Sunscreen, Who's Using What?

Discussion in 'Health' started by Cornholio, May 22, 2017.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    Can I make a suggestion y’all, look up the EWG ( Environmental Working Group) sunscreen rating for your current sunscreens.... There are chemicals in sunscreens (esp the spray) that are actually VERY harmful for your skin! Zinc is you’re best bet! But don’t hide from the sun, it’s benefits far outweigh the negatives IMHO.
    From,
    Yo mama:p:D

-ROCKY-, Faust29, Mikie and 10 others like this.
  2. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    I just spread cooking oil on me for that SoCal healthy tan look!

Or Hawaiian Tropic Coconut Oil. Smells better than Wesson.

(No - don't do this. Those who did in the 70s are paying heavily for it now).

tick, -ROCKY-, ricke24 and 9 others like this.
  3. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Friends, slather the sheet out of yourselves with sunscreen when you are out playing under the sun. It does not take direct sunlight beams to get burned when you are out there. Reapply after a few hours if possible.

-ROCKY-, Faust29, Mikie and 6 others like this.
  4. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    I know a few people that ride with these. http://dabrim.com/html/products/cycling/sporty.htm

Not sure if there are other brands. Looks very goofy but does keep the sun off. Helps if you're not fast enough for the brim to flop around a lot.

-ROCKY-, Faust29, Mikie and 7 others like this.
  5. Bill

Bill Member

Name:
    Bill
    Current Bike:
    it's black
    I only buy kids sunblock, generally it does not sting your eyes from drips of perspiration off your forehead. You still have to keep the sunblock from your eyes while applying it though. You also can get a HALO headband which has a "squeegee" like section inside the headband and does a fantastic job of keeping drips out of your eyes.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002JS64LU/?tag=imtbtrails-20

-ROCKY-, Faust29, Mikie and 5 others like this.
  6. sir crashalot

sir crashalot iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    I always wear sunscreen. Zinc. In the summer I try to wear long sleeved hi-tech “breathable” shirts but I always overheat so easily and take them off. Just bought a new one to try cause I know I’ve gotta protect. I’ve been wearing a bandana around my neck, which has become the part of me most sensitive to sun. Luckily I have some pigmentation.

7. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
  8. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    -ROCKY-, Faust29, Mikie and 8 others like this.
  9. siata94

siata94 Well-Known Member

Name:
    siata
    Current Bike:
    lazy goat
    I use Badger with 18.75% zinc. Badger has 1 with 22.5% zinc.

10. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Back in my messenger days, we used to use Hawaiian Tropic and Copper tone with coconut oil. Drove people nuts on the elevators

-ROCKY-, Danmtchl, Faust29 and 6 others like this.
  11. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Thanks...this thread should be Sunscreen '19.

We started the Divide with two Da Brims. One made it back. The buckles don't do a great job of staying cinched down on a hard object. I made one out of foam but found it too floppy at speeds and when windy.

Which led me to the wallboard. I started out with one visor in front and one in back for the neck. (Prolly healthy to be leery of how one attaches things to a helmet; I'm sure some of the stuff I've done would be cringed at my a helmet mfr.) It was great until I had to use my shell jacket hood, then I ripped it off and kept the front one.

V2, made for AZT, which was trimmed back for general trail riding. Attaches to existing visor only:

IMG_1163.jpg

Three tiny holes drilled and pop-rivet'ed on. It's been bomber for a year. It extends about 3" beyond my stock helmet visor.

The mask thingie also keeps sun off the back of my neck, but I would still additionally sport a bandana for some conditions.

Ready to look creepy on the trail yet? Or would you rather spend time indoors, at a plastic surgeon's office, him trying to hack out the bad parts of your face and not leave you looking like an experiment?

@knucklebuster, TFPU. I haven't had a similar procedure yet. One office wanted to give me a "Blue Light" treatment, but I didn't go through with it for some reason. I've had freezing, excision and MOHS surgery. I have used flouro-whatsit-based creams in the past, and yes, they are pretty gnarly.

12. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
    Fluorouracil. Nasty stuff. Already done one round on my lips, will have to do another soon. Too many burnt lips as a kid...

Anything mineral based. Mostly vertra sticks for lips (and entire face and ears when surfing) and cvs brand mineral based suncreen for everything else (kids 50 i think? it's in a yellow tube). Or whatever I have on hand.

Long sleeves almost always. Should probably start using a bandana for my ears and neck.

Also, trying to stay out of the sun midday.

-ROCKY-, Danmtchl, Faust29 and 5 others like this.
  13. blixet

blixet Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Transition Scout, TJ Ti
    I am naturally skeptical of the multitude of articles published claiming this good for you, then it's bad for you, then a study implies it's not bad given the alternatives...
    but... having said that, I read a lot and came across this one: https://www.outsideonline.com/2380751/sunscreen-sun-exposure-skin-cancer-science

The blurb hook is "Current guidelines for sun exposure are unhealthy and unscientific, controversial new research suggests—and quite possibly even racist. How did we get it so wrong?"

I finish riding by 10 AM every day. Same with surfing. I wear UV protective long sleeve athletic shirts and always wear UV protective sunglasses. Also, I use Coppertone Sport. I don't find it runs into my eyes when I sweat. I know I should switch to something zinc based and probably will. Nothing will ever make up for my early years around the pool and the beach. We used to have contests to see who could burn the worst and get the biggest swath of skin peeling off in a whole piece. Yikes!

Have had numerous basal cell carcinomas removed, a couple of squamous ones which I found a bit more concerning. Have had Moh's surgery at least 3 times that I can remember and get AKs spritzed with liquid N or CO2 or whatever comes out of the torture device my dermo uses. Probably die of something other than skin cancer though, so I try to take reasonable precautions and balance with the healthy need for some sun exposure.

-ROCKY-, Danmtchl, Faust29 and 8 others like this.
  14. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    Interesting article, thanks!

-ROCKY-, Danmtchl, Faust29 and 4 others like this.
  15. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Great article, states the obvious. Tan, don't burn. But to pull the racist card is just stupid and counterproductive.

I'm headed to the dermatologist on Wednesday, because I've got things on my bald pate that need checking. Yes, I sunburned my scalp ages ago. My arms, on the other hand, have always been tanned and have no issues.

My bigger concern is my eyes. Since I wear spectacles I never wore sunglasses until the last 5 years or so. Some sun damage there already.

-ROCKY-, Danmtchl, Faust29 and 6 others like this.
  16. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley

mike, -ROCKY-, Danmtchl and 1 other person like this.
  17. Robbie

Robbie Guest

I've had about 9-10 basal and squamous cancers over the years. I use the Halo band with neck cover and sweat dam, Pearl Izumi arm and leg covers, and Neutrogena or Coppertone 55 SPF on face. The leg covers especially are uncomfortable on hot days (like todays at Oaks), but it is good having them with all the plant encroachment for scratch, tick and poison ivy protection. I get checked by derma 2x a year. That mark on my nose in the pic is a biopsy scrape from last week, turns out it is another basal or squamous. In for Mohs surgery this Friday. I've come out with Frankenstein stitch work on a few of these things.

Oaks.jpg

Danimal, mike, Old&InTheWay and 5 others like this.
  18. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Combining the two Sunscreen threads. Good Stuff!

mike, -ROCKY-, Cyclotourist and 2 others like this.
  19. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    You combined while I was typing my post, and I lost it. :Roflmao :p

Anyway... I try to keep sunscreen in all of the cars, at the front door, and in the garage. If it's there, the kids will take it and use it when they're home this summer. My family does not have a good record with cancer, so I've tried drilling that into the kids since they were little. I've had a couple troubling spots removed and would like to break the family cycle.

I have several pair of the Pearl sleeves and usually wear them. I also slather the sunscreen on... Usually Coppertone, but am always on the lookout for something better. Just ordered a tube of what @bvader recommended above. :thumbsup:

mike, -ROCKY-, Cyclotourist and 2 others like this.
  20. ricke24

ricke24 Member

Name:
    RickE
    Current Bike:
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010C
    I usually don't wear sunscreen but really should. I hate putting it on my face especially because it goes in my eyes and burns, certainly not fun when you are riding down a hill, good thread

Mikie, Faust29, mike and 3 others like this.
  21. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    I wear longsleeve linen shirts in the summer for that classy debonair look. They aren't SPF rated, but they provide some protection, with basic sunscreen underneath. The linen is great for hot temps... doesn't heat you up at all!

Super-Fred:

3732618575_03305c9a46_o.jpg

DangerDirtyD, Mikie, Faust29 and 4 others like this.
  22. blixet

blixet Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Transition Scout, TJ Ti
    I feel for you. I've got the Frankie look too. The Mohs on my nostril required a skin graft. It's a tough place because there isn't a whole lot of skin to grab to suture up the hole. Good luck!

Mikie, Faust29, mike and 3 others like this.
  23. -ROCKY-

-ROCKY- Well-Known Member

Name:
    Rocky
    I really like the custom visor @mike !!! First few times out I thought I need something like that. Thanks for posting!!! :thumbsup:

Mikie, Faust29, mike and 1 other person like this.
  24. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    Interesting article. I actually having a riding friend that works for the magazine by I don't like the way they interject their OBVIOUS political leanings into so many of their articles and consequently, personally find them less credible. It became 10X worse once the current President was elected and I cancelled my prescription.

Mikie and -ROCKY- like this.
  25. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Yup....

Oh ummm, that's probably not what you meant. My bad.

Mikie, Cyclotourist and -ROCKY- like this.
  26. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    You should only change prescriptions on the advice of your doctor.

But subscriptions, on the other hand, are a dime a dozen. :sneaky:

Mikie, Cyclotourist and -ROCKY- like this.
  27. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSN925BRfztuEoyEDStbVjmwKY5ZDaq5_DCsRvmDEexiwNVSwlwKg.jpg

28. ronyslav1

ronyslav1 Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    Ronyslav Crashynskiy
    Usually I do not use sunscreen, I just try to cover it with a hat, glasses, etc. I do not do this after the FDA studies about the dangers of the ingredients that are used for these creams

29. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    ^^^BAM^^^
    This.
    I can not get myself to rub chemicals on my skin full well knowing what is in them. Our skin is the largest organ we have and it absorbs that crap into our system. I would much rather wear UV Sleeves. I have been known to toss "some" sunblock poison on the top of my ears and barely some on my nose.
    I just visit my dermatologist more than probably others. I'm schedule for an appointment even now as a matter of fact. :D

30. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    It's Doctah Hooligan.
    Hi Doctah Hooligan!

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?