Sunscreen, Who's Using What?

Discussion in 'Health' started by Cornholio, May 22, 2017.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    Same. Thin long-sleeve riding Jersey in hot weather/full sun. Always have a buff on for neck protection. I haven't found a way around some zink oxide based sun block on my schnoz and face between beard and shades. Hairy legs and a layer of dirt have always provided enough protection below the waist.

2. Sasquatch9billion

Sasquatch9billion iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    trinidad j. mendez
    This is the best stuff I've found as far as UV protection for my face. It's relatively light, SPF 50+, non-greasy, and only leaves a small trace of white cast. I steal it from my wife. :laugh:

tbn:ANd9GcSMDwYrHOgqwxKW6-pjqm3OtlvQoQJJ6YX8GHdUrDoqpqrfjIaYBYbRGHH7jswK7Jng9Qe-xP_4O0o&usqp=CAc.png

Danmtchl, Mikie and Obsidian like this.
  3. Derkderkall

Derkderkall iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
    After discussions with several dermatologists, I've switched to using a zinc oxide sun screen. Where the zinc oxide are the only active ingredients. I prefer the badger brand as seen here https://www.rei.com/product/134561/badger-sport-spf-35-clear-zinc-unscented-sunscreen-cream-29-oz
    Also use uv protective clothing and neck gaitor when possible.

4. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Danmtchl likes this.
  5. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    Danmtchl and Mikie like this.
  6. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    I bathe my head and face in Sun Bum or Headhunter 50 for surfing. I guess I'm going to die an ugly, premature, toxic death.

7. Sasquatch9billion

Sasquatch9billion iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    trinidad j. mendez
    Life, it's a harm reduction model I guess.

...What deodorants are people using?

8. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    Screen Shot 2022-02-25 at 8.32.05 PM.png

9. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    I have been using Sun Bum lately since the rep left a few bottle to sample. Works really well. But I think Banana Boat is still a hair better.

Mikie, Danimal and Sasquatch9billion like this.
  10. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Danmtchl, Mikie and Sasquatch9billion like this.
  11. CBone

CBone iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    None. Social distancing for the win

12. OTHRider

OTHRider Well-Known Member

Name:
    Duke
    Current Bike:
    '18 Salsa Cutthroat
    My wife is a baby of the 70's, light-skinned, red head with freckles and pretty much plastered herself with Bain de Soleil Oil, #4 - me too! She also visits her dermo twice a year. The last three seasons have seen too many cuts, freezes and Moh's to count. She went in November and only had few frozen off. Her previous Moh's sites were clear. For some reason, she went back last month, and sure as sh*t, she crossed the line into the melanoma group.

She had worked for a dermo for 5 years and knew the path she faced. No panic, just follow the plan. She will have a second surgery Wednesday with an oncologist. They will also take a sample for genetic testing to ensure she gets the best treatment available for her specific body type.

Needless to say, I now have an appointment with my dermo. It's been at least five years since I last saw him.

13. blixet

blixet Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Transition Scout, TJ Ti
    I am very sorry to hear this. I hope her treatment plan is successful and she has a perfect and complete recovery. :thumbsup:

14. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Very sorry to hear this. Best wishes for a positive outcome for you both.

15. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Sorry to hear that @OTHRider hopefully they can stop it best wishes to you and your wife.

See your derms every one!

16. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    I drove a convertible for 5 years (2007 Honda S2000). I never put sunscreen on for the daily drives, and I had to have the top down because the car looked better that way. Those short drives added up. Sure enough, I had a basal cell carcinoma burned off my left arm. Sold the car after that for a hardtop and I considered myself lucky.

My paternal grandfather gave not one Sh!t about sunscreen and went in monthly for basal cell burn offs.

I slather myself in SPF 50 before every ride. One of the most annoying parts of my pre-ride routines, but I am blue eyed and ridiculously white. Within the last couple of years I started wearing long sleaves on all my rides, but still put sunscreen on the arms. YMMV.

17. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    I have a friend who’s dad is a dermatologist and the left arm is one of the most common places for Melanoma. Which is not surprising because if you have the window rolled down your arm is subject to the sun.

18. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    As a driver who has their driver side door open 99.9% of the time, I can relate.

Faust29, Mikie, OTHRider and 3 others like this.
  19. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Lately I'm using lack of riding. When I do ride, it's sun sleeves and SPF 50 on the nose.

No particular reason other than being a child of the late 1960s / early 1970s. Beach. Coppertone. Bake/broil, repeat.

No issues as of yet other than on my scalp (!!!!!) because of sunburns there a couple times, but why invite trouble?

Investigate 5 flourouracil and why it works.

Faust29 and Mikie like this.
  20. OTHRider

OTHRider Well-Known Member

Name:
    Duke
    Current Bike:
    '18 Salsa Cutthroat
    Thank for the nice thoughts all. A quick update. Her tests came back and placed her in the Melanoma Type 1A category. This is great news. It is the lowest ranking possible within the spectrum and her score is just above the minimum. She did have to go back to the oncologist for a more thorough (and deeper) surgery. She now has a 6" long incision held in place with 14 stiches. Due to her low score she is on a "let's keep an eye on it" protocol. She will require quarterly exams and semi-annual scrapes for testing for at least two years. Needless to say, her days of being a sun lover are over.

Faust29, Mikie, siata94 and 9 others like this.
  21. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    That's great news - considering the possibilities. Glad to hear it.

22. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    A dermatologist used that on a stubborn wart I was dealing with in the late 70's. Worked like a charm. Science works!

Faust29, Mikie and Runs with Scissors like this.
  23. ronyslav1

ronyslav1 Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    Ronyslav Crashynskiy
    Good news for your relative! That's what timely detected disease means! preventive checkups are more important than ever
    Everyone's risk is ambiguous. You can find out your own risk with the help of a detailed medical history of your relatives and a genetic test (expensive thing, very much. Insurance does not cover this).
    And in general, I have already expressed my position above. These creams are interesting for me only as moisturizers. But for this there are softer types of cosmetics. I got myself a water-gel from official store . 100% of moisturizing the skin is done
    maryann-hydro-care-cream_650x.jpg

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?