop a Gatorade or Pepsi, then. It's all the same...

Runs with Scissors and Mikie like this.
  20. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    Pepsi is not a sport drink, nothing like gatorade.

Mikie likes this.
  21. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    although there are people who use those and it works!!

Mikie likes this.
  22. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    I will only try Tailwind if Kelly Slater uses it... :inlove: :oops:

23. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    My point is... If it didn't work, what do you think would happen to a body during a 100 mile run? Do you really think the body could fool itself with a placebo in that case?

I really don't care if anyone uses it... And personally, I think most on this forum over-fuel during and after rides. A 15 mile ride isn't reason enough for the triple cheeseburger and 3 beers...

But... If I'm out for 10 hours with no available food and water sources, there aren't many products than I can physically carry enough of. And then factor in the consistent intake, and it's a no-brainer if I can get calories/electrolytes/water all in one. Stopping every so often to eat GUs, gels, sandwiches, etc ain't gonna cut it...

24. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    No you won't.....It got yer ass through Palm Canyon. :speechless: :rolleyes::cautious:

25. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I think he may have needed a swig or two on Golden Eagle!

kioti, Cyclotourist, herzalot and 3 others like this.
  26. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    I have tried a lot of other "products". They all work for a short time. However once the rides started to get over a couple of hours, issues began to arise. GI issues. Yup, they had the same ingredients, but the amounts and combinations were off....too much of some, not enough of others. Add to that the amount of stopping to eat on a regular basis. Cramps, gas, bloating. Once I got on TW these issues went away.....FOR ME. Long days on the bike went much smoother. Less stops to eat....taking in the calories I need on the go.....plus hydration.

Organized rides and group rides kinda suck....especially when we do stop for a food break....watching others eat sometimes looks nice. Plus all the foods at the Aid Stations...but I don't mix food with my TW. When I start doing that....the problems from above return.

DangerDirtyD, kioti, Luis and 9 others like this.
  27. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    Sure it is! And a 10 mile ride is enough reason for a double cheeseburger and 3 beers. A five mile ride is reason enough for 3 beers. You should have 2 beers when sulking due to no ride. Quit trying to ruin my reasoning!

DangerDirtyD, kioti, UPSed and 9 others like this.
  28. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I notice ever since I started using TW, my car starts more consistently. I have received bigger bonuses at work. I get more compliments about my tractor. My pillow is more fluffy. My steak knife stays sharper.....longer! It's cleared up my acne and I shave less. I have also noticed that the nights have been a little warmer, and there may be more oxygen at my altitude. The dogs food has been lasting longer and I can tolerate sitting closer to people who enjoy IPA beers.
    I have observed that I'm now immune to poison oak, poison ivy, poodle Dawg, poodles and dogs, ticks, mosquitos, mojitos and l like Long Island ice teas.
    Tailwinds has changed my life! I'm a better man because of it.

29. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    I did poach from J's TW bottle on Golden Eagle, which staved off the cramping until safely tucked in the back seat of your truck - not moving.

30. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I think this is the big stumbling block, and why we're talking about two completely different sets of needs as riders in this thread.

I could fuel with just about anything for a short ride... Heck, I do the climbing portion of Maple-Motorway on coffee and Red Bull. :whistling:

It’s when the rides push past your comfort zone that the fueling strategy becomes more important, and the product choices decrease.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?